2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 199 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

SkateSkates

Medalist
Very shocked and upset about the news about Nastya. She was just in a photo with other CSKA girls 2 weeks ago and looked fine. I worry for her career.

I wonder if we will ever know the real reason why she was expelled. Sorry but I’m just not buying that physical fitness was the only reason Buyanova kicked her out. I wonder if a conflict stemmed from her not getting a GP assignment.

Maybe she can find a relative from Belarus. Their federation seemed to be open to having high level athletes from Russia represent them.

esteticlove

Final Flight
That's very interesting situation. The whole figure skating world is talking about the power of the Russian ladies but it turns out that it's the power of only one team. This adds pressure on Eteri but I'm sure they are prepared for that. In my opinion, this is Pluschenko's golden chance to start working full time as a coach. Eteri'll still be leading the National team in the next couple of years and he could use the opportunity to establish himself. But it's on him whether he's up to the challenge.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
What about Valentina Chebotareva or Angelina Turenko?

Chebotareva - I like Konstantinova, even when many people doubt about her technique, whether she deserves two GP events etc. I like programs she is giving to her skaters, which, to be honest, I couldn't say about recent programs from Buyanova's team. But with Chebotareva, in my eyes there must be some pattern as Stasya and Misha Kolyada have both nearly the same issues with consistency.

Turenko - don't want to be harsh, but she appears only average coach to me. But I don't know so much about her, if Sima's performance will rise, I am prepared to change my mind.

There is also Tsareva, but that is quite the same case as Turenko to me. I don't know anything about Sokolovskaya.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I really wonder what happened... for a coach to expel a student in the middle of the off-season... it must have been serious.

Poor Nastya.

5Axel

Rinkside
Turenko - don't want to be harsh, but she appears only average coach to me. But I don't know so much about her, if Sima's performance will rise, I am prepared to change my mind.

Turenko used to be Nastya's coach and coached her to 2nd place at JGPF, if I remember it correctly. But then Nastya left her for Buyanova to get that CSKA push.
But sadly, it didn't help.

DeeDee18

On the Ice
That's very interesting situation. The whole figure skating world is talking about the power of the Russian ladies but it turns out that it's the power of only one team. This adds pressure on Eteri but I'm sure they are prepared for that. In my opinion, this is Pluschenko's golden chance to start working full time as a coach. Eteri'll still be leading the National team in the next couple of years and he could use the opportunity to establish himself. But it's on him whether he's up to the challenge.

Not necessarily... Mishin team is making quite the comeback and Medvedeva team is up there

Payako

Rinkside
This is from Rodina who interviewed Nastya Gubanova in april.
This is google-translated.

Inside: Gubanova returned to Petersburg
Dear friends! There was information that our favorite figure skater Anastasia Gubanova returned to train in St. Petersburg! The name of her new coach is still unknown. We wish Nastya great luck, she is a real smarty girl!

What she is amazing, you will understand in my interview. The long-awaited release of "FIGURE" with it will be released very soon! Wait for updates in the feed.

Author Elena Rodina[SUB][/SUB]

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I really wonder what happened... for a coach to expel a student in the middle of the off-season... it must have been serious.

Poor Nastya.

The usual I suppose, teenage girl 'growing up' and having a change in attitude towards the strict training and private life regime. Combined that with a bout of growth and perhaps the realisation that a 2nd tier skater isn't going to make it big in Russia?

Hopefully she has a good head and is studious and dedicated in high school, and has supportive parents and friends to fall back on.

esteticlove

Final Flight
Not necessarily... Mishin team is making quite the comeback and Medvedeva team is up there

I think that you didn't really get the context of what I said. We're not talking about current results but what would happen in the next few years, which coach is going to lead. Evgenia's team as you call it represents only one skater. Even if she manages to make it to Beijing 2022 what will happen after that? Once she leaves figure skating, there's no one from her "team" that could take her place. About Mishin it was already mentioned - he's almost 80, how long will he keep doing this stressful job? And under his team regaining some influence I understand only Tuktamysheva if she lands her 3 axels and actually does some decent choreography. Sonya Samoudurova is a lovely skater with great energy but I don't see her as a leader of the Russian team.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Do we know if Mishin is training/preparing/grooming a successor to take command over the Winged Blades once he retires?

Is there even competition between the Sankt Peterburg rinks for dominance in FFKSPb, including over its leadership?

If Sankt Peterburg 'collapses' after Mishin's retirement, figure skating in the women is is all Moscow's for the taking.

ruga

Final Flight
Ah I'm so sad for Nastya. I hope she still has chances to get a spot at JGP. Also, Buianova's history of training ladies in the past few seasons doesn't look too good - Radionova's prospects are not very promising, Maria left, Polina retired and now Anastasiia is kicked out.

Tyranid

Final Flight
At the beginning of last season, Vodorezova has 4 top-level women: Radionova, Tsurskaya, Sotskova and Gubanova. All can score above two hundred and can potentially make the world team.

Radionova misses the whole season with a back injury, Tsurskaya and Sotskova fail the GP series and Nationals (with 150-180 TSS!). Gubanova's 9'th place at Natioals ends her season and with a 198.65 SB score she doesn't get any GP assignments for the 19-20 season.

What we have now: Tsurskaya retires, Sotskova moves to Sokolovskaya and now Gubanova gets expelled from CSKA altogether (pretty sure that there was more to it than poor shape. I don't think Nastia saw a future in CSKA given her inability to skate at notable competitions for 2 years straight). Vodorezova is now left only with Radionova, along with Voronov and Danielian.

I understand if a coach has one or two skaters struggling in their group but when all four of your skaters have, basically, a failed season, that is not coincidential. Russian netizens have lately been calling CSKA, and Vodorezova's group in particular, a "cemetery of talents". I've been harsh on her myself as I consider her to be THE most overrated Russian coach. Maybe I'm wrong but given recent history it seems like a bad idea to join her group. What do you guys think?

Turenko used to be Nastya's coach and coached to 2nd place at JGPF, if I remember it correctly. But then Nastya left her for Buyanova to get that CSKA push.
But sadly, it didn't help.
I don't think the CSKA bonus is still a thing. Not given how their skaters were scored last season. With Mishin's and Chebatoreva's students now skating better than those of CSKA, the Fed. should be tired of giving them favors.

ruga

Final Flight
. I've been harsh on her myself as I consider her to be THE most overrated Russian coach. Maybe I'm wrong but given recent history it seems like a bad idea to join her group. What do you guys think?

Agree completely. I joined the FS fandom only a few years ago, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't really name any of her female students with major medals besides Sotnikova. Now it seems that joining any other coach - Eteri, Mishin, Sokolovskaia, Davydov, Panova, Turenko, Rukavicin - would be a wiser decision.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Buyanova's wording is rather strict and serious:

"After the camp Nastya was expelled from CSKA because of the inconsistency of her current sports form with the tasks set for her "

It seems vicious and unnecessary. I know the Russian way is often very rough with verbiage. But why do that to a 16 year old child? Nastya gave this nasty coach her only good performances from a female last season. So sad for Anastasia to be embarrassed like this internationally. To rub salt on the wound the way Buyanova did is shameful. Again just say you're parting ways with Anastasia and that's it. Why try to ruin her like she's a pothead or a troublemaker or overweight? Puberty has added a little bit of a womanly figure to her but she's hardly big or overweight.

There is only one coach that can save her and we know who she is but she has too many students as it is so that won't happen.

I hope Nastya goes back to St Petersburg since she loves that City. I hope she can find a quality coach. Mishin could use another girl for when Liza steps aside in a year or two. Nastyas next coach will be her fourth in Four Seasons. SMH.

Others here especially flanker have said she did not have the right coach. They were right.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Poor Nastya.
When I first read your post I did not know what happened or which Nastya it was. I figured it was Nastya T getting bounced again. I was shocked to learn it was Nastya G. It blows me away because we all talked about how she was now the best lady of Buyanova. I hope she can recover but it's like we're seeing her career buried before our eyes. :( And I still don't get why the Russian Federation put her on the senior national team as a reserve.

I know she has issues with jumps and landings but her innate musicality is first class and she has great skating skills. I just don't get what has happened to her. Poor baby girl makes me so sad. I love to watch her skate. It doesn't matter to me if she's the number five Russian or the number 15 Russian. She has a skill set and the ability to flow with music that few do. I know Nasty has added some figure and her legs are stronger but she does not look big to me or nearly as powerful as say Osmond or Liza.

Maybe Yulia lipnitskaya can take her on. She needs someone with some talent to train other than these six-year-old kids she works with. I would love to see her in the kiss and cry with Nastya.

Petition for Nastya to train with Eteri’s team! (I don’t say that lightly either) She has all the right elements to be a perfect skater, she just needs the consistency. I’m sure the team would welcome such a talent?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Or maybe Polina for Nastya. She's a young coach and she's going through everything that Anastasia has.

ruga

Final Flight
She was included in the national team reserve and gets some funding, but I doubt that's enough for foreign coaches, so unless she has a rich family, she won't leave Russia. I think only two or three top Russian ladies could get funding to leave to train overseas as for today.