2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 166 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

SkateSkates

Medalist
This is not from a legitimate source. This person also announced the GP reveal would be postponed which is not true.

Just because Alina and Evgenia were invited to the Shanghai Trophy doesn’t mean they will both accept. I would assume Alina will go to Japan Open and Evgenia to China. 2 of the 3A and Liza will probably be chosen to fill the remaining spots.

Edit: this is just my assumption based on Alina’s fan base/sponsors in Japan and not based in anything that’s confirmed.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Does this mean none of them except Alena has their sp ready? Don't they typically skate new sp in summer shows?
I enjoyed this! Anna, Alina, Alena and Sasha seem to be in good form for this time of the year!

Anna Shcherbakova - old SP, Dreams on Ice 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCG_KuVxZA

Alena Kostornaia - Twilight, Dreams on Ice, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRUdRAPVDNA

Alina Zagitova - old SP, Dreams on Ice 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7rQ8RvPosc

Alexandra Trusova - old SP Dreams on Ice 2019

https://vk.com/figureskating_love?w=wall-97272391_167626

Georgya

On the Ice
Does this mean none of them except Alena has their sp ready? Don't they typically skate new sp in summer shows?

I don't think so, it's not a rule. Alena was injured before the season was over and she had more time to prepare her new programs once she was allowed to skate. I still don't know if this is only a gala program or a work in progress SP for Alena. I remember last year Alina skated early during Japan shows her SP and people criticised it unfairly so maybe it's a new strategy for Eteri students - not to show programs before the test in september. After all they have plenty of time

SkateSkates

Medalist

This was not Alena’s new SP, but her gala program from this spring. She introduced it as her gala program in English during the voiceover at the beginning.

We don’t know if any of their programs have or have not been choreographed. As mentioned below, maybe they are not showing them until the test skates. As much as I would have loved a glimpse of their new programs it makes sense to me for them to refine the programs more before showing them so they have a stronger impression when they are debuted.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Would be interesting to know where they got this information. Kostornaia sounds likely, Konstantinova would be a bit weird, but possible. And Kostner hasn't even participated in any competitions this season, probably won't return in the next one so I doubt she will have a competitive program ready by then.

Aside from Rika and Satoko, only Javier Fernández is confirmed so far. Alena Kostornaia could be a top choice from Russia, when Alina and Evgenia are already taken by the Shanghai Trophy. If Carolina Kostner cannot participate in the event, Stanislava Konstantinova could be invited. My personal pick is Trusova but she would add too much pressure to Kihira who will start her free skate with a quad salchow.

ruga

Final Flight
Aside from Rika and Satoko, only Javier Fernández is confirmed so far. Alena Kostornaia could be a top choice from Russia, when Alina and Evgenia are already taken by the Shanghai Trophy. If Carolina Kostner cannot participate in the event, Stanislava Konstantinova could be invited. My personal pick is Trusova but she would add too much pressure to Kihira who will start her free skate with a quad salchow.

Well if I was to pick, I'd invite Tuktamysheva or Samodurova (in addition to Kostornaia or other new senior) who both won major medals this season. Also, maybe participation in Shanghai Trophy is not yet confirmed, so Zhenya and Alina could also be chosen.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Can somebody tell me why kostantinova keeps being picked for international competitions after she has proven to be a mess at this competitions ? In 2018 she went to senior worlds and junior worlds and has been send to europeans and has 2 gp events always ����

Because she earned it. She is high on the Seasons Best list and on the World Ranking list. The only time she really bombed was at Worlds 2018, otherwise she has done pretty well. This "rumour" that she bombs every time is simply not true.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Because she earned it. She is high on the Seasons Best list and on the World Ranking list. The only time she really bombed was at Worlds 2018, otherwise she has done pretty well. This "rumour" that she bombs every time is simply not true.

She managed to rally at Europeans in the FS and ended up 4th (which really isn't a bad placement) and actually got a medal at the Universiade too. I like her a lot, and really do not understand all the negativism about her. Just because she had a problem at worlds in 2018, it seems she's been written off already. Well, look at Vincent Zhou. He bombed at the same Worlds as Konstantinova did, had quite a few mishaps last season and turned it around to become nr. 3 of the men in the World. And saved the best for last at the WTT (as did Liza by the way, but under different circumstances).

Amei

Record Breaker
She managed to rally at Europeans in the FS and ended up 4th (which really isn't a bad placement) and actually got a medal at the Universiade too. I like her a lot, and really do not understand all the negativism about her. Just because she had a problem at worlds in 2018, it seems she's been written off already. Well, look at Vincent Zhou. He bombed at the same Worlds as Konstantinova did, had quite a few mishaps last season and turned it around to become nr. 3 of the men in the World. And saved the best for last at the WTT (as did Liza by the way, but under different circumstances).

I like her to, she's a lovely, mostly solid skater and if she wasn't in Russia she would probably be National champ. Unfortunately she doesn't really have stand-out elements, similar to Sofia S and I don't think that she will be able to keep pace with the flashy high-scoring, historic quads (not hating on the quad girls). And everyone likes to rag on 2018 Worlds - that was her first major senior international competition and it was about a week after Junior worlds.

Similar to Sotskova, she earned her world ranking and that's makes her eligible this year for GPs and other competitions, in all likelihood barring something crazy this will be her last year at something other than Senior B competitions just due to the amount of talent in Russia.

figurefan0726

Final Flight

Pretty sure Trusova won’t get invited. As the JSF is hosting the event, they wouldn’t want Rika to go head to head with her this early in the season.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

I don’t think she bombed by international standards aside from worlds 2018, but she bombs every single time by „Russian standards“. Her 4th place finish at junior worlds was largely due to receiving „senior“ level components.

I think she’s a nice skater, but she isn’t really nearly as consistent as Samodurova, doesn’t have anything special about her, she always bombs either her short, or her free (or both) and still receives a special treatment from Rusfed.
4th at Euros considering the field there and that Alina wasn’t in her best shape isn’t really that good, if we take into account how strong Russian field is. Same at universiade, who else was there she could’ve lost to?
Anyone else, like Gubanova would’ve been written off after 1 unfortunate performance.

Now, there’s a difference between Konstantinova and other girls who had unfortunate performances, like Sotskova, Tuktamysheva or Medvedeva. Despite the fact that there were times where they didn’t do well, they still had winning streaks before, they won/medaled at gpf, etc. Konstantinova didn’t deliver anything last year, but she was still awarded that host spot.

Konstantinova got a lot of opportunities to get over 200 internationally, and she didn’t do that, she’s the last russian girl on top 24 sb list.
Her rating is high, because she got 3 challengers last year(she was the only one that got that many), 2 gp and euros.
Girls like Sakhanovich or Gubanova got only 1 or 2 international events, so only 1 or 2 chances to showcase themselves and still got higher SB than Konstantinova with 3 challengers, 2 gp and Euros.

Now, I don’t have any negative feelings towards her, but I have to somewhat agree, that given the depth of the Russian field, it does seem like she’s been given a very nice treatment compared to other girls.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don’t think she bombed by international standards aside from worlds 2018, but she bombs every single time by „Russian standards“. Her 4th place finish at junior worlds was largely due to receiving „senior“ level components.

I think she’s a nice skater, but she isn’t really nearly as consistent as Samodurova, doesn’t have anything special about her, she always bombs either her short, or her free (or both) and still receives a special treatment from Rusfed.
4th at Euros considering the field there and that Alina wasn’t in her best shape isn’t really that good, if we take into account how strong Russian field is. Same at universiade, who else was there she could’ve lost to?
Anyone else, like Gubanova would’ve been written off after 1 unfortunate performance.

Now, there’s a difference between Konstantinova and other girls who had unfortunate performances, like Sotskova, Tuktamysheva or Medvedeva. Despite the fact that there were times where they didn’t do well, they still had winning streaks before, they won/medaled at gpf, etc. Konstantinova didn’t deliver anything last year, but she was still awarded that host spot.

Konstantinova got a lot of opportunities to get over 200 internationally, and she didn’t do that, she’s the last russian girl on top 24 sb list.
Her rating is high, because she got 3 challengers last year(she was the only one that got that many), 2 gp and euros.
Girls like Sakhanovich or Gubanova got only 1 or 2 international events, so only 1 or 2 chances to showcase themselves and still got higher SB than Konstantinova with 3 challengers, 2 gp and Euros.

Now, I don’t have any negative feelings towards her, but I have to somewhat agree, that given the depth of the Russian field, it does seem like she’s been given a very nice treatment compared to other girls.

Very well explained. Without rancor and hate. Thanks.

icetug

Medalist

Sure. But the same (though higher) got Saha, Rika and Alena, so she wasn't any except. She finished 4th due her firmly high level of performance while Rika bombed her FS and Yuhana - SP.

I think she’s a nice skater, but she isn’t really nearly as consistent as Samodurova, doesn’t have anything special about her,

She does. She's special because of two main reasons:
1. her presence on ice, which is - even for Russian standards - outstanding. It's such a pleasure to see a skater of more than 156 cm height with all the lines she creates thanks to her body features;
2. her skating style, which is not unique, but very rare for Russian ladies. I'd say she's more like Japanese skaters. To explain what I mean: Russians are like "Look at me, I'm great" while Japanese: "Look, I'm going to show you something I think you can like". Again: it's such a pleasure to see somebody different it that way.

she always bombs either her short, or her free (or both) and still receives a special treatment from Rusfed.

Always? Let's see:
FIVE competitions with equal results in both parts: JWC 2017 SP 6, FS 6; JWC 2018 SP 6, FS 5; GP Helsinki SP 4, FS 3; Russian Nationals 2019 SP 4, FS 5; Universiade SP 2, FS 3.
And just TWO exceptions for: Euro 2019 SP 11 (BUT FS 2); GP IdF SP 10, FS 4.
ONE disappointing skating: Worlds 2018 SP 16, FS 20.

Sure. At Euros she did a mistake and let Viveca got the podium what prevented Russia sweeping it... What is unforgivable, even if she left 32 skaters behind ;). The same for Universiade: how could she have lost to the future World silver medalist :laugh: (and three-time Four Continents medalist)?

She got 205.81 at Universiade. Isn't it international competition?
She's 23 at SB list, though she would be 15 if Universiade was an ISU event or she would have got WTT instead.
She's 7th senior skater at the list. From the six ahead her, four competed internationally on a championship level. From the remaining two: Sima didn't compete at RussNat while Gubanova was 9th. So why any of them should have been sent to Euro/Uni instead of Stasya, who was 4th?

I definitely don't have any negative feelings towards Sima and Nastia, but I can't agree with you.

I'm sorry for this excessively long post. I can understand frustration of a Russian ladies fan, who knows how excellent they are, though they didn't win each and every competition sweeping the podium. What I can say: wait a while. Stasya was really good choice for pre-3A era. Don't blame her she's not a quadster ;).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
One ccould argue that Konstantinova's 4th place at Euros was below "Russian standard". But I never heard any complaints about Maria Sotskova who never medalled at Euros and came 4th twice. And we must not forget that RusFed kind of held Konstantinova back in 2018 - she didn't get any GP assignments. She did well though at Russian Nationals, 4th (3rd senior) but Medvedeva took her place at Euros and Olympics. She was the first alternate and got to Worlds 2018 fair and square after Medvedeva wd.

SkateSkates

Medalist
One ccould argue that Konstantinova's 4th place at Euros was below "Russian standard". But I never heard any complaints about Maria Sotskova who never medalled at Euros and came 4th twice. And we must not forget that RusFed kind of held Konstantinova back in 2018 - she didn't get any GP assignments. She did well though at Russian Nationals, 4th (3rd senior) but Medvedeva took her place at Euros and Olympics. She was the first alternate and got to Worlds 2018 fair and square after Medvedeva wd.

I had no problem with her getting senior worlds due to her placement at senior nationals, but her spot at junior worlds. They underscored gubanova at Jr nationals that season - she skated clean and ended up 4th, while Stasya messed up the SP but came back in the LP with the highest PCS to overtake Nastya for 3rd.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I had no problem with her getting senior worlds due to her placement at senior nationals, but her spot at junior worlds. They underscored gubanova at Jr nationals that season - she skated clean and ended up 4th, while Stasya messed up the SP but came back in the LP with the highest PCS to overtake Nastya for 3rd.

Exactly. Considering how many talented juniors they had at the time it baffles me that they would give her junior worlds AND senior worlds. Especially considering how close in time they were and another athlete could have been more prepared for senior worlds or she could have focused exclusively on senior worlds.

She’s a very talented skater and if she were from any other country she’d likely be national champ. But I consider her unexceptional by Russian standards. She is similar to Sofia, but I prefer Sofia as I feel she has a better performance quality (she’s got spunk and can sell her program) and Sofia is more consistent.

The other thing I find suspicious is that she only narrowly beat Alina at Russian Nationals by less than a point. RusFed could easily have propped up their olympic champion to give her more confidence going into the remaining competitions, to save face, and shut down any questions about whether Alina should be sent to worlds. But they didn’t. They propped up Stasya to boost her to first in seniors. They’ve shown they have no problem boosting certain skaters or suppressing other skates’ scores. So to me that indicated that they really wanted to justify sending her the big competitions.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
She does. She's special because of two main reasons:
1. her presence on ice, which is - even for Russian standards - outstanding. It's such a pleasure to see a skater of more than 156 cm height with all the lines she creates thanks to her body features;
2. her skating style, which is not unique, but very rare for Russian ladies. I'd say she's more like Japanese skaters. To explain what I mean: Russians are like "Look at me, I'm great" while Japanese: "Look, I'm going to show you something I think you can like". Again: it's such a pleasure to see somebody different it that way.

Her posture and lines actually aren't her best quality, and sure she's not better than Gubanova in that, same for skating skills imo.
I don't see how Stanislava is anything like japanese skaters, her Karenina or Malaguena aren't exactly subtle soft japanese style, but on contrary super flashy and dramatic.
But we can agree to disagree :)

I didn't get the comment about the height... She's not the only tall russian skater out there, how that makes her unique or special? And why is it important at all? You may want to watch at tall skaters, do you. That doesn't make her any different in the eyes of the russian federation.

Always? Let's see:
FIVE competitions with equal results in both parts: JWC 2017 SP 6, FS 6; JWC 2018 SP 6, FS 5; GP Helsinki SP 4, FS 3; Russian Nationals 2019 SP 4, FS 5; Universiade SP 2, FS 3.
And just TWO exceptions for: Euro 2019 SP 11 (BUT FS 2); GP IdF SP 10, FS 4.
ONE disappointing skating: Worlds 2018 SP 16, FS 20.
Sure. At Euros she did a mistake and let Viveca got the podium what prevented Russia sweeping it... What is unforgivable, even if she left 32 skaters behind ;). The same for Universiade: how could she have lost to the future World silver medalist :laugh: (and three-time Four Continents medalist)?

Well, as I said, that's not bombing by international standards, but given how many consistent and amazing russian ladies there are, who are swept aside after 1-2 performances without medals, it will count as bombing by russian standards.

Lol, but exactly. It's europeans, there wasn't any competition to russian ladies, the fact that she still missed out on a podium in Minsk (!) with let's just say favorable judging, is quite alerting.
So what that she left 32 skaters behind =) Ivett Toth left 23/36 skaters behind and didn't even make it to the FS at worlds.
Winning against Laurine or Mae Bernice Miete at euros, I don't know how big of an achievement that is for russian ladies, who are fairly superior on technical compared to european ladies.

She got 205.81 at Universiade. Isn't it international competition?
She's 23 at SB list, though she would be 15 if Universiade was an ISU event or she would have got WTT instead.
She's 7th senior skater at the list. From the six ahead her, four competed internationally on a championship level. From the remaining two: Sima didn't compete at RussNat while Gubanova was 9th. So why any of them should have been sent to Euro/Uni instead of Stasya, who was 4th?

Universiade isn't an ISU event for a reason, so it doesn't count to SB.
Stasya's clean-ish performance at Universiade isn't exactly clean, is it? Doubled jump, messy spins, underrotations.
The rest of the field weren't even close to competing with top 3, there was no one she could've lost to, especially given the judging.
I mean, if she lost to Mae Bernice Miete or Soyun Park...

I think Stasya is marked fairly favorably on domestic competitions, that's why she gets all those opportunities, she scored more than Sofia at home on Rusnats, but notice how she can't achieve Sofia's international results on any ISU international competitions.
She wasn't exactly clean at RusNats either, so her getting those marks was a bit surprising to me.
International judges seem to think she's not better than Sofia, or Nastia or Serafima, but at domestic competitions it's different, isn't it =)

I don't think Gubanova or Sakhanovich should've been sent to euros, but I think I made my point pretty clear: Stasya got 3 senior B's for some reason (which contributed to her WS) and 2 gps, and still showed lower results than Nastia or Serafima, who got 1-2 chances to perform and earn SB.
When someone gets as many international showings, you would expect them to show a better result than those who didn't have those chances, wouldn't you?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Maria competed against Carolina Kostner in her times, so you know, it's kind of different now that Caro (I presume) retired.