2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 191 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I think ... Eteri uses Daniil because he know's how to do a program that benefits the skater ... maybe they don't have the best music cut ... but every eteri's skater owns the program ...

Look at Zhenya ... her SP last season didn't suit her ... but when she was with Eteri ... she own the programs even with voices and mimics

The other SP from Misha suited her well, the OCS may have suited somebody else but for Medvedeva it was completely out of place, a step to a completely wrong direction. That is also proof of my point, choreographer should know skater closely (character, strong and weak points) before making a program for her.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think ... Eteri uses Daniil because he know's how to do a program that benefits the skater ... maybe they don't have the best music cut ... but every eteri's skater owns the program ...

Look at Zhenya ... her SP last season didn't suit her ... but when she was with Eteri ... she own the programs even with voices and mimics

Most choreographers do that; Evgenia's program last year wasn't a poorly choreographed program - the problem was the execution of it - she had never really branched out of a certain style prior to that and never particularly sold it, maybe it was too much with uprooting her entire life and recovering from injury to do a different style program. But I give her kudos for trying something different.

Eteri comes off as person that wants to control and I think that's why Daniil gets used for most all of their choreography, he works for her at Sambo she has a lot more control over him than if xyz choreographer comes in to do a few programs.

Fluture

Record Breaker
The other SP from Misha suited her well, the OCS may have suited somebody else but for Medvedeva it was completely out of place, a step to a completely wrong direction. That is also proof of my point, choreographer should know skater closely (character, strong and weak points) before making a program for her.

As we saw at test skates and in training, OCS could have worked really well for Zhenya. She is capable of interpreting such a program. Like it was said in a different thread, it was the right program at the wrong time. They wanted too many changes too soon, which was a mistake, yes. Happens when you don’t know a skater well yet. But that‘s a natural part of every collaboration, you need to get to know each other first. Zhenya and her team didn‘t have a whole lot of time last year. Now they know her better and I think Zhenya knows herself better too, so they decide together which programs fit her best at which moment of her career. So, the conclusion from this is not to never change and risk anything (or only work with choreographers that you know really well right from the start) but to learn from the mistakes you make and evolve. That‘s at least how I see it. :)

Georgya

On the Ice
Most choreographers do that; Evgenia's program last year wasn't a poorly choreographed program - the problem was the execution of it - she had never really branched out of a certain style prior to that and never particularly sold it, maybe it was too much with uprooting her entire life and recovering from injury to do a different style program. But I give her kudos for trying something different.

Eteri comes off as person that wants to control and I think that's why Daniil gets used for most all of their choreography, he works for her at Sambo she has a lot more control over him than if xyz choreographer comes in to do a few programs.

I disagree. Eteri could adopt Mishin's tactics - use a foreign choreo to create a program than strip that program empty to accommodate better jumps - but in reverse. They could add more to a program already created.

Maybe is money, maybe it's to avoid conflicts, long trips etc. The fact is that Eteri's team has a vision for every skater, knows the girls better than most and knows how to construct a program in the advantage of that particular skater. Like many said here, why change something that brings success and medals. Maybe this will change if problems hit

zounger

Medalist
I think the main reason is the cost. Why to spend 15000 $ for a program when you can achieve similar results with an in house choreographer.

Grin

Medalist
I think the main reason is the cost. Why to spend 15000 $ for a program when you can achieve similar results with an in house choreographer.
they can also use some ja ja bink's moves or whatever, just kidding

Resa

On the Ice
Well, Daniil probably gets a monthly fee that probably adds up over 15000$ a year. Compare that to a one-time cost of 15000$- I doubt that It is cheaper to have a permanent in-house choreographer. In addition to that you also have to pay insurance for him etc... I really believe it is cheaper the way Mishin does it.

Wombat1800

On the Ice

Is $15,000 a normal price for a program from a top choreographer? I've always been curious of how much it typically costs to get programs choreographed.

zounger

Medalist
Well, Daniil probably gets a monthly fee that probably adds up over 15000$ a year. Compare that to a one-time cost of 15000$- I doubt that It is cheaper to have a permanent in-house choreographer. In addition to that you also have to pay insurance for him etc... I really believe it is cheaper the way Mishin does it.

So you saying for example that Liza spend less money with her travel to US for a week? to Shae-Lynn for her SP than Anna Schcerbakova spent for her SP on Daniil? Or I don't get what you are saying?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The cheapest variant is not having coach/choreographer at all :devil:

But I like the idea that all the girls, incl. juniors, novices pay each so much to one man :laugh2:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I know that some posters here whom I respect, like moriel, have made up their mind. I am still struggling. Medvedeva was kind of an idol for me. I was a big fan, I furiously defended her on this board, I was very sad when she did not win in Korea. But now... Things that she says sometimes just do not help me to be on her side. Why does she need to tell the whole world how she is happy now vs. what was before? I just don't get it.

"I am feeling absolutely comfortable and at home at the Cricket Club. I feel like I've been skating there for many years. I have a good relationship with absolutely everyone there. This is something I've dreamed about my whole life, to come to my workplace like to a family home. It is a very cozy environment. I want to go back there again and again. This environment motivates you to work more, because you don't want to leave the rink,” Evgenia shared. “Before the rink was more like a work place for me. Sometimes it was though, the rink was associated with hard work, now the rink is associated with work that is enjoyable. You are doing everything for yourself.”

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...-in-her-skating-and-her-life?templateParam=15

moriel

Record Breaker

I see 3 things:
1. cost, specially for juniors. Its a big deal, and not everybody can afford that.
2. additional travels. its unlikely that a top choreographer will travel to their location, and that means the skater needs to travel somewhere overseas, stay there for a couple of days and then come back. That sort of disturbs the training, so if it can be avoided...
3. they heavily focus on selecting programs that will highlight strengths of each skater. That means that the choreographer must know the skater well, or someone from the team must work together with the choreographer, which most tops won't accept.

And if to do it Mishin style, get choreo and then heavily rework it, it kind of makes no sense for team Eteri - Daniil&Eteri choreo is liked by judges anyways, so there is no special need to bring some big name in order to increase PCs, and it will be basically money spent, time spent, training disturbed, to end up with a program that has a huge chunk of Daniil's and Eteri's work

Ziotic

Medalist
I know that some posters here whom I respect, like moriel, have made up their mind. I am still struggling. Medvedeva was kind of an idol for me. I was a big fan, I furiously defended her on this board, I was very sad when she did not win in Korea. But now... Things that she says sometimes just do not help me to be on her side. Why does she need to tell the whole world how she is happy now vs. what was before? I just don't get it.

"I am feeling absolutely comfortable and at home at the Cricket Club. I feel like I've been skating there for many years. I have a good relationship with absolutely everyone there. This is something I've dreamed about my whole life, to come to my workplace like to a family home. It is a very cozy environment. I want to go back there again and again. This environment motivates you to work more, because you don't want to leave the rink,” Evgenia shared. “Before the rink was more like a work place for me. Sometimes it was though, the rink was associated with hard work, now the rink is associated with work that is enjoyable. You are doing everything for yourself.”

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...-in-her-skating-and-her-life?templateParam=15

How can her speaking the truth of her situation make you dislike her. Would you prefer she lie?

It’s disgusting to think that a woman being honest and open is viewed in any sort of negative light and only perpetuates horrible stereotypes of the oppression she may have been feeling in her previous environment.

If this is how you want to treat a strong independent woman, she surely doesn’t need you as a fan.

Georgya

On the Ice

My advice: don't get too bothered by her interviews. Sometimes, I feel she is trying too hard to convince herself and other people who questioned her choices that she made the best decision. Be happy for her, she is still very young, and has that puerile arrogance particular to teenagers. I think that we gonna find what she really feels when she retires, maybe after 5-6 years.

It's wrong to hold it against her. Maybe/ hopefully she really is in a better place, she feels more herself, we don't get to know for sure, because she didn't said she felt bad in interviews during Eteri years either so... It's her right to express herself and to say what she thinks she feels in interviews.

Funny thing - I remember I used to read this forum pretty often but I decided to make an account only after getting so mad at a poster a couple of years ago. It was after the 9/11 program, some american here wrote that he/she wants to spit Evgenia in her face for that program. I had enough, I saw red, I logged in and defended her furiously. :laugh:

No russian should feel angry at Evgenia because of this, it's a normal thing, it says more about her, not about Russia, neither paints Russia/Eteri bad. At least for me. Evgenia's situation reminds me of a romanian football player who got transferred to 4 teams ( the best of our league) in the space of 5 years and every time he said he is in the best place, felt at home, he dreamed about that team since he was little. Among the fans were chaos and hate :laugh:

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany

Because they asked her? Because it is her right to say it. If she now really feels like cricket is her family than she can say it out loud, . What I also ask myself still to this day why a over fourth year old adult woman needs to drag the name of ex students through the mud. And zhenya didn't say that much for the entire year . While said adult said more than enough. . She described the rink at Russia that she saw it as a work place because I think that's is the mentality you have in Russia, that it is what you do work work and work where in Canada it is probably a more realxed atmosphere, international atmosphere too, she describes it as such. She describes the difference. But i think most of you probably don't want to understand or even think about the fact that this what was the right step for zhenya, mentally. The thing is also that someone recently told the press that apparently zhenya did indeed come to the rink with flowers but that eteri wasn't there at this time. If that is indeed true and I say if cause we do not know it , than the entire hell many gave zhenya for daring to not bring flowers was for nothing, including in this forum. Than another person may have lied to the press when stating that zhenya didn't bring flowers or at least did not say the entire truth. And that is all I will say about that cause no I do not have the nerve for another discussion of how I hate said trainer. No I do not hate or dislike eteri I just do not like some of the things she did, like dragging the name of her ex student who was her absolute favorite through the mud. Yes she may have been angry and as said many times by myself both sides were at fault, but for God's sake this is an adult woman who probably did know very well how this would get taken when she told the things she did to the press.

Georgya

On the Ice
I see 3 things:
1. cost, specially for juniors. Its a big deal, and not everybody can afford that.
2. additional travels. its unlikely that a top choreographer will travel to their location, and that means the skater needs to travel somewhere overseas, stay there for a couple of days and then come back. That sort of disturbs the training, so if it can be avoided...
3. they heavily focus on selecting programs that will highlight strengths of each skater. That means that the choreographer must know the skater well, or someone from the team must work together with the choreographer, which most tops won't accept.

And if to do it Mishin style, get choreo and then heavily rework it, it kind of makes no sense for team Eteri - Daniil&Eteri choreo is liked by judges anyways, so there is no special need to bring some big name in order to increase PCs, and it will be basically money spent, time spent, training disturbed, to end up with a program that has a huge chunk of Daniil's and Eteri's work

Thanks for clarifying this! I agree with all your points! I didn't contest the fact that Daniil/Eteri choreo is the best choice for the ladies in this team :)

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
My advice: don't get too bothered by her interviews. Sometimes, I feel she is trying too hard to convince herself and other people who questioned her choices that she made the best decision. Be happy for her, she is still very young, and has that puerile arrogance particular to teenagers. I think that we gonna find what she really feels when she retires, maybe after 5-6 years.

It's wrong to hold it against her. Maybe/ hopefully she really is in a better place, she feels more herself, we don't get to know for sure, because she didn't said she felt bad in interviews during Eteri years either so... It's her right to express herself and to say what she think she feels in interviews.

Funny thing - I remember I used to read this forum pretty often but I decided to make an account only after getting so mad at a poster a couple of years ago. It was after the 9/11 program, some american here wrote that he/she wants to spit Evgenia in her face for that program. I had enough, I saw red, I logged in and defended her furiously. [emoji23]

No russian should feel angry at Evgenia because of this, it's a normal thing, it says more about her, not about Russia, neither paints Russia/Eteri bad. At least for me. Evgenia's situation reminds me of a romanian football player who got transferred to 4 teams ( the best of our league) in the space of 5 years and every time he said he is in the best place, felt at home, he dreamed about that team since he was little. Among the fans ware chaos and hate [emoji23]
I think that at the moment she gave the interviews when still with eteri she was happy, it is also a factor that she didn't know anything else but eteri, the rink, the training. So naturally she couldn't really compare it to anything else. Now she can compare it. She doesn't even say anything bad about her old rink or her old team, just that her old ring was for her a place to work, , and compared to that that tcc feels like coming home to family. It's nothing bad, it is just a comparison. Which is natural , and which she is allowed to tell about.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

It's wrong to hold it against her. Maybe/ hopefully she really is in a better place, she feels more herself, we don't get to know for sure, because she didn't said she felt bad in interviews during Eteri years either so... It's her right to express herself and to say what she thinks she feels in interviews.

Funny thing - I remember I used to read this forum pretty often but I decided to make an account only after getting so mad at a poster a couple of years ago. It was after the 9/11 program, some american here wrote that he/she wants to spit Evgenia in her face for that program. I had enough, I saw red, I logged in and defended her furiously. :laugh:

No russian should feel angry at Evgenia because of this, it's a normal thing, it says more about her, not about Russia, neither paints Russia/Eteri bad. At least for me. Evgenia's situation reminds me of a romanian football player who got transferred to 4 teams ( the best of our league) in the space of 5 years and every time he said he is in the best place, felt at home, he dreamed about that team since he was little. Among the fans were chaos and hate :laugh:

Other skaters from Crystal rink like Sasha Trusova said before that Crystal rink is a competitive work place and that they aren't really close friends there. Evgenia's word are not that different from that.