2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 141 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
People are literally saying that Alina deserves better choreographers, and of course the counter-argument is gonna be "you're just hating on her".

Maju

On the Ice
I love how Alina is getting hate even though Daniil choreographed her program.
I know you’re probably just referring to the general reception of the situation, but just to be clear I absolutely love Alina. She’s my favourite skater and the one who brought me to the sport and my criticism is 100% towards Danny G :) However while I don’t agree/enjoy all of his work I do respect him as a choreographer especially for things like Kostornaia’s programs and Alina’s Olympic programs.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I haven't seen anyone hate on Alina. Everyone including the original choreogepaher Jojo Gomez are mad at Daniil.

And rightfully so on Gomez's part (she tagged Daniil and not Alina, which is an important distinction). If he meant it as an homage, this wasn't the way to go about it and judging from the choreographer's reaction on insta, it doesn't seem like she was approached prior to this footage getting out. It's very poor form on Daniil's part to copy another choreographer's work like that even if he meant well.

ruga

Final Flight
Oh god even the original choreographer criticised Daniil. It's a new drama coming up.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Is the Video where Danil copied the coreografy from some sort of music video connected to bille english or just some unrelated dancers interpretation of it?

If its the first case i would assume copying coreorgaphy is a way of conecting the skating routine to the "original" dance. But if the dancer has nothing to do with the actual artist it just comes across as copying (especially since he apperas to not give credit to her)

Vandevska

Medalist
Oh god even the original choreographer criticised Daniil. It's a new drama coming up.

As she should have. And this is pretty ironic considering the previous drama around the song choice.

ruga

Final Flight
Is the Video where Danil copied the coreografy from some sort of music video connected to bille english or just some unrelated dancers interpretation of it?

If its the first case i would assume copying coreorgaphy is a way of conecting the skating routine to the "original" dance. But if the dancer has nothing to do with the actual artist it just comes across as copying (especially since he apperas to not give credit to her)

JoJo's dance had nothing to do with original video. That's why it's a problem. Had this been from official video, there would probably be no fuss.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

It doesn't really matter if Jojo Gomez was hired to create the choreography or not. It is her original work either way. Considering Gomez is a high profile celebrity choreographer, it's very likely that the dance was commissioned specifically for Bad Guy even if it isn't performed by Billie Eilish (studios/record labels will often commission works from choreographers to promote songs and judging by the production values of Jojo's original video and the link to Universal Music Group - Billie's record label - in the video, that seems very likely) or was created with the consent of UMG. Consent here being the operative term. Since Jojo specifically called DG out for "stealing" it's clear he didn't seek her consent to repurpose her work for Alina's exhibition.

JoJo's dance had nothing to do with original video. That's why it's a problem. Had this been from official video, there would probably be no fuss.

There might be less fuss but it would still be shockingly poor form to lift another choreographer's work without asking for their permission or crediting the creator of the original work.

ruga

Final Flight
I just hope that Daniil gets a nice scolding from Eteri when she gets back home (heard she is in the US now)

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I just hope that Daniil gets a nice scolding from Eteri when she gets back home (heard she is in the US now)

I also hope Daniil gets a good talking to. I don't blame Alina one bit for his decision to copy someone else's work but since she's the one performing the program in public, she's inevitably going to be the face of it. I'm disappointed in him for putting her in such an uncomfortable position.

ruga

Final Flight
I also hope Daniil gets a good talking to. I don't blame Alina one bit for his decision to copy someone else's work but since she's the one performing the program in public, she's inevitably going to be the face of it. I'm disappointed in him for putting her in such an uncomfortable position.

I actually think that Alina may be the biggest victim here. She probably hasn't even seen JoJo's video and didn't realise that something may be wrong here. But at least Jojo didn't tell her name in her post so I hope she won't receive angry messages.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I love how Alina is getting hate even though Daniil choreographed her program.

I haven't seen anyone hate on Alina. Everyone including the original choreogepaher Jojo Gomez are mad at Daniil.

People are literally saying that Alina deserves better choreographers, and of course the counter-argument is gonna be "you're just hating on her".

Really?

Have you seen some of the comments on that IG post?
Including using the "f" word?

I guess the counter-counter argument is that when someone says Alina is receiving "hate" is claim that she's not.

Unless you don't consider calling her a "explitive deleted" copycat hateful.

moriel

Record Breaker
To be honest, I see Jojo Gomez as villain here.
The choreo IS NOT COPYRIGHTED, as she said it herself in the comments. Which means she owns nothing, and she is basically bullying Daniil and Alina.

And I say this as a fellow artist who had quite a few copyright issues before. If there is no copyright, well, you own nothing there.

Vandevska

Medalist
Really?

Have you seen some of the comments on that IG post?
Including using the "f" word?

I guess the counter-counter argument is that when someone says Alina is receiving "hate" is claim that she's not.

Unless you don't consider calling her a "explitive deleted" copycat hateful.

Are you being serious right now? There are so many comments under Jojo's post defending Alina that I basically saw almost no comments towards her. And what I saw (which were less than 3) were from people who aren't involved in FS. If you're trying to cherry pick comments, then what do you have to say about Daniil deleting Jojo's personal comment and then blocking people who were calling him out? Guilty much?

madison

Record Breaker
The choreo IS NOT COPYRIGHTED, as she said it herself in the comments. Which means she owns nothing, and she is basically bullying Daniil and Alina.

And I say this as a fellow artist who had quite a few copyright issues before. If there is no copyright, well, you own nothing there.

I think you write here about the legal aspects, but there are also the ethical aspects. And we all can see that the choreo is copied.

Vandevska

Medalist

It's about the principle of the situation, not the "law". Just because it wasn't written anywhere it doesn't mean that it's not bad. Daniil clearly knows that what he did was wrong as per his reaction. This is ridiculous defending.

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Are you being serious right now? There are so many comments under Jojo's post defending Alina that I basically saw almost no comments towards her. And what I saw (which were less than 3) were from people who aren't involved in FS. If you're trying to cherry pick comments, then what do you have to say about Daniil deleting Jojo's personal comment and then blocking people who were calling him out? Guilty much?

I say any reasonable discussion possible, why shoud anyone react to garbage. It's waste of time, esp. in virtual space.