2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 176 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I still don‘t find Juliet to be a very good program to be honest. It was okay and it worked but what made it outstanding was only the way Alena skated to it. I saw it live in Linz. The choreography and music cuts were pretty forgettable. (To be fair, it’s always hard to make any program to one of the ultimate warhorses like R&J memorable given the many we‘ve seen already)

Alena, on the other hand is everything but forgettable. This is somewhat of an unique quality, to be able to sell any program you‘re being given and make it work. I have no doubts Alena will sell her vampire program. I‘m actually very sure about that. It still doesn‘t mean I have to be enthusiastic about her music choice. I was - about the original FS. Now that they‘ve changed it, it will be wait and see, definitely. But so far I‘m not impressed. Maybe it will change. But we have to discuss something in the meantime, don‘t we, and for Alena‘s program we at least have something more to base the discussion on, which is an exhibition that she‘s already performed.

My point is not what you have seen in Linz (I remember that, thank you), but that most dissatisfied voices were silenced throughout the season, fortunately. Also, that Aliona herself liked her free program more than her SP (or at least had nothing against repeating it while she was bored by the SP a little at the end of the season). It was obvious she liked what she was performing in FP. First rule is the skater must be pleased, otherwise she will have more problems with keeping the character, the interpreation will lack etc., I don't think I have to explain. There were so many talks about "freedom" in choosing of the music and themes of the programs (and deficiency of it, because we know that Eteri reigns with steel fist :) ), but at the end it seems that it is is rather fan's own desire than freedom.

I don't know whether I will like that program or not (saying that I'm obviously not a fan of Twilight at all :) ), but I will really wait with any conclusion without necesarilly keeping the discussion in the level of "pre-rejecting" (followed by "I was saying I won't like it", which is the way of some fans that is forming before our eyes - again ;)).

melgirl25

Medalist
I’m not sure using a song from twilight necessarily means she will be portraying a vampire or Bella. I don’t think her FS will just be an extension of her exhibition. I would hope that Danil would be more imaginative than that.

But she is wearing a vampire cape....at least now. I hope so too.

Honestly, I think we can all agree that Alena is definitely not the darling fave of that group and subsequently keeps getting the bottom of the barrel programs or left over programs (pun not intended). Luckily for all of us fans she is so incredible that she makes them look like art. I’m sure she will continue to amaze us this coming season. But I do have to admit I’m not thrilled about the music choices, the first piece is a good call but the Muse bit is going to ruin it. The soundtrack to that movie is quite good and they should definitely open up to losing the Muse bit in favour of some of the more emotional music pieces on offer from the soundtrack.

Edit:
Why haven’t they chosen Bella’s Lullaby? Now that’s a beautiful piece of music from Twilight that they should be using.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I agree so much with this. Personally, I'm not entirely against the idea of a vampire program and I'm not against the music choices at all, but for her to be portraying Bella Swan specifically feels like such a waste. She is a passive, boring character that nobody can ever admire or look up to. She doesn't even do anything. She's more of a lens for people to see the vampire boy in the story and that's about it.

What's more, Twilight is more or less the height of internet cringe culture. I remember there being a time when it was popular, but only for a short while before it started being mainstream to complain about how bad and cringeworthy it was. Why would the coaching team want to associate Alyona with that? I don't get it.

I personally like the soundtrack, but the character and the story she's from...no. And it feels like such a waste on a wonderful skater like Alyona. Of course, there's the possibility that Alyona is just a diehard twilight fan and in that case I guess there's nothing to be done about it.
It was Not that cringe worthy, I loved the books and most of the movies too, besides it was not only popular for a short while but it was popular for years.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I believe she can compete in the JGP since she’s been officially released by the Moscow federation. She only became age eligible for junior in the 2019/20 season, and I can’t find any record of her skating in advanced novice internationally last year.

AFAIK, she's never competed internationally, so should be good to go :)

Also - do we know why the disciplinary measure against the clubs is being taken?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I love the music from the Twilight movie. I listened to the tracks constantly as a teenager lol. I am looking forward to Alena's finished FS. Also I love me a little bit of cringe and cheesiness and I think a lot of viewers as well, I mean Junhwan Cha's programs were pretty memorable and people at the beginning called them cringy (Julieeeeet, Clock moment) or too crazy and then people loved them ;)

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
But she is wearing a vampire cape....at least now. I hope so too.

Props like that aren't allowed in competition, so there will be no cape during the season. I know she's said she's portraying Bella Swan, but I think she's giving more generic vampire and just happens to be skating to the Twilight soundtrack. Alyona is way too tough to portray whiny Bella.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Also - do we know why the disciplinary measure against the clubs is being taken?

For disrupting the competitions and preventing others from competing too due to an insufficient number of actual participants (the clubs mentioned enrolled their athletes and then WD'ed all of them without explanations and proper notification to the organizers).

SkateSkates

Medalist
Honestly, I think we can all agree that Alena is definitely not the darling fave of that group and subsequently keeps getting the bottom of the barrel programs or left over programs (pun not intended). Luckily for all of us fans she is so incredible that she makes them look like art. I’m sure she will continue to amaze us this coming season. But I do have to admit I’m not thrilled about the music choices, the first piece is a good call but the Muse bit is going to ruin it. The soundtrack to that movie is quite good and they should definitely open up to losing the Muse bit in favour of some of the more emotional music pieces on offer from the soundtrack.

Edit:
Why haven’t they chosen Bella’s Lullaby? Now that’s a beautiful piece of music from Twilight that they should be using.

Even though she is not the favorite, I don’t see eteri wanting her to fail (at least not right now). She’s on the main national team, which means maximum funding for eteri and her team. I’m sure team Tutberidze is aiming for 1-2 at Skam, IDF, COC and NHK and 1st at SC and COR. Wouldn’t she rather have all 5 skaters at the GPF? That would be an extraordinary accomplishment.

Maybe she is given lower priority now, but her 17/18 programs were arguably the strongest of the entire group. The Leftovers program was also well received, and Alena requested Juliet on her own.

I am mostly worried she isn’t fully recovered so they will keep the SP and turn the vampire program into a LP. But maybe they made a LP to No One Ever Called Me That but decided it wasn’t working so they’ve switched to plan B? Who knows. Hopefully we will find out if she gives and interview during test skates.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Is this the same Shabotova whom everyone was upset with because she made a joke about Eteri girls doping? We’ll see her on the jgp this season?

Does anyone have a link to her skating, please?

Fluture

Record Breaker
My point is not what you have seen in Linz (I remember that, thank you), but that most dissatisfied voices were silenced throughout the season, fortunately. Also, that Aliona herself liked her free program more than her SP (or at least had nothing against repeating it while she was bored by the SP a little at the end of the season). It was obvious she liked what she was performing in FP. First rule is the skater must be pleased, otherwise she will have more problems with keeping the character, the interpreation will lack etc., I don't think I have to explain. There were so many talks about "freedom" in choosing of the music and themes of the programs (and deficiency of it, because we know that Eteri reigns with steel fist :) ), but at the end it seems that it is is rather fan's own desire than freedom.

I don't know whether I will like that program or not (saying that I'm obviously not a fan of Twilight at all :) ), but I will really wait with any conclusion without necesarilly keeping the discussion in the level of "pre-rejecting" (followed by "I was saying I won't like it", which is the way of some fans that is forming before our eyes - again ;)).

See, we all know you're a fan of Team Tutberidze. That's great. But not everything people say is against them and not everything is about "silencing dissatisfied voices" either. The discussion about Aliona's FS last season was similar to what we have now:

Off-season, lack of competitions and announcements of programs causing more passionate discussions than they usually would. There are always different opinions and so far I have seen no one being the least bit disrespectful like you are implying here - and not even in a subtle way at that. If you choose to see anything negative in these discussions, by any means, do that. Nobody forces you to take part in what you see only as "pre-rejecting" anyway. Ironically enough, we were just talking about Alina's music choice yesterday. And most people were pretty positive about it. So much for that then. But oh well.

I, for one, have clearly said that as Aliona's fan I will enjoy her skating no matter what kind of program she chooses. I have also said that as long as she's healthy and happy, I will (gladly) take any program, including the Twilight program, even if it's not to my taste. In fact, I don't think it needs explaining that people would rather see skaters happy but skating to something they as fans might personally not love than having them unhappy with something else. I frankly don't see where you could possibly interpret people wanting Aliona to only choose programs to their taste or them screaming about the lack of "freedom" if she doesn't. Bit of a reach, don't you think? :confused:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Is this the same Shabotova whom everyone was upset with because she made a joke about Eteri girls doping? We’ll see her on the jgp this season?

Yes, I think she is very talented and am excited to see her on the JGP. I think she actually had a really good chance at a spot for Russia next year once Gubanova, Tarusina, and likely Tarakanova move up. Sinitsyna, Kanysheva, and Vasilieva could also move up depending on how this season goes.

Georgya

On the Ice

Edit:

1. I don't think that the majority here agrees with you (not to mention all of "US"). Alena had during the last two seasons one of the best programs not only from Eteri's group but from all russian ladies and they are quite a few. She may seem "in the shadow" for some people because Anna and Alexandra have quads and steal the show. With QUADS, not with BETTER programs than Alena.

2. People are so funny here when a skater announces the music. They transfer all their dislikes and criticism around a piece of music (movie, book) on the skater and seem to forget that songs are just vehicles for skaters, to express something new. It's their vision of something. Anna's music got criticised because is about a murderer, Alexandra's because a character took a 180 degree turn and got crazy, Alina because ( kid you not) cultural appropriation. I mean we demand originality but overreact to even the tiniest detail. I suppose it's fashionable to be outraged all the time about every silly thing.

PS. It's this or some people (a minority) unfairly transfer their dislikes of Eteri and Daniil to these girls which is crazy. :noshake:

Based on what? ... So, I keep the honestly part from your sentence everything else is ...

Your response makes no sense. It’s my opinion based on what I have viewed over the past few seasons. I don’t think you get to police my opinion. But it’s fine by me if you don’t share it. Let’s stop distracting from the conversation with petty personal digs now huh?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
See, we all know you're a fan of Team Tutberidze. That's great.

Will all due respect, I feel like when people start sentences like that they try to say "you're a fan, hence you lack objectivity".
You wouldn't like if someone told you, "well, you're a fan of Medvedeva. That's great. But I think your criticism is a bit of a reach." =)
Everyone's a fan of someone here, so I don't know how that delegitimizes their opinions. :)

And I think you misunderstood Flanker. He was trying to say "Let's give it some more time" with giving an example of last year's program becoming better as season went on.
I agree that in summer programs are always a little undertrained and rough. Moreover, she was doing a 'show' version of a program.
Evgenia also took her EX program Karenina and it became her competitive program, and imo the changes between her EX and her competitive program were quite big.

1. I don't think that the majority here agrees with you (not to mention all of "US"). Alena had during the last two seasons one of the best programs not only from Eteri's group but from all russian ladies and they are quite a few. She may seem "in the shadow" for some people because Anna and Alexandra have quads and steal the show. With QUADS, not with BETTER programs than Alena.

2. People are so funny here when a skater announces the music. They transfer all their dislikes and criticism around a piece of music (movie, book) on the skater and seem to forget that songs are just vehicles for skaters, to express something new. It's their vision of something. Anna's music got criticised because is about a murderer, Alexandra's because a character took a 180 degree turn and got crazy, Alina because ( kid you not) cultural appropriation. I mean we demand originality but overreact to even the tiniest detail. I suppose it's fashionable to be outraged all the time about every silly thing.

PS. It's this or some people (a minority) unfairly transfer their dislikes of Eteri and Daniil to these girls which is crazy. :noshake:

Not sure what you’re trying to get at here. Are you accusing me of disliking or being hateful toward Danil or Eteri because I don’t agree with the music choices given to one of my favourite skaters? An opinion which I am entitled to express and I’m sure others share?

Wait, what?
I can’t speak Russian minus a few words. What made her accuse them of doping? That’s a pretty big accusation for such a little person to be making!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Wait, what?
I can’t speak Russian minus a few words. What made her accuse them of doping? That’s a pretty big accusation for such a little person to be making!

She made a joke about skaters doping with chocolate. Media took the quote out of context and made it seem like she really meant doping.