2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Obviously, what Sasha can do is insanely amazing. But it was so scary to me to see her take 3 hard falls before finally hitting the quad. I think something similar happened after the first show, when she finally hit the quad combo after popping a couple times. It makes me wonder about the possible consistency of quads. And I wonder what her usual success rate is.

But good for Anna, it looked like she completed all her attempts. Correct me if wrong.

it's not really "a popping". It's a warm-up before skaters are going for a quad. She (as any other skater) always starts with 1lz and 2lz and 3lz (or 1T/2T/3T). When skaters do it, they're checking the ice and checking feel of the entry on this jump. It's a correct way to warm-up your body before doing any quads. Btw, it is the reason that she didn't jump 4S this season in any competitions. right now she needs more time to warm-up 3 different quads before the start.

the shows.
At the first show she jumped just 4T and she jumped at least 3 clean 4T one after the other.
On the final part of the second show she just went and jumped 4T. (no warm-up) When everybody was doing triples.
Her 4T is pretty consistent. Then when quads bottle started she hit her 4Lz from 4th attempt. But there wasn't any (unplanned) pooping.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Of course. A competitor like Alyona wants to compete, to belong, to participate in the fun.
Being sidelined and left out with injury when you are young and eager is difficult, doctors orders or not.
When Shcherbakova was out with a broken leg she got extremely bored without her daily routines, without the morning chats with her friends while stretching in the gym.

Alyona was able to be at Khrustalniy, do easy things, but of course she felt lonely and sad without the chance to participate in JWC.
So she must have been really happy to be let out on the ice once more at the #TeamTutberidzeForProgress’ show “Champions on Ice”, premiering a piece of art that has long been her dream to create and perform. And she would present her Vampire EX almost at any cost to herself.
She did mess up in her SP and was the more determined in her EX to not let that happen again.

She might be the giggly chatterbox in practice at the rink, but she traveled to Krasnodar with a purpose: to shine in the spotlights, to participate, to have the audience in awe.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Could God she had a broken fibula! I had a stress fracture of my fibula or tibia. I can't remember which in 2013 in the pain was excruciating. Thus I can't imagine how much pain Alena had to go through having to skate every day and jumping with skates the pain must have been out of this world. this is why I've said for many many years that figure skaters are among the toughest athletes I've ever seen even though there's some of the most delicate athletes I've ever seen. I hope her fibula has healed 100%. She's one of the most special skaters out there and the most beautiful skater out there. Most of all I hope she has boots that fit her properly.

Yes, health is the most important thing. It would be a shame for Alena to not be able to make the debut she is capable of because of injury. I really hope she doesn’t push it too much too soon.

Hopefully she has learned from trying to push through the injury all the way up to the day before jr worlds that it’s better to recover fully, otherwise you are stuck at home not being able to compete at all.

karina17

Final Flight
Has Sofia Samodurova fallen once on her jumps in 2018-2019? I don't think she has...

I have a friend who's a massive Sofia fan who follows all her competitions, and she says no - she's fallen in galas, and she missed her -2Lo once and popped it once, but she's never actually fallen in competition before! So that's really something.

Other than her and Anna Tarusina, has any other skater (male or female) never fallen once this season?

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
I have a friend who's a massive Sofia fan who follows all her competitions, and she says no - she's fallen in galas, and she missed her -2Lo once and popped it once, but she's never actually fallen in competition before! So that's really something.

Other than her and Anna Tarusina, has any other skater (male or female) never fallen once this season?
Anna Pogorilaya [emoji14]

it's not really "a popping". It's a warm-up before skaters are going for a quad. She (as any other skater) always starts with 1lz and 2lz and 3lz (or 1T/2T/3T). When skaters do it, they're checking the ice and checking feel of the entry on this jump. It's a correct way to warm-up your body before doing any quads. Btw, it is the reason that she didn't jump 4S this season in any competitions. right now she needs more time to warm-up 3 different quads before the start.

the shows.
At the first show she jumped just 4T and she jumped at least 3 clean 4T one after the other.
On the final part of the second show she just went and jumped 4T. (no warm-up) When everybody was doing triples.
Her 4T is pretty consistent. Then when quads bottle started she hit her 4Lz from 4th attempt. But there wasn't any (unplanned) pooping.

Thank you!!! I didn't know that was her warm up!
Does that mean the quad after the first show was better? Since during the second show, she fell 3 times first. Either way, the 4T is by far her most consistent!

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Obviously, what Sasha can do is insanely amazing. But it was so scary to me to see her take 3 hard falls before finally hitting the quad. I think something similar happened after the first show, when she finally hit the quad combo after popping a couple times. It makes me wonder about the possible consistency of quads. And I wonder what her usual success rate is.

But good for Anna, it looked like she completed all her attempts. Correct me if wrong.

As for the first show, Sasha did a bunch of 4ts on her first try if I recall correctly, and the "pops" were just planned singles to warm herself up. Its actually quite amazing that she can do a 4t with barely any warmup, just a couple of singles to get the motion. And actually in the second show she went and did a 4t in the finale with absolutely no warmup at all. She did have a few falls before the 4lz on day 2, but I would just attribute that to her not having a warmup and being in show lights, although her 4lz success rate is definitely nowhere near her 4t. As for Anna, I think she had some falls warming up the 4lz on show day 1, but made both her attempts after doing some planned singles on day 2, which was very amazing.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yes, health is the most important thing. It would be a shame for Alena to not be able to make the debut she is capable of because of injury. I really hope she doesn’t push it too much too soon.

Hopefully she has learned from trying to push through the injury all the way up to the day before jr worlds that it’s better to recover fully, otherwise you are stuck at home not being able to compete at all.

I hope she has learned too. But I don't know if the Russian girls know how to pull back or play it safe. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Does that mean the quad after the first show was better? Since during the second show, she fell 3 times first.

No, it doesn't. It just means that she has lower success rate with her 4Lz - and that jump is harder for her. If she wanted to just land a quad - she would did it easily in 2nd day as many times as she wanted jumping her 4T. Casual viewers there wouldn't be able even to discern them anyway.
However she decided to land exactly 4Lz (maybe because Anna did hers just before her eyes). Hence all that 4Lz falls.
Anyway, if Sasha will learn 3A - I think they'll abandon 4Lz eventually. 3A plus two 4T are enough to make her invincible.

gogoanya

Spectator
As for the first show, Sasha did a bunch of 4ts on her first try if I recall correctly, and the "pops" were just planned singles to warm herself up. Its actually quite amazing that she can do a 4t with barely any warmup, just a couple of singles to get the motion. And actually in the second show she went and did a 4t in the finale with absolutely no warmup at all. She did have a few falls before the 4lz on day 2, but I would just attribute that to her not having a warmup and being in show lights, although her 4lz success rate is definitely nowhere near her 4t. As for Anna, I think she had some falls warming up the 4lz on show day 1, but made both her attempts after doing some planned singles on day 2, which was very amazing.

Actually Anna did 4lz on the first day😭 and there was no falls on her 4lz.She did once and it succeed.
It’s a shame cameraman couldnt catch all of Anna Shcherbakova doing 4lz and Sofya Akatieve 3a in a row. Only after fan uploaded video we all knew Anna landed her beautiful 4lz

here’s the link : https://www.instagram.com/p/BwgjDTbD-5S/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=110nzy0x9zshg

karina17

Final Flight
If I'm not wrong (the cameraman on the first day was a little confused because of all the quads, so it's hard to tell, but I'm almost certain because there was very little time between her onscreen 3Lz and her name being called with 4Lz): Both days, Anna did one rippon 3Lz as a warmup and then hit her 4Lz immediately after with zero failed attempts. On the first day Anna did one rippon 3Lz and then one 4Lz, no pops or falls, and on the second day she did one rippon 3Lz and then one 4Lz-3T and then another 4Lz-3T immediately after. No pops or falls.

Her success rate has definitely gotten better since the off-season started. I remember at JWC when she made (I think?) 4 attempts and only landed her last one. Here she landed 3 out of 3 attempts, with just one triple as a warm-up.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Actually Anna did 4lz on the first day�� and there was no falls on her 4lz.She did once and it succeed.
It’s a shame cameraman couldnt catch all of Anna Shcherbakova doing 4lz and Sofya Akatieve 3a in a row. Only after fan uploaded video we all knew Anna landed her beautiful 4lz

here’s the link : https://www.instagram.com/p/BwgjDTbD-5S/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=110nzy0x9zshg

Ohhh yeah I knew that, I just worded it wrong :). But yes, her 4lz from day one was just gorgeous. I feel like both of their quads are improving, specifically Anna's quad lutz and Sasha's quad toe.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
An idiot observation, but have you noticed that most of Eteri’s girls (including Evgenia) have veeery long hair? Does it have to do with gravity center or something?