2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 845 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
I noticed Johnny Weir when commentating GPF said that he had been talking to a Russian girl who competes "at high level" and she had said that she knows the three young girls will be selected for Euros and Worlds, so what was she to do with her life...

Anyone know which Russian skater Johnny was talking about?

I am 99% sure it's Evgenia since they have a relationship. Anyway. Alina would not call anyone let alone Johnny. To me it's not a big deal. But they're always injuries and slumps and others have to be ready to go. The reason why the Grand Prix final is so good is because you can have more than three skaters per Nation if you deserve it. And Russia loaded up the Grand Prix finals in juniors and seniors and deservedly so.

Finley

Record Breaker
You sure? She already asked him for career advice during the summer. 3:49 https://youtu.be/ABBE_lQQD0o

Asking for career advice is a whole different thing from opening your heart to someone. I just think Alina is too shy for that.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing a moment of doubt with someone you consider a true friend. We are all human and we all need to reach out to someone we trust.

If Alina is close enough friends with Johnny to have that conversation then she is blessed to have someone else in her life she feels like she can confide in.

I can more easily imagine her reaching out to Tiffany or Aliona Savchenko, but you can never have too many supportive friends.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
I noticed Johnny Weir when commentating GPF said that he had been talking to a Russian girl who competes "at high level" and she had said that she knows the three young girls will be selected for Euros and Worlds, so what was she to do with her life...

I doubt anybody except Johnny and that girl knows it. I think it's in La Tuk style.

katymay

Medalist

I think it might be Serafima-she said something like this a while ago-paraphrasing but it was "it doesn't matter if I"m 5th or 15th, I'm still not going to Worlds."

Scott512

Record Breaker
You sure? She already asked him for career advice during the summer. 3:49 https://youtu.be/ABBE_lQQD0o
That's why I wrote 99% sure. ;) all of this hike and drama and frustration is senseless I think all of us have just want these young ladies to be happy and healthy. But the sport takes a lot out of these athletes and most of them don't even win much. The price they pay is incredible even for a big-time winner like Alina.

I hope Alina is kicking back and laughing at everyone making such a fuss out of her career pause. I'm sure she could not believe what's going on.

Finley

Record Breaker
That's why I wrote 99% sure. ;) all of this hike and drama and frustration is senseless I think all of us have just want these young ladies to be happy and healthy. But the sport takes a lot out of these athletes and most of them don't even win much. The price they pay is incredible even for a big-time winner like Alina.

I hope Alina is kicking back and laughing at everyone making such a fuss out of her career pause. I'm sure she could not believe what's going on.

It's kind of unbelievable. She wants to take a break. Russia has 5 other ladies capable of medalling at Euros & Worlds. Three of whom have dominated the season and are undefeated in their individual GP events. They are the top 3 women in the world. If ever there was a time that she was not need to secure three spots for Russia at Worlds this is it! Perfect time for a break. She's not leaving anyone hanging. The Russian Ladies team is as strong as it's ever been.

Everyone who was asked to give an opinion could have just said - "Enjoy your break. You've earned it." But nooooo......

Seems like a few people saw an opening to get a dig in and just had to shoot their shot. Straw met camel's back, and here we are.

Wondering what fresh round of chaos the Urgant Show will bring next?

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's kind of unbelievable. She wants to take a break. Russia has 5 other ladies capable of medalling at Euros & Worlds. Three of whom have dominated the season and are undefeated in their individual GP events. They are the top 3 women in the world. If ever there was a time that she was not need to secure three spots for Russia at Worlds this is it! Perfect time for a break. She's not leaving anyone hanging. The Russian Ladies team is as strong as it's ever been.

Everyone who was asked to give an opinion could have just said - "Enjoy your break. You've earned it." But nooooo......

Seems like a few people saw an opening to get a dig in and just had to shoot their shot. Straw met camel's back, and here we are.

Wondering what fresh round of chaos the Urgant Show will bring next?

It actually did open the door for a lot of this nonsense that has flabbergasted millions of people including Alina and no doubt her coaches. I also think this is why eteri is so pissed off and fired up right now. she's bringing the brass knuckles for everybody!

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
You're welcome! And as I can see, KOBOT has posted even longer timeline.

The entire thing is crazy. Will it cool down before Nats or is it just an appetizer to what we will get by the end of December?

This is definitely an appetizer. Especially if TAT is commentating nationals like she normally does. It would not surprise me if she rips the 3A apart even if they all skate clean.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think it might be Serafima-she said something like this a while ago-paraphrasing but it was "it doesn't matter if I"m 5th or 15th, I'm still not going to Worlds."

While I don't think it really matters who specifically said it - if Serafima said something along the lines of what you said, it doesn't make sense that she would tell Johnny that she doesn't know what to do with her life with the 3 young girls going to be chosen for Europeans/Worlds; being settled that she isn't going to go to Worlds regardless of place doesn't sound like someone who would tell a commentator that she doesn't know what to do with her life. And does Serafima really qualify in what Johnny called "Competes at a high level" - in the last 4 seasons she's been to 3 GP events only making it to the top 5 once.

Amei

Record Breaker
It actually did open the door for a lot of this nonsense that has flabbergasted millions of people including Alina and no doubt her coaches. I also think this is why eteri is so pissed off and fired up right now. she's bringing the brass knuckles for everybody!

Agree. Whoever advised Zagitova to do the interview to say she was WD from Nationals last week was the one that really lit the match on this social media firestorm because it made her WD from Nationals a way bigger deal than it actually is especially considering apparently she's going to be doing an interview again this week about the Navka show she signed up for months ago - so why not just address the Nationals withdrawal there instead of doing an entire interview about it other than to make the WD a big deal.

colormyworld240

Medalist
This is definitely an appetizer. Especially if TAT is commentating nationals like she normally does. It would not surprise me if she rips the 3A apart even if they all skate clean.

Well, good thing Ted Barton is also commentating Russian Nationals. Unlike TAT, he gives the girls praise where he thinks they deserve it, and he also gives constructive criticism. People love him not because he only sings praise, but because his criticism is thought out with the intention of improving the skaters. For example, he has said in the past that Alena can work more on expressing her music particularly in her face, and Sasha can work more on skating and performance. This is his opinion, and people don't hate him for stating it because he is genuinely talking about the improvement of athletes as opposed to using them for some kind of agenda.

Ted is Canadian, but he treats skaters of all nationalities with respect. TAT is Russian, and enjoys attacking many Russian skaters. I appreciate that having a good attitude and love for the sport as opposed to the drama are appreciated, as Ted was invited to the panel of test skates and now to commentate on nationals. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a trend to what we will be seeing in Russian skating. The girls (and boys - didn't she have some awful things to say about Kolyada as well?) have had enough mental abuse from figures like TAT.

Finley

Record Breaker
Agree. Whoever advised Zagitova to do the interview to say she was WD from Nationals last week was the one that really lit the match on this social media firestorm because it made her WD from Nationals a way bigger deal than it actually is especially considering apparently she's going to be doing an interview again this week about the Navka show she signed up for months ago - so why not just address the Nationals withdrawal there instead of doing an entire interview about it other than to make the WD a big deal.

I disagree. It was a good interview. She was asked a lot of serious questions and handled herself really well. It wasn't rushed. She had time to explain herself. The interviewer treated her respectfully but didn't hold back. Clearly the television show wanted her there or they wouldn't have given her interview so much air-time. They wouldn't have spent time filming her long walk down the hall to the studio to set the tone for the interview.

Also people seemed determined to project their own meanings onto her words. She said what she said. She even asked the interviewer to announce it first, 'word for word', to make it absolutely clear. He questioned her on it multiple times and she didn't waver from her decision.

When it seemed her words were still misconstrued she posted on her IG trying to clarify any misunderstanding. Again, some people seem to have a really hard time taking her at her word and just believing her!

The Urgant show is a lighthearted, humorous, comedy entertainment show. Not the ideal scenario for a serious career announcement. Navka will want to keep the focus on the upcoming Sleeping Beauty shows as much as possible. I'm sure Alina will be just fine with that. I hope it is a fun, positive experience for Alina.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Serafima might believe it doesnt matter if you are 5th or 15th but 5th in Russian ladies means you are on the all important Russian ladies B team. 15th is like the D team. Big difference.

I wish they just tweeted out Alina was taking the rest of the season off to recover or a break or whatever. If they did that some of this storm may not have been avoided. The over analysing is unreal. Now Alina will do another TV interview and say she is not retiring just taking a break. All the girl wants is to take some real time off to do shows and rest her tired body and recharge her batteries. I expect to see Alina back next summer and fall but that remains to be seen.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
People who just want time to recharge their batteries generally take off the GP rather than Nationals. But best wishes to Alina, and of course the door is open for her to return if she wishes to do so in the future.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Meanwhile , in the Sankt Petersburg Championships

1. Gubanova 214.03 (good, one < on the toe)
2. Konstantinova 197.59 (messy, 4 <'s and a fall on the Lz)
3. Gulyakova 197.40 (solid, doubled the flip)
4. Sakhanovich 192.24 (missed one triple combination again)
5. Talalaykina 183.71 (much better but still a little shaky)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XunkOe4O6bM

Thank you Jontor. Even though it was a minor competition there was some real talent there. Better than some challegers dare I say They keep burying Nastya Gubanova but she keeps coming back. :agree: For her to sake like this after getting dumped on, buried and humiliated by TATs girl Buyanova then not get any events then starting with a new team I bet the fed thought Nastya was history. Maybe not so fast. That's the best Nastya has skated in a long time. Maybe since she worked with Turenko. 214 is not much when you compare it to the top 5 Russinas but its the highest score I have ever seen her receive and Nastya only scored 178 something a couple months ago in 1 of the Russian cup stages. That was scary low for her. Now 214 something. Maybe things are starting to click with her new team. She needs to stop changing coaches. 3 in 3 years in too much. Stasya and Serafima are not on their games this year. Talakina and Gulyakova disappointed with their low scores . But we all know they can do much better and they are counting on that too.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I am 99% sure it's Evgenia since they have a relationship. Anyway. Alina would not call anyone let alone Johnny. To me it's not a big deal. But they're always injuries and slumps and others have to be ready to go. The reason why the Grand Prix final is so good is because you can have more than three skaters per Nation if you deserve it. And Russia loaded up the Grand Prix finals in juniors and seniors and deservedly so.
do not think it was zhenya . But could be any Russian lady. Serafima mabye?