2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 990 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

rosy14

Final Flight
I have been thinking about Kanysheva‘s situation ever since I‘ve heard of the news and honestly, the conclusion I‘ve come to is nothing short of depressing. Imo, Alena was failed utterly and thoroughly by the people in charge of her. Why?

Well, if we take her word for the date of the injury, and this happened in November 2018, then...

1. She most likely hid the injury and kept training regularly in Panova‘s team (as Anna Kuzmenko‘s mum wrote on Instagram that no one in the team knew about it). This means that, first of all, no one in Panova‘s team noticed a severely injured athlete for several months (or deliberately ignored it which is even worse) AND let her compete at multiple events she could have withdrawn from. Then, of course, she moved to Eteri and, as we all know, started to train a quad there. Whether she wanted to and the coaches just let her do it, is completely irrelevant. Fact is that she was training a highly dangerous element on a body that had not yet had the time to recover and no one stopped her. No coaches, no parents.

2. Panova knew about the injury and still let her compete.

I do not even want to get into the possibility that the date she mentioned wasn‘t correct and she’s trying (or made) to save someone’s reputation as my main point stands anyway:

Athletes drop out all the time. Not everybody - in fact, most - do not make it to the top of their sport. But in this case we have a 14 year old teenager who was seriously injured and should not have been in the state to either participate in multiple events or train ultra c elements. The move to withdraw her was made way too late and the damage was already done by then.

I can only say that, right now, I‘m thoroughly disappointed. I hope that Alena will look back at her career as a singles skater and not feel bitterness because honestly, I, as a fan, can say that I am right now. Hopefully, her “dream“ of landing a jump for an Instagram video was worth all this... (and no, don‘t tell me that an athlete who‘s given up everything to their sport only dreams of landing a specific element not even during a competition)

Imo, her injury was managed wrongly from the very beginning and, for me at least, there will always be the ”what could have been if...?“ I wish her all the best and hope she succeeds as an Ice Dancer. She deserves it. This is the only thing that makes me feel slightly better. At least she will not leave the sport altogether.

Good luck, Alena!! :pray:

You’re perfectly right. And unfortunately she’s not the first to leave single skating for back injury.
And ice dancers are prone to back injuries and back pains too: the first Khaliavin’s partner, with whom he won a JGP or a JW, had to leave skating completely, because of back injury, at 16-17 years, if I remember correctly.
So, I’m worried we won’t see her on the ice anymore.

Artemisa

Final Flight
After seeing the news criteria of RussFed ...I think they are just funny ... because we all see Russfed men/ladies/pairs/ice dance being 12th at europeans and being considering for the nacional team and be sending them to worlds or to the national team. In ladies/pairs/ice dance they probably would sending them for siberia ( we saw sofia that won and didn't go to worlds) .. in men that's another story

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
After seeing the news criteria of RussFed ...I think they are just funny ... because we all see Russfed men/ladies/pairs/ice dance being 12th at europeans and being considering for the nacional team and be sending them to worlds or to the national team. In ladies/pairs/ice dance they probably would sending them for siberia ( we saw sofia that won and didn't go to worlds) .. in men that's another story

Sofia did go to Worlds, where she skated nearly clean and placed 8th overall :)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Sofia did go to Worlds, where she skated nearly clean and placed 8th overall :)

But Konstantinova is clearly in the danger zone?

And who will move up? Perhaps still Junior Nationals, Junior Worlds are qualifying and determinative events.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I do not understand a word in what you have written. What??? Men/Ladies/Pairs/Ice dance in 12th place are considered for Worlds, but Ladies/Pairs/Ice dance in 12th place are considered for Siberia???

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I do not understand a word in what you have written. What??? Men/Ladies/Pairs/Ice dance in 12th place are considered for Worlds, but Ladies/Pairs/Ice dance in 12th place are considered for Siberia???

I think they're referring to Samarin, but I have no idea about the rest :scratch2:

Last edited:

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
So this novice competition going on now with Sofia x2 and most others of the best novice skaters. is it just som random comp or is it a qualifier for something like novice nats?

Artemisa

Final Flight
FFKKR published it revised selection criteria for inclusion in the national selection coming season: https://rsport.ria.ru/20200129/1564010474.html, a translation can be found in the men’s thread.

If really applied to the letter, several current members might not make the grades?

I think they're referring to Samarin, but I have no idea about the rest :scratch2:

To edwin post: "FFKKR published it revised selection criteria for inclusion in the national selection coming season: https://rsport.ria.ru/20200129/1564010474.html, a translation can be found in the men’s thread."

What I'm saying is with fierce competition in ladies, pairs and ice dance ... putting a criteria of 12th place at euros for the national team isn't creadivel .. what ladie would survive a 12th place at euros ...

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I suspect that the Kanysheva story might be a story of a young girl with dreams that might have hidden her injury to her coaches and parents. And coaches and parents that didn't observe this.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I suspect that the Kanysheva story might be a story of a young girl with dreams that might have hidden her injury to her coaches and parents. And coaches and parents that didn't observe this.

Highly unlikely... a 13-14 year old girl just went on not complaining about pains and just ignoring them for no particular reason? Why?
Okay, I might believe she „hid“ it from her coaches, but why hide it from parents?
Unlikely, imo.

I bet it’s not her first time getting injured, pretty sure by 14 she already had a fair share of different injuries and knows what to do and how to act in case she’s injured, and is a lot more professional in that regard than people think.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
After seeing the Kanysheva story, I am not impressed by all those 3As and quads at that random competition.

So now being done as junior became a thing... how long before being done before even making it to junior is a thing? "b-b-b-but she has a medal from that random novice competition and video of doing quad combo on insta!" sounds as a bad excuse for ruined health.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
FFKKR published it revised selection criteria for inclusion in the national selection coming season: https://rsport.ria.ru/20200129/1564010474.html, a translation can be found in the men’s thread.

If really applied to the letter, several current members might not make the grades?

I am confused by this. What is the exact criteria when it comes to GPs and Russian Cup Final?

Also, I wonder if this means that Guliakova and Shulskaya are about to be promoted?

Scott512

Record Breaker
I have been thinking about Kanysheva‘s situation ever since I‘ve heard of the news and honestly, the conclusion I‘ve come to is nothing short of depressing. Imo, Alena was failed utterly and thoroughly by the people in charge of her. Why?

Well, if we take her word for the date of the injury, and this happened in November 2018, then...

1. She most likely hid the injury and kept training regularly in Panova‘s team (as Anna Kuzmenko‘s mum wrote on Instagram that no one in the team knew about it). This means that, first of all, no one in Panova‘s team noticed a severely injured athlete for several months (or deliberately ignored it which is even worse) AND let her compete at multiple events she could have withdrawn from. Then, of course, she moved to Eteri and, as we all know, started to train a quad there. Whether she wanted to and the coaches just let her do it, is completely irrelevant. Fact is that she was training a highly dangerous element on a body that had not yet had the time to recover and no one stopped her. No coaches, no parents.

2. Panova knew about the injury and still let her compete.

I do not even want to get into the possibility that the date she mentioned wasn‘t correct and she’s trying (or made) to save someone’s reputation as my main point stands anyway:

Athletes drop out all the time. Not everybody - in fact, most - do not make it to the top of their sport. But in this case we have a 14 year old teenager who was seriously injured and should not have been in the state to either participate in multiple events or train ultra c elements. The move to withdraw her was made way too late and the damage was already done by then.

I can only say that, right now, I‘m thoroughly disappointed. I hope that Alena will look back at her career as a singles skater and not feel bitterness because honestly, I, as a fan, can say that I am right now. Hopefully, her “dream“ of landing a jump for an Instagram video was worth all this... (and no, don‘t tell me that an athlete who‘s given up everything to their sport only dreams of landing a specific element not even during a competition)

Imo, her injury was managed wrongly from the very beginning and, for me at least, there will always be the ”what could have been if...?“ I wish her all the best and hope she succeeds as an Ice Dancer. She deserves it. This is the only thing that makes me feel slightly better. At least she will not leave the sport altogether.

Good luck, Alena!! :pray:
it's just unbelievable so frustrating and so confusing. Stepping away from single skating at 14 is not normal. And her injury is still a mystery we don't really know what it is. I also agree aliona may not have been handled properly. It's just so sad and I hope the girl is okay.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
After seeing the Kanysheva story, I am not impressed by all those 3As and quads at that random competition.

So now being done as junior became a thing... how long before being done before even making it to junior is a thing? "b-b-b-but she has a medal from that random novice competition and video of doing quad combo on insta!" sounds as a bad excuse for ruined health.

1. let's not pretend that you (and most people with comments like this) were ever impressed with 3As and quads anywhere.

2. So what should they do now, try their first quad at senior worlds FP?

3. Being done as a junior because of health (or because of lack of talent/money/interest) has been a thing since probably first kid started training to become a professional athlete and will be until sport exists. Only thing that Eteri changed is that before Eteri times nobody would ever hear about 14 years old quitting due to injury. She made junior level competitions so interesting that not only 13-14 years olds are on National (and International) TV but there are fan clubs of 11 years olds and tons of people watch competitions such as Moscow Championship's lowest age category, While nobody but his/her immediate family will care if some 14 years old Basketball or football player has to quit sport due to injuries tomorrow.

SkateSkates

Medalist
A bit off topic, but does anyone have a link to the document outlining the ranks - I.e. Master of Sport, etc?

I’m wondering if Aliona and Anna will now qualify for the same rank Sasha has? Or do they need world medals? Thanks in advance!

Edit: never mind, found last years here https://www.minsport.gov.ru/2019/doc/FigurKatanie310119_EVSK2019.xlsx

It seems both Aliona and Anna will receive the MSMK rank based on their medals at Euros regardless of Worlds results. Sasha already has this rank from last season.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
I am confused by this. What is the exact criteria when it comes to GPs and Russian Cup Final?

Also, I wonder if this means that Guliakova and Shulskaya are about to be promoted?

To be included in the team, you need to get into 1-8 of any GP event (that means, Zagitova, medvedeva, Samodurova and Sakhanovich will be in the NT next season) and 1-5 in Russian cup final, so far Tsibinova is leading, followed by Tarakanova and Nugumanova, followed By Sakhanovich (already qualified for NT),Gubanova and Frolova(same), Shulskaya who was 6th after Russian cup stages but also qualified from Nationals (finished 8th).

So far,favorites to get into National team seem to be Tsibinova,Tarakanova Nugumanova,Gubanova,Talaykina and Gracheva, at least they are 1-6 in standing not counting girls who already got into team :biggrin: most likely Konstantinova will also compete at finals.

And yeah, Guliakova and Shulskaya should be in.

colormyworld240

Medalist
It's such a shame to hear about Kanysheva, she really had great jumps. The whole situation is strange. I doubt she would've been able to hide a major injury from both Panova and Eteri, while training intensively for JGPF and learning a quad. And I doubt those coaches would let her keep skating on a bad injury; I'm unsure about Panova but Eteri has had many girls take a break even with more "minor" injuries. Especially since it was just a junior season and not major competitions like worlds or olympics. And I doubt her parents would've let her had they known the extent of the injury. I do wonder if she was just misdiagnosed and it started out as a small injury, feeling like an annoyance, then got worse as she continued to train and by the time it was diagnosed, too much damage had been done. But aren't injuries generally easy to diagnose? I'd imagine a scan should reveal most of the possible injuries from any sport. It certainly would be useful to have more information, but of course Alena is under no obligation to reveal her medical details to the general public. I wish her luck in ice dance.

On another note, I wonder if this increases the chance of Tarakanova moving to seniors next season. It seems like she and Sinitsyna will, at least? They seem like the most promising of those age-eligible, unless I'm missing someone.