2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 692 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
The junior ranks and those good enough for assignments are filling up pretty quickly.

Depends a bit on what is planned for Kanysheva, Sinitsyna, Vasil'yeva and perhaps some other 2005 born girls.

There will be new additions from the first half of 2007 born girls like Samodelkina, Petrosyan, who are JPG eligible next season. Akat'yeva was born July 7, so looses out for next season.

Ksenia can become a senior next year, so can Vasiliyeva and Tarakanova.
So, there would be some free spots on jgp for other girls.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Ksenia can become a senior next year, so can Vasiliyeva and Tarakanova.
So, there would be some free spots on jgp for other girls.

Sinitsyna has a high enough SB score that she'll probably get GP spots, but idk about Vasilieva and Tarakanova. They're both on the SB list right now, but if the 4A + Liza + Evgenia + Sinitsyna get GP spots then there are only two sets of two GPs left. Since Samodurova and Konstantinova will most likely be high in the world standings, they will probably get at least one each if not two. So Vasilieva and Tarakanova might be left out of the senior GPs. And who knows where Kanysheva will fall in all of this, if she even gets a chance to compete internationally this season.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Sinitsyna has a high enough SB score that she'll probably get GP spots, but idk about Vasilieva and Tarakanova. They're both on the SB list right now, but if the 4A + Liza + Evgenia + Sinitsyna get GP spots then there are only two sets of two GPs left. Since Samodurova and Konstantinova will most likely be high in the world standings, they will probably get at least one each if not two. So Vasilieva and Tarakanova might be left out of the senior GPs. And who knows where Kanysheva will fall in all of this, if she even gets a chance to compete internationally this season.

Forgot about Tarakanova, but I cannot get rid of my impression she is in dire waters at the moment, no matter how lovely she is. As a skater, she needs to deliver, also under pressure. Which she is certainly capable of. Let's hope for a good 2nd Russian Cup stage for her and redemption.

Too few spots for too many good and deserving skaters ... perhaps ISU should consider a change and let past results not nearly matched by present results degrade the skaters' ranking faster, to flush the ranks more quickly?

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Maybe she could. Do you think there's an ISU communication out there that defines a man and a lady? Maybe Rusfed should just enter her into a man's event at a challenger to see what would happen

Maybe Sasha could do it at Russian Nats. Since it isn’t an international event and doesn’t count towards seasons best scores and world standings? Plus her spot on the world team is already pretty solid imo.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hello posters in the Russian Ladies thread!

Just a reminder that Competition Chat guidelines are in effect during not only the Grand Prix competitions, but for all other national competitions as well.

Please do not supply livestreams or discuss practices and competitions in "The Edge" during these competitions. Segments may be discussed after the particular segment is over.

Competition chat guidelines on how to access the Competition Forums may be found here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?74476

macy

Record Breaker
I would hope she would have been comfortable and confident with her former team since she was smiling a lot then too. :)

But the key now of course is will Zhenya take her fine practice form into live competition like she used to. She has to for obvious reasons. And this my friends is one of the biggest challenges of her career. why she isn't taking her great practice form into live competition is perplexing many people.

yes, because it's just *that* easy

ruga

Final Flight
Maybe Sasha could do it at Russian Nats. Since it isn’t an international event and doesn’t count towards seasons best scores and world standings? Plus her spot on the world team is already pretty solid imo.

She could try, but I think that 'big' Nationals are still scored by ISU rules to see the potential in international competitions, because there are so many athletes eligible for them. Also, if Sasha, say, makes some mistakes and gets to the top 3 only with a few points difference from 4th place I'm sure there will be complaints that she got to jump quads in SP (not likely to happen, but anything is possible). No spots are guaranteed yet, quads are rewarded because they are very risky elements and each mistake can take out a lot of points. We may see a quad show at RusNats or realise that sometimes easier but stable skating might be a way to go instead.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Some people care about victories, some about challenges (as the way how to improve themselves).

I don't think this (having Trusova compete in the men's division) is a good idea. Neither for Trusova's image nor for the male skater's image.

A fun skills battle with the likes of Shoma Uno, Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen after World Championships Exhibition Gala is good (or with any male skater that feels up to the challenge and has sufficient energy left in him, aka Keegan Messing). Next season, Aleksandra most likely isn't this tomboy of a girl anymore and has grown into a pretty young woman, who herself might have completely different ideas how a female figure skater should look and behave then.

Aleksandra is a girl and I have no doubt she herself will like to be perceived as a powerful, capable and confident girl athlete. Nor will her parents appreciate a 'malefication' of their precious and wonderful daughter who takes such pride in her Rapunzel hair.

Plus we don't want to start any gender controversies like with this RSA runner.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don't think this (having Trusova compete in the men's division) is a good idea. Neither for Trusova's image nor for the male skater's image.

A fun skills battle with the likes of Shoma Uno, Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen after World Championships Exhibition Gala is good (or with any male skater that feels up to the challenge and has sufficient energy left in him, aka Keegan Messing). Next season, Aleksandra most likely isn't this tomboy of a girl anymore and has grown into a pretty young woman, who herself might have completely different ideas how a female figure skater should look and behave then.

Aleksandra is a girl and I have no doubt she herself will like to be perceived as a powerful, capable and confident girl athlete. Nor will her parents appreciate a 'malefication' of their precious and wonderful daughter who takes such pride in her Rapunzel hair.

Plus we don't want to start any gender controversies like with this RSA runner.

I bet you know what hyperbole means.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Oh dear, I really hope rusfed will be wise with their GPs next year. They will once again end up having too many girls with guaranteed spots, I just hope that some girls, the likes of Ksenia, Viktoria, who proved themselves, can be given spots instead of those who did not quite deliver. :slink: Not that I have anything against the inconsistent girls on the russian team, but those junior girls are clearly deserving of their chances on GPs.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I would think that if anyone who is age eligible for seniors next season medals at Junior Worlds, then Russian Fed will do their best to get them 2 spots. GP selection is supposed to take Jr Worlds medalists and the JGPF champion into consideration for at least 1 spot. Assuming Kamila/Alysa have good chances to win or at least podium at both these events, whoever manages to make the podium at Jr Worlds I would think would have a good shot at 2 assignments.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh dear, I really hope rusfed will be wise with their GPs next year. They will once again end up having too many girls with guaranteed spots, I just hope that some girls, the likes of Ksenia, Viktoria, who proved themselves, can be given spots instead of those who did not quite deliver. :slink: Not that I have anything against the inconsistent girls on the russian team, but those junior girls are clearly deserving of their chances on GPs.

Right now, there are 12 Russian ladies in the top 24, three aren't age eligible:

- Alexandra Trusova - 238.69 - 1st
- Alena Kostornaya - 236.00 - 2nd
- Anna Shcherbakova - 227.76 - 4th
- Kamila Valieva - 221.95 - 5th
- Evgenia Medvedeva - 217.43 - 7th
- Alina Zagitova - 216.06 - 9th
- Ksenia Sinitsyna - 215.58 - 10th
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - 214.38 - 11th
- Viktoria Vasilieva - 198.79 - 17th
- Daria Usacheva - 197.19 - 19th
- Anastasia Tarakanova - 194.74 - 20th
- Maiia Khromykh - 190.73 - 24th

Sofia and Stasya should both remain in the top 24 in WS, I believe, so that gives us 9 from SB and 2 from WS.

For the SB list, Everyone until Liza should be top 24 100% at the end of the season. I think Viktoria will be good, since she would need 8 people to pass her to get bumped out. Tarakanova may get bumped out of the top 24 though.

That would give 10 women with guaranteed spots, which wouldn't be too bad. The 3A, Alina, Evgenia, Liza and Ksenia could all get 2 spots, which would leave 4 to be split among Sofia, Viktoria and Stasya.

It gets more complicated if other Russian girls (other than Sofia and Stasya) end up on the SB list, or Tarakanova stays top 24. Serafima and Liza N have a chance at Warsaw. Then there's only JW and YOG (I think that counts for SB?). If Tarakanova or Kanysheva ended up at one of those, they could have a chance.

Kanysheva hasn't done any Russian Cup events so far though, so she's not going to Jr Nats unless they add her in specially, so I don't know if she has any chance to make it too YOG or JW.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Russian Cup Stage 4 - short program

1. Anna Frolova 66.69
2. Viktoria Vasilieva 66.52
3. Maria Talalaykina 65.91

Artemisa

Final Flight
Right now, there are 12 Russian ladies in the top 24, three aren't age eligible:

- Alexandra Trusova - 238.69 - 1st
- Alena Kostornaya - 236.00 - 2nd
- Anna Shcherbakova - 227.76 - 4th
- Kamila Valieva - 221.95 - 5th
- Evgenia Medvedeva - 217.43 - 7th
- Alina Zagitova - 216.06 - 9th
- Ksenia Sinitsyna - 215.58 - 10th
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - 214.38 - 11th
- Viktoria Vasilieva - 198.79 - 17th
- Daria Usacheva - 197.19 - 19th
- Anastasia Tarakanova - 194.74 - 20th
- Maiia Khromykh - 190.73 - 24th

Sofia and Stasya should both remain in the top 24 in WS, I believe, so that gives us 9 from SB and 2 from WS.

For the SB list, Everyone until Liza should be top 24 100% at the end of the season. I think Viktoria will be good, since she would need 8 people to pass her to get bumped out. Tarakanova may get bumped out of the top 24 though.

That would give 10 women with guaranteed spots, which wouldn't be too bad. The 3A, Alina, Evgenia, Liza and Ksenia could all get 2 spots, which would leave 4 to be split among Sofia, Viktoria and Stasya.

It gets more complicated if other Russian girls (other than Sofia and Stasya) end up on the SB list, or Tarakanova stays top 24. Serafima and Liza N have a chance at Warsaw. Then there's only JW and YOG (I think that counts for SB?). If Tarakanova or Kanysheva ended up at one of those, they could have a chance.

Kanysheva hasn't done any Russian Cup events so far though, so she's not going to Jr Nats unless they add her in specially, so I don't know if she has any chance to make it too YOG or JW.

With to many girls .. I think the girls that RF can keep one more year in the JGP will stay there ... The girls that don't have the criteria to continue in JGP will go to seniors ...

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Well Samodelkina just did 2 3As (one in combo) and Akatieva did 2 4Ts (one in a failed combo) and tried 3A and Zhilina tried 4T. 6 ultra c elements attempted in a small novice comp... Russia has a bright future.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
With to many girls .. I think the girls that RF can keep one more year in the JGP will stay there ... The girls that don't have the criteria to continue in JGP will go to seniors ...

Yes, I think RusFed will keep Vasilieva and Tarakanova in Juniors - again, next year. That's the easiest way for them to solve the GP spot situation.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Vasil'yeva, Tarakanova in my eyes definitely have 'outgrown' juniors. Kanysheva and Sinitsyna nearly so. Perhaps the girls themselves want to move up, have new challenges, learn more difficult elements and programs?

3 out, means 3 in: Samodelkina, Petrosyan and ?? Too early to tell, but nice to speculate ... Assuming Valiyeva, Khromikh and Usachyova (who are only 13 now) don't drop out of figure skating alltogether.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Vasil'yeva, Tarakanova in my eyes definitely have 'outgrown' juniors. Kanysheva and Sinitsyna nearly so. Perhaps the girls themselves want to move up, have new challenges, learn more difficult elements and programs?

3 out, means 3 in: Samodelkina, Petrosyan and ?? Too early to tell, but nice to speculate ... Assuming Valiyeva, Khromikh and Usachyova (who are only 13 now) don't drop out of figure skating alltogether.

Kanysheva will likely repeat in juniors. She looks to be missing the entire season this year and it doesn’t seem like she will have a chance to get SB.

So glad to see Viktoria and Ksenia look to be on track for GP next year! They are amazing and totally deserve it.I think I’d rather see Tarakanova than Samodurova at this point but alas...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
As long as Zhenya herself is happy, it shouldn't matter who coaches her or why . That is the way I see it, no controversy necessary xD

But is she really? To me, her official media appearances come over as forced, aka 'keeping up appearances'. And only on rare occasions I have seen her in what I think is a relaxed and comfortable state. Perhaps when she's done well in Moscow GP and feels fine, there will be a true and honest interview in her native Russian language, perhaps with Emma Gadzhiyeva?

And I stick to my opinion that #TeamBOrser has done a poor 'packaging job' this season. Nice programs, but poorly designed costumes. That dark unitard is downright hideous in my eyes, making her look way too angular and crooked. The kimono style dress has an unusual cut and looks special and innovative, but being this dark makes her look 'top heavy'. Some lighter colours would suit Yevgeniya better in my eyes, for she is so young still and having dark hair and eyes always make for a nice contrast against lighter coloured, even bright, fabrics.

The costumes might look much better in photographs and when seen on the ice with your own eyes though, TV darkens and distorts quite often. But the majority of spectators watch competitions on screen, and this could've been taken more into account in presenting Yevgeniya as a skater trying to re-invent herself, after having broken herself free from former conventions.

Perhaps she will write her memoirs later in life and disclose all the secrets we so very much tried to guess?