2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 69 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

esteticlove

Final Flight
There was nothing harsh intended from my side, and I was nothing but respectful.
It’s in the eye of the beholder I guess:)

I legitimately did not understand the concept of “learnings” being applied to further generations in this particular case.
To me skaters are unique and they are not identical machines, that can be fine tuned, each of them are different and have their own stronger and weaker sides, go through puberty in their own ways, hence I don’t get how learnings can be applied, if skaters are different.
Which learnings from Alina were applied to Sasha? Which learnings from Evgenia were applied to Polina and Alina?
The example you gave is not something new, quite often coaches leave a solo jump for the later, so that a skater could attach a second jump, if it was missed. It’s quite common and I don’t think it had anything to do with backloading strategy.

I think you got the thing with the "learning" too literal. As far as I understand it, for example - Alina was their first senior to fully backload her jumps. Whereas for the next generation - Sasha and Anna, it's already the routine to do their very difficult combos in the 2nd part. Of course, quads excluded because they do those at the beginning. But I presume that during the coaching process of Alina they learnt also what exactly needs to be improved in the training method, so that the athlete can get the best preparation. It's like baking - the first time you try to make a cake, you might burn it, but the second time you already know what can go wrong and improve it.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
One of her comp programs could be to a Selena Gomez song. I mean D.G. said they want to steer away from Warhorses for her programs. I dunno

I wish Alina had said she wanted to meet Frederic Chopin.
Because I guess that is now the litmus test for choosing programs.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Wow.
So not using Selana Gomez' music means she is no longer a fan?
And saying you want to meet someone means you also have to use their music?

Seems like a rather Draconian definition of being a "fan" of someone.

"Something changed her mind"....
Did I miss some missive from Alina where she said she was going to be skating to Selena Gomez?

Seems like you didn‘t get the sarcasm.

One of her comp programs could be to a Selena Gomez song. I mean D.G. said they want to steer away from Warhorses for her programs. I dunno

Well, that would be cool. I can actually see Alina skating to a Selena Gomez song, I think she‘d be good at that. She said herself she likes the music and the singer. Selena Gomez has lots of songs, I think, so whatever they want to do, there would be lots to choose from. And imagine what Puma could do with that. Their world champion skating to music by another ambassador of their brand. Lots of opportunities. I thought Daniil and Eteri would see that. But competitive programs would have an even bigger impact, so maybe they‘re going for that. Will definitely be interesting to see what they choose.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Figure skating drama:
(I’m sorry, I’m not taking any of this seriously, but it’s hilarious :D)

Apparently Evgenia did an interview, where she said that Bad guy by Billie is her favorite song.
Her fans quickly went to accuse Daniil of stealing Evgenia’s favorite song and being copycats.
Evgenia apparently agrees with her fans and is liking comments on Instagram that say that “Alina copying her is a biggest form of flattery” and that “they stole her idea for EX program, while she was sleeping”. She also posted a screenshot from that interview with the words “I also like Noize MC”.
Kinda childish I think, Billie is quite popular amoungst teens, but wow the tensions are still going strong between her and that camp, I’m kinda surprised that they’re still not over it.
I thought things were going better at worlds, when they hugged with Alina and they took that photo together with Eteri, but boy I was wrong.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Figure skating drama:

Apparently Evgenia did an interview, where she said that Bad guy by Billie is her favorite song.
Her fans quickly went to accuse Daniil of stealing Evgenia’s favorite song and being copycats.
Evgenia apparently agrees with her fans and is liking comments on Instagram that say that “Alina copying her is a biggest form of flattery” and that “they stole her idea for EX program, while she was sleeping”. She also posted a screenshot from that interview with the words “I also like Noize MC”.
Kinda childish I think, but wow the tensions are still going strong between her and that camp, I’m kinda surprised that they’re still not over it.
I thought things were going better at worlds, when they hugged with Alina and they took that photo together with Eteri, but boy I was wrong.

Kinda disappointing, she never announced that that would be her ex (liking instagram comments and saying a song is your favorite song in some interview doesn't count as announcing a song as your ex), so shading Alina on her birthday when there's no evidence that this was intentional is childish imo. But anyways, they can both do the song as their ex, it doesn't really matter cuz its an exhibition program.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Well, that would be cool. I can actually see Alina skating to a Selena Gomez song, I think she‘d be good at that. She said herself she likes her music and the singer. And imagine what Puma could do with that. Their world champion skating to music by another ambassador of their brand. Lots of opportunities. I thought Daniil and Eteri would see that. But competitive programs would have an even bigger impact, so maybe they‘re going for that. Will definitely be interesting to see what they choose.

Selena Gomez has some great songs that would make interesting programs. They would definitely have a lot of songs to choose from e.g. Wolves; A year without rain, Kill em with kindness, Camouflage"

Fluture

Record Breaker
Selena Gomez has some great songs that would make interesting programs. They would definitely have a lot of songs to choose from e.g. Wolves; A year without rain, Kill em with kindness, Camouflage"

I think with modern songs it‘s always difficult to find one that‘s suitable for skating. Especially when it’s for a competitive program which usually are a bit more traditional. But Alina can afford to experiment. Selena Gomez really has lots of songs, so they could definitely find something if they wanted to.

It will depend on what kind of Alina they want to show. Fierce and strong? Or lyrical and soft? Not exclusively about Selena Gomez now, but her programs in general. I‘d like to see something like her SP this season but with a more modern approach, so, no warhorses. Some emotions.

Finley

Record Breaker
Oh, so she stopped being a Selena Gomez fan? Interesting. I thought she‘d skate to a song of hers for her ex, given how she said she would love to meet her one day and they’re both Puma girls. Seems like something must have changed her mind. I wonder what... or who. Billie Eilish indeed seems to be popular with teenagers these days. ;)

180 million views on the video for 'Bad Guy'. It does indeed seem to be popular! Not surprised it got Daniil's attention.

When Russia's Channel 1 aired their video the day before Alina's birthday and used Billie's song "You Should See Me in a Crown" as the background music I was really hoping it was a clue that Alina was going to use that song for one of her routines this season. Halfway through the video it transitioned into "Bad Guy" and Alina posted an IG story with "Bad Guy" that same day so the writing was on the wall. I still have hope for "You Should See Me in A Crown" to be used for something.

Daniil must have talked to someone from Channel 1 and gave them the head's up about the music he intended to use for Alina. Otherwise that is just an amazing coincidence that they used it when they were putting together the video! That wasn't a last minute addition, it was really well edited to match the clips they used.

I'm sure Alina still likes Selena Gomez, I'm just not sure her choreographer is the biggest fan? Sorry, Selena.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Oh, so she stopped being a Selena Gomez fan? Interesting. I thought she‘d skate to a song of hers for her ex, given how she said she would love to meet her one day and they’re both Puma girls. Seems like something must have changed her mind. I wonder what... or who. Billie Eilish indeed seems to be popular with teenagers these days. ;)
so Evgenia stopped being an EXO fan? Good to know. I thought she‘d skate to a song of theirs for her ex, She was yelling about her love to them for 2-3 years.... or Did I miss some missive EX from Evgenia where she skated to their music? :scratch2: Seems like something must have changed her mind. I wonder what or who... :scratch2: or maybe..... you know ... saying you like some songs and groups doesn't mean you're going to skate to their music? :eeking:
and even if... When you scream about wolf a lot.. At some point people will stop paying any attention to you.. to any of your screams. ;)

Must be a new rule. Before having an idea about the music, skaters from around the world have to check Evgenia's kudos on Instagram and ask Evgenia for the list of her current favorite music and then choose only the pieces not listed there. :sarcasm: or whether that rule applies exclusively to Daniil? :scratch2:
Gosh, not everything revolves around Evgenia. shock

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Figure skating drama:

Kinda childish I think, Billie is quite popular amoungst teens, but wow the tensions are still going strong between her and that camp, I’m kinda surprised that they’re still not over it.

Today's lesson is: Before having an idea about the music, Daniil has to ask every other skater for the list of his/her current favorite music and then choose only the pieces not listed there.

For me the sad thing is I don't like that song (nor any other song I've played till now from that singer) :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think most of the fans are teenage girls and for that reason, I choose not to care. Evgenia is 19, a little different though. I don't use or follow anyone's Instagram anyways.

Figure skating drama:

Maju

On the Ice
As a diehard Alina/ Evgenia fan this just makes me sad :( I love these girls so much.
However I really don’t like how Evgenia acted. She was acting petty on her stor, there’s no other word for it. It’s not a good look for Zhenya especially when some people regard her as childish after the whole Eteri fiasco. I do appreciate that she was standing up for herself though.
For the record I do think Daniil’s choice was aimed. I just think Zhenya could have handled this situation better. Make him look like the low one.
For the record, I absolutely love Zhenya and Alina and I mean no hate towards anyone.

Fluture

Record Breaker
As a diehard Alina/ Evgenia fan this just makes me sad :( I love these girls so much.
However I really don’t like how Evgenia acted. She was acting petty on her stor, there’s no other word for it. It’s not a good look for Zhenya especially when some people regard her as childish after the whole Eteri fiasco. I do appreciate that she was standing up for herself though.
For the record I do think Daniil’s choice was aimed. I just think Zhenya could have handled this situation better. Make him look like the low one.
For the record, I absolutely love Zhenya and Alina and I mean no hate towards anyone.

I actually like both girls too. After the Olympics I was a huge fan of both of them, was very active in fan groups and stuff like that. But it started to get less, as the drama unfolded. I just can’t deal with some things. And now I have to constantly remind myself that it‘s not Alina‘s fault what her coaching team is doing, especially if things like that happen.

I don‘t know if it was clever how Zhenya acted but I felt like it was understandable. I think the copycat picture she put on her story was just the right amount of sarcasm. Liking these comments might have been too much, idk. But I thought it was funny and really, what else was she supposed to do? I thought about it, and I don‘t know any other way to make ”Daniil look like the low one.“, other than make those sarcastic remarks. What would you have done. I‘m genuinely interested because I don‘t know what I would have done.

I mean, it‘s obvious that no one stole any music, you can‘t even “steal“ music in figure skating. Otherwise we wouldn‘t have so many Romeo and Juliets every year. But I think there is a certain point when it becomes intentional and that‘s it. Imagine Zhenya had announced she‘d be skating to Carmen last year. After Alina had mentioned a lot how it was her dream to skate to this music once. What would the reactions have been? I think copycat would have been the nicest she‘d have been called.

It‘s a similar situation here. Zhenya did not explicitly say: “I will skate to Billie Eilish“. But she‘s been making lots of hints for months now and I very much doubt Daniil didn’t get any of them. And given her reaction, it seemed like she really had been planning to skate her new ex to this music. For the records, I don‘t even like Billie Eilish’s music, so I‘ll probably be glad if I don‘t have to listen to it too often. Maybe Zhenya‘s going to choose EXO now. There’s lots of things she can do. I think it was just the first reaction after waking up and finding out your idea for the next exhibition had been taken by someone who never expressed any interest in this kind of music.

That’s exactly why my first reaction was a bit incredulous too when I read the news and I made the comment that I made. Of course no one is obliged to show that they have an active interest in the music they choose for their exhibition, but if it‘s exactly the music your rival has been posting and gushing all the time about, saying in interviews it‘s her favourite? A bit too many coincidences for me. And again, I don‘t blame Alina for that. I doubt it was her who made the choice. She probably got the news she would be skating to this program shortly before her holidays ended, when Daniil had decided on it, started to listen to it, to find out what this music’s even about, and put it on her story.

It was a smart move her coaches made, of course. Now everyone is talking about it. Exactly the right amount of hype and drama. But I would have preferred if Alina had not again been the pawn in this game they‘re playing. Hopefully her competitive programs will be something SHE wants to skate to. Like Carmen last year, which I didn’t even particularly like (I thought her SP was way better choreography wise) but she seemed to really enjoy. That‘s why I‘m watching Zhenya‘s recent exhibition numbers and enjoy them, even though the music really isn‘t my cup of tea. Because I know and see that she likes them. It would have been nice to see a personalized choice for Alina‘s exhibition, too. (and before anyone accuses me that it was: Daniil made comments on Instagram, saying :“I chose the music“, not “we chose it“ several times.)

I guess the lesson learned in this is: Don‘t post about music you like before an exhibition or it will be taken by someone else, just go and skate to it. Or announce it as early as possible. :shrug:

That being said, without thinking of any of this and looking at it like I would at any other music choice: I can see Alina skate to Bad Guy. It will probably be something new for her, something she‘s never done before and that alone makes it interesting. I hope she‘ll enjoy the program even though I‘m going to miss Survivor and both the awesome and awkward moments. Alina struggling with the zipper of her jacket and then continuing to land a 3Lz out of a Charlotte spiral made me realise why I‘d even become a fan at the Olympics in the first place. It was the mix of absolute toughness (going for that 3Lz+3Lo after having missed it the first time? Nerves of steel) and being as adorable as she is. (her “collar problems“, the way she hugged that tiny little doll after winning the Gold). It‘s one of my favourite exhibitions of the entire season because I felt like it showed Alina the way she is. I don‘t know if Bad Guy can do that, but let‘s hope so.

karina17

Final Flight
The only way this drama could be funnier is if Evgenia now decides to do an EX to Copycat by Billie Eilish.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Anyone who thinks Alina skating to her new ex music is her or her team copying anyone is absolutely nuts and digging for something to insult them about because there is nothing else. Alina also has said she wanted to do a tango in an interview right after she turned senior. Then Evgenia did it last season.. And yet Alina wasn’t posting passive aggressive remarks on social media and her fans weren’t accusing Evgenia of copying her. It’s there for everyone to use, and one interview in passing doesn’t mean everyone else is copying. Daniil already addressed that he didn’t see Evgenia’s Interview; why are we trying to shove our own convoluted theories as fact instead of listening to those directly involved? There can be more than one program to the music anyway. Let the skating to the talking; why are there so many conspiracy theories and so much pettiness in this sport (and it’s fandom)?

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Yep and again we can see how many here dislike zhenya in this thread. While she may not have announced her ex have any of you given a thought that mabye she was planning too and that she already had soem choreography to it? If that would be the truth than yes naturally she is a bit angry cause now she would have to get a new song and also new choreography. Have you ever thought about that instead of simply harping about her reaction and how could she do this on Alinas birthday of all days. My god there is a alina thread then go there to be angry about zhenya doing this to your favorite.

lappo

Final Flight
Adding to the figure skating drama:
I read that sometime ago Alina stopped following Evgenia on social media and Evgenia actively liked comments of her fans which stated things like "Finally, we can talk 18+ content". Also, rumor has it that Evgenia's distress last year after the Olympics was the reason why Alina wasn't in the cast of FAoI (at the time Anna P. was chosen and I was a bit baffled because I know Anna is famous and well liked in Japan and I'm happy she got a shot at skating there again but it didn't quite make sense not to have the current Olympic champion).