2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 788 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

esteticlove

Final Flight
Aliona was also amazing. I appreciate her more and more for the high quality of her jumps and skating. I think that her artistic interpretation is not my cup of tea, it's true that her movements are delicate but at the same time it doesn't move me. Nevertheless, she's shown huge progress from last year, where she was the one chasing Anna and Sasha. Today, she was the one to be catched with a comfy margin of points ahead of everyone. I also was amazed by Sasha's attitude despite her mistakes. She very much reminds me of Hanyu.

Overall it was a great SP competition and I hope that it goes that way for the free.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I love Anna's SP. Reactions to it have been soft at previous competitions, but Italian crowd seemed to get it. One of my favorite programs this year.

This was a fun event.

icybear

Medalist
For me, Anna was the highlight of the competition. I loved her beautiful graceful arms and that tinge of sadness of expression throughout the step seq. She captured the essence of the program perfectly today and showed why her musicality is her strength. I thought her interpretation score today should have been higher than Alena as well as the performance cause Alena was behind the music for the step seq and for the ending. Anyway, I'm glad she got a new WR today. Also happy for Alina for nailing that program cleanly.

monochrom3

On the Ice
No one got 9s in transitions?.... weird... :scratch2:

Well one judge gave Alina 7.75 for transitions. Hasn’t the complaint been that she has too many transitions? Today’s transitions were fairly well executed as well. It’s so egregious in the seas of 8s and 9s for her and was definitely unwarranted. Same score for Anna. 7.50 for Trusova but she didn’t really have much transitions compared to the others and not the lowest score in TR for her (another judge with 7). Bradie with 7.50 and Rika with 7.0. He single handedly killed anyone’s chances of getting a 9 just saying. Only Alena was spared (9.25) and in all honesty she has pretty good transitions but I don’t think she was that head and shoulders above everyone else in that component so the judging felt a bit off to me at least. No conspiracy theory just a personal opinion.

But otherwise I think the other judges were pretty alright with the judging. Just thought all the 7s were really out of place by this single judge that was far out of line from every other judge’s. Hope there’s some checks and balances in place with that at least going forward. It’s quite ridiculous to be seeing such discrepancy in judging between different judges at the GPF.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Liza clinches the gold at Golden Spin with a respectable score of 221! Good to see she's not letting the Grand Prix ladies take all the thunder.

Sofia not even on the podium though ... GOE low and PCS not even breaking into the 60's - below even Nicole Schott (no offense to Nicole, but wow Sofia was smushed down) ... yikes

Fluture

Record Breaker
One question: Eurosport commentator said Alina was thinking (or there were rumors, don‘t remember, sorry) about withdrawing. Just skating a few practices to see how it would go and then judge. Anyone knows something more specific about that? It sounds quite weird to me, Alina doesn‘t seem the type who‘d go to a competition if she was thinking of withdrawing.

Anyway, she competed and she did really well, so it was probably just a rumour again. Can‘t wait for tomorrow.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
One question: Eurosport commentator said Alina was thinking (or there were rumors, don‘t remember, sorry) about withdrawing. Just skating a few practices to see how it would go and then judge. Anyone knows something more specific about that? It sounds quite weird to me, Alina doesn‘t seem the type who‘d go to a competition if she was thinking of withdrawing.

Anyway, she competed and she did really well, so it was probably just a rumour again. Can‘t wait for tomorrow.

The commentator from Rai sport also said today that she talked to Eteri and Eteri said to her that Alina has to decide now wether or not she wants to retire.
Added with the comments by Chris this makes me worried.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

No one knows, but I suppose it's something similar to worlds.
I believe she might've been losing her confidence a little bit during the season, a few unsuccessful SPs probably made her doubt herself, and at those moments she wants to just leave it all and not go anywhere.
She's still a teenager...
But I'm glad Eteri always manages to keep Alina's spirit up and energize her! What a performance.. :hap85:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Aliona 85
Alina 79
Anna 78
Bradie 72
Sasha 71
Rika 70

Unbelievable score for Aliona. The judges love her already and with good reasons. So glad Alina did well too. Also Anna.

What television channel is covering this in the United States? I'm assuming tape coverage over the weekend for NBC.

Fluture

Record Breaker
The commentator from Rai sport also said today that she talked to Eteri and Eteri said to her that Alina has to decide now wether or not she wants to retire.

Thank you. Hm. I guess, this performance will have given her the confidence she needed. She said multiple times she loves skating and is skating for herself and everything so I think she‘ll stay.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States

I do understand what a tough position she's in. She talked about feeling a lack of motivation last season, and I'm sure feeling unable to top the podium lately and being surpassed by her younger teammates is tough. If she still has the drive to compete regardless of the results (and the results aren't bad anyway), then I imagine she'll stick with it, but if she chooses to retire, she has a very rewarding life ahead of her nonetheless.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Thank you. Hm. I guess, this performance will have given her the confidence she needed. She said multiple times she loves skating and is skating for herself and everything so I think she‘ll stay.

Hope so too. She skated beautifuly. Hope this boosts her confidence and her will to fight.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Draw for tomorrow

Tennell
Kihira
Trusova
Shcherbakova
Kostornaia
Zagitova

Kostornaya having to skate after Trusova and Shcherbakova, oh dear. I hope it won‘t rattle her if they land all their quads. I‘m worried. :(

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Kostornaya having to skate after Trusova and Shcherbakova, oh dear. I hope it won‘t rattle her if they land all their quads. I‘m worried. :(

She sees them every single day though. I'm sure it doesn't make her nervous.
Aliona said that it's actually easier for her to skate when they're all together as a team.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Happy with all the ladies (including Liza) today. Anna getting scores she deserves, and frankly this has been her most put together performance at the right time. Everything effortless, and the best 2A of the night in my opinion. Good technique and I'm thinking it's going to be a triple soon!

I love Aliona, she's one of my favourites, but was she not behind the music for large portions of her program? All her jumps were later than normal, including the spins. It took a little bit of the magic out of the performance for me, but every element by itself was wonderful.

79.60 is a wonderful score so I hope Alina isn't disheartened, she looked a little disappointed not being over 80 (which she should have been). And then Sasha's 3A was borderline but it didn't look under to me. Hope she brings out fire in the free.