2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 161 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Amei

Record Breaker
In a way Trusova (and Anya) started this revolution, and yet, I wonder if either of them will reap the rewards.

Depends on how you define 'reaping the rewards'? If they can successfully land their quads they will win, now how much and what medals they are is another story; as is the conversation if they get to the Olympics in 2022, they might fall in the category of Mao Asada, not born in the right year.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Then let's do it. Let's get a petition started to expand the Grand Prix spots. It should be a no-brainer.

Honestly, I don't mind that it's 6 skaters because it makes it more interesting and exciting. Perhaps the bigger problem is unjustly scoring, aka reputation inflation and newcomers-super-TES PCS inflation.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Honestly, I don't mind that it's 6 skaters because it makes it more interesting and exciting. Perhaps the bigger problem is unjustly scoring, aka reputation inflation and newcomers-super-TES PCS inflation.
If they would actually do fair scoring and not consistency and high TES = high pcs but also look at it individually as well as look at the pcs categories individually(some people might be verd musical but don't have a lot of transitions, so scores shouldn't be almost the same) and they should get rid of that later group pcs bonus, and all of that would make it more exciting in general.

Vandevska

Medalist
If they would actually do fair scoring and not consistency and high TES = high pcs but also look at it individually as well as look at the pcs categories individually(some people might be verd musical but don't have a lot of transitions, so scores shouldn't be almost the same) and they should get rid of that later group pcs bonus, and all of that would make it more exciting in general.

Exactly. Like, just because someone has 0 transitions it doesn't mean that their interpretation skills are bad and vice versa.

Scott512

Record Breaker

True about the scoring. But some of our favorites have been accused of benefiting from such scoring over the years. ;)

Vandevska

Medalist
True about the scoring. But some of our favorites have been accused of benefiting from such scoring over the years. ;)

I'm aware of that. But wouldn't it be better if everything was fair and square? ;)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I would rather have a fair scoring system than my fav just benefitting from a -----, biased system

Oops, don't know if you can use that word here :roll5:

But besides that... what is fair? It might seem unfair to you, it will be fair to others.
FS is a subjective sport, and fairness will be there for some people, and others will be running around with their 'wuzzrobbed' mantras.

Guys, what you are talking about here are all subjective things, PCS is VERY subjective besides maybe TR, SS and CO, and even those three 'more objective' components will be a subject to subjective evaluation.
How do you estimate if someone's transitions are 0.5 points better than other skater, and not 0.25 or 0.75? Those are subjective measurements, you just can't expect the judges to get something evaluated 'right' (or more like what you just as subjectively want it to be), it's not going to happen.
And then that 0.25 point difference might make a crucial difference in points, we've seen many cases where skaters lose by a difference of less than a point.

And whether you want it or not, TES will affect PCS, because technical deficiencies do detract from performance and the impression it makes on the judges. But technical superiority on contrast, makes a great impression. It's easy to say "those should be separate", but when you're watching it live and someone lands magnificent jumps, it does matter and changes on our own outlook on performances. And having two panels would've never solved that issue too imo.

Like even with Zagitova/Medvedeva/Osmond skate off, I don't know who should've won, those were all very close imo. (to my subjective opinion, Zagitova's performances were the performance of the nights.) But obviously other people will see it differently and have their own opinions. Some will say Kaetlyn is the real OG, some will say Medvedeva,
there's no way to define it.

Moreover, it seems like there's no way to satisfy people: when PCS win against TES like in Lysacek/Plushenko case people will be upset. If TES wins against PCS people are upset again.

I don't mean unfair judging doesn't happen at all, it certainly does happen and we've seen accounts of some clear fixed judging over the years.
But overall, it certainly doesn't mean that all the judging done in so many years is wrong and all results should completely be thrown out of the window.

ruga

Final Flight
Not have national based judging.

That would be great, but how to achieve that? Banning all judges who show any kind of national bias? Or not allowing any judges from 'big' countries to judge at the event (like in WC 19 ladies event with no judges from Japan or Russia)?

And whether you want it or not, TES will affect PCS, because technical deficiencies do detract from performance and the impression it makes on the judges. But technical superiority on contrast, makes a great impression. It's easy to say "those should be separate", but when you're watching it live and someone lands magnificent jumps, it does matter and changes on our own outlook on performances. And having two panels would've never solved that issue too imo.

I completely agree with this paragraph.

As for the issue of all program components turning out the same, I think it would help to replace the five categories with just two: Technical Aspects of the Program as a Whole (basically the current SS and TR) and Performance Aspects of the Program as a whole (comprising the current Performance, Composition, and Interpretation.) Keep the Element Scores as they are, so many points for a triple Lutz, etc.

Moreover, it seems like there's no way to satisfy people: when PCS win against TES like in Lysacek/Plushenko case people will be upset.

Interestingly, in both the short program and the long program TES won against PCS.

In the long program Plushenko and Lysacek exactly tied in PCS. Lysacek won by presenting higher technical content, 84.57 to 82.71. (Plushenko needed a three-jump combination or more backloading to catch Lysacek in TES.)

Last edited:

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Completely abandon the assessment of the PCS, as it is now.

I don't think that's completely neccessary, but on the other hand I don't really know how this could be solved

Also: I edited this, I understood the meaning of the post wrong, sorry

Vandevska

Medalist
As for the issue of all program components turning out the same, I think it would help to replace the five categories with just two: Technical Aspects of the Program as a Whole (basically the current SS and TR) and Performance Aspects of the Program as a whole (comprising the current Performance, Composition, and Interpretation.) Keep the Element Scores as they are, so many points for a triple Lutz, etc.

This is an interesting take.

I am pretty ok in terms of PCS because I've accepted the fact that it's biased (even in cases when you want to be objective, just as @nussnacker said about the magnificent jumps).

However, I'd like to see ISU invest more in making TES more objective as well. Have more cameras, let the judges rewatch in slow motion, it's very important. Deduct for jumps that are full-blade take off instead of toe pick take off. There are so many ladies that have magnificent jumps including no prerotation, decent height, and usually even transitions, and they still get less than those "top" skaters. It's really unfair.

Perhaps we should make a different thread about this, it's interesting to talk about, but not here.