2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1210 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I didn't say that I am or will be bothered by it or that it will be Kamila specifically. I'm just making an imo pretty realistic guess that the current favorites will probably be outscored by some current junior in 2 years that will jump even more quads, spin even better, do even more transitions etc.... we (or rather Eteri shall I say) don't seem to have reached the ceiling yet.

When you thought Yulia was a phenomenon with her insane flexibility and wow factor- here goes Medvedeva clean at every competition, gold at everything. Medvedeva is good? Along came Zagitova with her 3Lz3Lo, winning the Olympics. You thought Zagitova was her greatest product? Take some Sasha with 4 quads. Not enough artistry for you? Might I delight you with Shcherbakova's quads+musicality?
Oh now you're tired of "jumping beans"? I present you Alena with sophistication and throw in a little 3A.
Now you want 4s, flexibility, artistry and everything combined? Well I have that little girl called Kamila.. let's see if we can make her do 3A as well.
... and so it goes

I would say this was (or still is) a transitional period. First Yulia, Evgenia and Alina maximized what is possible to get from a program with "classic elements" (all triples, hard 3-3 combos, all lvl4 spins and stsq). That brought an advantage over the rest of the field. hen the era of quads and multiple 3A came. That once again brought the advantage to the next batch of skaters. But in this moment I don't think there is much to go further in the sense of adding difficulty. I mean 1-2 clean quads vs "only" triples can be game changer, but 3 quads vs 4 quads not that much, because the execution counts together with the execution of the rest of the program. So I rather expect some sort of stabilization of those new elements and rather than further complicating of the layout I expect the rush for more clean and better executed elements together with improved artistry and not necessarily the quick change of "generations".

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
But in this moment I don't think there is much to go further in the sense of adding difficulty. I mean 1-2 clean quads vs "only" triples can be game changer, but 3 quads vs 4 quads not that much, because the execution counts together with the execution of the rest of the program. So I rather expect some sort of stabilization of those new elements and rather than further complicating of the layout I expect the rush for more clean and better executed elements together with improved artistry and not necessary has to come with the new generation.

This is where I think Anna is quite dangerous.

3 quads at Nationals (I think only the flip was a step out) and she didn't look too puffed. I've seen some of the men look more exhausted than her so she's clearly got the stamina for quads. Throw in the fact that she's very graceful and presents very well. That's a really dangerous combination right there if she stays healthy and over two years turns those quads so that they're stable like triples (they're pretty stable already).

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight

3 quads at Nationals (I think only the flip was a step out) and she didn't look too puffed. I've seen some of the men look more exhausted than her so she's clearly got the stamina for quads. Throw in the fact that she's very graceful and presents very well. That's a really dangerous combination right there if she stays healthy and over two years turns those quads so that they're stable like triples (they're pretty stable already).

I also think she’s dangerous, but not necessarily because of stamina. A strong head will take you a long way (look at Nathan Chen) and she doesn’t seem to be too ruffled by results, especially in comparison to her compatriots. That, along with the consistency, is what is going to push her past the competition.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I'm still looking for a cheap source of supply for a reliable crystal ball. You have a good tip for me, right? ;)

You can buy them at the flea market for $29.99, but I have a few coupons. Want one?

Fried

Final Flight
You can buy them at the flea market for $29.99, but I have a few coupons. Want one?
I thought about it again. Your source of supply is unfortunately of no use to me, because it predict the wrong future. So I'm going to try the flea market. Thanks anyway for the offer! :)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

It is true that during her home workouts she never looks out of breath. Yes, If she doesn't suffer any serious injury, I think she has a big chance to keep all her difficult jumps for a long time and make them even more stable.

zounger

Medalist
Some parts of the interview with Shcherbakova's parents are missing in the Reddit translation. Just mentioning it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I might be twinning with Stanislav.

Her parents sound like nice people who are looking out for her.

There is a full translation on FSU.

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ick-around-interview-with-the-parents.107250/

Stanislav Scherbakov is my new favorite skating parent (after the Browns, but they are not relevant here).

"If Anna retires at the age of 17 I will be upset. Beside her being a quad jumper she is also an artist and depicting the characters is her strong side. At the age of 17 or even 20 there are characters that are too early to depict. It will be an unfinished song no matter how many medals she'll win by then.":agree: (full disclosure, his wife does not appear to agree:biggrin:)

and

"Anna doesn't like the TSCK nor 3A nor any other shortcuts. I bet nor the other girls. They spend so much time and effort to be liked. As a nice gesture the fans could spend a second of their time and type their name.":eeking:

I completely disagree with him about loving a team jumping contest, but hey, everyone loves something different.:) I like his style.

Amei

Record Breaker
There is a full translation on FSU.

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ick-around-interview-with-the-parents.107250/

Stanislav Scherbakov is my new favorite skating parent (after the Browns, but they are not relevant here).

"If Anna retires at the age of 17 I will be upset. Beside her being a quad jumper she is also an artist and depicting the characters is her strong side. At the age of 17 or even 20 there are characters that are too early to depict. It will be an unfinished song no matter how many medals she'll win by then.":agree: (full disclosure, his wife does not appear to agree:biggrin:)

and

"Anna doesn't like the TSCK nor 3A nor any other shortcuts. I bet nor the other girls. They spend so much time and effort to be liked. As a nice gesture the fans could spend a second of their time and type their name.":eeking:

I completely disagree with him about loving a team jumping contest, but hey, everyone loves something different.:) I like his style.

I love that they take her to the bank to invest her money - smart move, 15/16 year olds is an age when parents should really be teaching their kids about finances. So many famous child stars or famous athletes entrust their money solely to some financial advisor and lose everything they made.

I find it interesting that her mother does not watch her competitions, if I remember correctly Lipnitskaya's mother was the same way, wouldn't watch her daughter's performances. .

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Kamila is very talented, yes. And many predict she will win Olympic gold. I just hope to see her performing new programs and not repeating the same programs again.

In order for Kamila to win she will need to overcome the great disadvantage that her debut senior season is the Olympic season. She would likely need to build BIG hype throughout the season and have something extraordinary program wise (kind of like Yulia's Schlinder) because regardless of how great she is she won't be immediately getting the PCS the more seasoned seniors will get and will have to play catch up. The young trio got away with it because their technical marks were untouchable (Kamila won't have that advantage) and the more seasoned ladies really struggled (Alina got that when Evgenia got hurt and other competition were never consistent to start with but for Kamila that question remains a ???) so they couldn't take advantage of any PCS edge they might have had.

If Shcherbakova or Kostornaia (you could probably add Rika too if she can rebound) stay healthy and continue to make improvements it would be very hard for Kamila to simply pop onto the senior scene and take it first season regardless of all her junior hype. They would have by Olympic time big reputations and I doubt the judges would quickly dump them for a hyped up junior if they skated cleanly. Only reason why Alina got away with it is because Evgenia unfortunately gave the judges the chance to replace her by getting injured and taking time off. I bet if Evgenia had not got injured and disappeared for awhile she would have won gold with the performances she gave and no amount of Alina back loading would have changed it.

Now of course I'm not saying she can't win because she can (if she continues to improve on her faults and build on what amazing qualities she already has). Ice is slippery and anything can happen but there are many factors to think of that certainly won't make it easy. Usually girls need a season or two so they can build a reputation before the judges put them on top, Alina and the trio are not the norm.

renebaebae

On the Ice
In order for Kamila to win she will need to overcome the great disadvantage that her debut senior season is the Olympic season. She would likely need to build BIG hype throughout the season and have something extraordinary program wise (kind of like Yulia's Schlinder) because regardless of how great she is she won't be immediately getting the PCS the more seasoned seniors will get and will have to play catch up. The young trio got away with it because their technical marks were untouchable (Kamila won't have that advantage) and the more seasoned ladies really struggled (Alina got that when Evgenia got hurt and other competition were never consistent to start with but for Kamila that question remains a ???) so they couldn't take advantage of any PCS edge they might have had.

If Shcherbakova or Kostornaia (you could probably add Rika too if she can rebound) stay healthy and continue to make improvements it would be very hard for Kamila to simply pop onto the senior scene and take it first season regardless of all her junior hype. They would have by Olympic time big reputations and I doubt the judges would quickly dump them for a hyped up junior if they skated cleanly. Only reason why Alina got away with it is because Evgenia unfortunately gave the judges the chance to replace her by getting injured and taking time off. I bet if Evgenia had not got injured and disappeared for awhile she would have won gold with the performances she gave and no amount of Alina back loading would have changed it.

Now of course I'm not saying she can't win because she can (if she continues to improve on her faults and build on what amazing qualities she already has). Ice is slippery and anything can happen but there are many factors to think of that certainly won't make it easy. Usually girls need a season or two so they can build a reputation before the judges put them on top, Alina and the trio are not the norm.

I don't know how true this is. In Alina's first season she was already getting 75 in PCS points, which is a bit ridiculous to me. If the judges want they can give Kamila any PCS points that they want.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well, the thing there is that it's the Olympic season so scoring will be inflated across the board and more importantly, Valieva actually deserves very high PCS so I'm confident she'll get that. If Alina for example was getting 75, Valieva should be getting at least 78 or so and seeing as the max is 80, I doubt that'll be a significant factor.

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
The first JGP of the season, JGP Canada is also cancelled. I've resigned myself to the fact the JGP won't happen this year.

This could actually really hurt Kamila and the others going into the Olympic season if they only have one international competition (Junior Worlds) in the whole season.

macy

Record Breaker
The first JGP of the season, JGP Canada is also cancelled. I've resigned myself to the fact the JGP won't happen this year.

This could actually really hurt Kamila and the others going into the Olympic season if they only have one international competition (Junior Worlds) in the whole season.

i think they should have waited as long as they could to cancel IMO. a lot of skaters are getting back to training or have done so already and they can hold JGPs without an audience pretty easily. i think it could have been doable.