2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 175 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Grin

Medalist
Is she working with Averbukh or is this wishful thinking?

I'm of the camp of any choreographer, really anyone, but Daniil for Alina at this point tbh

As far as I know Daniil will do both SP and FS for Alina in next season

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
None of those things will matter, unless the WD is at cup of Russia.

Sakhanovich is most likely if they decide to replace with the same country as she would be high in the replacement list based on SB. But ultimately the federation can invite anyone on the replacement list. Basically the ten skaters with the highest SB that does not yet have 2 GP.

Officially yes, but we know from interviews federations talk each other on these things and skaters (when they are successful like World medalist so not in this case) also have a say sometimes.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Officially yes, but we know from interviews federations talk each other on these things and skaters (when they are successful like World medalist so not in this case) also have a say sometimes.

I think less with the replacements than the initial invites though.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Based on her Instagram it seems like Alena’s new LP will be her vampire program. The original post was edited to say free program instead of SP. she also deleted the post about her no one ever called me that LP. So now I’m wondering what her SP will be.

Strong NO to Bella Swan as your senior debut music. She should've kept last season's SP instead.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Strong NO to Bella Swan as your senior debut music. She should've kept last season's SP instead.

I would be okay with it if the whole theme wasn‘t about vampires. It seems so... well, a bit too immature for Alena. Bella Swan - I mean what is there even to portray about Bella Swan? Other than that she likes sparkling boys and gets bitten by her vampire crush, of course. Anna and Sasha both got these very serious, deep characters to portray in their programs and Alena of all people ends up with someone like Bella? Why. :noshake:

The music in itself is fine, something different from what she‘s used to. I actually quite like it. If she was simply skating to it without it being about Twilight and vampires and her biting her hand and stuff like that, it could have potential! This way, I‘m just not impressed. I do hope that it will end up differently than what we‘ve seen from her exhibition, though. If she gets a new costume and a bit more “serious“ choreography, it could end up pretty acceptable after all.

Her SP was a masterpiece, of course. If she kept it, it would be great. But then again, she said herself that she doesn‘t like to skate to the same program more than one season... so if she does exactly that anyway, it might mean she‘s not yet fully recovered and has no other choice. I said it in another thread, I‘ll say it here as well: As long as Alena is healthy and ready to show everyone her beautiful skating this season, I‘ll gladly take every program and cheer for her to skate it cleanly. Even that weird Twilight one. :pray:

karina17

Final Flight
I would be okay with it if the whole theme wasn‘t about vampires. It seems so... well, a bit too immature for Alena. Bella Swan - I mean what is there even to portray about Bella Swan? Other than that she likes sparkling boys and gets bitten by her vampire crush, of course. Anna and Sasha both got these very serious, deep characters to portray in their programs and Alena of all people ends up with someone like Bella? Why. :noshake:

I agree so much with this. Personally, I'm not entirely against the idea of a vampire program and I'm not against the music choices at all, but for her to be portraying Bella Swan specifically feels like such a waste. She is a passive, boring character that nobody can ever admire or look up to. She doesn't even do anything. She's more of a lens for people to see the vampire boy in the story and that's about it.

What's more, Twilight is more or less the height of internet cringe culture. I remember there being a time when it was popular, but only for a short while before it started being mainstream to complain about how bad and cringeworthy it was. Why would the coaching team want to associate Alyona with that? I don't get it.

I personally like the soundtrack, but the character and the story she's from...no. And it feels like such a waste on a wonderful skater like Alyona. Of course, there's the possibility that Alyona is just a diehard twilight fan and in that case I guess there's nothing to be done about it.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia

The music in itself is fine, something different from what she‘s used to. I actually quite like it. If she was simply skating to it without it being about Twilight and vampires and her biting her hand and stuff like that, it could have potential! This way, I‘m just not impressed. I do hope that it will end up differently than what we‘ve seen from her exhibition, though. If she gets a new costume and a bit more “serious“ choreography, it could end up pretty acceptable after all.

Her SP was a masterpiece, of course. If she kept it, it would be great. But then again, she said herself that she doesn‘t like to skate to the same program more than one season... so if she does exactly that anyway, it might mean she‘s not yet fully recovered and has no other choice. I said it in another thread, I‘ll say it here as well: As long as Alena is healthy and ready to show everyone her beautiful skating this season, I‘ll gladly take every program and cheer for her to skate it cleanly. Even that weird Twilight one. :pray:

To judge the full program for its exhibition version is somewhat premature. Let me remind here what kind of feedback were there about Alena’s SP after last year’s control skates and what we got as a result at the end of the season. Alёna is able to surprise.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I’m not sure using a song from twilight necessarily means she will be portraying a vampire or Bella. I don’t think her FS will just be an extension of her exhibition. I would hope that Danil would be more imaginative than that.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
To judge the full program for its exhibition version is somewhat premature. Let me remind here what kind of feedback were there about Alena’s SP after last year’s control skates and what we got as a result at the end of the season. Alёna is able to surprise.

There were also pretty huge (and not very nice) complaints against Juliet, at least till Linz. Why not to wait till we see it, everybody, right?

ruga

Final Flight
I’m not sure using a song from twilight necessarily means she will be portraying a vampire or Bella. I don’t think her FS will just be an extension of her exhibition. I would hope that Danil would be more imaginative than that.
Well Aliona wrote on her instagram post that she will be portraying Bella. But I still hope that they change this idea a bit. Bella Swan is one of the dullest characters in the history of filmmaking and Twilight is a movie which is usually watched by teenagers (and not even today's teenagers). Dunno if that will impress the judges, especially when her competitors got very mature pieces. But I hope that Aliona will be able to sell it as she always does.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
My opinion is that the matter is not even in the image that these girls embody on the ice, but in the music that they use. For Alёna, they chose Muse the most radical option, the most distant from the usual classics. The music of Anna, Sasha, and Alina now - this is something that is familiar to FS. Although the images for Sasha and especially for Anna are more ambiguous than Alёna. But no one seriously assumes that they will show cruel cynical murders and jumping with drakaris shouts .

Fluture

Record Breaker

Well, she did write specifically in her instagram announcement post that she will portray Bella from Twilight in the FS. I hope Daniil changes the choreography from the exhibition a bit and makes something new of it. I actually quite like the music, it‘s just the whole theme that I don‘t appreciate. I mean, the exhibition might not be entirely the real program in the end but it still at least shows the direction they want to go with it. And from what we‘ve seen, it just doesn‘t work for me yet. This can change, of course! I very much hope that I‘ll see the program at the test skates and it will be so great that I have to change my opinion entirely. Alena is my favourite Tutberidze girl, I will always enjoy seeing her skate but I would of course love it if her programs were among my favourites too. (like her SP last season, for example)

There were also pretty huge (and not very nice) complaints against Juliet, at least till Linz. Why not to wait till we see it, everybody, right?

I still don‘t find Juliet to be a very good program to be honest. It was okay and it worked but what made it outstanding was only the way Alena skated to it. I saw it live in Linz. The choreography and music cuts were pretty forgettable. (To be fair, it’s always hard to make any program to one of the ultimate warhorses like R&J memorable given the many we‘ve seen already)

Alena, on the other hand is everything but forgettable. This is somewhat of an unique quality, to be able to sell any program you‘re being given and make it work. I have no doubts Alena will sell her vampire program. I‘m actually very sure about that. It still doesn‘t mean I have to be enthusiastic about her music choice. I was - about the original FS. Now that they‘ve changed it, it will be wait and see, definitely. But so far I‘m not impressed. Maybe it will change. But we have to discuss something in the meantime, don‘t we, and for Alena‘s program we at least have something more to base the discussion on, which is an exhibition that she‘s already performed.

SkateSkates

Medalist
It seems that Shabotova will skate for Ukraine. Makes sense for her as she wasn’t likely to get a JGP this season. I wonder if we will see anyone else switch to Ukraine/Belarus/other countries?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
It seems that Shabotova will skate for Ukraine. Makes sense for her as she wasn’t likely to get a JGP this season. I wonder if we will see anyone else switch to Ukraine/Belarus/other countries?

How does it work when you change countries? E.g. Ekaterina Kurakova couldn't compete at Europeans or Worlds for Poland because of some ISU rule. How long is the period before you can compete for your new country?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
How does it work when you change countries? E.g. Ekaterina Kurakova couldn't compete at Europeans or Worlds for Poland because of some ISU rule. How long is the period before you can compete for your new country?

Usually you have to sit out one year

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

If Shabotova hasn't competed internationally for Russia yet (I can't find anything about her doing so, but it's possible), then she can just switch right away.

SkateSkates

Medalist

I believe she can compete in the JGP since she’s been officially released by the Moscow federation. She only became age eligible for junior in the 2019/20 season, and I can’t find any record of her skating in advanced novice internationally last year.