2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1109 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
That said Nastya was so good pre novice and novice that she may have set unrealistic expectations for herself. Then when good things did not happen for her she ended up changing coaches a couple times. That's risky business in figure skating. One might say it's even Russian Roulette. ;)

I remember seeing a YT of her at 8 y/o landing a 3flip and was wowed. I feel she pushed learning her jumps at the expense of ideal technique. Her toe jumps are wonky as well as her Axel. I really hope she looks for another country to skate for. It's terrible to think Safonova, Shabotova, Kuzmenko have YEARS of international competition ahead of them including the Olympics and Gubanova is just stuck at home doing nothing.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Random, but: Does anyone remember Maria Stavitskaia? The girl with the extremely telegraphed jumps?

I haven't been watching skating for too long so I looked her up and it seems like she switched to ice dance eventually, and what do you mean by telegraphed jumps? She seemed a bit taller, but nothing else about her jumps were extraordinary. She did 2A+3T and stuff like that, her jumps remind me of Maya Khromykh in a way.

But then could we take a minute to remember skaters who were amazing but got left behind in the inasne depth of Russian skating? I would like to mention Anastasia Kostyuk with her amazing SS and charisma and pleasant spins, Anastasia Tarakanova with her innovative programs, and of course our little snow princess Alena Kanysheva

Scott512

Record Breaker
I remember seeing a YT of her at 8 y/o landing a 3flip and was wowed. I feel she pushed learning her jumps at the expense of ideal technique. Her toe jumps are wonky as well as her Axel. I really hope she looks for another country to skate for. It's terrible to think Safonova, Shabotova, Kuzmenko have YEARS of international competition ahead of them including the Olympics and Gubanova is just stuck at home doing nothing.

Nastya has artistry and interpretation and feel that is very rare in today's ladies figure skating world. Maybe she will be a late bloomer. But I'm not sure if changing countries would be easy. They may block her even if she wanted to go to Estonia. There is always an event in Tallin. ;) Nastyas little sister is supposedly an excellent prospect maybe on the level of Nastya at 8 or 9 years old. If she leaves for another country does she leave her family too and her brother and sister? Not everyone would want to do that. I am hoping he keeps working with this new coach she has and actually get some assignments next season if there is a next season. I think Matt is sports will complete with empty stadiums and arenas for the next few months once these themes actually come back to play.

Do any famous athletes in Europe have Coronavirus? Several basketball and hockey players in America have it.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Nastya has artistry and interpretation and feel that is very rare in today's ladies figure skating world. Maybe she will be a late bloomer. But I'm not sure if changing countries would be easy. They may block her even if she wanted to go to Estonia. There is always an event in Tallin. ;) Nastyas little sister is supposedly an excellent prospect maybe on the level of Nastya at 8 or 9 years old. If she leaves for another country does she leave her family too and her brother and sister? Not everyone would want to do that. I am hoping he keeps working with this new coach she has and actually get some assignments next season if there is a next season. I think Matt is sports will complete with empty stadiums and arenas for the next few months once these themes actually come back to play.

Do any famous athletes in Europe have Coronavirus? Several basketball and hockey players in America have it.

After the artistic gymnasts moved into Novogorsk with the figure skaters and the rhythmic gymnasts (which Irina Viner was NOT happy about http://eng.gymnovosti.com/andrey-rodionenko-tested-positive-for-covid-19/) the entire team was tested and two came back positive. One of the young male gymnasts, Sergei Naidin, tested positive. As well as national team coordinator Andrei Rodionenko. THere are several soccer/football players who are positive though not all are symptomatic. Among them off the top of my head:

Paulo Dybala (Juventus in Turin)
Daniele Rugani (Juventus in Turin)
Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea in London)
Mikel Arteta (manager/head coach of Arsenal in London)

There's one team in Italy, Sampdoria, that had almost half a dozen players test positive apparently.

Resa

On the Ice
After the artistic gymnasts moved into Novogorsk with the figure skaters and the rhythmic gymnasts (which Irina Viner was NOT happy about http://eng.gymnovosti.com/andrey-rodionenko-tested-positive-for-covid-19/) the entire team was tested and two came back positive. One of the young male gymnasts, Sergei Naidin, tested positive. As well as national team coordinator Andrei Rodionenko. THere are several soccer/football players who are positive though not all are symptomatic. Among them off the top of my head:

There's one team in Italy, Sampdoria, that had almost half a dozen players test positive apparently.
Rodionenko's second test came back negative according to the twitter page from
Luba Baladhzaeva ( the author of eng.gymnovosti)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Rodionenko's second test came back negative according to the twitter page from
Luba Baladhzaeva ( the author of eng.gymnovosti)

The whole organisation of Novogorsk seems a mess, and irresponsible given the information already at hand.

And typically, only visible but otherwise rather futile measures like decontaminating by spraying disinfectant take place, probably more to ease the minds of those concerned ....

Scott512

Record Breaker

Good Heavens it really is a pandemic even in sports. Thank you for that information as sad as it is. I'm hoping the peak is done in a few weeks with this pandemic and by that I mean the worst has come and gone. Because if it hasn't there won't be any tennis tournaments this year and there won't be a 2020-21 figure skating season. Of course as a most of us here now this is all secondary to life. We all share one world.

Does anyone know when Sasha's 14-day quarantine is up? I guess it doesn't really matter because she's not going to be going anywhere anyway for several weeks. Do your homework girl! ;)

Arbitrary

Medalist
Good Heavens it really is a pandemic even in sports. Thank you for that information as sad as it is. I'm hoping the peak is done in a few weeks with this pandemic and by that I mean the worst has come and gone. Because if it hasn't there won't be any tennis tournaments this year and there won't be a 2020-21 figure skating season. Of course as a most of us here now this is all secondary to life. We all share one world.

Does anyone know when Sasha's 14-day quarantine is up? I guess it doesn't really matter because she's not going to be going anywhere anyway for several weeks. Do your homework girl! ;)

Confirmed positive for COVID-19 means there is a strong possibility to develop symptoms of any magnitude. From "may ignore" to "life treating".

Trusova is under observation from 28/3 so her time's due to 12/4 if no symptoms developed by any of her immediate family.
As soon as early symptoms are usually visible after 5-6 days she may be considered safe (out of immediate danger) next week.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

What a beautiful skater! Its sad that Russian depths is such that skaters like this can get "forgotten" in a few years. I wonder if in some time people will say "Does anyone remember that skater Anastasia Gubanova who medalled at the JGPF?" or say the same thing about Tsurskaya or Kanysheva or Tarakanova, etc (wow, what is it about the JGPF?).

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
What a beautiful skater! Its sad that Russian depths is such that skaters like this can get "forgotten" in a few years. I wonder if in some time people will say "Does anyone remember that skater Anastasia Gubanova who medalled at the JGPF?" or say the same thing about Tsurskaya or Kanysheva or Tarakanova, etc (wow, what is it about the JGPF?).

Oh my gosh don’t say that, it makes me too sad :sad21: The ultimate heartbreak for me is Tarakanova, when she was a novice I loved her speed and power. She was inconsistent, but her short program during her last novice season will always be one of my favorites. Then her programs with Eteri were very fitting for her personality too and I enjoyed them. I even liked Nastya more than I liked Aliona at the time. It is such a shame that she hasn’t been able to have a breakthrough. She seems like such a sweet girl too. This is part of the heartbreak of watching the Russian Ladies though. It’s such a competitive field that there are some real heartbreaking moments. Although there are the happy moments too!!

SkateSkates

Medalist
But also, there are quite a few skaters who didn’t medal at JGPF recently who went on to have success as seniors. From the Russian ladies, we have Anna who had a disastrous JGPF last season, but a very successful senior debut. And also Sofia Samodurova - yes she had growing pains this season, but last season she made the GPF and won Euros, which I would consider a success for her. And from other countries, there’s Rika who obviously had a great debut season last year and followed it up with a successful although less dominant sophomore season, as well as Young You, who never even made JGPF but medaled at 4CC and won YOG. So, medaling at JGPF or even Jr Worlds doesn’t always predict senior success, and not medaling also doesn’t prevent talented skaters from reaching their potential as seniors. It will be tough for either Nastya to breakthrough in Russia, but if there’s ever a time to re-establish themselves it’s next season. There’s only 1 strong junior moving up (assuming Ksenia moves up), so this really is the best chance to try to make a comeback into the upper ranks of Russian ladies skating before the 2006 ladies turn senior.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Oh my gosh don’t say that, it makes me too sad :sad21: The ultimate heartbreak for me is Tarakanova, when she was a novice I loved her speed and power. She was inconsistent, but her short program during her last novice season will always be one of my favorites. Then her programs with Eteri were very fitting for her personality too and I enjoyed them. I even liked Nastya more than I liked Aliona at the time. It is such a shame that she hasn’t been able to have a breakthrough. She seems like such a sweet girl too. This is part of the heartbreak of watching the Russian Ladies though. It’s such a competitive field that there are some real heartbreaking moments. Although there are the happy moments too!!

I (probably foolishly) still have hope for Tarakanova, but I try not to get my hopes up. I'll always remember her 2018/2019 short, and how she flew across the ice to that powerful music. I know its probably too late for her to become a big star, but I just wanted (and still want) her to have a nice moment on the senior GP.

Azikin

Medalist
I (probably foolishly) still have hope for Tarakanova, but I try not to get my hopes up. I'll always remember her 2018/2019 short, and how she flew across the ice to that powerful music. I know its probably too late for her to become a big star, but I just wanted (and still want) her to have a nice moment on the senior GP.

Too late? She's 15.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Too late? She's 15.

You're right, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it more that I don't see her becoming a huge star at this point, because of the depth in Russia among girls her age, and the unlikelihood of her getting GP spots next season, and because of the apparent necessity for a triple axel/quad these days, etc. Of course 15 isn't too late for anything, and I would never say never, I'm just not getting my hopes up at this point, considering patterns we've seen in the past (i.e. the Russian girls who have recently become big stars have usually at least debuted on the senior GP in their first or second GP season). I didn't mean it to sound like 15 is too old for anything, and of course I wish she could become a huge star, it just doesn't seem like its going to happen.