2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1116 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Randomly popped over to the beginning of this thread and noticed it was created exactly a year ago today... what a coincidence. Does that mean it is time for a new thread for the 2020-2021 season? Especially considering that this season is definitely over :(

I've asked the same question three days ago...

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Well I think it could be time. I don't think they are going to hold worlds in October, so might as well. New program announcements and at home training videos are going to keep coming out so we may as well start fresh and forget the tragic end of this season.

colormyworld240

Medalist
a random thought i had while reading a translation for one of Aliona's recent interviews...

could we see the onset of puberty for some athletes with this time away from the ice? when you stop training, your body changes rather quickly...even though they are still doing what they can, is the reduction in activity enough to spark body changes?

Puberty, probably if this is the age where their bodies naturally mature. I'm sure as elite athletes they're all training at home and probably have a regimen developed by their trainers. So if they do have growth spurts now, it will be because it's their time naturally, not due to a lack of training.

As for losing their ultra-c, it's probably possible because they don't have ice training, but also equally possible that they'd get them back relatively quickly. Alena got her 3A in what - 3 weeks (apart from the first attempt)? Sasha learned her 4T in a few weeks as well AFAIK in the time between JGPF and JW? And Anna took almost an entire year off training not just on ice but off (she was in much worse shape than now) and regained all her triple and 4Lz in a season.

Many skaters get injured and have to take a good chunk off in the absence of a pandemic but regain their jumps relatively quickly. For most it's just triples, but for someone like Sasha who has never fallen on a triple in international competition, I'd expect quads, at least the 4T, would be as easy as other's relearning their triples.

karina17

Final Flight
Well I think it could be time. I don't think they are going to hold worlds in October, so might as well. New program announcements and at home training videos are going to keep coming out so we may as well start fresh and forget the tragic end of this season.

Supposedly the ISU will make the decision to either postpone or cancel Worlds on 16 April. I guess if it's cancelled then this season will officially be over.

katymay

Medalist
Interesting interview, interesting last year when Sasha Trusova was asked how she felt when at competitions they introduced her as Aleksandra from Moscow when she is a girl of Ryazan, and they listed her as having accopmlished all of this under Moscow. But it is true that Moscow and St. Petersburg are the only prominent regions in igure skating, maybe Osokina and Valieva's foundations can bring funding to the Kazan region. Osokina is eligible for JGP next season, yes? She should be a contender for the jr national team.

I hope she can conqueror her nerves. I notice on warm up her jumps are huge and easy, but when the music starts, she tightens up and the nerves take over. With her speed and flight she could be one of the best juniors in Russia, so I hope she is invited to test skates at least.

Ziotic

Medalist
Puberty, probably if this is the age where their bodies naturally mature. I'm sure as elite athletes they're all training at home and probably have a regimen developed by their trainers. So if they do have growth spurts now, it will be because it's their time naturally, not due to a lack of training.

As for losing their ultra-c, it's probably possible because they don't have ice training, but also equally possible that they'd get them back relatively quickly. Alena got her 3A in what - 3 weeks (apart from the first attempt)? Sasha learned her 4T in a few weeks as well AFAIK in the time between JGPF and JW? And Anna took almost an entire year off training not just on ice but off (she was in much worse shape than now) and regained all her triple and 4Lz in a season.

Many skaters get injured and have to take a good chunk off in the absence of a pandemic but regain their jumps relatively quickly. For most it's just triples, but for someone like Sasha who has never fallen on a triple in international competition, I'd expect quads, at least the 4T, would be as easy as other's relearning their triples.

Sasha fell on a 3A at GPF, which last I checked is a triple!

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
She also fell on a 3Lo, which last time I checked is also a triple.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Lyubov Rubtsova swinging the axe: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-yX3EpJO7N/ , at her grandparents' dacha. She is lucky to be out of the city in fresh air, able to play.

Veronika Zhilina chopping ice earlier: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Ur9NvJtER/ , also at home in Arkhangelsk, where it is still cold and spring only starts breaking.

Other young skaters show their handywork, even give their own online courses in drawing and painting. Having a hobby now comes in handy.

Many ordinary kids in Russia probably live on their couches and beds, since online education isn't always properly implemented, stuffing themselves out of boredom and start doing silly things online.
Children boring themselves to death while cooped up at home are off very poorly. Our educational and child wellbeing authorities have explicitly warned parents to monitor their children's online activities, since perverts and child predators are actively prowling for vulnerable kids.

halulupu

Final Flight
I believe we will get wonderful new eteri programms. she and daniil are sitting now at home and have a lot of time to let their mind flow and be inspired. such geniuses

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Alina Gorbachyova and her class mates still training together in isolation outside of Moscow: https://www.instagram.com/triumph_skating__academy/

With clips from their physical exercise sessions, an explanation of the healthy food they prepare for themselves: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-zt5gxI_Gs/

Like #TeamTutberidzeForProgress and #TeamDavydov, they try to make the best out of the circumstances and occupation with domestic duties, training, exercising, schoolwork and play from dawn to dusk is the best way to prevent boredom while staying in shape and even improving on physical condition, strength and endurance.

With Moscow now planning a QR code assisted curfew system, it will not get easier for it's citizens to travel or even go outside. The girls probably have to remain in their isolated location while the measures last, but are still better off than those locked down in the high rise apartments.

Sof'ya Samodelkina is likewise lucky for her and her sister to live in a nice house in the forest and a big yard to play in: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-zIGmBpex5/ . At 13, Sof'ya is still a kid at heart.

Fluture

Record Breaker
When‘s that from? That‘s really interesting, I‘ve never seen Alina do a 3Lz+3Lo rippon before and I‘ve generally never seen a lutz loop with the rippon on the loop. It looks cool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-lvRsEJX-N/?igshid=t8y6jmjwopzh

Also, I found some more videos of the Europeans (like the 3A’s SP step sequence and Anna’s last spin) and if I find out how to cut them properly, I‘ll share them the next few days. :)

lesnar001

Record Breaker
When‘s that from? That‘s really interesting, I‘ve never seen Alina do a 3Lz+3Lo rippon before and I‘ve generally never seen a lutz loop with the rippon on the loop. It looks cool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-lvRsEJX-N/?igshid=t8y6jmjwopzh

Also, I found some more videos of the Europeans (like the 3A’s SP step sequence and Anna’s last spin) and if I find out how to cut them properly, I‘ll share them the next few days. :)

I can't recall ever seeing her do that either.
Very cool indeed.

I don't know exactly when this was done, but I'm fairly certain she was 15 at the time.
Because of the "15" on the graphic in the upper right corner of the video.
Japanese TV usually puts the age up on the screen. (I'm assuming it is Japanese).