2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1103 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Is the coronavirus bad in Russia? Are they still playing hockey and basketball unlike other countries who have stopped?

No, everything is suspended. Next week everything in Moscow but food stores will be closed. They talk about the curfew in Moscow and its complete isolation. This is not confirmed - may be fake news. But it will be a big problem to those who decided to leave Moscow for suburbs. We intend to go to a country house 10 km from Moscow tomorrow. I hope that if they do close the city they will at least give us 24 hours to come back.

ruga

Final Flight
Trusova evacuated from Sharm-Al-Sheikh (Egypt) and put in quarantine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teZtF_xrzFo ?

Not so smart move from her parents, leaving for the abroad, ignoring warnings ...

Now the whole family needs to self isolate.

I wonder when they left for Egypt. Almost two weeks ago countries started closing borders and many flights had been cancelled, so in addition to health risks, difficulties to return home could have arisen. Pretty irresponsible of the parents to take their children on holiday in such difficult time IMO.

brakes

On the Ice
If I sincerely commented on Trusovas family spending vacations in Egypt in the middle of global pandemic, I would be banned. :gaah::hslap:

Scott512

Record Breaker
If you want to boast up Rika Kihira by draging down the 3As, you should go to Japanese ladies thread or her fanfest, you can assume her success based on your "body" theory as much as you want there, even beyond the truth that she has never accomplished single success yet in the battles with the 3As.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think his point was that he would appear that he will hurt the Russian girls a lot more than Rika and the Japanese girls. That seems to be accurate and true. Although I don't think Anna ballerina will be hit by puberty. Hoping for the best for Aliona and puberty because quite frankly she's one of the most beautiful figure skaters I've ever seen and I wanted to stay that way.

Trusova evacuated from Sharm-Al-Sheikh (Egypt) and put in quarantine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teZtF_xrzFo ?
https://www.facebook.com/336660189772268/photos/a.431394050298881/2471905936247672/

Not so smart move from her parents, leaving for the abroad, ignoring warnings ...

That was really stupid. You would think her parents or coaches would advise against that. But people who are isolated and live in their own bubble don't figure things out like the rest of the world. That said I can't blame Sasha or her little brothers. I have to blame her parents and coaches.

No, everything is suspended. Next week everything in Moscow but food stores will be closed. They talk about the curfew in Moscow and its complete isolation. This is not confirmed - may be fake news. But it will be a big problem to those who decided to leave Moscow for suburbs. We intend to go to a country house 10 km from Moscow tomorrow. I hope that if they do close the city they will at least give us 24 hours to come back.

Wow I'm sorry it's bad there too. I'm sad for you Sam. Be safe.

By the way have the Beijing Winter Olympics and 2022 been canceled yet? ;) It may not be too late for the ioc to move them to another city.

Scott512

Record Breaker
If you want to boast up Rika Kihira by draging down the 3As, you should go to Japanese ladies thread or her fanfest, you can assume her success based on your "body" theory as much as you want there, even beyond the truth that she has never accomplished single success yet in the battles with the 3As.

https://www.facebook.com/336660189772268/photos/a.431394050298881/2471905936247672/

If I sincerely commented on Trusovas family spending vacations in Egypt in the middle of global pandemic, I would be banned. :gaah::hslap:

Just speak your mind brakes just speak your mind. I think it was so foolish of Sasha's parents and coaches to allow her to go to Egypt in the biggest pandemic since the Spanish Flu of 1917. It's unfathomable. You can also say shame on the adults in her life . They should know better.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
I think it was so foolish of Sasha's parents and coaches to allow her to go to Egypt

Her coaches have nothing to do with their trip - contrary to the haters' view, Khrustal'nyi is not a child-labour camp, and the coaches have no control/power over the lives of their skaters outside of the rink. Eteri has even complained once during a press conference after WC'18 that Sasha's parents took her for a vacation ruining her training regime.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Her coaches have nothing to do with their trip - contrary to the haters' view, Khrustal'nyi is not a child-labour camp, and the coaches have no control/power over the lives of their skaters outside of the rink. Eteri has even complained once during a press conference after WC'18 that Sasha's parents took her for a vacation ruining her training regime.

Well then they need to start listening to their coaches for more than just stuff at the rink. Because this was a bewildering decision of Sasha's parents to do this when covid 19 is spreading like wildfire worldwide. We all know figure skaters as hard as they work as disciplined as they are after their Seasons want to go on vacation. But this is a different kind of off-season a very dangerous off-season to travel.

brakes

On the Ice
Just speak your mind brakes just speak your mind. I think it was so foolish of Sasha's parents and coaches to allow her to go to Egypt in the biggest pandemic since the Spanish Flu of 1917. It's unfathomable. You can also say shame on the adults in her life . They should know better.
I despise stupidity and ignorance too much to speak about them in civilized way on public forum.

I'll just sketch out initial situation: your child is an unique, once-in-generation athlete revolutionizing the sport. You know and surely being told ad nauseam how intensively trained organisms like hers are sensitive to germs and diseases: you are under constant sporting medical care, you use masks travelling to competitions, restrict pre-start contacts with press, fans, etc..
Then the worst pandemic of the century arrives, your training group is forced to take a break, your rink is being closed, your city and country is being closed and you... :hopelessness:

Scott512

Record Breaker

I despise stupidity and ignorance too much to speak about them in civilized way on public forum.

I'll just sketch out initial situation: your child is an unique, once-in-generation athlete revolutionizing the sport. You know and surely being told ad nauseam how intensively trained organisms like hers are sensitive to germs and diseases: you are under constant sporting medical care, you use masks travelling to competitions, restrict pre-start contacts with press, fans, etc..
Then the worst pandemic of the century arrives, your training group is forced to take a break, your rink is being closed, your city and country is being closed and you... :hopelessness:

Very well said and you made total sense. Sasha is perhaps the most unique and spectacular figure skater ladies figure skating has ever seen. Whoever runs Russian sports or even just Russian figure skating should have implored their athletes publicly and privately not to travel at this time.

You know and surely being told ad nauseam how intensively trained organisms like hers are sensitive to germs and diseases...

I wonder if this part is really true, though. Are intensively trained athletes more susceptible to disease than ordinary folks?

brakes

On the Ice
I wonder if this part is really true, though. Are intensively trained athletes more susceptible to disease than ordinary folks?
I didn't write they're more susceptible, I wrote they're sensitive. Even if it means just lowering your performance level, my point that athletes' parents and guardians are better informed and aware of that negative influence than ordinary people stands.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Guliakova really doesn't have much of a shot at getting spots though, I'm confused why everyone says so when she's not on either of the top 24 lists, and isn't even on the SB list at all. Being the reserve on the national team doesn't really mean much. Last year neither Sakhanovich and Sotskova weren't on the national team at all, but both were given spots over Gubanova who was on the reserve team and was top 24 on the SB list. The only way that it would even be possible for Guliakova to get a spot would be the host spot, but I don't see why RusFed would give that to her. They probably would give Sofia and Viktoria two spots each. If Alina doesn't return, I think the spots would go to either Tarakanova (25 on the SB list and on this years junior team although idk if she will be next year) or Konstantinova (somewhere below but near the top 24 on WS list and has had pull with RusFed in the past). Or one to each of them. Gubanova also doesn't really have a shot (sadly) because she doesn't have an international score for the SB list (why they didn't send her to a Challenger is still a mystery to me) and if she is on the WS list it is very low.

First of all, Guliakova is with Mishin. She has a triple axel. Yes Gubanova and Tarusina were skipped over but in those years there was more depth in the top ranks, this year Sotskova and Sakhanovich's spots are opening up, as are Konstantinova's, one of Samodurova's, and most likely Zagitova's spots as well. Last year Trusova, Shcherbakova, and Kostornaia were all coming up and in need of two spots, and this year Sinitsyna is the only new senior. So Guliakova can get the host spot, and it gives Samodurova a good chance of retianing two spots as well, which wouldn't have happened in previous years (see Sotskova)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
First of all, Guliakova is with Mishin. She has a triple axel. Yes Gubanova and Tarusina were skipped over but in those years there was more depth in the top ranks, this year Sotskova and Sakhanovich's spots are opening up, as are Konstantinova's, one of Samodurova's, and most likely Zagitova's spots as well. Last year Trusova, Shcherbakova, and Kostornaia were all coming up and in need of two spots, and this year Sinitsyna is the only new senior. So Guliakova can get the host spot, and it gives Samodurova a good chance of retianing two spots as well, which wouldn't have happened in previous years (see Sotskova)

Samodurova should keep her 2 for another season (basically the last call), her SB allows it.

While Konstantinova (2), Sotskova (1) and Sakhanovich (1) spots should be assigned to Sinitsyna, and either you give one for Guliakova and one for Gubanova or 2 for one of them. (based on national results Gulyakova, international Gubanova was better) Yes i know Gulyakova and Gubanova need challengers for the second GP, but they can get it with the pre-season challengers.

That's what i'd do.

What i think RusFed might do instead, is to keep Sinitsyna another season in Juniors as they did with Tarakanova before her (and they were about to do the same with Gubanova 2 seasons ago). Personally i don't see the point of this, besides starting to get used to the idea that age limit might be raised in the near future as we've started to hear proposals towards that direction, so skater will have to stay on top of their shape at 17-18 too, not just at 15.

All of this speculation could be pointless if COVID-19 will continue to be an issue even in September which could lead to more cancelled events: that will always be a risk until we find the vaccine.

SkateSkates

Medalist
If Zagitova doesn’t come back in time for the GP then I see even less of a reason to hold Sinitsyna back in juniors. She has a high enough SB for 2 assignments and a better chance of medaling than anyone else besides the top 6 (Aliona, Sasha, Anna, Liza, Zhenya, Alina if she returns). If they hold her back there’s a chance the spots go to non-Russian skaters. I think the spots will end up like this:
Aliona 2
Anna 2
Sasha 2
Liza 2
Zhenya 2
Alina 2
Ksenia 2
Sofia 2
Vasilieva 1
Gulyakova 1 (host spot)

Similar to last year, I think the fed will do their best to separate Aliona, Anna and Sasha. We might not end up with the same head to heads like this past season, but it makes the most sense to try to spread out the top 6 as much as possible.

beachmouse

On the Ice

I realize a lot of parents have jobs that limit when in the course of a year they can take a vacation, but I'm kind of surprised that the family of a national-international level athlete doesn't work carefully with their coach to figure out optimal timing for the athlete so the holiday serves as correct mental and physical rest time rather than interrupting a harder planned training block. (Egypt right after WCs seems like a better original plan for that kind of thing, but should have been cancelled when Worlds was, even if her parents are out the parts of the trip booked as non-refundable)

Scott512

Record Breaker
I realize a lot of parents have jobs that limit when in the course of a year they can take a vacation, but I'm kind of surprised that the family of a national-international level athlete doesn't work carefully with their coach to figure out optimal timing for the athlete so the holiday serves as correct mental and physical rest time rather than interrupting a harder planned training block. (Egypt right after WCs seems like a better original plan for that kind of thing, but should have been cancelled when Worlds was, even if her parents are out the parts of the trip booked as non-refundable)

You make a very valid and pertinent point about how the parents in the coaches should work closer together even if it's something not related to on ice performance. In some ways with this Russia seems to be behind the times.

On a side note while Sasha is quarantined she should spend some time making her own hand sanitizer. I did it yesterday and it smells stronger than the stuff you buy in the stores. Another problem in the world is no hand sanitizers and the ones that are old sold online are 10 times more expensive than they are in the stores like you wouldn't believe. So think out of the box and make your own. Sorry I'm not paying $40 for an 8 oz bottle of purell hand sanitizer. Amazon and eBay are price gouging people by the thousands. Sickening. Certainly with paper products too.

As for the figure skaters I hope they all stay safe this all season and can have a normal healthy season next season. As frustrated as we are as fans think of how they feel giving their lives to the sport and they couldn't even get to the World championships. So sad for them.

Amei

Record Breaker
Her coaches have nothing to do with their trip - contrary to the haters' view, Khrustal'nyi is not a child-labour camp, and the coaches have no control/power over the lives of their skaters outside of the rink.

Agree with you - coaches can have very little say in athletes vacations, and while it's a dumb thing to do in the sense of possibly getting this virus, it's not like she's grossly affecting her training since her ice rink is closed down. So the only thing she really risks is that if she gets the virus as a result she could possibly affect her lungs as there have been some reports that this virus could be permanently damaging people's lungs.

Eteri has even complained once during a press conference after WC'18 that Sasha's parents took her for a vacation ruining her training regime.

Considering that I wonder if there's been thoughts to a 'contract' that includes blocked out times where athletes can't vacation once they are on the National team or if Sambo could do something on their own

Happy Skates

Final Flight

I don't think there's any reason Sofia would be losing one of her spots. She's on the WS list and I think they would be more likely to just give her 2 than give someone not on either list one. RusFed is most likely to want 9 skaters to get two spots than to spread it around like that, since they'll want maximal chances at more skaters getting to GPF. And yes, skaters like Samodurova or Vasilieva aren't likely to make GPF, but you could've said the same thing about Samodurova in 2018. If you remember, Samodurova only had one spot in early 2018, but was then given the host spot over someone else on the national team. Also, Guliakova has not performed her triple axel in competition in years, so I don't see how one video from practice should help her. I just can't think of a recent time when someone not on the SB list at all and not in the top 24 WS got a GP spot as a Russian Lady. Its not like she placed super high at RN either; 7th place is respectable but not "have to give her a GP" level. RusFed has 9 girls on the top 24 of either of the lists, plus Tarakanova and Konstantinova who are just outside of the top 24 on the SB and WS lists respectively, I just don't see why they would give it to Guliakova when there's no precedent for it.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Well, if Sofia doesn't get her two GP assignments, who would? Frolova, Valieva, Usacheva, and Khromykh are all still junior, and thre is zero reason to hold Sinitsyna back. Tarakanova's SB was just barely outside the top 24, which isn't the case for Sinitsyna. You could argue for Guabnova but I will bet that come the fall, Gubanova will have a challenger at best.

Also, please don't call it the Wuhan flu. First of all, it's not a flue and second of all it has an official name, so coronavirus or COVID-19 is fine, thank you. Assuming Zagitova doesn't come back, the remaining two spots should probably go one to Guliakova and one to either Kostantinova or Gubanova, but idk how the fed will pick between them. They should send a lot of skaters to challengers just in case
Why would you assume Alina doesn't come back? She is through puberty and other great talents are just coming into it. And yes the FED should send a lot of the Russinas to challengers. If there is a season that is.