2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1045 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Alyona Leonova: Medvyedeva wants to pursue a career. She knows what it takes.

Yevgeniy Plyushchenko told Sport Express “ it's time to finish the sport for 20-year-old Yevgeniya Medvedeva ”,

Medvyedeva has represented our country for so many years that it seems to me that she already needs to finish sports and not skate anymore. Go to the shows and have fun there. Because it is impossible to compete with girls with quadruple jumps. If she wants to be fifth, seventh - this is her choice, ” Plyushchenko said.

At the Russian Championship in December 2019, after her short program, Medvyedeva took fifth place, but withdrew before the free program because of a broken boot.

The Silver medalist of the 2012 World Championships, Alyona Leonova, does not agree with Plyushchenko’s opinion and spoke about Medvyedeva’s career continuation in a conversation with our Sport Day after Day correspondent.

-- Plyushchenko recommended that Medvyedeva finishes her career, because she would not be able to “ compete with girls with quadruple jumps. ” Do you agree that she will not be able to compete?

- I didn't see her doing the quadruples. But she tried, like she had some attempts - on a fishing rod, with insurance. Zhenya is not one of those who rest on their laurels. I don’t think she should listen to everything that is said to her. She needs to do what she wants. As far as I know, she wants to pursue a career. I think she herself perfectly understands what needs to be done for this. Now without quadruples, you cannot compete. She will try.

-- Can Plyushchenko's wish be called incorrect?

- For a person who competed for Russia and is a fan of ours, speaking in this way is not very correct. Now he speaks more as a coach, rather than a former athlete. One could put it mildly. Finishing a career is an individual choice. And I do not think that it is time for her to finish, there is potential. She is not exhausted. I think that she is able to jump quadruples.

-- Plyushchenko’s phrase: “ If she wants to be fifth, seventh, it's her choice. ” Really, the sportswoman cannot "fire a shot"? It is unlikely that athletes go on the ice when they are not fighting for medals?

- I’ll tell you from my own experience - in recent years I didn’t go out in order to fight for high places. I just enjoyed what I was doing. I think that Zhenya first of all skates for herself and for those who love her skating. If she gets high from this, then she needs to do it, she considers it necessary.

-- Do the sensations differ from those before? Is it getting easier?

- At that moment you start to love the competition, you have fun. You're not that loaded with thoughts, less burdened with responsibility. You go out, roughly speaking, like on a show. Of course, there is excitement, nowhere without it, but it becomes more calm. For example, I did not have complex elements in recent years, I was naturally uncompetitive. But at my level I skated perfectly - showed clean and good skating runs. But unfortunately, the technical score was not enough to occupy higher places.

-- Now skaters finish their careers earlier and earlier. How do you feel about this?

- Of course, not very good. I want talented athletes to continue skating, make us happy and defend the honour of the country.
-----
From: https://www.sportsdaily.ru/news/ale...zhit-kareru-ona-znaet-chto-dlya-etogo-nuzhno?

brakes

On the Ice
While Russian fs drama is certainly a thing to live for, "Sports.ru" comment section is the other one. :rofl:

Было бы эпично, если бы Этери проломила голову курьеру, принесшему цветы от Женечки)

Fluture

Record Breaker
Why not frontload? 3f-3t and 3s-3lo in the first half, then a three jump combo in the second, let's say 3lo-2t-2t

I compare to it to 2016-17 Medvedeva and i liked the technique back then more. Especially on jumps like 3lo, back then it was beautiful, smooth and seamless with transitions in and out. They got rid of all the transitions now.

While other jumps are perhaps better now like her new 3flip entry is more difficult now.

Because it hurts her BV. And in times when everything‘s about BV, she can‘t afford to lose more points on that. Now she‘s doing two of her three combos in the second half and gets the bonus. With your layout she‘d only get bonus on the 2T+2T combo.

I think 3Lo was one of the few jumps where her technique didn‘t change too much? And the transitions stayed pretty much the same too. The only program where she had a relatively easy transition out of it was her Tango. But tbh, that program was empty in general because she was reworking her technique and the stability just wasn‘t there yet. All her other programs have transitions for the 3Lo (with Memoirs she’s directly entering a spin afterwards which isn‘t a transition per se but still difficult) Tosca for example had a nice transitions for the loop, quite similar to what she did before. I do see what you mean, though, I quite liked what she did with the 3Lo in the FS with Eteri. The loop in her 2016-17 FS is one of my favorite jumps ever, actually. I can see your point there. But it‘s also not like they changed the transition all too much, it was basically the same for three seasons.

Other than that, her transitions in the FS are quite difficult, actually. The flip, yes, they changed the entry altogether (for the better imo) and her transitions into and out of the 3S+3Lo are hard too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/yang_bo_dudnik/status/1171250263241318401

Orlov

Medalist
While Russian fs drama is one thing to live for, "Sports.ru" comment section is the other one. :rofl:

I think we can live happily here without Zhulin's insinuations about Medvedeva's leaving Eteri, made during his interview with Elena Rodina (sic!). And stupid comments on sports.ru about these insinuations.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Sof'ya Akat'yeva hasn't lost her triksel, see here, from today's warmups: https://vk.com/video437165477_456239277 , that is a confident jump!

She mentioned in her post-nationals interview that she was just working on the consistency of it to put it back in, so maybe she'll try it in the free program depending on what happens with the quads! I'm certainly glad she hasn't lost it, its such a beautiful jump! I can't wait for the day until we see a perfect Amelie with quads and triple axels. Its already such a beautiful program with great skating skills, if she can land all of the jumps it will really be the full package. She's the type of skater that I could definitely see landing all of the types of quads. She already has 3A and 4T, so I could definitely see her getting the 4S, and her triple lutz, flip and loop are super solid with room at the end, so I could see her adding a rotation, especially if she gains a little more height in her jumps as her legs grow stronger.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
She mentioned in her post-nationals interview that she was just working on the consistency of it to put it back in, so maybe she'll try it in the free program depending on what happens with the quads! I'm certainly glad she hasn't lost it, its such a beautiful jump! I can't wait for the day until we see a perfect Amelie with quads and triple axels. Its already such a beautiful program with great skating skills, if she can land all of the jumps it will really be the full package. She's the type of skater that I could definitely see landing all of the types of quads. She already has 3A and 4T, so I could definitely see her getting the 4S, and her triple lutz, flip and loop are super solid with room at the end, so I could see her adding a rotation, especially if she gains a little more height in her jumps as her legs grow stronger.

And Sof'ya Akat'yeva being too young for next season's JGP might be a blessing in disguise, as she can steadily work on perfecting her skills, improving her power, without having to race for tech content to be able to compete with her 2006 born rink mates.

No doubt, Sof'ya Samodelkina is working on quads, but she is more solidly built, packed with muscle, which even might be a disadvantage compared to the lean and slender Akat'yeva.

Then there is Sof'ya Muravyova, also in contention for next season's JGP, Samodelkina's BFF. Hopefully her training situation will be fully resolved once competition season is over.

Both groups of Davydov and Tutberidze seem to be fully booked now.

brakes

On the Ice
I think we can live happily here without Zhulin's insinuations about Medvedeva's leaving Eteri, made during his interview with Elena Rodina (sic!). And stupid comments on sports.ru about these insinuations.
Isn't Zhulin Evgenia's and Eteri's friend? He also mentioned they're his favourite skater and coach.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Sof'ya Akat'yeva hasn't lost her triksel, see here, from today's warmups: https://vk.com/video437165477_456239277 , that is a confident jump!

It was very unexpected to see, she did 3 or 4 2A at the warm-up, then this 3A was so easy and clean, then again 2 or 3 2A. I thought that for some reason they simply did not want to exploit 3A in competition at present. Sonya is growing and they protect her?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It was very unexpected to see, she did 3 or 4 2A at the warm-up, then this 3A was so easy and clean, then again 2 or 3 2A. I thought that for some reason they simply did not want to exploit 3A in competition at present. Sonya is growing and they protect her?

Quite possible. There is no need to rush the development of Sof'ya Akat'yeva. And no matter how confident she looks jumping triksels and quads, these are still dangerous skills, only for those with excellent body and mind. Read conditioning, core strength and free from nagging pain in their backs and joints.

If Adeliya Petrosyan gets qualified for JPG stages, together with perhaps Sof'ya Muravyova, #TeamTutberidzeForProgress is fully occupied with both their senior and junior charges.

I have nothing but respect for Sof'ya Muravyova who appears to train, warmup and compete all by herself when away from her rink. She seems unphased, but her alone in the K&C cheering herself up makes me sad, so much, I have no respect for the responsible adults that don't want to be seen around her in public view.

Orlov

Medalist
Also i'd take that Querer SP any day over the previous SP where she was acting like a weak minded person trying to escape from jail. What an appropriate theme for a 13 years old girl

I am so tired of these stereotypical manipulation, this "appropriate theme for a 13 years old girl". What makes you think you can determine what's "appropriate" and what's not?

Nastya is a passionate person who has always "been a little on her own wave" as we say in Russia. Gleichenhaus found the perfect music, made sophisticated wonderful program, to express this inner hidden passion, to emphasize this Nastay's "own wave".

If you think that this, as we say - "silent horror", this program in which Plushenko decided to express the passion of Nastya in the only way that he knows - wagging his hips, this program in which Nastya has a terrible make-up, this programs in which she looks absolutely unnatural is "take that any days over the previous SP", well... in is the case, the discussion is over due to the complete mismatch of our aesthetic bases.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I know people find it annoying that the Russian ladies wear gloves as a part of their costumes, but I don’t mind it. I think they are protecting their hands for when they might (and usually do) grab their skate blades during a performance. And the last thing they need is sliced-up hands, right?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I am so tired of these stereotypical manipulation, this "appropriate theme for a 13 years old girl". What makes you think you can determine what's "appropriate" and what's not?

Nastya is a passionate person who has always "been a little on her own wave" as we say in Russia. Gleichenhaus found the perfect music, made sophisticated wonderful program, to express this inner hidden passion, to emphasize this Nastay's "own wave".

Indeed, 2017/18 was Anastasiya's best season, fully in command over her powerful skating skills, bouts of aggressive energy channelled in expressive, sometimes even scary choreography, she has never skated better since.

Here is her free program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvbrE7IG7nw , not to be missed either.

Had she not left Khrustalniy, she would have been in a completely different league now. Master over triksels and quads, right up there with the other A-girls.

However, let tomorrow prove Anastasiya is back on track in #TeamPanova. The only way to prove herself is to compete at this level of intensity and excellence again.

Orlov

Medalist
I know people find it annoying that the Russian ladies wear gloves as a part of their costumes, but I don’t mind it. I think they are protecting their hands for when they might (and usually do) grab their skate blades during a performance. And the last thing they need is sliced-up hands, right?

Don't like gloves? Hmm... strange. No, of course, people are free creatures, they have the right not to like whatever they want - gloves, salt, sky, water in the aquarium. But usually people keep their strange, bizarre antipathies to themselves. Why are we discussing this here? Because these "people" for some strange reason think that only Russian ladies wear gloves? Maybe these "people" just will make a separate thread "Why I don't like women's gloves"? I think it will be more convenient for everyone.