2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 107 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
I seriously doubt puberty is about to "hit" Stanislava. She's 18, soon 19.

But Stasya did not start figure skating until 7 or 8 years old While most of the Russinas start at 3 or 4. Then it makes sense that she's a late bloomer in her career. :) ;)

Stanislava is an aberration rather than the rule. She is getting better at age 18 and will probably peak around 20 or 21 years old versus most of the great young Russian girls peaking at 15 16 and 17. And this way I wish more girls were like Stasya and not retiring at 17 18 19 and 20 years old like several have the last couple of years.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I believe it’s the loop and flying sit spin this season

I wish they didn't have these required elements, especially for the spin. There's already only two flying spins that people do, and now we have to see flying sit spins in every single routine, which is sad because some of the girls (ahem Kamila) have beautiful flying camels that add to the routine.

SkySkater

On the Ice
I think Anastasia Tarakanova would be a brilliant Sophie from Howl’s moving castle, and the theme song is really beautiful.
https://youtu.be/UwxatzcYf9Q
What do you think? I heard she was asking for SP music ideas (1 month ago [emoji23])

I love this suggestion for Nastya as it would challenge her to improve and continue to refine herself as a skater whilst also having a sense of the power and drama that Nastya's skating already conveys especially the bit at 3:11 which could work really well for a step sequence. What a good pick for her-- I would love her personally to skate to this because it's beautiful and I think as it has the same name it could be a really charming senior debut for her free.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I love this suggestion for Nastya as it would challenge her to improve and continue to refine herself as a skater whilst also having a sense of the power and drama that Nastya's skating already conveys especially the bit at 3:11 which could work really well for a step sequence. What a good pick for her-- I would love her personally to skate to this because it's beautiful and I think as it has the same name it could be a really charming senior debut for her free.

I was thinking this too! It's definitely not her usual style but its a beautiful song that could help her grow with Panova's help.

SkySkater

On the Ice
I was thinking this too! It's definitely not her usual style but its a beautiful song that could help her grow with Panova's help.

Same--I'm cautiously optimistic for this season based off the focus that Panova has on her skaters and the trajectory Nastya herself was on with Panova as well as how Panova has polished Kanysheva, Sinistyna and Kostyuk. The main thing I'm hoping for tho is that Raf's wife who did Kanysheva's free will do Nastya and Sinitsyna's programs because in my opinion Kanysheva's free was one of the better programs of the last season due to its originality and charm so I'd love it if she would do the choreo again but adapt it to for these two as my main problem with Panova's choreography is that it is at times slightly generic and I'm worried with 4 girls (and Anna Kuzmenko) aiming for juniors internationally this could become a problem which I'd hate as the Panova school as a whole is one of my favourites.

moriel

Record Breaker
Tuktamysheva & Samodurova Interview

link: http://sport.business-gazeta.ru/art...ddmEh-_K9Gz5b5YiJwHBgNlIz92L0l_Dj9U3RnnrI2DBU
translation: me

T - Tuktamysheva
S - Samodurova

The interview is written as article with quotes, I'm translating what skaters say only and giving some context.

On competition and friendship:
T: There are many examples where friendship ended because of competition, not only in sports. But actually the healthy rivalry is what motivates us to achieve results. In our sport, one does it alone, but we are still one team. We represent one school of figure skating and skate with one coach.
S: We have a very friendly group. We all support each other, and feel this support. It helps a lot.

On times when Samodurova joined the team:
S: In the beginning, I was even afraid to get close to her. [about Tuktamyseva]
T: We get new athletes in the group periodically. It is, we can say, the usual way. You not always pay attention to the new guys on the ice. Also we travel a lot: work on programs, camps, competitions. Maybe Sonya joined in a moment I was away.
S: We have two categories of athletes - juniors and elite athletes. Before, I skated with the little ones. Now me and Liza are in the elite group, so there is no separation of ice between us.

On music:
S: Liza infected me with rap. When I started to hang out with her, I also started listening to it.

On answering questions in english:
S: I´ve read on the internet, there was a gossip that some athletes cannot communicate in english, that there is a language barrier for russians. So i decided to show thats not my case. Why not?"

on hanging out:
S: We also love shopping together
(she says they sometimes compete: who picks the best costume in a given time)
S: Me and Liza, we laugh a lot, we got our own jokes. We support each other and don't go training without some good mood.
T: We also like to just chat. Sometimes those are typical girl talks: about cosmetics, fashion, some interesting events.

on Mishin:
S: In training, he tells little girls: "put your chest forward! even if you don't have it".

on relationship between them:
S: Liza is almost an elder sister to me.
T: I try to give her professional advice. Obviously, we talk the most about what we both do, figure skating. For now, this takes the biggest part of our lives, so we always have something to discuss. Its a pleasure when you reach such a level that your advice may be useful to other people.

liza also helps sonya with off-ice real life stuff
T: If Sonya has some difficulties or problems, and she asks me, I always try to help.

on how to remain friends:
T: The secret is simple, there is no secret! Everything depends of the people and their qualities. I think that its all about that. You must be able to be happy for other people.
S: We simply don't think about it. Both me and her, we don't keep stuck on trying to keep our friendship at any cost. You simply got to interact normally, and everything will work out. So we interact normally.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
So, the junior Russians who will most likely make a splash on the JGP this year will be:

Kamila Valieva
Victoria Vasilieva
Alena Kanysheva
Anastasia Tarakanova
Ksenia Sinitsyna

Am I missing anyone? This list is too short.

karina17

Final Flight
So, the junior Russians who will most likely make a splash on the JGP this year will be:

Kamila Valieva
Victoria Vasilieva
Alena Kanysheva
Anastasia Tarakanova
Ksenia Sinitsyna

Am I missing anyone? This list is too short.

Maya Khromykh and Daria Usacheva, maybe?

SkateSkates

Medalist
Yes, them as well. Will Anastasia Shabotova and Victoria Safonova be major players too?

The 2 of them plus Anna Frolova have a chance for assignments. Maria Smirnova may also have a chance for an assignment as well depending on test skates. Not sure if anyone else is in the running for assignments at this point. Perhaps Eva Kobzar or Nicole Vaitkus for SPB representation. I believe both are eligible

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
For me, at their current state, girls who will get JGPs are:

2: Valieva, Kanysheva, Tarakanova, Sinitsyna, Vasilieva
2?: Khromykh, Usacheva
If any of the previously mentioned do not get a silver then perhaps Frolova, Safonova, or Shabotova

moriel

Record Breaker
For me, at their current state, girls who will get JGPs are:

2: Valieva, Kanysheva, Tarakanova, Sinitsyna, Vasilieva
2?: Khromykh, Usacheva
If any of the previously mentioned do not get a silver then perhaps Frolova, Safonova, or Shabotova

Pretty sure that rusfed will do it again - give all girls 1 JGP, and then give a second to whoever has a chance to make the final.
Anything can happen, really. For instance, Vasilieva is favored by rusfed, yes, but she can totally flop internationally, and so on.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Why is Victoria Safonova not a part of the conversation ? Is she not good enough yet?

I think she'll definitely be part of the conversation and go to test skates, but there are also a lot of girls "ahead" of her in that they have had impressive international and national results. Sinitsyna, Kanysheva, Tarakanova, and Vasilieva have all had varying degrees of success internationally already along with some national success as well. Valieva has a quad and has been kind of a rising star even without the quad and is younger and elder age champion. Usacheva and Kromykh were both on the elder age podium and the junior RCF podium. Thats already 7 girls who are in a good position to get JGPs. If they all end up getting two, that leaves one spot to be contended for at test skates (assuming the other 7 don't bomb test skates or their first JGP or something although even so they still might end up getting a chance). I guess the girls who will be contending are Safanova, Shabatova, and Frolova, although there are probably other girls in the mix I am forgetting who will be at test skates. They also might only give 6 girls 2 and let 3 girls go once (of course it all depends on how they do on their first assignment). Either way, she'll be in the conversation but not one of the "frontrunners" so to speak.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Something occurred to me just know, thinking about Polina. Aren‘t the Winter Youth Olympics this season? Polina won in 2016, so it should be 2020. If so, what do you think, who will Russia send? How old do you have to be to compete in the Youth Olympics as a figure skater? Junior age? Or older?

I would have loved a team of the 3A - but they‘re going to be senior this year. Maybe they‘ll do it anyway, Olympics are a big deal, even if it‘s “only“ Youth Olympics.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Something occurred to me just know, thinking about Polina. Aren‘t the Winter Youth Olympics this season? Polina won in 2016, so it should be 2020. If so, what do you think, who will Russia send? How old do you have to be to compete in the Youth Olympics as a figure skater? Junior age? Or older?

I would have loved a team of the 3A - but they‘re going to be senior this year. Maybe they‘ll do it anyway, Olympics are a big deal, even if it‘s “only“ Youth Olympics.

Based on this website https://www.lausanne2020.sport/en/about/
It says the Youth Olympic Games are for athletes age 15-18, but they don’t have the exact DOB range so it’s hard to know who will or won’t be eligible. I would assume skaters like Tarakanova, Sinitsyna and Vasilieva would be eligible in addition to the 3A. Not sure about Kanysheva - depends on if being born in the year 2005 is enough. If one or 2 of the 3A have a strong fall season but don’t make the European team, I could see Rus Fed potentially sending them to virtually ensure gold. It seems like upcoming Juniors (ie Valieva) are too young to participate.