2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 187 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Okay SO. I just saw Daniil's announcement for Alina's SP and I'm SO on board! It can become super refined.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Okay SO. I just saw Daniil's announcement for Alina's SP and I'm SO on board! It can become super refined.

Me too! Its something different for her. Now just awaiting sp from Sasha, fp from Anna, and a clarification about the Alyona situation....... (can we like... start a petition for her to go back to "No One Ever Called Me That"? I'm serious...)

P.S. you have excellent taste in avatar pictures :)

Fluture

Record Breaker
Me too! Its something different for her. Now just awaiting sp from Sasha, fp from Anna, and a clarification about the Alyona situation....... (can we like... start a petition for her to go back to "No One Ever Called Me That"? I'm serious...)

I just listened to it and I definitely agree. It‘s something totally different for her and I hope she‘ll show some more emotions in her skating. I think this is promising and will help her grow artistically.

Right, the Aliona situation... I didn‘t want to talk about it again but I would definitely sign this petition. :laugh: No, seriously, I just want to know what‘s going on. I‘m a bit anxious right now, especially with the injury rumours. I just hope it‘s nothing of that sort and she simply didn‘t like the FS anymore or found it didn‘t work out. Now we have to see what her Short program‘s going to look like...

esteticlove

Final Flight

I was about to say that actually both choices for Alina are not that different from her current typical presentation. Her team obviously has found the right box to fit her in - they make use of her warm complexion and natural feminine radiance in order to pull of those performances. Is that bad? No, I also think that those characters fit her well.

While listening to the song though, I might take my words back and admit that the SP might be a new challenge for her. The music is very emotional and slow, while Alina is very good at doing fast step sequences (that's why I am not worried about her Cleopatra program). I hope they don't ruin that piece with mimicking/pantomiming and awkward elements. I am very curious with what they'll come up, I don't see their typical choreo to fit that music. But I am open to be positively surprised. I think that Alina will have the opportunity to show us how much she's matured artistically over the past season and I can't wait to see that.

I am so glad that both Alina and Evgenia (my favourites) have good music choices for the next season. It's such a struggle when I love the skater but not his/her music :laugh:

EDIT: Sorry, I havent had time to read everything. What's the Aljona situation?

Vandevska

Medalist

YES pleaseee

I see you are a man (/woman) of culture too :biggrin:

Vandevska

Medalist
Everyone is getting super nice music and stuff (though it can still be a terrible program :laugh: ) and I just want the same for Aliona :(

ruga

Final Flight
Why are my dreams coming true? I wanted Alina to do some oriental program or something with lyrical Spanish/Latin American team and she's doing both?!

Also, agree on bringing back Aliona's old music. Maybe they can rearrange it for SP?

esteticlove

Final Flight
Ok, I just read about Aliona that she ditched her originally planned FP music and that she's replacing it with the Vampire program instead. I am not sure if it will work out well, but am I the only one that didn't like the original music? I mean I liked it, it was beautiful but too calm. Aljona has great skating skills and is pretty fast on the ice, it would have led to her overskating (is that a word, lol) the music. I had the same impression with Valieva's free from last season too.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Everyone is getting super nice music and stuff (though it can still be a terrible program :laugh: ) and I just want the same for Aliona :(

Well, if the music is good that‘s at least the first step. Choreo is the second. Now we can only pray for Daniil to not ruin it with the music cuts. :laugh: But, seriously, Alina‘s SP is so different that I can‘t see his usual busy style working. It‘s very slow and emotional and I hope and think his choreography and her presentation will reflect that.

Aliona originally was the first who got both her music choices announced of the 4A and I was very happy with them. Sure, I wasn‘t a fan of the Twilight music but it was only the SP and I really loved the FS choice. Now it‘s all so confusing... I hope we‘ll get an announcement from her soon.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I'm in love with Zhenya FS and I like the music choice for the FS of zagitova
I like the music for the zagitova's SP but it's risky because it's a women music ... it's not a easy music to dance

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I’m really starting to wish someone would take their ~4:00 music with accompanying vocals and just use it for a FS instead of cutting it down into a SP.

This is an interesting choice for Alina, though (and for Daniil, too, imho). I don’t know how a whole program to this music would go with the required elements, but there’s the potential for a great Step Sequence in there, powerful but more understated than usual from her.

5Axel

Rinkside
An interesting music choice for Alina.
It's going to be a challenge for her (to skate to slow music and especially to express emotions much more than in her previous programs plus I think she is more of an upbeat skater), but I'm sure it will be a great program if it turns out well. And so different.
I'm glad she will be skating to more womanly music, she 'll become an adult next year afterall.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I'm in love with Zhenya FS and I like the music choice for the FS of zagitova
I like the music for the zagitova's SP but it's risky because it's a women music ... it's not a easy music to dance

I haven‘t seen much from Zhenya‘s FS but I‘m relieved. I was a bit hesitant, originally, about the theme, sometimes Geisha programs not done by Japanese skaters can turn out to be a bit tacky. I was also worried about David Wilson as her choreographer because it didn‘t really work out all too well last year, imo, they just didn‘t fit. But now that she‘s chosen Shae-Lynn and will get her dress done by a Japanese dress maker, I‘m excited. I think this will really suit her.

I have to say, I’m personally not even as much of a fan of the song Alina will use for her SP. It’s just not something I’d listen to, personal taste. What I like about this choice, though, is that it’s so emotional and passionate and so different from what Alina usually does. What I always felt was lacking a bit from Alina‘s skating (for me) was the emotional connection, for her to really feel the music and not skate to it but with it, if that makes any sense. I was happy with her SP at Worlds because to me it looked like her expressions seemed more genuine and I hoped they‘d help her develop along those lines. And I think with this choice, she kind of has to. There‘s no way faking emotions or pretending with this song, it has to be raw and heartfelt. It‘s a challenge for sure, for both her and Daniil but I‘m very excited to see how they‘ll cope. I think Alina will do just fine, she‘s growing artistically and this will help her learn. Daniil, I hope, will think outside the box a bit and adapt to this very different style from what he usually does. Then I can see this turning out beautifully.

Overall, I think they made good choices for her this year. The FS is a bit more similar to what she‘s done before and there will probably be a very fast, busy and almost aggressive step sequence as that‘s what the music requires. That‘s good, we know she can sell that just fine. And then the SP will be slow and passionate and emotional. Great contrast. :thumbsup: from me for these choices.

Georgya

On the Ice
WOW. The choice is so unexpected - the music for Alina's SP is gorgeous - passionate and sensual, like Alina herself :love: I love the spanish rythm for Alina, it suits her, also the sadness behind the lyrics, I can visualise the steps and elements. I'm getting excited about this.

Judging by the photo Eteri posted, maybe Daniel together with Eteri created the program. Which means there must be a masterpiece :luv17: There are more versions of this song I'm really curious what they decided on.

Maybe they got inspired by this Zara and Anton Sikharulidze https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQfcAcIR7O0

or this

Tatyana Navka - Roman Kostomarov https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p6pY8VCwhA

I like both! :pray:

Georgya

On the Ice
Concerning Alena Kostornaia I don't get why some people are making such a big thing of her changing her music. First it's better now than in the middle of the season like some skaters are doing.

Secondly Alena herself stated in an interview that she wants another image - opposite to the angel theme she presented last year. I can understand that a teenage girl can be tired of the angel image. It suits her on ice, but according to Daniil not so much in real life :laugh:

It's better that her team finds a music that Alena actually likes to skate. It's more important than what we, figure skating fans, wish she would skate to. Just my opinion!

Fluture

Record Breaker
Concerning Alena Kostornaia I don't get why some people are making such a big thing of her changing her music. First it's better now than in the middle of the season like some skaters are doing.

Secondly Alena herself stated in an interview that she wants another image - opposite to the angel theme she presented last year. I can understand that a teenage girl can be tired of the angel image. It suits her on ice, but according to Daniil not so much in real life :laugh:

It's better that her team finds a music that Alena actually likes to skate. It's more important than what we, figure skating fans, wish she would skate to. Just my opinion!

It‘s not even the music I‘m so anxious about. (I mean, yes, I am, in a way because I‘m not sure how the judges will like Twilight) But apparently there were rumours in Russian figure skating forums that she’s still injured and that’s why she only made one new program. And whenever something like that comes up, I‘m reminded of the Olympic season and Zhenya‘s injury and how it was kept a secret for quite a while and it worries me. That’s why I’m hoping for an announcement and an explanation from Aliona soon, so that it‘s cleared that she‘s fine and recovered and fit. If she genuinely loves the program and is healthy, I‘d watch her skate to anything, even if I personally am not that sure it‘s the best choice for a senior FS debut program.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I like Alina's SP choice because it's not a heavy character piece. It will be more of a challenge to perform and tell a story with that music. It seems like they're trying to show more versatility this season.

Georgya

On the Ice
It‘s not even the music I‘m so anxious about. (I mean, yes, I am, in a way because I‘m not sure how the judges will like Twilight) But apparently there were rumours in Russian figure skating forums that she’s still injured and that’s why she only made one new program. And whenever something like that comes up, I‘m reminded of the Olympic season and Zhenya‘s injury and how it was kept a secret for quite a while and it worries me. That’s why I’m hoping for an announcement and an explanation from Aliona soon, so that it‘s cleared that she‘s fine and recovered and fit. If she genuinely loves the program and is healthy, I‘d watch her skate to anything, even if I personally am not that sure it‘s the best choice for a senior FS debut program.

I get your point. At the end of june Alena, Alina, Anna and Alexandra participated in a series of skating shows in Japan. I doubt that her team would let her go if they knew her injury was not healed, considering she jumped a lot (also showed a good form there).

Last week she posted about her music change - so if there are legimate rumours about an injury it must be something quite recent, during practice. I also don't see how an injury would lead to her changing her new SP into a LP.

If it's nothing official I would dismiss the rumours. On twitter I've read weeks ago stupid things in english (don't know if they are russians) - that her team "hates" her because she is not jumping quads :) I tried to reason with one by pointing that Alina doesn't jump quads or 3A and she's not "hated" by the team. It was in vain.

Her LP music is powerfull, modern and I don't see how the judges won't like it. Those songs "Eyes On Fire" and "Supermassive Black Hole" were not created especially for Twilight. Alena it's not the first one to skate to Muse :laugh: If the choreo is on point and modern I see an amazing vehicle for Alena's senior debut. From my perspective, Daniil does better the "image" sort of choreography than the "story-telling" one. I actually welcome the fact that Alena will not have another lyrical program