2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 157 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Grin

Medalist
It’s just that the students that have learned their 2A technique from Eteri have a pretty weak and swingy one - see Zhenya and Anna
You named 2 students, but Amei was speaking about the entire camp (25+ students). Like it or not, Amei's statement was false and it looks like typical anti-Eteri mantra to me.

karina17

Final Flight
I wouldn't even say Anna has a weak axel. She has an off-ice 3A, is actively working on one on ice, and that aside she's got consistent difficult entries into her 2A. She does an arabesque - back counter - 2A - catchfoot in her FS, and she hasn't fallen on that one once. Yes, her 2A is low, but most of her jumps are low until she goes one rotation up and you wonder where the heck all that height and distance came from because it sure didn't look like it was there before. That's just normal for her, she always has a ridiculous height difference between her triples and quads. Point is, Anna doesn't even have a weak axel. If she has a weak jump it's the salchow tbh.

Besides, the most recent example of an Eteri student who's been there from young isn't Anna, it's Sofia. And she's got a 3A.

I think most of the "Eteri's students all have weak axels" thing comes from Evgenia, who's gotten her axel fixed under Orser now, and not from any of Eteri's other students. And Evgenia isn't even under Eteri anymore, so is it really fair to say that all of Eteri's girls have bad axels? Imo it isn't.

micks

Rinkside
I remember an interview with one of former Eteri's girl (sorry, I can't remind which one) who left her team in the same circumstances - when she was shifted to the younger group of skaters. And as I understood, she took it as a comedown, moreover - a kind of humiliation.

Polina Shuboderova.

TCC is given credit for technique, yet Stephen, the guy who actually was taught everything starting from scratch at TCC, has a horrible technique on quite a few jumps. So for every good case, there’s a bad case too.

Overall, I think people got used to blaming Eteri when the technique is bad, but when it’s good, then it’s not Eteri who taught it :) that should work both ways :)
You found an example of Elizabeth doing well with Eteri with her axel, same can apply for Sofia who also learned 3A there. For every example there can be a counter example:)

Elizabeth came from Cricket with a good techniques of axel. Tutberidze can motivate skaters do more. :)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Elizabeth came from Cricket with a good techniques of axel. Tutberidze can motivate skaters do more. :)

It’s debatable whether she “came from cricket”, as she wasn’t at cricket most of the time. she didn’t even get pretty much any attention there, she had very few lessons, first few years she spent a lot of time on public rinks in Moscow because of visa issues and noticeably regressed during the rest of her time there.

I don’t think we should discuss her here, she’s not a russian lady. :)

zounger

Medalist
I wouldn't even say Anna has a weak axel. That's just normal for her, she always has a ridiculous height difference between her triples and quads. Point is, Anna doesn't even have a weak axel.

Her's Sinitsina's and Young You's axels were the ones I liked the most in Zagreb. She doesn't achieve big height as you said, but covers a lot of distance. Aesthetically it looks very good.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It’s debatable whether she “came from cricket”, as she wasn’t at cricket most of the time. she didn’t even get pretty much any attention there, she had very few lessons, first few years she spent a lot of time on public rinks in Moscow because of visa issues and noticeably regressed during the rest of her time there.

I don’t think we should discuss her here, she’s not a russian lady. :)

While I agree on most of what was said, I think that discussing Lilbet here is appropriate, as she is a russian skater in everything but flag (and making separate thread just for her and maybe Ekaterina Ryabova seems redundant to me :) ).

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Polina Shuboderova.

Although working with Brian Orser aka Mr. Triple Axel certainly helped Elizabet to maintain and strengthen her Axel, her Axel was always a pretty good jump.
Here is a video from 2012 (before Orser)https://youtu.be/hdIS3B_Zqbw

And from 2013 before she switched to Orser
https://youtu.be/Ou_i9wjfZ88

To me her Axel seemed pretty good and powerful even back then.

Tere19

Rinkside
Now i feel a little bad for laughing so much at panenkova story but its just too funny being caught buying chocolate by Eteri and then being scared that she was going to use that to make fun of her for her failure in the jumps when maybe was that injury or the foot ...and then being send to be b group....i mean is sad but funny at the same time

Scott512

Record Breaker
Now i feel a little bad for laughing so much at panenkova story but its just too funny being caught buying chocolate by Eteri and then being scared that she was going to use that to make fun of her for her failure in the jumps when maybe was that injury or the foot ...and then being send to be b group....i mean is sad but funny at the same time

Not.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
as for that JoJo situation I'd just drop this programm.
well i just not a fan of either this song or the choreo. It wont be missed by me at least:biggrin:

VenusHalley

Final Flight
as for that JoJo situation I'd just drop this programm.
well i just not a fan of either this song or the choreo. It wont be missed by me at least:biggrin:

I agree with you. That song is grating, not good for figure skating... and Alina is so much better than chewish on her ugly costume and doing pseudo "edgy" moves. Just let her do Survivor until. she gets new program... there are pop songs that are not stupid and tacky. There is too much controversy over this program and it is not even good.

While I agree on most of what was said, I think that discussing Lilbet here is appropriate, as she is a russian skater in everything but flag (and making separate thread just for her and maybe Ekaterina Ryabova seems redundant to me :) ).

Elizabet is not a Russian skater because she doesn’t represent Russia. She shouldn’t be discussed here simply because she trains with one of the favourite Russian coaches. If we make exceptions for her this becomes a general ladies field discussion. There is already a thread for that I’m sure.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Elizabet is not a Russian skater because she doesn’t represent Russia. She shouldn’t be discussed here simply because she trains with one of the favourite Russian coaches. If we make exceptions for her this becomes a general ladies field discussion. There is already a thread for that I’m sure.
You are correct in principle but there are other things besides principle. I'm good with not mentioning her here or mentioning her here. The difference is she was born in Russia trains in Russia lives in Russia. We can talk about her here because we talk about Japanese girls here too sometimes. Lilbet is not mentioned enough here to really matter. It's only occasionally just like with the Japanese girls.

I come in here sometimes and posters are talking about Japanese girls are some other girls in comparison to the Russian girls. At first I think maybe they shouldn't be discussing them here and then I say it's okay because it doesn't happen that much.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Apparently the 2026 Winter Olympics will be in Italy. Maybe us Europeans will get rich enough to go by then :laugh:
Wanna make predictions on who are we gonna see? :laugh2:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Apparently the 2026 Winter Olympics will be in Italy. Maybe us Europeans will get rich enough to go by then :laugh:
Wanna make predictions on who are we gonna see? :laugh2:

Come on. Sochi, PC Beijing and Italy? Next Summer games in Japan. The ioc has forgotten all about us in the good ole USA. :(