2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1057 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
This is also what I thought. Didn’t Anna Shcherbakova compete at the Elder age final when she was coming back from her injury two seasons ago? I think that this competition is mainly for girls who want to turn junior or are novices.

She did, and Anna Tarusina won that year. So I think it's important in determining who will get the remaining JGP spots if it's not obvious, but I don't really know too much.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
You knew Alina could win Olympic gold. How could it be a shock? Your wife obviously wanted Zhenya to win. Both were great in my opinion. Like EG said Both Deserve the gold medal.

I did not believe it could happen. At the Europeans Zhenya was fresh from injury and made a mistake in a short program. I (among others) did not think that cristal clean Medvedeva would lose. A year before that there was a thread here at GS: "Can anyone beat clean Medvedeva?". And the predominant answer was: "No".

Scott512

Record Breaker
I did not believe it could happen. At the Europeans Zhenya was fresh from injury and made a mistake in a short program. I (among others) did not think that cristal clean Medvedeva would lose. A year before that there was a thread here at GS: "Can anyone beat clean Medvedeva?". And the predominant answer was: "No".
Things happened Sam. Zhenya got injured and recovered and at the same time Alina was improving by leaps and bounds. This is sports and this is is life.

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice

I remember after 2018 Europeans at the very latest--maybe even before Europeans--the consensus seemed to be that Medvedeva would likely win the PyeongChang SP and Zagitova would win the FS. Once Zagitova was first after the SP--which traditionally she struggled with--it was pretty clear who would come out as the gold medalist. Zagitova hardly fell doing her Don Quixote.

brakes

On the Ice
I think Sinitsyna finished in the top 6 at Senior Nationals so she should be fine in terms of funding.

These Elder Age Nationals and co. have always confused me a bit. I was under the impression they were only for pre-juniors, so novices and generally young skaters. But if someone had an explanation, I‘d be grateful. :scratch2:
You're right, Sinitsyna was 4th and Frolova 6th at senior nats, so they probably got funding already. :thumbsup:

According to the document Edwin provided, Elder Age Nats are for the single skaters born 2003-2007.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Moscow's Elder Age Championships, girls, SP (top 6 advance to Elder Age Nationals):

1. Elizaveta Berestovskaya 66.98
2. Adelya Petrosyan 66.73
3. Sofia Vazhnova 65.80
4. Veronika Zhilina 65.63 (wonky combo landing)
5. Sofia Akatieva 65.18 (hand down on 3A combo)
6. Maria Zakharova 63.63
7. Sofia Muravieva 63.34
8. Viktoria Sinyavina 58.81
31 participants, 24 advanced to LP.

So no Samodelkina? I know someone else said she might get a bye, but is that something that has happened before?

I guess it doesn't matter too much if she doesn't go - she already has funding from her 4th place at JNats and she's obviously going to be invited to test skates/get a JGP. After all, she has competed like 3 times in the last what, four weeks? The schedule for these novices is insane.

On another note, I'm happy to see Akatieva attempt her 3A again, even if it wasn't the best landing. Hopefully she'll get it down by the next two national comps.

Amei

Record Breaker
Are we worried about Rika Kihira's 156 points at Challenge Cup? :think:

I think it should be cause for concern for Trusova - she's been the messiest of the Kostornaia/Shcherbakova/Trusova trio all season and the case can be made that she is getting messier not cleaner - she won against Rika at GPF because they were both messy and her jumps have a higher base value. If Rika's clean with 3 triple axels, 4S, and her lutz jumps she can certainly take down Trusova with the way Trusova has been skating. Plus - Rika has the benefit of being the top Japanese lady (politicking points) and the only realistic threat right now to not only a Russian sweep of Worlds but a Russian sweep of every gold medal on the top circuit of skating, excluding 4ccs which they are not eligible to go to, plus sweeping 3 major international podiums. However with saying all of that we have to remember - Rika isn't the most consistent of skaters and doesn't have the multiple quads (based on what we've seen) that Trusova does to pad her score to be able to secure the podium with mistakes on jumps.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I think it should be cause for concern for Trusova - she's been the messiest of the Kostornaia/Shcherbakova/Trusova trio all season and the case can be made that she is getting messier not cleaner - she won against Rika at GPF because they were both messy and her jumps have a higher base value. If Rika's clean with 3 triple axels, 4S, and her lutz jumps she can certainly take down Trusova with the way Trusova has been skating. Plus - Rika has the benefit of being the top Japanese lady (politicking points) and the only realistic threat right now to not only a Russian sweep of Worlds but a Russian sweep of every gold medal on the top circuit of skating, excluding 4ccs which they are not eligible to go to, plus sweeping 3 major international podiums. However with saying all of that we have to remember - Rika isn't the most consistent of skaters and doesn't have the multiple quads (based on what we've seen) that Trusova does to pad her score to be able to secure the podium with mistakes on jumps.

This topic makes little sense. Understood pretty well that being messy or totally messy ruins any chances for podium. When and if major competitors are clean.
Say if Trusova lands zero quads and no trixel, her overall result may be 10th or 20th.
But all the same correct for others exactly. No chance the Board will give all 10 PCS for messy jumps.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I know this probably has been asked before. Will Sofia Akatieva be age eligible for JGP in the 2020-2021 season, or she just missed the cut-off date?

brakes

On the Ice

Scott512

Record Breaker
Does anybody know why Tarakanova withdrew from LP?

As it turned out Nastya should have skipped this event and called it a season. You have to commend her for trying even if she wasn't a hundred percent but it may have been a risky move. She could have risked further injury. more importantly the Federation will have noticed this and might hold pulling out like that against her. I don't know how it Nastya T comes back from this. But she will try that's for sure.

brakes

On the Ice
Moscow's Elder Age Championships, girls.

LP:
1. Sofia Akatieva 143.75 (4T2T, 4T, 3A fall)
2. Adelya Petrosyan 133.16
3. Maria Zakharova 128.29
4. Elizaveta Berestovskaya 126.44 (4T)
5. Sofia Vazhnova 122.90
6. Sofia Muravieva 122.09
7. Veronika Zhilina 117.39 (4T fall)
8. Anastasia Zinina 117.22
http://ffkm.ru/images/files/019-20/2020-02-24_PMStV/online/SEG008.HTM

Overall:
1. Sofia Akatieva 208.93
2. Adelya Petrosyan 199.89
3. Elizaveta Berestovskaya 193.42
4. Maria Zakharova 191.92
5. Sofia Vazhnova 188.70
6. Sofia Muravieva 185.43
7. Veronika Zhilina 183.02
8. Yana Livyentseva 173.18
http://ffkm.ru/images/files/019-20/2020-02-24_PMStV/online/CAT001RS.HTM

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
So pleased with lone warrior Sof'ya Muravyova making the Russian Cup finals.

Hopefully that event will be the last time we'll see her all by herself in the rink, seemingly abandoned and untouchable. And next season she will be surrounded by friends and appreciated at her new rink again, whichever that may be.

brakes

On the Ice
I liked Vazhnova, very nice performer. Akatieva's quads are so effortless, like she didn't even care. It really weird to watch - she executes them like some causal jumps, lol. :rolleye:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I liked Vazhnova, very nice performer. Akatieva's quads are so effortless, like she didn't even care. It really weird to watch - she executes them like some causal jumps, lol. :rolleye:

That's the hallmark of true mastery, making the most difficult jumps look effortless :)

And she seems to be working hard on stabilising her triksel.