2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 173 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
This is never going to happen, sorry. Russia will never get more than three spots, on the contrary, look at what happened to Rhythmic Gymnastics. We should be glad to see three Russian girls at the Olympics in figure skating...

And in a way, I understand it. It‘s the Olympics and World Championships, not championship of Russia + Japan + USA and a few selected of other European countries like Italy (Kostner), Finland (Lindfors), Belgium (Hendrickx). And I think these young skaters deserve the chance to compete at the highest level, too. Their success might actually help making figure skating more popular in their own country... And some of them are actually really great. Who would have thought Viveca would win Bronze at Euros? I also immensely enjoyed some of the lower ranked skaters at Junior Worlds this year because they were probably the ones who skated with the most freedom. They know they‘re realistically not going to be anywhere close to medal position, so they‘re just thankful for the opportunity to be there and enjoy every second of it. It‘s refreshing to see something like this after all the fighting of the tough as nails ladies from Russia and Japan. And while I do admit that I enjoy the latter more because their skating is simply more refined and at a higher level, I do think that skaters from smaller federations have every right to go to Worlds as long as they meet the technical minimums. I think they deserve respect and giving 10 more spots to Russia and Japan (which they could all probably fill) is not that.

If I was the one to choose (thankfully I‘m not since as a fan I‘m heavily biased lol) I‘d let the reigning European and 4CC champion get a free ticket to Worlds. So, let‘s say this year Sofia and Rika would have earned their spots respectively and Russia and Japan could have sent three more girls to the Worlds. I think this could be a fair solution, it‘s only one spot more at maximum for a country and it does make a competition like 4CC more prestigious as well. But, like I said, this is never going to happen. We‘ll have to deal with the heartbreak. At least they have three spots, not two like in other sports or like Japan did at the last Olympics... that was horror.

It is a bit curious though that for all the talent in Russia they have not managed to sweep the podium at Euros for the last three years, I think.

2016 was the last time they did, I believe with Medvedeva, Radionova and Pogorilaya.

2017 and 2018 Kostner beat Sotskova for the bronze and 2019 Lindfors won over Konstantinova.

I have a strong feeling that they‘ll do it this year, though. All the girls they send to Euros will have to go through Nationals and whoever makes it out there on top will be ready to stand on any podium.

I do agree that there should definitely be another flight at Nationals. 18 girls is ridiculous. They have so much talent, they should give more skaters the opportunity to skate at Nationals. Money shouldn‘t be an issue. Figure skating is so popular that they will even show the JUNIOR TEST SKATES live on TV. I mean, come on, that‘s just crazy. They‘re not even going to wear costumes, it‘s not even a real competition. And yet so many people want to see this. So, if there‘s so much interest, surely people will also be interested in watching 6 more skaters at Nationals....

No need to be sorry. It isnt your fault. ;)

18 is too few for Rusnats. If it means the other 3 disciplines get an increase too evn without the talent and depth of the Russinas so be it. 18 to 24 should be doable.

What do worlds and euros take? 30 skaters?

5Axel

Rinkside
To be honest, I expected something more modern, but this is definitely a very interesting choice. The music is really powerful and I'm curious to see what the choreo will be like.

And lol that timing. It was like 1AM in Russia when Daniil posted it , if I'm not mistaken.

ruga

Final Flight
But want went through Daniil's head when he decided to post it in the middle of the night? 'Can't sleep, why not post Alina's music so FS fans dont sleep either'?

SkateSkates

Medalist
I really like cleopatra for Alina. I think it could work well for her and her style of skating. Excited to see how the music cuts and program come together.

Elana

On the Ice
I really like cleopatra for Alina. I think it could work well for her and her style of skating. Excited to see how the music cuts and program come together.

Exactly what I came here to say. I haven’t got a chance to listen to the music yet, but I think this is a good fit for Alina and am excited to see it... and the beautiful dress!

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
No need to be sorry. It isnt your fault. ;)

18 is too few for Rusnats. If it means the other 3 disciplines get an increase too evn without the talent and depth of the Russinas so be it. 18 to 24 should be doable.

What do worlds and euros take? 30 skaters?

I dont think its any max for the championchips. Any contry with a skater thet reaches the min scores can enter (and of course top nations get additional entrance). However I think it usually ends up around 25-35 skaters and I think they raise the TES min if they one year go above that. The free is however allways limited to 24 (for singles, dance and pairs I thibnk is 18) which is four full groups so I think that would be a good number for RUSnats

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm interested to see how this turns out for Alina, it could be good. Just, please no "Egyptian Arms" choreo - that's so tacky.

Grin

Medalist
Well, I‘m somewhat concerned about that too. The last Cleopatra program that comes to my mind now was by Laurine Lecavelier, I think, and... no comments on that.
Also - please no unnecessary sound effects
Ha-ha, dream on :laugh:

P.S. I'm hoping for snake hiss sound effect in the end ^_^ Smth like the train sound in Evgenia's Anna Karenina

karina17

Final Flight
It has been bothering me since the announcement that Alina's third piece of music (Ramses) sounds so familiar, and now I have FINALLY realised where I heard it from: Anna Shcherbakova's FS from 2016.

https://youtu.be/j3X_n-8ROzQ (Ramses starts playing around 3:40.)

I guess this probably means Ramses is going to be the step sequence music for Alina's free as well? Though of course nothing is confirmed and we'll have to wait and see.

monochrom3

On the Ice
and just another warhorse...

Personally if you’d said “just another BALLET” I might have agreed with you, but tbh Cleopatra programs are really not what I might call a ‘warhorse’. It’s been done before but its not really done that much I feel? Like I recall programs by Miki Ando, Kaetlyn Osmond of note, also Tukt did one but I believe she changed to the Peter Gynt programs. Also a great deal of Cleopatra programs don‘t actually use music from Cleopatra (the film or the ballet), Alina’s like wise won’t so I really doubt that it can be considered a warhorse; the music choices themselves are also not that common. The Feeling Begins was skated by Michelle Kwan back in the early 2000s and was popular for a period in that era but it hasn’t been used very much in recent years (Lilbet did use it in the season before she left Eteri but that’s all that I can recall offhand). The second piece has really only been used by Rika Hongo recently and then she changed it mid season to something else as well. The third piece is practically unheard of.

I know Alina’s been known to skate to plenty of warhorses but I’m pretty sure Cleopatra wouldn’t be regarded by most fs fans to be one. Call a horse a horse, but I’m afraid this one is a zebra my friend.

pearly

Record Breaker
The pieces used are not necessarily warhorses, but the theme isn't entirely out of the box like perhaps we expected. Anyway, let's see what they do with it. Glad she's getting new programs, i.e. competing this season.

kixxxra

Rinkside
Country
Saudi-Arabia
I really want to see alina working with another choreographer, at least for her sp, i don't like danill choreographies, too many music cuts and transitions.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Based on her Instagram it seems like Alena’s new LP will be her vampire program. The original post was edited to say free program instead of SP. she also deleted the post about her no one ever called me that LP. So now I’m wondering what her SP will be.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Based on her Instagram it seems like Alena’s new LP will be her vampire program. The original post was edited to say free program instead of SP. she also deleted the post about her no one ever called me that LP. So now I’m wondering what her SP will be.

I’m thrilled Eyes on Fire will be her FS. To be honest, her original FS music sounded very similar to what she has done in the past (contemporary piano, easy listening music) and I think she is a much more versatile skater. Hope her SP will be just as interesting as her FS.

- - - Updated - - -

I really want to see alina working with another choreographer, at least for her sp, i don't like danill choreographies, too many music cuts and transitions.
Maybe they haven’t announced her SP because she is working with another choreographer

Fluture

Record Breaker

Not likely to happen. Daniil calls her his muse for a reason. I would like for her to work with another choreographer as well, simply for diversity, not because I don‘t like Daniil‘s choreo. But don‘t change what‘s not broken, I guess. Maybe she‘ll work with someone else on an exhibition program in the future. And no, I don‘t mean Jojo Gomez by that. :laugh:

Can‘t say that I‘m too enthusiastic about this. I liked the choice for her FS while I‘m no fan at all of the exhibition music and the overall image. She can sell anything but oh well... Let‘s wait and see, I guess. Team Tutberidze sure is fond of using character based programs recently. All of the 4A will have one.

Maju

On the Ice

Not likely to happen. Daniil calls her his muse for a reason. I would like for her to work with another choreographer as well, simply for diversity, not because I don‘t like Daniil‘s choreo. But don‘t change what‘s not broken, I guess. Maybe she‘ll work with someone else on an exhibition program in the future. And no, I don‘t mean Jojo Gomez by that. :laugh:

Can‘t say that I‘m too enthusiastic about this. I liked the choice for her FS while I‘m no fan at all of the exhibition music and the overall image. She can sell anything but oh well... Let‘s wait and see, I guess. Team Tutberidze sure is fond of using character based programs recently. All of the 4A will have one.
That’s a pity. I loved her FS music :( Hopefully the choreo is good