2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 180 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

ruga

Final Flight
I also wonder what Kamila will get for her FS. Last season, her SP completely and utterly overshadowed the FS, in my opinion. I can't even properly remember what it was about (sorry) because I only have that masterpiece of a SP in mind. I'm so happy she's likely to keep it and just hope they somehow manage to give her something equally as great for the FS.
Her FS was to Spartacus ballet music if I remember it well. It's not used widely in figure skating, but this program wasn't that good, especially when you compare it to the unique concept and choreography of Picasso (Spiegel im Spiegel) SP which truly took all the spotlight.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I have always thought you were pretty fair fan all the way around. While it was kind of sad you turned away from Alina after the Olympics it's fairly normal because flanker did the same thing with Evgenia after the Olympics. Things are always changing for the fans of figure skaters. ;)

It is not right that I would have "turned away from Evgenia after the Olympics". I respect her as an athlete and like her skating (at least when she has a program like Tosca, which belongs among the best programs of the season, if not the best). I'm just not the fan of her as a person. Saying otherwise would be completely insincere from me, I'm not willing to descend to the words like "I am a fan but this or that". But that's also why I very rarely make any comments about her, because I'm aware that I would be probably not objective.

SkySkater

On the Ice
That’s exciting news! Do you have a link? I do love Tarakanova’s skating and imagine a bond program would be well suited to her powerful presence on the ice! It’s just a bit of a shame that she won’t be going senior this season. But it might do her some good to hold out and come in at the right moment to make her big senior entrance. Less over shadowing from other big names perhaps in years to come.

Here is the link to Nastya and the clip from her short program which due to the finger guns looks to be Bond. I think this really fierce character could really suit her and in her Kill Bill program I think she has got that fierceness required to really sell a program like this

Tarakanova has all the basics to become amazing. She just needs to understand music and choreography and restraint. She doesn't have to move her arms every five seconds for 'choreography', especially when it has nothing to do with the music or program. Hopefully Panova can help her with that.

I'm really excited to see her under Panova especially in regard to her arms as she was much calmer and was developing in a more refined way before she moved to Eteri who really pushed her in the opposite direction using her being slightly messy as part of the program for example in her Strange Birds SP I think her arms are the best they've ever been. Hopefully returning to Panova means they will work on this more and develoe in this respect which keeping the power and presence she does have on the ice.

However, I would argue that she does hear the music and respond to it--if you watch even in her disaster free skate last year where she fell and hit her head she still is able to be mostly on the music and get on it properly.

That's exciting news! Nastya is definitely a girl I could imagine skating to a bond program. She has amazing presence and power on the ice. I'm also happy for Sinitsyna. I really loved Kanysheva's programs last season and thought they were well choreographed and very detailed. This might explain why! Sinitsyna is a talented skater and her jumps, spins and skating skills are all so beautiful so I hope she gets some programs that really fit her. I don't know much about Frolova, I think I saw her at Junior Nationals but she didn't really stand out to me. Hopefully that will change once she gets a JGP event this season (is she likely to get one?) and gets the chance to compete internationally. Also, could you maybe share the clips of their programs? Or tell us the name of the choreographer because I'm interested to see them. That would be nice. :)

Here is the choreographers Instagram and in the work insta story folder I think she has the clips of the choreo she has done for the Panova girls though I can't seem to find the clip of Frolova so I'll look for that.

Frolova (and Shabotova but that's beside the point) in my opinion are severely underrated for what they can do. They have really good skating skills spins and close to immaculate tech on their jumps one of them used to have a flutz from when they were under Bulchyeva (Anna Shcherbakova, Sofia Akatieva, Alena Kanysheva and even I think Daria Usacheva's original coach) but Panova has pretty much fixed it. Also Anna's axel is a bit dodgy but the Panova camps axels have improved significantly in the last year and I expect this to improve (compare Shabotova's axels at the beginning and end of the season to see the difference)

Anna Frolova particularly has a relatively understated performance style her SP this year isn't my favourite though if you watch from 1.30 ish her step sequence is by far the highlight due to her amazing skating though her performance isn't completely consistent throughout the skate. Her Esmeralda free skate was a highlight for me this year out of the new juniors and in my top three programs in that regard because I love her lightness and how easy she makes it look especially in the first half where she flies across the ice especially with her running edge which beats any leg kick in my opinion. However, all of the Panova girls were under lots of pressure at Russian Nats especially because of the doping scandal and none of them competed as well there as they did in the smaller domestic competitions. I really hope she gets a JGP and I think she has a very good shot of getting at least one though it will depend on girls like Gubanova and Tarusina

In regards to Sinitsyna I agree to an extent though I loved her latin program from last season when she would really perform (though not in Ted's opinion apparently she was another 'blank Russian' not that I'm salty) and come alive and I think that ability to sell us that she is having fun as she competes is really impressive. I'm so excited to see what she does as she has all the talent to be crazy successful--which other skater successfully backloaded all three combos, got all of their spins at level four and step sequence (and here's the scores to prove that she's the fourth girl listed)

Anyways if you can't tell I'm really excited to see the Panova girls next season and to see what they do next.

It is not right that I would have "turned away from Evgenia after the Olympics". I respect her as an athlete and like her skating (at least when she has a program like Tosca, which belongs among the best programs of the season, if not the best). I'm just not the fan of her as a person. Saying otherwise would be completely insincere from me, I'm not willing to descend to the words like "I am a fan but this or that". But that's also why I very rarely make any comments about her, because I'm aware that I would be probably not objective.

Can I ask what makes you dislike her as a person? I don’t think I’ve seen anyone make such a comment before, usually praises are being sang about how sweet and sincere she is? Obviously, if you think this will just cause problems in the forum don’t respond. But just genuine curiosity on my behalf about why you feel that way. Is it just as simple as your interests don’t align with hers?

SkySkater

On the Ice
Also if anyone wants to watch something adorable here is Anna Frolova's old free skate from last year which despite being a little messy at the start is absolutely adorable and you can really see how much she has grown compared to this year.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
In regards to Sinitsyna I agree to an extent though I loved her latin program from last season when she would really perform (though not in Ted's opinion apparently she was another 'blank Russian' not that I'm salty) and come alive and I think that ability to sell us that she is having fun as she competes is really impressive. I'm so excited to see what she does as she has all the talent to be crazy successful--which other skater successfully backloaded all three combos, got all of their spins at level four and step sequence (and here's the scores to prove that she's the fourth girl listed)

:clap: :clap:

I'm so excited for Sinitsyna this year! She's so talented, has a complete package (maybe besides consistency but still) and this could really be her year. I wonder what style programs she will have :think:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I know this really doesn't mean anything and it's kind of unncessecary anyway but I just wanted to say that I did not "turn away" from Alina after the OG. This term makes it sound much worse than it is. As if something happened that made me stop liking her. Which is not true. I still like her a lot (there is a reason why I became a fan in the first place) and when I watch her skate I still have my fingers crossed that everything will turn out alright for her and I'm happy when she's happy. It's just that I'm not as much of a hardcore fan like I am for Zhenya and Aliona where I'm so ridiculously nervous watching them that I always worry and can't even properly pay attention. Which is probably just self-defense. It was already hard during the Olympics with "my" Russian girls and when Aliona came along with that beautiful skating of hers, she just stole the show. You're right, though, it happens. Just felt the strange need to clarify this here.

But now onto different topics:

That's exciting news! Nastya is definitely a girl I could imagine skating to a bond program. She has amazing presence and power on the ice. I'm also happy for Sinitsyna. I really loved Kanysheva's programs last season and thought they were well choreographed and very detailed. This might explain why! Sinitsyna is a talented skater and her jumps, spins and skating skills are all so beautiful so I hope she gets some programs that really fit her. I don't know much about Frolova, I think I saw her at Junior Nationals but she didn't really stand out to me. Hopefully that will change once she gets a JGP event this season (is she likely to get one?) and gets the chance to compete internationally. Also, could you maybe share the clips of their programs? Or tell us the name of the choreographer because I'm interested to see them. That would be nice. :)

I also wonder what Kamila will get for her FS. Last season, her SP completely and utterly overshadowed the FS, in my opinion. I can't even properly remember what it was about (sorry) because I only have that masterpiece of a SP in mind. I'm so happy she's likely to keep it and just hope they somehow manage to give her something equally as great for the FS.

Thank you for your clarification and explaining it better than I did. ;)

zounger

Medalist
:clap: :clap:

I'm so excited for Sinitsyna this year! She's so talented, has a complete package (maybe besides consistency but still) and this could really be her year. I wonder what style programs she will have :think:

One of them I think should be more lyrical to demonstrate her nice upper body and arm movements. Preferably the FS to capitalize more score wise. SP jazzy one? we will see...

Scott512

Record Breaker

Clarification understood. Most people here like Zhenya as a skater and a person.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Tarakanova has all the basics to become amazing. She just needs to understand music and choreography and restraint. She doesn't have to move her arms every five seconds for 'choreography', especially when it has nothing to do with the music or program. Hopefully Panova can help her with that.

I don't know, i think last season the coaching team made mistakes in the SP:

After the test skates, she has never landed the 3ltz-3t in the second half, coaches should have noticed it in time for JGPF, results would have been better there and at senior nationals. We saw at Junior Nationals how much better the whole program felt, she was more comfortable with the combo done first, the performance looked ready for seniors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rhagyC5e64

Personally i don't mind her use of the upper body, she sells her programs more than the other ladies, and that's an aspect where the previous coaching team was working well, personality and performance: it was refreshing to see her choreo sequence at senior nationals with split jumps, knee slide, a spiral held for more than 2 seconds, a showcase of her athletic skills but also a way to bring more maturity into the performance, i wonder if Plushenko specifically worked on that with her, cause that is an aspect he was known for, to live for those steps sequences and choreo moments.

https://youtu.be/6_Ww7jFJgeI?t=220

I miss that in most of modern programs especially from the russian ladies: choreo sequence are often boring, conservative and formulaic: you hit those 3-4 positions rushing a lot and onto the next element because GOE would be inflated anyway so who cares, i get that but as a viewer i can immediately see how much better the performance feels when a skater actually put more effort into steps and choreo sequences.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
New interview with Polya❤❤❤
https://m.sovsport.ru/figure/articles/2:910333
I would be very gratefull if somebody could translate it.��

A very nice interview of Polina.
Such a nice girl, I’m glad she made it up for Eteri and went to talk it out with her in the end.

Her opinion about music controversy might trigger some international fans, but I think that’s just the difference in mentalities.

Seems like Polina is really enjoying some coaching right now too.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I want this type of program for Kamila for her FS next season:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw0s5tPHgih/

With Ina Bauer too, would be so wonderful.

She's my pick for 2022. She doesn't even need to work on her 'artistry', because frankly it has been there since she was 8 and it's already reached fruition. It's just now about getting a quad or two and staving off injury. Her spins are the best in the world, her jumps are light and easy (even that 4toe-3toe looked easy) and she just needs the perfect vehicles to set her apart from everyone.

I'd love to see a LP like this. Her LP last year was forgettable, she could do it in her sleep, not a challenge at all. No injuries, please!!!