2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 822 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
OT and sort of unrelated, but does anyone else find themselves humming 3A's music-for me it seems to be every day. One day it will be Anna's music, the next day Trusova's music, and today I can't get Twilight out of my head. I've never seen any of the movies/TV shows. (Perfume, twilight, GOT)
A nope for me.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Isn't Adelina Sotnikova still sponsored by Nike even though her time in the spotlight was diminutive and 5 years ago. Alina popularity is well beyond hers so I dont think sponsors are going to drop her easily.

Alina has the face for Shiseido and the body for Puma and she’s the reigning olympic and world champion and unlike Adelina, she’s still competing when other skaters retire. I support her because it’s not easy to keep skating with young guns who can do 3A and quads when you can’t, it must be very intimidating but also challenging. Alina is competing with herself, she’s her own competitor.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Great analysis!

Well, I've said it before, I think as it stands now, Vasilieva and Tarakanova will be kept juniors next season as well. As you said, they were senior eligible already this season, but that didn't help them.

Or, Vasilieva might get one spot, but they will ignore Tarakanova as they did with Gubanova this year.

I think a big factor we must consider here is that FS is also very dependent on their stars. Samodurova is still the EC, and Konstantinova has her followers in Russia. RusFed will want to show names that people know. And nobody knows who Vasilieva and Tarakanova is...and that is their problem.
I think we must wait until Junior Nats to see who get picked for JW. Vasilieva and Tarakanova both have their chances. The 1st spot will go to Valieva, 2nd spot maybe Usacheva while 3rd is between Kromykh, Vasilieva, Tarakanova and Frolova

katymay

Medalist
So it escalated.

Kiira Korpi reacted to Eteri's Sisters comments: https://twitter.com/kiirakorpi_fi/status/1204512357826859008

on the other news, Eteri's sister seems to be trying to make things right,according to local Alina's Fans, she liked her last post at Instagram.

Russian ladies FS seems to be never ending soap opera.

Maybe if Kira had trained with Eteri she would have been more successful. Not everyone fits with the Eteri system, but she has taken skaters with mid-level results and made them champions. No one is 'thrown away' but it is only natural that some burn out on the process.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
So it escalated.

Kiira Korpi reacted to Eteri's Sisters comments: https://twitter.com/kiirakorpi_fi/status/1204512357826859008

on the other news, Eteri's sister seems to be trying to make things right,according to local Alina's Fans, she liked her last post at Instagram.

Russian ladies FS seems to be never ending soap opera.

Saying that Alina is lazy is a joke. She never work with her and isn’t her coach for godsake.
Alina’s problem like last year is mental if she was lazy, she would not be at the GPF.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
So it escalated.

It's just the continuation of her recent tweets/inteviews. Why cannot she focus on relevant to her things and does not meddle into this? What does the accusation of Alina's laziness have to do with "product to be used and thrown away", with career longevity, with judging? With Kiira, when it is "I don't even know how to react to this" it's better not to react at all. Yes, I don't like when this lady opens her mouth. I explained, why, more than once.

We have in Russia a used to be moderately popular singer Loza. At some point about 3 years ago he suddenly started to comment current and past musicians. Among some of his most famous lines were: "Rolling Stones never played with tuned guitars and Jagger never hit the right note. Bob Dilan is neither a composer nor a poet - he is just a guy with a guitar - there is a plentitude of those in every country. 80% of what Mozart wrote was self-repetition, the same is true about Rossini".

Some people laugh hysterically. But he is talked about again. That's what important in show business.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Maybe if Kira had trained with Eteri she would have been more successful. Not everyone fits with the Eteri system, but she has taken skaters with mid-level results and made them champions. No one is 'thrown away' but it is only natural that some burn out on the process.

Or maybe she would retire too young with too broken body.

she made some champions... but not all of them.

And there seem to be lots of heartbreaks too.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like very much when Kiira tweets. This tweet is unexceptional and very normal. Of course, I can’t see the tweet she quoted.

After as many years as I’ve walked this earth, I value far more caring about a long and healthy career for an athlete than medals. That is how success is truly measured :yes:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I like very much when Kiira tweets. This tweet is unexceptional and very normal. Of course, I can’t see the tweet she quoted.

After as many years as I’ve walked this earth, I value far more caring about a long and healthy career for an athlete than medals. That is how success is truly measured :yes:

Somebody medals: "But medals doesn't truly matter. It's the long career."

Somebody doesn't medal: "His/her career is at the end, can't you see it?"

No, thanks.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somebody medals: "But medals doesn't truly matter. It's the long career."

Somebody doesn't medal: "His/her career is at the end, can't you see it?"

No, thanks.

I’ve never said that. Who are you talking about?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I’ve never said that. Who are you talking about?

I know you doesn't care about ladies much, so it is possible you didn't read everything in this thread within the last few days. So, my advise would be to re-read RLT and you will have your answers. But it's nothing new, it's the same everytime somebody (esp. from a particular team) doesn't skate as well as expected.

But if we come to an agreement that it's not such a big deal when thing like this happens, because every competition is a new competition, then I think it's good.

As for Kiira and others triggered by what Eteri's sister claimed, first, what a drunken sibling of a coach, who already had some disagreements about some words with this coach, claims, is not relevant (esp. when it was already taken back, at least partially). Relevant is what team says and the team said nothing in this sense. And second, two of the two finnish ladies capable of competing internationally are out of the game again, because of injuries. As we say, "everybody should clean before his own sill."

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Recently I found myself humming the beginning of Sasha's FS music...while my phone was blasting Supermassive Black Hole. :laugh:

I really like all of the 3A's music choices this season. Very catchy.

My favourite out of the six music themes is Trusova’s short. I don’t hum though. :)

Finley

Record Breaker
Or maybe she would retire too young with too broken body.

she made some champions... but not all of them.

And there seem to be lots of heartbreaks too.

Unfortunately, she did. As a direct result of injuries that she says were incurred after she developed an eating disorder. :(

Disclaimer: She was in her 20's. By today's standards she was ancient by the time she retired. Even by the standards of her time it probably can't be called 'too young'.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Did Eteri denounce what her sister said?

Eteri has nothing to do with her sister who is not in position to lecture an athlete. I found her behavior insulting not only for Alina but for all the skaters who are working their ass off.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
.....whole post
"

OK now I understand that it was directed to other posters, thank you.

You are right I do not have time to keep up with every thread. :) I believe that any skater should skate for as long as it brings them joy and for as long as they want to do so. I believe that every skater should be in a situation that supports their decision. And I think every skater should make that decision for themselves as to what situation will be most supportive for them. Looking at it from the point of view of their fans, I would wish every skater a long and happy career ( however they define “happy” ) so that their fans could enjoy them for a long time.

And I didn’t even know Eteri had a sister.:)

I tried to start a conversation about what Kiira said about American athletes in a thread that was dedicated to her but nobody seemed to want to talk about it. It is simply incorrect that Kiira concentrates on Russian athletes, but people will pick and choose about what she says in order to support their own theories. That’s normal, we all do it, including me;)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
OK now I understand that it was directed to other posters, thank you.

You are right I do not have time to keep up with every thread. :) I believe that any skater should skate for as long as it brings them joy and for as long as they want to do so. I believe that every skater should be in a situation that supports their decision. And I think every skater should make that decision for themselves as to what situation will be most supportive for them. Looking at it from the point of view of their fans, I would wish every skater a long and happy career ( however they define “happy” ) so that their fans could enjoy them for a long time.

And I didn’t even know Eteri had a sister.:)

I tried to start a conversation about what Kiira said about American athletes in a thread that was dedicated to her but nobody seemed to want to talk about it. It is simply incorrect that Kiira concentrates on Russian athletes, but people will pick and choose about what she says in order to support their own theories. That’s normal, we all do it, including me;)

Eteri has four siblings, she is the youngest of them :)

Any mention of the russian girls (and esp. those from Eteri) attracts big attention, which is partially given by their status in the figure skating world, though I suppose that many reactions would be different if they were from elsewhere. This applies even for the situations when Kiira does that.