2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 185 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
I perceive "that one poster", moriel to be specific, as a user who contributes to this forum very much, makes perfect translations for us all and often making good points. Don't see her as a biased person and if she makes a claim that matters e. g. Medvedeva in a negative way, than it is not unprovoked useless claim. But I am one user with subjective opinion, of course.

Oh, come on. While there are those who appreciate moriel's contribution, she has used the "h" word in reference to herself towards Zhenya in one thread that she started (translating an Zhenya interview originally in Russian after Worlds). I was trying to look for that thread, somehow it disappeared? It was in response to another poster's reply to the thread (it was el_henry, the exchange was not unfriendly). I take no issue with moriel not liking Zhenya - its a free world, there's plenty of other skaters to like! And there are plenty of us who like Zhenya :luv17: But let's just not be disingenuous. People do pay attention, and remember things that others write (even if, like in this this case, the thread disappeared).

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Oh, come on. While there are those who appreciate moriel's contribution, she has used the "h" word in reference to herself towards Zhenya in one thread that she started (translating an Zhenya interview originally in Russian after Worlds). I was trying to look for that thread, somehow it disappeared? It was in response to another poster's reply to the thread (it was el_henry, the exchange was not unfriendly). I take no issue with moriel not liking Zhenya - its a free world, there's plenty of other skaters to like! And there are plenty of us who like Zhenya :luv17: But let's just not be disingenuous. People do pay attention, and remember things that others write.

Opinions are a subject of change.
Someone writing something once does not mean it's never going to change. It can change from negative to neutral.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
So guys, in short. I know you feel I hate certain skaters.
But there is this thing - when i judge them in competition, i try to operate on facts and judges opinions as much as i can.

So when I say Zhenya's jumps and transitions were messy last season, its not because I dislike her, but because judges gave her 4 x 3V calls, 1x 3 call, 1x 2call and 1 x 1V call.
O, she has a back injury. (Tuktamysheva competed more and got just 5 lv3 spins last season if i didnt count wrong)
But what about lv3 step sequences? She got 7 stsq3 calls, out of 9 in her senior career. Numbers. Tuktamysheva (and we joke a lot here about Mishin choreo, or lack of it, got 8 stsq3 this season).

(and yes, i wonder how long it will take for the moderators to figure out that i troll other users by bringing numbers)

Thanks for the statistics! I also enjoy looking at raw data a lot =)

moriel

Record Breaker
Oh, come on. While there are those who appreciate moriel's contribution, she has used the "h" word in reference to herself towards Zhenya in one thread that she started (translating an Zhenya interview originally in Russian after Worlds). I was trying to look for that thread, somehow it disappeared? It was in response to another poster's reply to the thread (it was el_henry, the exchange was not unfriendly). I take no issue with moriel not liking Zhenya - its a free world, there's plenty of other skaters to like! And there are plenty of us who like Zhenya :luv17: But let's just not be disingenuous. People do pay attention, and remember things that others write (even if, like in this this case, the thread disappeared).

Just in case, making it clear: I use the h word in reference to myself because people basically started calling me that after bringing in some objective remarks (which is the case when it pisses me off, like when I make a list based on numbers and people say I hate a skater for not putting her higher in the list, or a ridiculous case that happened somewhere on this forum, when I said Zhenya URd in a competition, and a user started bashing me for hating her. The UR was in the protocols).

Its just that I feel we need balance - if there are non objective fans, we need h people too. Light and Darkness, Good and Evil, blablabla =)

melgirl25

Medalist
Just in case, making it clear: I use the h word in reference to myself because people basically started calling me that after bringing in some objective remarks (which is the case when it pisses me off, like when I make a list based on numbers and people say I hate a skater for not putting her higher in the list, or a ridiculous case that happened somewhere on this forum, when I said Zhenya URd in a competition, and a user started bashing me for hating her. The UR was in the protocols).

Its just that I feel we need balance - if there are non objective fans, we need h people too. Light and Darkness, Good and Evil, blablabla =)

Statistics and ranking lists are great but let's think of the context. You have said things in the past that have at least lead me to think you don't like her - critical of her facial expressions and "attitude" (at Worlds ceremony for example), wanting her not make GPF so TAT implodes, usually finding something negative in things she says and especially when it comes to her split with Eteri. Am I going to search through golden skate and look for comments - No. But I bet if we took a poll most people would think you don't like Zhenya - based on that and NOT the posts you make about ranking and statistics.

Anyway, that is all I will say.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
I disagree with quite a few of these, like defining inconsistent a skater who made literally 3 mistakes in the entire season, so this is my list

Group A
Zagitova - Olympic Champion, speed and transitions, reputation, unrefined artistry
Medvedeva - 2 times world champion, Olympic silver medalist, reputation, improving artistry, inconsistency with jumps and spins.
Tuktamysheva - Best jumping technique, 3A, consistency, lack of skating skills
Samodurova - European Champion, performance, consistency

Group B (they might well be A but they need to prove it on the senior circuit yet)

Trusova - quads, transitions, unpolished
Shcherbakova - great musicality and grace, 4ltz, a bit inconsistent
Kostornaya - Performance, consistency and jumps but no 3A or quads.
Konstantinova - inconsistency

Group C - some of them could be B but they are C due to lack of reputation or inconsistent results.

Sakhanovich - a bit inconsistent, but she got her GP spot.
Tarakanova - she is ready for seniors for me, but we'll see after the coach change.
Gubanova - she bombed those 2-3 events where she really needed to stay clean, inconsistent levels on the spins, some underrotation
Guliakova - same as Gubanova but with better jumping technique, better spins and worse artistry.
Tarusina - performance, consistency, borderline UR jumps, slow spins
Nugumanova - artistry, great spinner, inconsistent
Vasilieva - consistency, lack of performance.
Talalaykina - same as Gubanova and Guliakova on bombing key events, she also tends to UR her jumps sometimes.
Sotskova - let's say until Worlds 2018 she was in Group B, but if i have to rate last season it would be an F. Hopefully she can recover in this one.

Eteri's 3As will get in Group A once they achieve something in seniors, we shouldn't praise them for something that isn't there yet.

I agree almost with all except I think Sofia should be in group B and under 3A. She is just weaker then them almost in anything. Afterall a title doesn't make you an elite level skater.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I agree almost with all except I think Sofia should be in group B and under 3A. She is just weaker then them almost in anything. Afterall a title doesn't make you an elite level skater.

Agreed but the thing is she has a status, 3A don't quite have yet. (they most likely will by the end of this season though)

Imagine if Shcherbakova bombs her SP at Skate America, she is a newcomer, marks won't be high if you start with a bad program she might not even end up on the podium. I'm not saying it will happen, but it can, we are human after all.

While you have to give credit to Samodurova that as 11th at Nationals the year before she came at Skate America and medalled against all odds, if she throws a triple axel by the end of this season (they are working on it among other things) she will stay competitive.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Agreed but the thing is she has a status, 3A don't quite have yet. (they most likely will by the end of this season though)

Imagine if Shcherbakova bombs her SP at Skate America, she is a newcomer, marks won't be high if you start with a bad program she might not even end up on the podium.

While you have to give credit to Samodurova that as 11th at Nationals the year before she came at Skate America and medalled against all odds, if she throws a triple axel by the end of this season (they are working on it among other things) she will stay competitive.

I agree that the 3A will have to compete in seniors first before we can crown them but I have to say that they enter the season with more of a status than Sofia last year. She was a complete surprise at her first GP, whereas the 3A have been getting a lot of attention, especially for juniors. Anna‘s and Sasha‘s quads were all over the news. They are, contrary to Sofia, expected to at least medal at both their GPs.

And I‘m not sure Anna would bomb her SP. She took out the 3Lz+3Lo and since then she‘s been incredibly consistent with it. Everything can happen, of course but unless she really tries to include a 3A in the SP at her first GP, I can‘t see it. But that‘s just what if scenarios, I understand that.

About Sofia: I like her. She has guts. Her Euros FS is one of my favourite moments last season. Unfortunately, though, the Euros Gold didn‘t help her all too much at Worlds, her PCS were still pretty low. If she managed to pull off a 3A, that would be amazing. But most important for her, would be, imo, to get programs that the judges will like - meaning, more transitions. Then, if she stays consistent and maybe adds a bit more difficult combos, she could build on the momentum from last year and stay relevant. I certainly hope so because she was such a great surprise last season. Maybe she can do it again. :)

theharleyquinn

Medalist

Imagine if Shcherbakova bombs her SP at Skate America, she is a newcomer, marks won't be high if you start with a bad program she might not even end up on the podium. I'm not saying it will happen, but it can, we are human after all.

The 3A do have pretty high status. They excelled on the junior circuit and they're coached by Eteri. In the grand scheme, I don't know if Sofia's Euros win means enough that she'll be so ahead of them at the beginning of the season, and medals on the GP (not the GPF) on their own aren't enough to really create lasting reputation so her Skate America win shouldn't mean that much now.

Mawwerg

Final Flight

Of course anything can happen with Anna at Skate America. But Anna's results will not influence quality of Sofia's skating. Sofia skated brilliantly at Europeans and scored 213 and this 213 are very close to the limit of her current scoring potential while Sasha for example scored more than 213 at every competition last year even without a choreo sequence. I will not say there is an abyss between Sofia and Alina, Elizaveta and Evgenia but there is a really big gap between them and just a triple axel will not help her to significally improve her scores like it didn't help Mirai Nagasu with hers. She should improve quality of almost every element of her skating to be competitive with the best.

SkateSkates

Medalist
What do you guys think the strategy will be for Sasha and Anna’s program layouts in their GPs? Do you think they will play it “safe” and just go for 1 quad each (maybe 2 for Sasha) or try to go for records with multiple quads? I am inclined to think they might play it on the safer side in order to qualify for the final, but who knows. It will be very different than in juniors where it didn’t matter if they messed up their quads because they were so far ahead of the competition the were going to win anyway.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
What do you guys think the strategy will be for Sasha and Anna’s program layouts in their GPs? Do you think they will play it “safe” and just go for 1 quad each (maybe 2 for Sasha) or try to go for records with multiple quads? I am inclined to think they might play it on the safer side in order to qualify for the final, but who knows. It will be very different than in juniors where it didn’t matter if they messed up their quads because they were so far ahead of the competition the were going to win anyway.

It's too early to discuss it. Test skates should clarify something.

theharleyquinn

Medalist

As long as Anna and Sasha don't have 3A, they'll have to have their quads ready for the free especially since we don't know where their PCS will be. It would be a bad idea to all of a sudden do the hardest layout at the GPF (they may not be able to make the GPF if they don't depending on how some of the GPs go). Japan Open will give us some more info.

Fluture

Record Breaker

I think 1 quad for Anna. 4Lz. And maybe later in the season, after the GPF, she could introduce the 4F. Two quads of the same type seems incredibly risky because you risk not getting to do one in combo and having +REP. Sasha will go for at least two, I think. I‘d say 4Lz and 4T at the beginning of the season. If it goes well, maybe a second 4T. She mentioned before that warming up 3 different quads is difficult, so even though we know that she can do all types of quads other than the 4Lo (and 4A obviously), I don‘t think she‘s likely to include them in her programs (yet). It would be interesting to know what the state of their 3A is. Daniil talked very seriously about it, that they plan to really train it in the off-season and have it ready for all three girls by the beginning of the new season. Depending on the 3A, the amounts of quads could change too.

For example, I could see Sasha doing 4T + 4Lz + 3A in her FS and a 3A in the SP. That would be more than enough. It sounds like an incredibly risky layout already....

If she has two 3As, she could even cancel the 4Lz altogether. It hasn‘t been too consistent and maybe it would be better to wait before introducing it. But then again, that‘s not like Sasha at all. She wants to be the first at doing something. Lil‘Bet already took her chance to be the first senior lady to land a quad so I can imagine she‘ll want to be the first to land two, or the first to land 4Lz and 4T...

Overall, though this is just speculating. We will see at test skates what their layout looks like.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The 3A do have pretty high status. They excelled on the junior circuit and they're coached by Eteri. In the grand scheme, I don't know if Sofia's Euros win means enough that she'll be so ahead of them at the beginning of the season, and medals on the GP (not the GPF) on their own aren't enough to really create lasting reputation so her Skate America win shouldn't mean that much now.

yeah but i mean she is no longer a debutant, score will go higher if she shows improvements, and the same is true from 3A. I do agree that eventually this season 3A might surpass Samodurova.

First event is key for a debutant, often it determines the range of scores, Shcherbakova and Trusova have arguargbly the toughest competitions, especially Anna she doesn't have much room for mistakes cause she is competing at two very tough events, at least Trusova can rely on the second GP at home.

While for Kostornaya my only concern is how judges will react to that Twilight free skate (i'd have kept it as SP personally, as it is also called the technical program, free skate you want to see something that enhance your strenghts, in her case, the elegance)