2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 178 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

peeches726

Rinkside
I'm a nerd - so what are nerds doing? Well, compiling medal lists for example.

Here is a list of Russian ladies from 1993-2019 who have medals from GP events, European Championships, World Championships, Olympic Games, Junior World Championships and Russian Senior Nationals. JGP, Junior Russian Nationals and Team events are NOT included.

1. Irina Slutskaya - 59 medals
2. Maria Butyrskaya - 39
3. Elena Sokolova - 22
4. Evgenia Medvedeva - 21
5. Viktoria Volchkova - 20
5. Elena Radionova - 20
5. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - 20
8. Adelina Sotnikova - 16
9. Yulia Lipnitskaya - 14
10. Alina Zagitova - 13
10. Anna Pogorilaya - 13
12. Alena Leonova - 12
13. Julia Soldatova - 10
14. Olga Markova - 9
15. Maria Sotskova - 8
16. Elena Ivanova - 4 (this is a strange one, all medals are from junior worlds)
17. Alexandra Trusova - 3
17. Alena Kostornaia - 3
17. Sofia Samodurova - 3
20. Serafima Sakhanovich, Kristina Oblasova, Anna Shcherbakova, Lilia Biktagirova, Ksenia Doronina, Ksenia Makarova - 2 medals
26. Elena Pingacheva, Nadezda Kanaeva, Daria Timoshenko, Polina Agafonova, Tatiana Basova, Alexandra Ievleva, Nina Petushkova, Olga Naidenova, Katarina Gerboldt, Polina Tsurskaya, Stanislava Konstantinova - 1 medal

Note: Maria Butyrskaya and Olga Markova was active before the GP was created. Maria has a win at Skate Canada in 1992 and Olga has a 2nd place from Skate Canada in 1993 that are not counted here.

Elena Ivanova was indeed a strange situation... talented jumper... triple Lutz triple toe... prolific for years on the world junior stage... wonder why she was kept junior after winning gold in 96? She skated a few senior events in the fall of 98 ... finished dead last at 98 NHK... was 98 junior worlds after that? Or would that have been earlier that year? At any rate she vanished after that NHK... reportedly due to injury but who knows if that was true...

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Elena Ivanova was indeed a strange situation... talented jumper... triple Lutz triple toe... prolific for years on the world junior stage... wonder why she was kept junior after winning gold in 96? She skated a few senior events in the fall of 98 ... finished dead last at 98 NHK... was 98 junior worlds after that? Or would that have been earlier that year? At any rate she vanished after that NHK... reportedly due to injury but who knows if that was true...

Yes it is very strange. Someone who has 4 consecutive junior world medals and never made it as a senior. Is that a Russian thing? That some Russian girls burn out fast? Do we have any examples of successful juniors who didn't make it at the senior level from other nations?

Scott512

Record Breaker

Here is a list of Russian ladies from 1993-2019 who have medals from GP events, European Championships, World Championships, Olympic Games, Junior World Championships and Russian Senior Nationals. JGP, Junior Russian Nationals and Team events are NOT included.

2. Maria Butyrskaya - 39
3. Elena Sokolova - 22
5. Elena Radionova - 20
10. Alina Zagitova - 13
10. Anna Pogorilaya - 13
12. Alena Leonova - 12
13. Julia Soldatova - 10
14. Olga Markova - 9
15. Maria Sotskova - 8
16. Elena Ivanova - 4 (this is a strange one, all medals are from junior worlds)
17. Alena Kostornaia - 3
17. Sofia Samodurova - 3
20. Serafima Sakhanovich, Kristina Oblasova, Anna Shcherbakova, Lilia Biktagirova, Ksenia Doronina, Ksenia Makarova - 2 medals
26. Elena Pingacheva, Nadezda Kanaeva, Daria Timoshenko, Polina Agafonova, Tatiana Basova, Alexandra Ievleva, Nina Petushkova, Olga Naidenova, Katarina Gerboldt, Polina Tsurskaya, Stanislava Konstantinova - 1 medal

Note: Maria Butyrskaya and Olga Markova was active before the GP was created. Maria has a win at Skate Canada in 1992 and Olga has a 2nd place from Skate Canada in 1993 that are not counted here.

Damn Irina was so good really great in some people's eyes. She was the best Russinas ever until Zhenya and Alina showed up. If Irina only one won Olympic gold medal she would even be ahead of Alina at this point. No doubt they the three best ladies Russia has produced at this point.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Damn Irina was so good really great in some people's eyes. She was the best Russinas ever until Zhenya and Alina showed up. If Irina only one won Olympic gold medal she would even be ahead of Alina at this point. No doubt they the three best ladies Russia has produced at this point.

Irina should have won gold at the Olympics 2002 if the judges had done their job correctly.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Yes it is very strange. Someone who has 4 consecutive junior world medals and never made it as a senior. Is that a Russian thing? That some Russian girls burn out fast? Do we have any examples of successful juniors who didn't make it at the senior level from other nations?

Caroline Zhang (USA) was three times junior medalist (including gold). Never qualified for Senior worlds. This is an example from recent years, you have more of that in the past (and in other categories). E: There was also a Japanese girl who won Juniors World but ended her seniors carreer because of injury (i cant recall her name right now, sorry). Also, im waiting to see what Marin Honda will do, she was quite good as junior (on pair with Alina). Not so good transition to seniors sadly :(

Irina IS ahead of both Evgenia and Alina, to me. By a country mile. But then I'm a huge Slutskaya fan, so...

There was also a Japanese girl who won Juniors World but ended her seniors carreer because of injury (i cant recall her name right now, sorry).

Yukina Ota. She did win a senior 4 Continents title before she succombed to injury.

Beautiful and soulful skater. Later she had a long career as a show/professional performer. I think she still appears occasionally. (?)

Last edited:

Fluture

Record Breaker
No one should aspire to skate as Bella Swan aka Mary Sue.

I‘m not entirely familiar with the term but isn‘t a Mary Sue a character in a story who can do no wrong? Given that most elite skaters are huge perfectionists, they probably strive to be just like that. :biggrin:

Edit: Just looked it up. Seems like Mary Sues can do wrong just are never “punished“ for their actions and everyone loves them no matter what they do. So, the skating equivalent would be for someone to get high PCS while doing nothing to deserve them. That‘s interesting. :devil:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Irina IS ahead of both Evgenia and Alina, to me. By a country mile. But then I'm a huge Slutskaya fan, so...

Alina has surpassed Irina do to her winning all the major Junior and senior titles by the time she was 16. That is unprecedented. But I also put Irina very high up there on the pedestal. She was very good for a very long time and longevity is important too.

TA91

Rinkside
Alina has surpassed Irina do to her winning all the major Junior and senior titles by the time she was 16. That is unprecedented. But I also put Irina very high up there on the pedestal. She was very good for a very long time and longevity is important too.

Interesting, while I do think Irina comes out on top due to several reasons, Alina's accomplishments are definitely notable and are a strong basis for such an opinion.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Poor Elena Ivanova. She looked like she should be on the Olympic discus throwing team. I forget which competition it was, maybe Centennial 1996 and Peter Caruthers would just not STOP commenting on her lack of grace! I vaguely remember an ED was mentioned later on. Also Pingacheva looked to be a future star and fizzled too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

2. Maria Butyrskaya - 39
3. Elena Sokolova - 22
5. Elena Radionova - 20
10. Alina Zagitova - 13
10. Anna Pogorilaya - 13
12. Alena Leonova - 12
13. Julia Soldatova - 10
14. Olga Markova - 9
15. Maria Sotskova - 8
17. Alena Kostornaia - 3
17. Sofia Samodurova - 3

Thank you for being a nerd. Irina is going to be hard to break especially with the limited career span of most Russian ladies.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Why I'm quite sure Liza or Sofia could make it appropriate for a Russian lady? ;) :slink:

To me, her original SP didn't seem that different in style than Sofia's burlesque program. It just wasn't right for Zhenya, but I think she may be able to expand her style in different ways in the future.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Why I'm quite sure Liza or Sofia could make it appropriate for a Russian lady? ;) :slink:

C'mon, "inappropriate program for for a russian lady" is equal to "what russian lady had a program that didn't fit her particularly the most of all?" It's not about specifics of nationality, but this is a russian ladies thread, right? And we talked about criticism targeted on particular skaters or teams. And I say that this program was completely out of place for this skater, yet her fans spent so much time on criticizing other programs, which, I can honestly sa, the other side didn't do, definitely not in such amount.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Edit: Also, I don't think I would be blind to some things. Like in the case of Bad Guy, immediately I heard the song I said I don't like it at all :) (not because of the affairs, which came after, but because I really didn't like it, so despite I was defending Daniil later, I would not mind at all if the program would be changed completely).

So you spent ages ranting on dissatisfaction about music choices without seeing the program first, and you just admitted you did that exact same thing with Alina's EX. Lol.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
So you spent ages ranting on dissatisfaction about music choices without seeing the program first, and you just admitted you did that exact same thing with Alina's EX. Lol.

The song, not the program. Now I've seen the program, before I've seen it I did not comment the program.