2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Do you think Evgenia/Sofia/Stanislava will retire soon?

Because from now on it won't get any easier for them to win with the 3A coming + injuries + not having a quad or 3 axel, etc... And apparently, to some people, if you don't have a high chance to medal at every competition, then what's the point of even wanting to compete ;)

I don't think they will. If Alena Leonova can compete so "late" in her life, so can they. And if they decide to focus on something else, then so be it. Maria Sotskova seems to be quite focused on her uni, and yet she's still not retiring.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden

Because from now on it won't get any easier for them to win with the 3A coming + injuries + not having a quad or 3 axel, etc... And apparently, to some people, if you don't have a high chance to medal at every competition, then what's the point of even wanting to compete ;)

I think the big difference between Alina and Sofia/Sanislava is that Alina has won "everything" while Sofia and Stanislava havent. Evegenia is more similar to Alina in having won a lot but she doesnt have the OGM and I think it bothers her a bit and pushes her to continue while Alina dont have this type of motivator.
But as I have said before I think she will compete next season. If she gets pushed of the Worlds/Euros team I could see her quit for the 20/21 season but she will fight with the 3A (and other possible skaters) for a place on the team next season. As she should do!

Ulrica

On the Ice
So, does anyone knows if Alina has announced her music yet? I'm really curious about what she'll choose, I'd love for her (or Evgenia, or Shcherbakova, or Elizabeta but this last one is unlikely) to skate to Danse Macabre.
Also, is Leonova still competing?

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice

I honestly hope that all of the older russian ladies(so 20+ especially) are extra motivated to still compete and be better than the upcoming juniors. It would make the season even more exciting

Happy Skates

Final Flight
So, does anyone knows if Alina has announced her music yet? I'm really curious about what she'll choose, I'd love for her (or Evgenia, or Shcherbakova, or Elizabeta but this last one is unlikely) to skate to Danse Macabre.
Also, is Leonova still competing?

No she has not announced it. I also really wanted her to skate to Danse Macabre, but it was recently announced that LilBet is skating to it, which rules that possibility out.

Finley

Record Breaker
I agree with your interesting assessment hippo. Alina has the clout to skate a limited schedule if she wants and she probably should. But it will be hard for her to do because her competition is much much greater than what Yuna Kim had to in 2010 and 2014. Yuna could afford to coast into the 2014 Olympics and she did. I don't think Alina can miss as much time as Kim did and still be golden. But I don't necessarily want Zagitova to push as hard next season than she did this season. Especially the way she pushed herself through injuries at times.

Yuna had a clear path to make the Korean Olympic Team. Barring injury, she was always going to have the opportunity to fight for a second Olympic medal.

Alina is going to have to strike a perfect balance of fighting with everything she has to stay within striking distance of the top Russian girls without over doing it and getting seriously injured. She has to do this for 3 more seasons if she is going to make it to Beijing. The only way to do it is to take it season by season, competition by competition.

She has the ultimate advantages and disadvantages -

She already has all the medals her pocket. On one hand confidence, on the other complacency. She knows she can do it, but there is also the question of why are you fighting so hard for something you already have.

She skates every single day with 3A's + Kamila. Her toughest competition for making any Russian team is literally right in front of her face, next to her on the ice. It remains to be seen whether it discourages her or empowers her.

Also she is young enough. She will be 19 for Beijing. The same age as Yuna in Vancouver. One year older than Adelina in Sochi. We'll see what happens. It's a different world now and I can't even imagine what it will look like by 2022. But I can imagine Alina having the tech content necessary to earn one of the three spots on the team if she is healthy.

Maju

On the Ice
It’s weird to think that now, there are no younger girls that can pop up for a spot on the Olympic team. Kamila and co are the last group.
It’s interesting that we already know the contenders for Russia

Last edited:

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
It's crazy to think that by the time Beijing 2022 arrives:

Anna S and Sasha T will be 17; Alyona Kosto will be 18; Kamila V will be 15, Alysa Liu will be 16

They will all probably be facing some of the same challenges that Alina/Evgenia have in the past couple of seasons. Hopefully by then, our current seniors will be much more stable, mature, confident and well-rounded athletes.

Then, there's the possibility that, whoever will become the next Olympic champion is not even in our radar yet :think:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yuna had a clear path to make the Korean Olympic Team. Barring injury, she was always going to have the opportunity to fight for a second Olympic medal.

Alina is going to have to strike a perfect balance of fighting with everything she has to stay within striking distance of the top Russian girls without over doing it and getting seriously injured. She has to do this for 3 more seasons if she is going to make it to Beijing. The only way to do it is to take it season by season, competition by competition.

She has the ultimate advantages and disadvantages -

She already has all the medals her pocket. On one hand confidence, on the other complacency. She knows she can do it, but there is also the question of why are you fighting so hard for something you already have.

She skates every single day with 3A's + Kamila. Her toughest competition for making any Russian team is literally right in front of her face, next to her on the ice. It remains to be seen whether it discourages her or empowers her.

Also she is young enough. She will be 19 for Beijing. The same age as Yuna in Vancouver. One year older than Adelina in Sochi. We'll see what happens. It's a different world now and I can't even imagine what it will look like by 2022. But I can imagine Alina having the tech content necessary to earn one of the three spots on the team if she is healthy.

All so true. Alina will have an amazing ride to the next Olympic games whether she makes the team or not.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

I don’t see Sofia and Stanislava retiring until oly cycle finishes. They have just finished their first senior year, and I don’t think they are planning to retire anytime soon.
Possibility of an Olympic medal is not a deal breaker for deciding whether to retire or not for many skaters :)

I think Evgenia and Liza will also skate until next Olympics, unless something unfortunate happens (aka new serious injury etc).

But the competition doesn’t seem likely to get any easier, and I can see how ladies who won’t make it to worlds and Europeans in 2020, can be struggling to get both gp assignments in 20-21 as a result of their rank falling, and new stronger girls coming out of juniors with quads and 3A. At some point, rusfed will stop betting on older girls and decide to support the new ones.

For Russian ladies, none of them have the luxury to mess up at any point during the year. Mess up a challenger and one gp event? Rusfed will quickly cast you aside for another more promising skater.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sure, people can ask because they're truly interested, but mostly this thread is like that meme:

No one:
Literally no one:
Random person on GS: So is Alina retiring yet?

or

No one:
Literally no one:
Random person on GS and elsewhere: Sure it's great that she has that quad/3A now, but wait until she's a senior!

Mostly I feel like this is another example of sexism among other things. Like, Yuzuru gets praised and encouraged after winning 2 OGMs, Alina is either suggested retirement or gets questioned whether she wants to continue, mostly with the narrative of "she's done enough'. Which is awful.

I completely beg to differ. Many many many male skaters have had retirement discussed, whether or not they have announced any plans. Sexist? No.:noshake:

Attributing motivations to questions is, to me, not helpful. A link to an interview or some other quote showing that Alina intends to continue is all that is needed. She's continuing. Good for her and good for her fans! :yes:

Otherwise, I am reminded of another meme:
No-one:
Literally no-one:
Random person on GS: Oh my God someone asked about Alina retiring they hate Alina they want her to retire!

I think not. :shrug:

Finley

Record Breaker
I completely beg to differ. Many many many male skaters have had retirement discussed, whether or not they have announced any plans. Sexist? No.:noshake:

Attributing motivations to questions is, to me, not helpful. A link to an interview or some other quote showing that Alina intends to continue is all that is needed. She's continuing. Good for her and good for her fans! :yes:

No-one:
Literally no-one:
Random person on GS: Oh my God someone asked about Alina retiring they hate Alina they want her to retire!

Your meme reminds me of "I have food in my fridge therefore there is no such thing as world hunger."

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

First we need to see how all these 3a and quad jumpers will perform this season and how the judging will change, then we need to see how long they will last, Tutberidze's skaters are so disposable.

Samodurova will last for many years: Mishin believes in long lasting skaters, he teaches a technique that can last, and btw we know she is also working on 3A.

Medvedeva wants to win gold at 2022 Olympics, so she will continue at least for this Olympic cycle.

Konstantinova seems the one who is aging worse, some of her jumps needs a bit of rework, but a good thing about her and the coaching team is that they seem to be interested on making these adjustments. She used to have a quite ugly double axel, and she fixed that.

Chances are either Trusova or Kostornaya or Shcherbakova will end their career sooner than the 3 you mentioned.

Scott512

Record Breaker

No-one:
Literally no-one:

It's a little bit of both.

Vanderska makes the pertinent point that cannot be trumped and that's Yuzu who has been injured more than Alina wins two Olympic gold medals and is complemented to the hilt as he should be. Alina wins one gold medal and some people are asking when is she going to retire or if she is going to continue. It kind of makes you go hmmm. But hey it is what it is.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a little bit of both.

Vanderska makes the pertinent point that cannot be trumped and that's Yuzu who has been injured more than Alina wins two Olympic gold medals and is complemented to the hilt as he should be. Alina wins one gold medal and some people are asking when is she going to retire or if she is going to continue. It kind of makes you go hmmm. But hey it is what it is.

But that point is not proven. :scratch2: I spend a lot of time in the men’s threads, and I am not going to talk about the men in the Russian Ladies thread, but saying that posters don’t talk about men retiring doesn’t make it so.

If someone says “boy I really don’t like Alina and maybe she’s going to retire” then someone else who doesn’t want her to retire should say “what do you mean, she’s the greatest and she’s not retiring”:thumbsup:

But if someone merely says “I wonder if Alina is retiring”, isn’t the obvious answer “no she’s not [citation] and thank heavens she isn’t, cause she’s the greatest”

Not some theory about why the question was asked, or the motivation of the poster?

Scott512

Record Breaker
First we need to see how all these 3a and quad jumpers will perform this season and how the judging will change, then we need to see how long they will last, Tutberidze's skaters are so disposable.

Samodurova will last for many years: Mishin believes in long lasting skaters, he teaches a technique that can last, and btw we know she is also working on 3A.

Medvedeva wants to win gold at 2022 Olympics, so she will continue at least for this Olympic cycle.

Konstantinova seems the one who is aging worse, some of her jumps needs a bit of rework, but a good thing about her and the coaching team is that they seem to be interested on making these adjustments. She used to have a quite ugly double axel, and she fixed that.

Chances are either Trusova or Kostornaya or Shcherbakova will end their career sooner than the 3 you mentioned.
What? One of 3a will retire before Zhenya SS and Stasya? 1% chance that happens by my guesstimation. I can only think that you think it's risky for 3a to skate the way they do or train as hard as they do. Correct?

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico

That's so mean and unfair!!! :shock2:

VenusHalley

Final Flight
That's so mean and unfair!!! :shock2:

How is that unfair? She has so many.

And the way the team went and talked about how Alina was so difficult this season... this season, she was the only one senior, they had things to prove with her after Evgenia leaving. Will they have enough emotional investment to coddle Alina next season?

I feel than in 2022, it will be somebody whom we do not know yet to be prime star of Team Tutberidze.