2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1041 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Regardless, be into the ISU season best list is actually needed when a skater need the TES minimums for the ISU championships or some GP spots on the next season, but on both, actually, there's no place for everyone.

Even if Russia would place 20 ladies into the first 24 season best, they still need two GP spots of 18 at each one of their best skaters.

Tyranid

Final Flight
Sometimes this thread looks so alike to that unmoderated sports.ru gutter. :(

I suggest we wish the whole TSK trio the best of luck at the WC so that they can get that rare podium sweep. Remember, in women's singles it happened only once in history, back in 1991.

Edit: Rika and possibly even You are threats for bronze, so let's hope Sasha does better than at GPF and EC.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Sometimes this thread looks so alike to that unmoderated sports.ru gutter. :(

I suggest we wish the whole TSK trio the best of luck at the WC so that they can get that rare podium sweep. Remember, in women's singles it happened only once in history, back in 1991.

Edit: Rika and possibly even You are threats for bronze, so let's hope Sasha does better than at GPF and EC.

I agree, best of luck to the 3A and hoping for another sweep. And as you said, You and Kihira will be the main threats.

Oh that podium sweep in 1991. I couldn't resist, but I rewatched those programs for the top 6. How Yamaguchi could win is beyond me. Harding was robbed, so was also Bonaly and Chouinard who also should have been on the podium. Yamaguchi (those flutzes lol) and Kerrigan were both meh. Looking at the tech content and comparing it to today's scoring, it really should have been Harding, Chouinard and Bonaly on the podium. But I know, I can't really compare different eras. Those were the days when you could win a medal with a spiral.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Happy 13th birthday to Sof’ya Samodelkina :) https://www.instagram.com/p/B8tRfk3JMnx/ , birthday poem written by her dad.

Small CSKA photo album: http://ltk-cska.ru/photoalbums/02-sofya-samodelkina/

Will she be on her way to Velikiy Novgorod, or will her #TeamDavydov still be deliberating wether to compete or not in the Russian Cup Finals, to win a medal?

There has been a press conference in the ice stadium, and now there will be the draw of starting orders: https://fsrussia.ru/news/4918-press-konferentsiya-posvyashchennaya-startu-finala-kubka-rossii.html

We can look forward to the Battle of the Anastasiya's and the Sof'yas ;-)

Velikiy Novgorod is ready and pleased to greet the contestants: https://novvedomosti.ru/news/sport/59924/

And here is the online schedule and results page: https://fsrussia.ru/results/1920/cor1920_final/index.htm

KMS Juniors has a top field, this is going to be another good competition for the unknowns to get into a higher rank next season: Akat'yeva, Berestovskaya, Vaytkus, Gorbachyova, Zakharova, Moroz, Muravyova, Osokina, Petrosyan, Ryabinina, Samodelkina, Sultanmagomedova. Apart from Akat'yeva, Berestovskaya and Zakharova who are too young, there are JPG starts to be won next season.

MS Seniors is hardly less: Grachyova, Gubanova, Gulyakova, Nugumanova, Talalaikina, Tarakanova, Frolova, Tsibinova, Shulskaya. Here, also established skaters defending their positions against eager newcomers. In contrast to the juniors, no ultra-si? We'll see if Gulyakova jumps her triksel.

So season has ended for Samodurova?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I'm surprised that Samodurova isn't there. And what about Vasilieva and Sinitsyna?

Very difficult to predict the results here. I think there is at least five ladies that can win this.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I agree, best of luck to the 3A and hoping for another sweep. And as you said, You and Kihira will be the main threats.

Oh that podium sweep in 1991. I couldn't resist, but I rewatched those programs for the top 6. How Yamaguchi could win is beyond me. Harding was robbed, so was also Bonaly and Chouinard who also should have been on the podium. Yamaguchi (those flutzes lol) and Kerrigan were both meh. Looking at the tech content and comparing it to today's scoring, it really should have been Harding, Chouinard and Bonaly on the podium. But I know, I can't really compare different eras. Those were the days when you could win a medal with a spiral.
I mean that’s why I really hope they reject the proposed changes. I think back in those days the scores reflected more of who fit a certain look or persona since it was subjective.

I think the recent changes related to GOE have helped balance artistry with tech content. You see this in the wins of Kamila over Alysa and Alena/Anna over Sasha. And Jason Brown’s recent medal.

It’s sort of ironic that what really kicked off the shift to increase the importance of artistry over technical content was the outrage after Alina defeat Zhenya.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I'm surprised that Samodurova isn't there. And what about Vasilieva and Sinitsyna?

Very difficult to predict the results here. I think there is at least five ladies that can win this.

9 spots out of 10 used, so Vasil'yeva was withdrawn again? Sinitsyna should be safe for next season given her JGP results. But her absence still is disconcerting.

Based on Nationals results, I really hope for Valeriya Shulskaya to compete excellently and get some quality assignments next year. But of course, all contestants hope for the same :)
So a lot depends on the outcome of this competition.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I mean that’s why I really hope they reject the proposed changes. I think back in those days the scores reflected more of who fit a certain look or persona since it was subjective.

I think the recent changes related to GOE have helped balance artistry with tech content. You see this in the wins of Kamila over Alysa and Alena/Anna over Sasha. And Jason Brown’s recent medal.

It’s sort of ironic that what really kicked off the shift to increase the importance of artistry over technical content was the outrage after Alina defeat Zhenya.

Yes, the rule change of GOE+5/-5 in combination with lower BV's for quads, has been a very good change imo. If you fall on a quad now, it's like you did a bad triple. GOE skaters like Valieva (JGP Final), Kostornaia (GP Final) and Brown (4CC) can really catch up with good a skate.

lpt

On the Ice
Russian Cup Final ladies

seniors

GRACHEVA
GUBANOVA
GULIAKOVA
NUGUMANOVA
TALALAYKINA
TARAKANOVA
FROLOVA
TSIBINOVA
SHULSKAIA

juniors

AKATYEVA
BERESTOVSKAIA
VAYTKUS
GORBACHEVA
ZAHAROVA
MOROZ
MURAVYEVA
OSOKINA
PETROSIAN
RIABININA
SAMODELKINA
SULTANMAGOMEDOVA

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
A lot of second tier seniors and juniors plus top novices. Sounds good.:yahoo:

Novices is probably a battle for Gold between the Sof'ya's, Bronze is open for almost everybody else, with Berestovskaya, Gorbachyova, Muravyova, Osokina and Petrosyan the most likely candidates. The novices were on fire in their National Championships, we'll see if they are still on their top game two weeks later.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Well, that's not good news for Sinitsina or Vasilieva.... I hope Vasilieva is okay. Maybe Sinitsina needed a mental break, and has done enough already to earn her two GPs anyway. It's good to see Tarakanova on the list, I thought she was done (and not just for the season). I like that I know only a handful of these skaters. Russia really has a factory churning out talented skaters!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Well, that's not good news for Sinitsina or Vasilieva.... I hope Vasilieva is okay. Maybe Sinitsina needed a mental break, and has done enough already to earn her two GPs anyway. It's good to see Tarakanova on the list, I thought she was done (and not just for the season). I like that I know only a handful of these skaters. Russia really has a factory churning out talented skaters!

By the time the women event starts, there probably will be some explanations given in the press or by the commentators, I believe Channel One will cover the women's event too.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
It seems that Anastasia Gracheva has withdrawn from Cup of Russia. So there will only be eight ladies.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I've thought along these lines for a while, but Jonathan Beyer commented how none(or almost none) of the Russian juniors were doing anything purely classical. I think classical music requires the skater to add more interpretation onto which is probably a good thing to practice.

Khromykh's doing Violin Fantasy right, I'm pretty sure that's classical. Vasilieva's doing Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso which is also classical. Frolova's Age of Cathedrals is pretty classical as well. In the novices, Samodelkina's Masquerade Waltz is classical, and Muravyeva's Winter is classical. It seems Tutberidze's group usually strays away from purely classical music while Panova is more likely to use it in her programs (all of her students have had at least one classical program).

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It seems that Anastasia Gracheva has withdrawn from Cup of Russia. So there will only be eight ladies.

Indeed. And there are no reserves called up?

Now its four older skaters from Sankt Peterburg against four younger ones from Moscow. My bets are on the young ones from Moscow, they have more to prove ;-)

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Khromykh's doing Violin Fantasy right, I'm pretty sure that's classical. Vasilieva's doing Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso which is also classical. Frolova's Age of Cathedrals is pretty classical as well. In the novices, Samodelkina's Masquerade Waltz is classical, and Muravyeva's Winter is classical. It seems Tutberidze's group usually strays away from purely classical music while Panova is more likely to use it in her programs (all of her students have had at least one classical program).

Valieva had a free program to Adagio for Spartacus and Phrygia from Spartacus by Khachaturian last season

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The Cup of Russia Final the last 10 years

Although the best from RusNats don't seem to show up, there are some good names in there

2010: 1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 2. Katarina Gerboldt 3. Sofia Biryukova
2011: 1. Rosa Sheveleva 2. Ksenia Makarova 3. Yulia Lipnitskaya
2012: 1. Elena Radionova 2. Anna Shershak 3. Maria Artemieva
2013: 1. Alena Leonova 2. Polina Agafonova 3. Nikol Gosviani
2014: 1. Anna Pogorilaya 2. Evgenia Medvedeva 3. Maria Artemieva
2015: 1. Alexandra Proklova 2. Elizaveta Iushenko 3. Alena Leonova
2016: 1. Alena Leonova 2. Yulia Lipnitskaya 3. Serafima Sakhanovich
2017: 1. Polina Tsurskaya 2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 3. Valeria Mikhailova
2018: 1. Alena Kostornaia 2. Anastasia Gubanova 3. Daria Panenkova
2019: 1. Evgenia Medvedeva 2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 3. Viktoria Vasilieva

brakes

On the Ice
Russian Cup Final ladies

seniors

GRACHEVA
GUBANOVA
GULIAKOVA
NUGUMANOVA
TALALAYKINA
TARAKANOVA
FROLOVA
TSIBINOVA
SHULSKAIA

juniors

AKATYEVA
BERESTOVSKAIA
VAYTKUS
GORBACHEVA
ZAHAROVA
MOROZ
MURAVYEVA
OSOKINA
PETROSIAN
RIABININA
SAMODELKINA
SULTANMAGOMEDOVA
Seniors: If Frolova wants to avoid being underscored like in junior nats, she needs to win tourneys like this one to gain judges' respect. Interesting, what's the form of other big names too.
Juniors: https://youtu.be/WvufFwdqMzg?t=50 :popcorn:

Yes, the rule change of GOE+5/-5 in combination with lower BV's for quads, has been a very good change imo. If you fall on a quad now, it's like you did a bad triple. GOE skaters like Valieva (JGP Final), Kostornaia (GP Final) and Brown (4CC) can really catch up with good a skate.

To me, it is not so clear who benefits from the -5/+5 GOEs. If all the judges give you +5, you don't get 5 extra GOE points. You get a percentage of base value. So the skaters who benefit most are those that do the highest base value jumps.

Is this better or worse than the old method, where +3 on a triple jump really meant +3?