2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1065 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

peeches726

Rinkside
All this speculation surrounding Trusovas new program - Schuberts’ Serenade - is particularly interesting in that it is the same music used by Slutskaya for her ‘02 (Olympic) season short program. I Remember Sandra Bezic commenting that the choice of music was interesting because she was really trying to work on her grace and artistry... many people to this day believe Irina should have been first after the short with that program. She also received a few 6.0s with that at the 02 worlds. Anyway, just thought it was noteworthy given that Sasha is a similarly jockish skater if you will...

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
All this speculation surrounding Trusovas new program - Schuberts’ Serenade - is particularly interesting in that it is the same music used by Slutskaya for her ‘02 (Olympic) season short program. I Remember Sandra Bezic commenting that the choice of music was interesting because she was really trying to work on her grace and artistry... many people to this day believe Irina should have been first after the short with that program. She also received a few 6.0s with that at the 02 worlds. Anyway, just thought it was noteworthy given that Sasha is a similarly jockish skater if you will...

Watching it again, although I prefer the Gynt music, this is a better program for Trusova-it is slower. It needs a bit more polish to be sure, but I suspect this is what she will be using for Worlds.

I have a question: At the end of the show, when they are all going down the ice doing their last jumps (finale)-it looks as if Trusova did a 3Lutz4Toe. Is that what I'm seeing? Anyone? Also worth a mention, during that finale Kostornaia just FLYS across the ice. My God she is fast. Her basic skating is so powerful, she ought to hold master classes for others.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Watching it again, although I prefer the Gynt music, this is a better program for Trusova-it is slower. It needs a bit more polish to be sure, but I suspect this is what she will be using for Worlds.

I have a question: At the end of the show, when they are all going down the ice doing their last jumps (finale)-it looks as if Trusova did a 3Lutz4Toe. Is that what I'm seeing? Anyone? Also worth a mention, during that finale Kostornaia just FLYS across the ice. My God she is fast. Her basic skating is so powerful, she ought to hold master classes for others.

No, she isn't like Shoma Uno yet :biggrin: It was 3Lz+3T - but her 3T there is really high. Also, try to learn using slo-mo function of youtube yourself - it's not that hard and makes you much more educated about jumps as well.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
How do they create practice groups?

I guess it is created with regard to organization purposes (skaters from one country usually are in the same group) and it should at least partially reflect the strength of the skaters and also the school/style to ensure fluid training and avoid possible collisions. If you look on the group six, together with Eteri's girls there are Kurakova, Urushadze and Sidorova, so russian or at least partially russian school. You can also see that US girls are in the same group, japanese and korean girls are also in the same group. But it's only an opinion :)

Mawwerg

Final Flight
I guess it is created with regard to organization purposes (skaters from one country usually are in the same group) and it should at least partially reflect the strength of the skaters and also the school/style to ensure fluid training and avoid possible collisions. If you look on the group six, together with Eteri's girls there are Kurakova, Urushadze and Sidorova, so russian or at least partially russian school. You can also see that US girls are in the same group, japanese and korean girls are also in the same group. But it's only an opinion :)

Yeah, Russian girls have a decent group, however poor Alysa should somehow survive with Filcova, Ramashova and Alcantara around.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
This is the first time I see no new posts for in this thread!

So lets discuss the most difficult question. With long-term favourites Alina, Zhenya and Liza not participating in the World Championship, who do you hope wins?

For me it is incredibly difficult to have a favourite from the 3As, I love them all. I've always had a soft spot for Anna. Of course, Aliona is amazing. But this time I hope that Sasha lands all her quads and wins. She deserves it after starting this whole revolution and after her difficult season. Aliona had her GPF and Euro gold, Anna took the National title again, so right now I am all Sasha team. I am afraid that if she doesn't succeed this time, she may get disheartened and discouraged. Plus, she is growing and next season will hardly be easier. So, go Sasha! Tear them to pieces!

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Alena is my favorite of the three, so of course I am cheering for her to win.

But, more than anything, I want all 3 girls to go out there and perform to their fullest potential. What if they all had 2 clean skates? What a competition that would be!

I want Alena to land her axels, I want Anna to finally land all three quads cleanly, and I want Sasha to finally have that redemption skate she's been hoping for. It's going to be an insane competition, that's for sure. May the best lady win! :yes:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

So lets discuss the most difficult question. With long-term favourites Alina, Zhenya and Liza not participating in the World Championship, who do you hope wins?

For me it is incredibly difficult to have a favourite from the 3As, I love them all. I've always had a soft spot for Anna. Of course, Aliona is amazing. But this time I hope that Sasha lands all her quads and wins. She deserves it after starting this whole revolution and after her difficult season. Aliona had her GPF and Euro gold, Anna took the National title again, so right now I am all Sasha team. I am afraid that if she doesn't succeed this time, she may get disheartened and discouraged. Plus, she is growing and next season will hardly be easier. So, go Sasha! Tear them to pieces!

If I had to choose a favourite of the 3A, I would say Anna, but usually I'm not doing well with predictions. And of course any of the mighty A-Team can win and deserves it.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
You know, the more I watch Trusova's Schubert Program, the more I enjoy it. Its not perfect yet, but there are nice soft arm movements and very visible acknowledgements of the music - and this isn't an easy piece to interpret. What people have to realize is that she hasn't probably been working on this program for very long. For Sasha, I notice that it usually takes her some time to perfect a piece, and improvements and additions come throughout the season. Imo her best Big Spender performance was the JWC one (one of my favorite Sasha performances ever in terms of musicality). From the June 2019 picture of her in that pose, I'm guessing this was originally choreographed as her sp for this season and then ditched. So she probably hasn't worked on it since summer. She could clean up some messy parts, and I think the step sequence needs working on, but overall I think its very lovely. And I love the music. I'd say 70-30 on whether they keep this for worlds (I'm not sure why she would perform it here with a triple axel if she weren't planning on doing it but who knows). But if she does, I think can improve in the month before WC.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

I agree with everything you said. I love them all so it's hard to choose. But I also have a soft spot for Anna so I have to say I want her to win. But I think though, that most of all I want Sasha to have a great and clean skate so she can feel that she did the best she can. Can't wait til Worlds!!

katymay

Medalist

I have a soft spot for Trusova and I hope she skates well. I want to see her happy again. I would love to see Tiny Boss come back in a big way. However, realistically, I believe Anna will win. Anna is the least affected by growth and puberty changes this year.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Yes Leaves it's hard to choose between the three and it's actually very draining to watch them compete against each other. At least for myself and I'm assuming everyone who is a fan of all three. Seeing tiny Sasha so distraught and in tears at Europeans made me doubt my love for this sport. Is it even worth it? No one knows what's going to happen in ladies figure skating who Russia is going to have come on the scene in the next year or two and what Alysa will become. There is no guarantee that's Sasha Anna and aliona are going to be clearly the three best in the world next season like they have been this season. The pressure is on these three girls and they feel it. Then when Alysa and Kamila become senior eligible it's really going to get crazy.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I was rewatching Sasha/Alyona/Polya etc. programs from Olympic season and I have to say Daniil's choreo really peaked in 17/18. I know Eteri choreographed Adios Nonino (which is, to this day, still my favorite Alyona program), but Stella's Theme, Big Spender, Dreamcatcher, Light of Seven, Anna Karenina, Black Swan, Fly etc. were all such good programs! I like some of his programs now, but mostly due to how well the skaters perform it (Me Voy is an exception as Alina performs it beautifully, but the choreo itself is actually very beautiful). I feel like Team Tutberidze should really hire another choreographer so 1. the skaters can try different styles and 2. Daniil can get a break and choreograph some better programs

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
On the Sasha's new SP topic: I like her program, but again it does need a lot more polishing + refining. It could be great, but personally I do want to see Sasha skating the "Big Spender" jazzy energetic type again. I feel like Sasha is concentrating too much on jumps now, because you can tell that in her SP, she doesn't really perform. You can see in Big Spender that she performs her heart out, hitting musical accents here and there, smiling and just really enjoying the heck out of her programs. I don't see that spark in her programs this season which is so sad. I want to see Sasha performing like that again. But I also really want to see her perform clean!!!!! (I still want Sasha for World Champ!)

SkateSkates

Medalist
I was rewatching Sasha/Alyona/Polya etc. programs from Olympic season and I have to say Daniil's choreo really peaked in 17/18. I know Eteri choreographed Adios Nonino (which is, to this day, still my favorite Alyona program), but Stella's Theme, Big Spender, Dreamcatcher, Light of Seven, Anna Karenina, Black Swan, Fly etc. were all such good programs! I like some of his programs now, but mostly due to how well the skaters perform it (Me Voy is an exception as Alina performs it beautifully, but the choreo itself is actually very beautiful). I feel like Team Tutberidze should really hire another choreographer so 1. the skaters can try different styles and 2. Daniil can get a break and choreograph some better programs

100% agree - and I would add Sasha’s LP to your list. For some reason almost all the programs that season worked for the skaters and played to their unique strengths SO WELL.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Alena is my favorite of the three, so of course I am cheering for her to win.

But, more than anything, I want all 3 girls to go out there and perform to their fullest potential. What if they all had 2 clean skates? What a competition that would be!

I want Alena to land her axels, I want Anna to finally land all three quads cleanly, and I want Sasha to finally have that redemption skate she's been hoping for. It's going to be an insane competition, that's for sure. May the best lady win! :yes:

I really want Alexandra to win, but Anna is clear favorite.

Although, obviously, ice is slippery and anything can happen.

readernick

Medalist
I really want Alexandra to win, but Anna is clear favorite.

Although, obviously, ice is slippery and anything can happen.

Why is Anna the clear favorite in your opinion?

I am not saying that she will not win. She absolutely could. However, I don't think previous international competitions reveal her to be the clear favorite. In the two international competitions where the three girls competed against each other, Aliona won. Anna has the lowest PB internationally among the three. Additionally, Anna is more at the mercy of technical panels because she has more issues with jump rotation and edges than either Sasha (correct edges on all jumps, less likely to UR).... and Aliona ( who sometimes has a ! on her lutz but only has two lutzes in her programs.. and only very occasionally UR on the 3A).

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Why is Anna the clear favorite in your opinion?

I am not saying that she will not win. She absolutely could. However, I don't think previous international competitions reveal her to be the clear favorite. In the two international competitions where the three girls competed against each other, Aliona won. Anna has the lowest PB internationally among the three. Additionally, Anna is more at the mercy of technical panels because she has more issues with jump rotation and edges than either Sasha (correct edges on all jumps, less likely to UR).... and Aliona ( who sometimes has a ! on her lutz but only has two lutzes in her programs.. and only very occasionally UR on the 3A).

First of all both Alena and Alexandra are on the downward curve While Anna seems to have stability.

IMO, Anna needs 3 clear quads to beat Alena at her best day and 2 clean quads and 1 fully rotated quad (even with fall) to beat Alena in current shape. Sure, GPF version of Alena will beat Anna if she doesn't land 3 quads with positive GOE, but I doubt that Alena will arrive at worlds.

Regarding to Alexandra- She needs 4 quads to win, She only landed 4 quads once also her confidence is visibly off so... I really want her to win it,preferably with 5 Quads + Triple Axel, I just doubt that, right now, she is capable of pulling performance necessary to win it.

So... I think GPF version of Anna is going to take gold home and she has again and again prove that performance of that level is expected from her.