2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 167 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
I had no problem with her getting senior worlds due to her placement at senior nationals, but her spot at junior worlds. They underscored gubanova at Jr nationals that season - she skated clean and ended up 4th, while Stasya messed up the SP but came back in the LP with the highest PCS to overtake Nastya for 3rd.

While I adore Anastasia and Stanislava there's no question who should have been sent to Junior worlds 2017. Nastya. Also senior worlds 2018 when Zhenya withdrew Nastya was tremendous at Junior Grand Prix final. Great skating skills to go along with all her artistry and musicality. Maybe the Russian Federation didn't see her skate in that event. ;) No way should Stanislava have finished ahead of a clean Anastasia at Junior Russian Nationals that year. But she did. TAT influence?

These two girls used to be good friends and I hope they still are. But Nastya getting jobbed twice for Stasya may have created an issue between them. Now with 3A becoming seniors it will be hard for both girls to make their marks this season.

And the way Nastya has been scored in domestic competitions has been consistently unfairly low. It's sad. Now she's behind so many girls and the fed has never supported this beautiful skater with great skating skills. It's odd. It's really an uphill climb for Nastya now to say the least. My hope for her is to be healthy this season and be more consistent so we can enjoy her wonderful skating whether she moves up the ranks or not.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
While I adore Anastasia and Stanislava there's no question who should have been sent to Junior worlds 2017. Nastya. Also senior worlds 2018 when Zhenya withdrew Nastya was tremendous at Junior Grand Prix final. Great skating skills to go along with all her artistry and musicality. Maybe the Russian Federation didn't see her skate in that event. ;) No way should Stanislava have finished ahead of a clean Anastasia at Junior Russian Nationals that year. But she did. TAT influence?

These two girls used to be good friends and I hope they still are. But Nastya getting jobbed twice for Stasya may have created an issue between them. Now with 3A becoming seniors it will be hard for both girls to make their marks this season.

And the way Nastya has been scored in domestic competitions has been consistently unfairly low. It's sad. Now she's behind so many girls and the fed has never supported this beautiful skater with great skating skills. It's odd. It's really an uphill climb for Nastya now to say the least. My hope for her is to be healthy this season and be more consistent so we can enjoy her wonderful skating whether she moves up the ranks or not.

It's clear judges like Stanislava a lot, especially in Russia but i'd say internationally also when she skates well she gets good marks. Overall she got decent results last season with up and down performances as always but far better than her senior debut at Worlds. She has been working on triple axel, so they understand she might need to upgrade her technical contents at some point if the competition keeps improving.

As for Nastya, she is so close on getting the GP spots, i'd say stick to it and she will get something next season: this season she should really focus on the challenger events and skate well there, cause as we saw here any ISU event is extremely important, more than the domestic ones and if someone has a disappointing season either Gubanova, Tarusina, Tarakanova, Vasilieva and Gulyakova are all up there to get something.

Unfortunately unless the rules change and you start to allow more athletes at each GP event, Russia has maxed out all the spots with 3 ladies at each event.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Nastya had pneumonia shortly before junior worlds 2018.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
As for Nastya, she is so close on getting the GP spots, i'd say stick to it and she will get something next season: this season she should really focus on the challenger events and skate well there, cause as we saw here any ISU event is extremely important, more than the domestic ones and if someone has a disappointing season either Gubanova, Tarusina, Tarakanova, Vasilieva and Gulyakova are all up there to get something.

Unless the rules change and you start to allow more athletes at each GP event, Russia has maxed out all the spots with 3 ladies at each event.

Rumor has it Gubanova plans to try it on Junior GP this season. Unconfirmed yet, but we might hear about it from her pretty soon.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Rumor has it Gubanova plans to try it on Junior GP this season. Unconfirmed yet, but we might hear about it from her pretty soon.

Hmm this could go either way: scores in juniors aren't as high as seniors especially in components, but Russia's field is a bit weaker than last season without 3As.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Hmm this could go either way: scores in juniors aren't as high as seniors especially in components, but Russia's field is a bit weaker than last season without 3As.

I’m not sure that it is really weaker. I think Eteri’s upcoming junior wonder kids will be dominating.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I’m not sure that it is really weaker. I think Eteri’s upcoming junior wonder kids will be dominating.

Valieva and Kanysheva are very strong, Khromykh is fine, needs some refinements, Usacheva was a bit inconsistent last season.

We don't know who the others will be: if i remember correctly CSKA will keep Vasilieva in juniors but not Tarusina, Panova has Tarakanova, Sinitsyna, Frolova and Shabotova (at least the first two should get a spot), and then there is Victoria Safonova.

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's clear judges like Stanislava a lot, especially in Russia but i'd say internationally also when she skates well she gets good marks. Overall she got decent results last season with up and down performances as always but far better than her senior debut at Worlds. She has been working on triple axel, so they understand she might need to upgrade her technical contents at some point if the competition keeps improving.

Unfortunately unless the rules change and you start to allow more athletes at each GP event, Russia has maxed out all the spots with 3 ladies at each event.

What you said makes sense on all levels.

As far as the rules go they don't have to change the rules they have to tweak them and reward the countries that are best more than they do. it should be a little bit more like tennis that has the world rankings that go by as to who gets into an event. Russia getting a fourth spot at Europeans or worlds grand Grand Prix events would be fine if they deserve it. I don't know what the Russian Federation is doing if they're complaining about it if they're pushing the isu to make changes. but something has to be done because two or three years you going to have another five to seven great skaters from Eteri's camp alone let alone the rest of Russia.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Nastya had pneumonia shortly before junior worlds 2018.

Really? I didn't know that. That would be harmful to Nastyas health and career at that point. Then she had the boot problem at the beginning of last season. Poor kid. Then Liza got pneumonia last December. Terrible.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Who are skaters who could potentially contend with russian girls during JGP/JWC for medals?

Korean girls Young You and Yelim Kim moved to seniors and have senior GP entries. So from Korea it is probably only Lee Hae-in.

Then from japanese ladies I bet most of the best are moving to seniors as well (Yuhana Yokoi won't be age eligible for juniors anymore). I don't know if there are some potentially strong girls in the proper age now.

US girls? Ting Cui is moving to seniors as well. There will be Hanna Harrell but so far I don't think she is a rival for russian girls (if there won't be some serious improvement during off-season). So for now I think it is only Alysa Liu, who is the serious oponent. She did not compete internationally yet (apart from AFST) as well as Kamila and co., so we will see.

There is of course Ekaterina Kurakova representing Poland, who should not be omitted, but I don't think she will be a direct threat for russian girls yet.

Well, what I'm trying to say is that even when Maya Khromykh or Daria Usacheva may not be seen as strong as 3A's were seen (but it is more a question of consistency than skills), there are still Nastya Tarakanova, Aliona Kanysheva and of course Kamila. In the same time there is not so much strong field in other countries as well now (if you know about someone, please make a note, I'm definitely not so well informed about other countries). On the other hand, there could be potentially great clash between Kamila and Alysa.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Isnt Marin Hondas younger sister Sara(?) junior eligeble for next season. If I remember correctly she beat Alyssa Liu on som novice competition lasy year so she must be pretty good. Otherwise I cant think of any japanese ladies ut just like russia they can usually find quite a few good so I should not expect them to be of no threat at all.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Isnt Marin Hondas younger sister Sara(?) junior eligeble for next season. If I remember correctly she beat Alyssa Liu on som novice competition lasy year so she must be pretty good. Otherwise I cant think of any japanese ladies ut just like russia they can usually find quite a few good so I should not expect them to be of no threat at all.

Those are the results of Asian Open FS Trophy, Alisa won, Sara was second. But the score is low, I don't know whether they were doing full programs (no protocols on the event page, but in detailed results there is no composition score as a part of PCS).

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm really curious which of the russian girls will be nominated for JGP. On paper, there could be 7 girls with two entries and 1 girl with one entry. And we have:
Kamila Valieva
Anastasia Tarakanova
Aliona Kanysheva
Anna Tarusina
Ksenia Sinitsina
Victoria Vasilieva
Maya Khromykh
Daria Usacheva
and potentially Nastya Gubanova?

SkateSkates

Medalist
I'm really curious which of the russian girls will be nominated for JGP. On paper, there could be 7 girls with two entries and 1 girl with one entry. And we have:
Kamila Valieva
Anastasia Tarakanova
Aliona Kanysheva
Anna Tarusina
Ksenia Sinitsina
Victoria Vasilieva
Maya Khromykh
Daria Usacheva

I would add Anna Frolova to the list as a potential spot - she was named to the jr reserve team. I would have also had Safonova on their as well but she wasn’t named to the team so I’m not sure. Entries are due to the ISU for the 1st JGP July 19, so we will see who is assigned vs who is listed as a substitute. My guess is Kamila + a returning jr get the 1st event (maybe Sinitsina or Vasilieva?)

machaco17

Rinkside
I'll keep my own prediction on who will make it to GP Finals, but I have a feeling that half of them from Russian. :drama:Too many amazing senior girls this season.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
One ccould argue that Konstantinova's 4th place at Euros was below "Russian standard". But I never heard any complaints about Maria Sotskova who never medalled at Euros and came 4th twice. And we must not forget that RusFed kind of held Konstantinova back in 2018 - she didn't get any GP assignments. She did well though at Russian Nationals, 4th (3rd senior) but Medvedeva took her place at Euros and Olympics. She was the first alternate and got to Worlds 2018 fair and square after Medvedeva wd.

Okay, but Sotskova should've been third in 2018 at EC in my opinion. Anyways, Polina should've been sent to Worlds (as many people back then were suggesting). Though she was behind Stasya at RusNats, her skates in the season proved that she was better suited for Worlds.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Kamila Valieva
Anastasia Tarakanova
Aliona Kanysheva
Anna Tarusina
Ksenia Sinitsina
Victoria Vasilieva
Maya Khromykh
Daria Usacheva

Why ad Nastya? Let her do senior Bs and challengers and various Russian events and maybe a GP event if someone gets hurt. So many junior girls for Russia no need to add any more.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Why ad Nastya? Let her do senior Bs and challengers and various Russian events and maybe a GP event if someone gets hurt. So many junior girls for Russia no need to add any more.

That's what was said previously in the thread. I don't know if that will really happen (and I don't say that's what I want), but according to some sources it seems there is such possibility. Well, the final decision still lies on RusFed.