2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 564 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

E

eterialskater

:/ my dream team is Alina Anna and Alena, but no way they leave Sasha off even if she bombs at nationals. Russia truly deserves more spots, wish they can take Kazakhstan’s this year now that Elizabet is injured

What is ridiculous is we could possibly have the reigning Olympic and World champion score close to her PB, be left behind and be unable to defend her title because there are 3 phenoms above her. Only in figure skating mind you. Meanwhile I will have to suffer through watching 3rd rate skaters like my own countrywoman attempt to do a program.

readernick

Medalist
What is ridiculous is we could possibly have the reigning Olympic and World champion score close to her PB, be left behind and be unable to defend her title because there are 3 phenoms above her. Only in figure skating mind you. Meanwhile I will have to suffer through watching 3rd rate skaters like my own countrywoman attempt to do a program.

I don't find watching skaters from small federations painful. I enjoy it. And, those skaters inspire others to take up the sport. If Alina can't compete with the 3A at home for one of the 3 Russian spots, she definitely won't be on the world podium. So, it won't matter much anyway.. .A world champion being unable to defend their title the next year or even qualifying for the world championships happens all the time, in many sports. Athletes are aware of how short lived their success can be... if they can accept it then so can the fans.

E

eterialskater

I don't find watching skaters from small federations painful. I enjoy it. And, those skaters inspire others to take up the sport. If Alina can't compete with the 3A at home for one of the 3 Russian spots, she definitely won't be on the world podium. So, it won't matter much anyway.. .A world champion being unable to defend their title the next year or even qualifying for the world championships happens all the time, in many sports. Athletes are aware of how short lived their success can be... if they can accept it then so can the fans.

She can definitely be on the podium at Worlds. Who are you to predict the podium?After your lot were already crowning Kihira as WC last season it must have been quite a shock when she won😂. I'm not one of those who like to stroke their egos by watching low class competition and pat myself in the back for being fair and all.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She can definitely be on the podium at Worlds. Who are you to predict the podium?After your lot were already crowning Kihira as WC last season it must have been quite a shock when she won��. I'm not one of those who like to stroke their egos by watching low class competition and pat myself in the back for being fair and all.

Who is “your lot”? I did not see any lot crowning Kihira, can you explain? If you can provide cites and or quotes, that would be helpful.

Small fed skaters earned their spots fair and square and I don’t see any reason to stroke big fed skaters’ egos by taking those spots away from small feds.

You can pat yourself on the back for what you want and I’ll pat myself on the back for what I want :)

E

eterialskater

Who is “your lot”? I did not see any lot crowning Kihira, can you explain? If you can provide cites and or quotes, that would be helpful.

Small fed skaters earned their spots fair and square and I don’t see any reason to stroke big fed skaters’ egos by taking those spots away from small feds.

You can pat yourself on the back for what you want and I’ll pat myself on the back for what I want :)

No need to quote on that 😄. Everyone of Zagitova's fervent critics were so giddy last year when she struggled in the GPs all the way to Euros. They should have watch her Nebelhorn and JO skate and appreciate what she was still capable of.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

Losing to the 3A certainly doesn't mean that she wouldn't be able to get on the World Podium, it really doesn't mean that at all. The 3A are some of the best in the world, imo only Rika and Alina can really compete with them. So even if Alina loses to them at Nationals, it doesn't mean she wouldn't beat everyone else at Worlds and end up on the podium. Besides, look at what happened last year, Alina literally lost to the 3A at nationals and then won Worlds.

readernick

Medalist
She can definitely be on the podium at Worlds. Who are you to predict the podium? After your lot were already crowning Kihira as WC last season it must have been quite a shock when she won��. I'm not one of those who like to stroke their egos by watching low-class competition and pat myself in the back for being fair and all.

If there are three stronger skaters at Russian nationals, those three skaters would be more likely to make the world's podium then Alina, wouldn't they? I was not even talking about skaters from other countries. I was taking about the other Russians. But, sure other skaters like Kihira could possibly beat her at worlds, too... who knows? Who even knows if all of the 3A will beat Alina for the world's spots? My only point is if the Russian ladies are that strong, they will win three podium places... there isn't a fourth medaL to win.... so there isn't much of a reason to bemoan not having 3 spots at worlds. 3 spots are enough to sweep the podium.

Grin

Medalist
I think we need more A-level competitions like GP series. So fans could watch more talented skaters from big feds and she skaters could win more medals and titles.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I don't mind small feds skaters. We need Ivett Toths. I rather have one ACDC program over ten girls with "perfect" leg kicks.

I find many of these skaters exciting despite not landing quads.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I think we need more A-level competitions like GP series. So fans could watch more talented skaters from big feds and she skaters could win more medals and titles.
Yep, the problem is this. There should be more competitions, more options. I find the GP circuit very enjoyable and exciting. Certainly wouldn't mind more of that.

le01

Rinkside
I don't mind small feds skaters. We need Ivett Toths. I rather have one ACDC program over ten girls with "perfect" leg kicks.

ACDC program was great but could not excited about her last season choice of music and costumes (Bruno Mars? Blergh). And Luna lost a fan (almost) once she started skating to Celine Dion music. Don’t mind leg kicks personally, it’s music choice that’s making some skaters stand out for me and quads or not almost makes me rewatch Anna’s programs on repeat (her SP music is completely new to me as I did not watch the movie).

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Yep, the problem is this. There should be more competitions, more options. I find the GP circuit very enjoyable and exciting. Certainly wouldn't mind more of that.

Yes more international competitons would be good. Maybe a second round of Senior Bs in the spring for skaters that dont qualify for Euros or worlds. This would give more skaters a chance to up their SB both skaters from big feds who want a GP spot for next year and smaller Fed skaters that need to reach minimum TES for championchips spots.

Grin

Medalist
Sorry you got it wrong, the problem is not in the size of fed of course. A talented and interesting athlete should have an opportunity to show his skills at international competition no matter how big his Fed is. In fact talented skaters from small feds (like Lilbet) don’t have any problems to make it into big international competitions. But skaters from big feds have to fight really hard to make it to the worlds.
I know you don’t appreciate Eteri skaters but you can see that they have quite a lot of views on youtube or in social media. So I think everybody will benefit from providing them more opportunities to compete abroad. It’s not like I suggest taking away a spot from Ivett Toths and giving it to Eteri’s student.
I think increasing the number of GP events and allowing more skaters to compete in GPF will give more opportunities to skaters from both big and small feds.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
After the sounding success that was Chelyabinsk in the Junior Grand Prix, ISU decided next season not to return to Russia.

Instead again almost empty arenas in Slovakia, Slovenia and the like instead of a full house in Krasnoyarsk ....

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
After the sounding success that was Chelyabinsk in the Junior Grand Prix, ISU decided next season not to return to Russia.

Instead again almost empty arenas in Slovakia, Slovenia and the like instead of a full house in Krasnoyarsk ....

I am glad that you pointed to that because "the Russians are always complaining and looking for conspiracies".

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

If there are three stronger skaters at Russian nationals, those three skaters would be more likely to make the world's podium then Alina, wouldn't they? I was not even talking about skaters from other countries. I was taking about the other Russians. But, sure other skaters like Kihira could possibly beat her at worlds, too... who knows? Who even knows if all of the 3A will beat Alina for the world's spots? My only point is if the Russian ladies are that strong, they will win three podium places... there isn't a fourth medaL to win.... so there isn't much of a reason to bemoan not having 3 spots at worlds. 3 spots are enough to sweep the podium.

In fact I am very thankful for your comments of this kind. The more rude people were about Alina's chances the better she was. Please continue :devil:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
:/ my dream team is Alina Anna and Alena, but no way they leave Sasha off even if she bombs at nationals. Russia truly deserves more spots, wish they can take Kazakhstan’s this year now that Elizabet is injured

It's like 6 months to worlds (and 4 to 4CC). I don't think Lilbet is written off for the rest of the season. Though I'm not against the idea that when some country would have more spots than skaters who are able to qualify, than the country could shift the entry (entries) to some other country by some reasonable system. It would be more honest than some last minute nationality changing.

I know people are still defending the "diversity", but what is that for diversity when big part of it means just that some skater from one country suddenly changes his allegiance to another flag. As I have said already, I would be proud of skaters from my country gaining medals and all, but I don't like the idea when they gain entries and many skaters (not just Russian ladies), who are much better don't just because of 3 entries quota.