2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1110 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

milkgirl

On the Ice
Too late? She's 15.
If one takes into account that we now face at least three stars with the Europeans , others still waiting and we don`t know who else will rise with triksels or even quads , then indeed it might be too late. The sport is changing with regard to the age of the competitors.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I (probably foolishly) still have hope for Tarakanova, but I try not to get my hopes up. I'll always remember her 2018/2019 short, and how she flew across the ice to that powerful music. I know its probably too late for her to become a big star, but I just wanted (and still want) her to have a nice moment on the senior GP.

She made the wrong choices, either by her own 13 year old stubborn self or ill adviced by adults, now resulting to her being in this dire position. Despite all her potential, it will probably take a miracle for Anastasiya to be allowed back into the top. There is simply too much competition from the younger skaters also aiming for that top.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I (probably foolishly) still have hope for Tarakanova, but I try not to get my hopes up. I'll always remember her 2018/2019 short, and how she flew across the ice to that powerful music. I know its probably too late for her to become a big star, but I just wanted (and still want) her to have a nice moment on the senior GP.

What Tarakanova needs i think is stability in her training: Panova then one year with Eteri, then moved to Plushenko, then back to Panova, and they all have their different approaches, aspects they care the most. I hope the coaches are willing to stay with her through this journey even if it takes 2-3 years.

This season was not too bad, she almost made the JGPF, that would have been the third consecutive year, there are obviously things to work on.

Gulyakova had her best year in terms of results and scores this season at the age of 17, she may get a GP or two (if they give her the challengers) now, that shows there is a chance for everyone even later on and not necessarily in the first years of juniors.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Oh my gosh don’t say that, it makes me too sad :sad21: The ultimate heartbreak for me is Tarakanova, when she was a novice I loved her speed and power. She was inconsistent, but her short program during her last novice season will always be one of my favorites. Then her programs with Eteri were very fitting for her personality too and I enjoyed them. I even liked Nastya more than I liked Aliona at the time. It is such a shame that she hasn’t been able to have a breakthrough. She seems like such a sweet girl too. This is part of the heartbreak of watching the Russian Ladies though. It’s such a competitive field that there are some real heartbreaking moments. Although there are the happy moments too!!
What you say is true but something is missing with this girl and I can't quite pinpoint it. Is it mental is it physical is it both? Unfortunately injuries ruined her season. At one point Nastya had the best coach ever for young girls. and she has bounced around a bit with different coaches which is not good for consistency and self-belief.

She made the wrong choices, either by her own 13 year old stubborn self or ill adviced by adults, now resulting to her being in this dire position. Despite all her potential, it will probably take a miracle for Anastasiya to be allowed back into the top. There is simply too much competition from the younger skaters also aiming for that top.

When you make the wrong choices in figure skating it can be fatal career-wise. We can only hope for good health for Nastya next season. If there is a next season.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Bright and resourceful Sof'ya Samodelkina makeing the best use of the circumstances, exercising in the yard on inline skates: https://scontent-frt3-1.cdninstagra...C642&oh=2d0284a0c70f52dbd2f8963c53348daa&dl=1
and: https://scontent-frt3-2.cdninstagra...2E60&oh=36679ad545b4decd1365a93bd46d8d18&dl=1

IG Stories only last while the timestamp is valid.

Many skaters are passing elements and exercise challenges around, to keep themselves sharp of mind and occupied while cooped up at home. Sof'ya and those who have a family dacha are lucky to have escaped the contaminated city which is in lockdown.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Too late? She's 15.

Well in Russia if you don't get a GP assignment and make a splash in your first two years, it's hard becuase they won't give you JGP but also more kids are coming up to take the Grand Prix spots. It's easy to be relegated to the Russian cup, and Tarakanova had such lovely wqualities as a skater.

I hope that for next season, I do'nt think they will give her a GP assignment despite the lack of the usual depth, so I hope that maybe she will get a challenger and prove herself there. Her scoring potential is great. She said somewhere that she is planning to continue skating, so that's good.

I mean what is it about JGPF bronze medalists? Anna Pogorilaya, Marin Honda, Anastasia Tarakanova, Alena Kanysheva....hoping it will be different for Daria Usacheva, my personal favorite of the current juniors

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Too late? She's 15.

Well you know how it is in Russia.....

The depth is way too insane. She has to make her statemnet this season, though they are unlikely to send her to JGP or GP despite the lack of the usual depth. I hope ,hope that they will give her at least a challenger and she can prove herself there. She is such a lovely skater, and has high scoring potential but tends to be underscored - I thought she should've been at JGPF instead of Vasilieva this year.

What is it with JGPF bronze medalists? Anna Pogorilaya, Marin Honda, Anastasia TArakanova, Alena Kanysheva....I hope it is different for Daria Usacheva even though Ksenia Sinitsyna may have deserved the medal more

Fluture

Record Breaker
Well you know how it is in Russia.....

The depth is way too insane. She has to make her statemnet this season, though they are unlikely to send her to JGP or GP despite the lack of the usual depth. I hope ,hope that they will give her at least a challenger and she can prove herself there. She is such a lovely skater, and has high scoring potential but tends to be underscored - I thought she should've been at JGPF instead of Vasilieva this year.

What is it with JGPF bronze medalists? Anna Pogorilaya, Marin Honda, Anastasia TArakanova, Alena Kanysheva....I hope it is different for Daria Usacheva even though Ksenia Sinitsyna may have deserved the medal more

I was thinking the same recently about JGPF bronze medalists recently. Almost like a curse... But Pogorilaya - I know she could be a hot mess sometimes but she was actually a really great skater, mature and passionate and she was never boring to watch. And she did have some success at major international senior competitions. Medaling at Worlds and GPF is no joke. Her inconsistency held her back but I wouldn't group her with the others you mentioned. (Kanysheva still breaks my heart the most, tho)

As for Tarakanova. I agree about the underscoring to a certain degree but I also don't think her programs did anything for her this year. Her FS last year was great and the programs she had under Eteri probably were the best she's ever had - in juniors at least (didn't follow her in novices). But this year? Hm. I do think she's a better overall skater than Vasilieva, though. Her basics are to die for - correct edges, good jumps, skating skills, speed (!!), effortless gliding across the ice. What she needs is consistency and programs that play to her strengths so she can hide her relative lack of emotionality in her face when she skates. I feel like a lot of the consistency part will come when she's been with her coach for a longer time. So, yes, things are probably not as great as they could have been and it will be very tough for her to get a GP event but I wouldn't give hope up yet. She's too great a skater to only do the Russian Cup... :sad21::noshake:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Well in Russia if you don't get a GP assignment and make a splash in your first two years, it's hard becuase they won't give you JGP but also more kids are coming up to take the Grand Prix spots. It's easy to be relegated to the Russian cup, and Tarakanova had such lovely wqualities as a skater.

I hope that for next season, I do'nt think they will give her a GP assignment despite the lack of the usual depth, so I hope that maybe she will get a challenger and prove herself there. Her scoring potential is great. She said somewhere that she is planning to continue skating, so that's good.

I mean what is it about JGPF bronze medalists? Anna Pogorilaya, Marin Honda, Anastasia Tarakanova, Alena Kanysheva....hoping it will be different for Daria Usacheva, my personal favorite of the current juniors

Pogorilaya made it to the two world championships (edit: four world championships) and gained one bronze medal. Though her senior career was not long, it's not like she would have disappeared before even advancing to the senior level. This season we saw Sakhanovich in GP so it's not like skaters can't get a chance somehow later. Also Honda could have been seen in GP.

As for Daria, it's funny when I remember the start of the season and the JGP: Usacheva and Khomykh are not that strong, they won't make it to the medals... And now Daria is world junior silver medalist and "the one with artistry" :biggrin:

colormyworld240

Medalist
I was thinking the same recently about JGPF bronze medalists recently. Almost like a curse... But Pogorilaya - I know she could be a hot mess sometimes but she was actually a really great skater, mature and passionate and she was never boring to watch. And she did have some success at major international senior competitions. Medaling at Worlds and GPF is no joke. Her inconsistency held her back but I wouldn't group her with the others you mentioned. (Kanysheva still breaks my heart the most, tho)

As for Tarakanova. I agree about the underscoring to a certain degree but I also don't think her programs did anything for her this year. Her FS last year was great and the programs she had under Eteri probably were the best she's ever had - in juniors at least (didn't follow her in novices). But this year? Hm. I do think she's a better overall skater than Vasilieva, though. Her basics are to die for - correct edges, good jumps, skating skills, speed (!!), effortless gliding across the ice. What she needs is consistency and programs that play to her strengths so she can hide her relative lack of emotionality in her face when she skates. I feel like a lot of the consistency part will come when she's been with her coach for a longer time. So, yes, things are probably not as great as they could have been and it will be very tough for her to get a GP event but I wouldn't give hope up yet. She's too great a skater to only do the Russian Cup... :sad21::noshake:

I think Tarakanova may be more limited artistically than other more versatile skaters. Which might explain the lack of facial expression in her recent performances. I don't think subtly is the way to go with her powerful skating. But in her asylum SP, she had so much expression both in her face and body. She actually has amazing musicality and vulnerability in her performances, with her best being this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE9IXqb4wXs
I think she just needs the correct vehicle and maybe she's not the type of skater that can experiment with many different genres in choreography. I don't think she needs programs to hide the lack of emotionality in her face, but rather she needs programs that will allow her to show them. Her skating skills are insane even when she was just a novice and her lutz is really beautiful as well. However some of her jumps are quite wonky and have always been, like her flip.

There are so many skaters that we can say are too great for only an internal event, and looking at them individually that is certainly true. But the talent pool is too deep. To stand out and advance, skaters have to not only be consistent but always improving. And not just in one area like skating skills or jumps, but in all areas which is why those who are successful aren't only great in jumping, skating, spinning, or artistry alone. And unfortunately for huge talents like Tarakanova, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Tsurskaya, and Honda, they are excellent in a few areas but have regressed in others. So although they were extremely talented when they were younger and are one of the best in some areas, they've been overtaken by more well rounded and improved skaters even if they were less naturally talented earlier on.

Amei

Record Breaker
Too late? She's 15.

She's closer to 16 (birthday is April 14), she's been overtaken already by junior skaters younger than her who are doing more difficult moves; she's never cracked the top 5 in Junior or Senior nationals, so she's never made it to a Jr worlds team. She's a lovely skater but unless she does something remarkable this season (quad and/or triple axel landed in competition cleanly) she's likely going to struggle to get the Fed support to get international assignment. The tragic byproduct of the insane depth of Russian ladies is that there are far more ladies than there are competition spots.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Pogorilaya

Growth killed her. It's more or less accepted common wisdom in Russian FS community that once skater hits 170, her triples stop being stable. Well, obviously nobody thought it was a tragedy back then, apparently if Skater has to retire because she lost triples due to growth is fine but if she retires due to losing quads... that kills FS :biggrin:

On a serious note, Khromykh is interesting case studio in that regard, I hope she will break that 1.70m "curse".

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Growth killed her. It's more or less accepted common wisdom in Russian FS community that once skater hits 170, her triples stop being stable. Well, obviously nobody thought it was a tragedy back then, apparently if Skater has to retire because she lost triples due to growth is fine but if she retires due to losing quads... that kills FS :biggrin:

On a serious note, Khromykh is interesting case studio in that regard, I hope she will break that 1.70m "curse".

Safonova is higher than 170 I think eternally and her triples are quite stable.

Arbitrary

Medalist

Now everyone've lost their quads. There are no confirmed quads for... well, two weeks? Three? Last time it was Trusova who published her FP would be routine and apparently discharged herself. She's going toward fitness...