2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

zounger

Medalist
. We shall see quite soon if it was the right decision not to send Liza.

Don't agree with this. To have some bad or good skate on a second tire mainly commercial event at the end of the season after a show tour playing bowling, enjoying sushi, countryside, sakura, etc... is no indication of anything for me.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I don't think it's worth discussing the Medvedeva vs Tuktamysheva for Worlds anymore.

Tuktamysheva was the more deserving skater based on results (competitions she won and a bronze medal at GPF vs almost nothing from Medvedeva). They did Russian Cup Final where in my opinion Tuktamysheva should have won, but judges and Tarasova decided to reward Evgenia more despite a fall in the free skate.

RusFed voted and decided to choose Medvedeva, things went well, i'd say beyond expectations, she skated well ended up grabbing the bronze medal, so Federation and Tarasova are happy and that's it.

katymay

Medalist
Next year I think the world of women's figure skating changes forever.

I am most looking forward to the senior debut of 3A.

Next, the return of so many great Russian juniors, and the debut of new Russian juniors, plus: Young You, Alysa Liu.

My prediction is that at least 10 girls will be landing quads next year-between juniors and seniors.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Well, there‘s no need to become all defensive. Most people in here aren‘t harping on skaters and their programs just for the fun of it and it‘s tiresome that it‘s always presented that way just because a selected few. Especially since it prevents from having real discussions which could potentially be very interesting. I enjoy talking about programs and stuff like that, especially in the off-season where we don‘t have much to do anyway. And there‘s nothing malicious in people saying they wish for Alina to have better/different programs next season. I wish the same for Evgenia btw. While I liked her SP, her FS this season just wasn’t a good program, it wasn‘t even a tango. I also hope she adds a bit more transitions next season. And I‘m most definitely not hating on her or her team. But okay. No discussions about programs, I get it. :laugh:

I can't see a chance for "real disscussion" if one side wants to persist on the conclusions that were proven wrong completely. Saying that Alina won despite transitions just sounds more like denying reality than a contribution to a discussion, also it is nothing new, nothing on what some new discussion could be based, because to be honest it's just the very same what was stated throughout most of the season by some people (usually accompanied with "worryings" as well as claims about "someone being done" and "should be replaced to preserve all three spots" ;) ). It is like trying to base a "real disscussion" about astronomy with flatearthers.

CatonBlades

On the Ice
I don't think that any of previous seasons had so many uncertainties and questions as the coming one.

Finally, Group C are those who may keep skating just for fun or may quit competitive careers: Alena Leonova, Maria Sotskova, Polina Tsurskaya, Daria Panenkova, Liza Nugumanova, Elena Radionova (her status is unclear for me).

Juniors are another interesting topic.

Every skater has one or many bad seasons.
I don't want to offend anybody, but how can you say that skaters like Polina could finish her career?
Because of that bad season at Buyanova?She needs more time than an usual skater to accommodate with a new team, ice rink, etc.
Last year, everybody though that Sakhanovich doesn't have anymore anything to do with figure skating.But she proves that she can skate well, and on international competitions, too.
Tuktamysheva had 3 bad seasons, but she skated well this season.
I hope will all my heart that Polina will never be distracted with such comments, like the one you posted.
It's her decision to skate or not and it's not fair to be influenced by people who think that they can decide for others, before thinking twice and posting a comment without being rude.

CatonBlades

On the Ice
My post will not be so much about who I am most excited about, but more about my dreams and hopes for the next season (my prayers to Skating Gods).

1. Polina Tsurskaya. Love her since her novice days and sincerely hope she does not give up just yet. Her jumps are gorgeous and everything else is pretty good, too. If only she could get rid of those underotations and be more stable, she would be a threat to anybody in and out of Russia. For me she is the skater with most unfulfilled potential and I would hate for her 'journey' in sport to end as it is right now.

2. I am really in love with Kamila Valieva and hope for a grand international debut for her next season. Hope she would be able to keep her jumps against all the odds and naysayers. She has some unique qualities for someone so young and could become an absolutely special skater.

3. Anastasia Tarakanova is another skater I adore. Probably the one I get most emotionally engaged with. I hope nest year is hers to shine on JGP and at junior worlds. There is so much power in her skating and her personality on ice, I hope she learns to control it and rule it.

Generally, I hate to 'lose' skaters so I hope everyone who wants and can continues in the sport.

P.S. I hope skaters do not keep us in suspense for very long and their is at least one new music announcement for a program every day

I understand you so well with Polina!
I hope she will accommodate more with her coach and she'll have more confidence in herself, because she is an unique skater.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
I think it's quite early to already make predict who will make the world team in a year. Do you guys know how much can happen in a year? I mean, even just judging from this season we should have learned to not be too sure about anything when it comes to the russian ladies, since they are certainly very unpredictable.

LynsJ

On the Ice
It’s fun to predict where things will stand at this time next year but just look at the changes and twists this season.... anything can happen. This season we had evgenia starting really shaky then grabbing the bronze, Alina wavering then getting the gold, lilbet coming along with a quad and now apparently a 3a, 3 juniors winning Russian nationals, sotskova losing her place on the team and Lizas 3a and comeback. Anything could happen! I’d love to see these kind of surprises happening again next season! It was fun to follow and watch this year [emoji846]

Finley

Record Breaker
Apparently there is a new Russian lady about to make her skating debut at the Krasnodar show on 4/20. (Such a perfect date!) She has already mastered a Salchow on and off the ice and will probably also do some basic pair skating with a retired ice dancer. Her costume for this season is ready! Prepared by none other than Olga Ryabenko.

I don't think she will be competing internationally due to citizenship/quarantine issues, but I'm expecting great things from her.

Sadly she is too young to have her own fan-fest thread here at GS, but I expect all of you to fall in love with her immediately!
Hopefully, we can all bond together over our mutual love for this skater and there will be no arguing over edge calls and under-rotations.

Masaru is coming to win hearts everywhere! :luv17:

Fluture

Record Breaker
I don't agree with this. For me Alina's SP step sequence is the embodiment of flow in it's more advanced form. Constant movement with maintaining the speed through out the ice rink in a spiral trajectory, light/airy and easy looking flow/skating that embraces the music cut at that point. Parts with extension of her body illusion to twizzles, weave arm movements among with spread eagle, the little jump with turn ... And all this by doing twice than the required elements to hit level 4.

Thanks for this comment. I‘ve just rewatched her SP because I couldn‘t remember all of it and I have to agree with some points here.

I think the transitions in her SP are some of the better ones.

So, judging by her performance at Worlds:

I really like the turns she does into the 3F. Also, they changed her lutz entry, which I think helped her make the whole jump more stable. And the charlotte into the 2A is the highlight of course. And she‘s so consistent with it now! Last year she was trying to do the same at the beginning of the season but they had to change it. Pretty impressive, considering this is the year after the Olympics and she‘s had to deal with some problems. The Charlotte also goes well with the music. The only thing I wish they would have changed here, is the Ina Bauer. She just doesn‘t hold it long enough and while I get that it was a transition into the final spin, she could have timed it a bit differently. This way it would have matched more with the music too and would have had more of a purpose.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CwW5B9-OJsQ

I can‘t put a timestamp, but it‘s at 2:25 onwards here.

Overall, though, I have to admit that my criticism of the transitions in the SP probably wasn‘t entirely justified. I‘m not talking about music cuts here but that‘s a topic that might not need further discussing. I think, generally, the SP is the better choreographed program of the two, which is ironic, because I enjoy the FS a lot more. But it just has these great moments, like the Charlotte into 2A or the music box spin.

Also, Worlds was definitely Alina‘s best performance of POTO. Before, she always seemed a bit stiff and unnatural, as if she didn‘t quite feel the music. This time, she really impressed me. It seemed genuine and her expressions were more natural. And the end was touching, really fit the with the feeling of the program. I think if she goes from there, allows her personality to shine more on the ice, that would be great. Her step sequence here was a lot better, too. She does have a problem with her posture, she hunches over and her crossovers look laboured. But I quite like her step sequences. (in both programs) She doesn‘t have the deepest edges and not the best skatig skills either but what she does is difficult and she pulls it off pretty well. She seems to take more time there and it‘s easier to recognize her turns. Especially in the SP.

Now: Carmen. So, I‘m gonna say it: I think it‘s a program with a lot of potential. Simply because Daniil tried to make it unusual, like he did with Black Swan as well. (and POTO, too, even though the music cuts were a bit too much for me there) I‘ll take Worlds again because while it wasn‘t her best performance wise, it‘s the most recent one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2dwNerVv9kY

I like the beginning. She seems fierce and cheeky and smiles. And most of all I like, that Alina loves the program. I think you can see it. Which is why the transitions bother me the most in this program. Because I feel like the way the program is constructed, it doesn‘t give her room to breathe, to just enjoy for a moment and get into character. Some examples:

1:47

The moment after the Charlotte into 2A. It‘s a highlight, a great transition and so difficult. Why is there a need for this leg kicking afterwards? She could have timed the 2A to land directly on the musical accent and it would have had a much better effect. (I think she did that in the beginning of the season but still had the leg kicking thing) Let the moment have its purpose, let her hold the landing. Then, when the music starts to get faster again, she can go on with the choreography. There is simply no need for this transition, it‘s just “there“. The Charlotte is beautiful in itself, it fits the music and definitely should earn high GOE.

2:44 next

Choreo sequence. I wouldn‘t say it‘s a particularly good one simply because of the fact that it‘s not really memorable. I also don‘t get why there is any need to have this 1 second moves, the short Ina Bauer into the second one that I can‘t name (sorry) It doesn‘t have any purpose and it just looks akward. We all know Alina can hold a Ina Bauer! We have seen her do it beautifully in shows. Why not do it here? Again, there is no significant advantage, she doesn‘t get more points, she just sort of does it because she can. And to me, that‘s not good choreography.

3:00 next

That was actually the worst transition of the program for me. She just landed that 3Lz-3Lo! It‘s looking great! And suddenly she just pushes her leg back and then pulls it over her head but not completely and holds it there for like one second, then lets go of it again and skates on...? Why? What‘s the purpose of this transition? It doesn‘t match the music, it doesn‘t look particularly pleasing, it adds nothing to the program or the story... Again, one of the two (or none...) would have been entirely sufficient, she would have got the GOE bullet. And it wouldn‘t have looked as busy and forced.

I do like the transition after her final 3F, though. I think it fits, it‘s not too much and there‘s natural flow into the next part of the choreography.

Her step sequence was good! I liked it. Usually, by then she starts to really sell the program which makes it all the more powerful. And even though the step sequence in itself is pretty short, it does seem to me like she takes more time and her turns and steps are pretty clear. In general, I think both of her step sequences are pretty well done. And she never loses levels even if the rest of the program didn’t go well which is really impressive! Same for the spins, btw. I think there was like one spin she didn‘t get level 4 on this season? Who else has a track record like this? I think Alina is the best spinner in the current ladies senior field and her GOE and levels agree with that. :)

Overall, I think the main problem that I had with Alina‘s program(s) this season was the lack of purpose for some transitions and the missing flow that went with it. I like her as a skater because I think she has lots to give but I feel like these crazy exits sometimes didn‘t show her in the best light. They looked as if she had to put in a lot of effort, and if she had been allowed to just hold the landings a tad longer and then continue with the choreography, it would have seemed more natural.

I might have to explain why I said Alina won despite of her transitions. That wasn‘t well worded and while I don‘t take it back, I‘ll explain what I meant by it:

Rusfed wanted Eteri and co to make her programs easier. Already at the beginning of the season. They didn‘t. And, in hindsight, I think it might have been a smarter thing to do. Alina really was struggling this season, even Eteri admitted it. She was growing up, had to get used to a new body, etc. Her skating just wasn‘t as “easy“ as last year, due to all these changes. So, if you have a skater you know faces some problems, what do you do? Make the programs even busier, even if said skater already is slower, needs to put in more effort? Especially since Alina already had the highest technical content only behind Rika AND a PCS advantage over her. So, yeah, I do feel like this was kind of unnecessary. Less transitions but more focus put on flow and getting used to her new body would have hurt her in no way, on the contrary, I think it would‘ve helped! She actually would have had a better chance to be clean and her scores would have stayed the same/be even higher. If it was to stay in contention with Rika... Well, there‘s the thing: Rika still is inconsistent with the 3As. If she lands them, though, she beats everyone in the current field. Including Alina. The ridiculously difficult transitions didn‘t make any difference here, they only add to the PCS which are very high for Alina anyway. So, if beating Rika was the goal, then staying clean should be the main focus. She can stay in contention easily/beat her when she doesn‘t land all 3 3As (which was most of the time) Because no matter how difficult the transitions could possibly be, if Rika landed those 3 3As, they couldn‘t beat her anyway. If there was even one mistake... well, Alina‘s in the game again.

That being said, it‘s Alina who became World Champion. I‘ve said it multiple times and I will say it again: I admire this girl. As a skater, as a person, as an athlete. And while I have yet to feel touched by her skating, I appreciate certain qualities about her. And I always enjoy watching her, even if her programs sometimes give me headaches. :laugh:

As for next season: I hope they let Alina choose. She has nothing left to prove, she can skate only for her enjoyment. Of course, if she stays as a competitive skater, she will still try to win (and nothing wrong with that!), but there‘s nothing wrong with experiencing a bit. Give me sassy, rebellious Alina! I loved Survivor-Alina and it would be cool to see something a bit more modern for her. Daniil said they will try an unusual image for her already so let‘s see. I‘m hopeful.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Don't agree with this. To have some bad or good skate on a second tire mainly commercial event at the end of the season after a show tour playing bowling, enjoying sushi, countryside, sakura, etc... is no indication of anything for me.

Then we have different opinions. First, this competition is important to both Russia and USA who lost the Olympic team competition to Canada and may want to build the foundation for future team successes. Second, this competition is important to Japan who would like to show in Japan that their ladies can win over the Russians. Third, this competition is important to Liza because of the first two reasons and as an opening statement for the next season that she is still there and she wants to be in Group A. I am sure that she has been preparing for this one very seriously skipping bowling, contemplations under sakura, and other pleasant activities that you described.

Every skater has one or many bad seasons.
I don't want to offend anybody, but how can you say that skaters like Polina could finish her career?
Because of that bad season at Buyanova?She needs more time than an usual skater to accommodate with a new team, ice rink, etc.
Last year, everybody though that Sakhanovich doesn't have anymore anything to do with figure skating.But she proves that she can skate well, and on international competitions, too.
Tuktamysheva had 3 bad seasons, but she skated well this season.
I hope will all my heart that Polina will never be distracted with such comments, like the one you posted.
It's her decision to skate or not and it's not fair to be influenced by people who think that they can decide for others, before thinking twice and posting a comment without being rude.

I think that English is not your first language because you interpreted my post not the way it was written. Using "Skating for fun", which might not be the best term, I agree, means virtually 0 chances to both get into the national team and to get GP spots. These were the defined characteristics of groups A and B. And, yes, I do believe that Polina won't have either next season. Whatever the reason is, Buyanova, her stature, her injuries, etc. she will have to do a lot of work to become competitive with group A skaters. Is her career finished? I never said that. And Sima Sakhanovich that was mentioned is a good example. She was 100% group C skater last season - she even did not get the right to skate at the Nationals. And now I placed her in Group B.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
I don't know about anyone else, but I would just LOVE to see an older Lady actually train and learn a quad for next season, and maybe even have a completely unexpected worlds team consisting of three 20 year olds. I think that would make the season interesting FOR SURE

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
I am excited for almost all of them; it is really tough to have favorites. Still, I will mention some in random order.

Anna Sherbakova - Probably the most musical skater right now, both delicate and strong. I can’t wait to see her grow, because I think the adult Anna will be a real star. She becomes more beautiful and elegant each day. The age will just add depth and emotion to her skating. Keeping my fingers crossed that she stays healthy, because she looks amazingly airy and fragile.

Sasha Trusova, of course. I hope she manages to keep the girlish, giggling excitement and the incredible courage. I am not worried about her quads, because even if she has temporary problems while growing, she probably has the most consistent triples in the world, so she’ll be ok, as long she keeps the passion and the pioneer spirit.

Alina! I am still happy and relieved that the season ended so well for her. Don’t remember being so worried about a skater. Unlike other people, I loved POTO and Carmen from the beginning. When delivered well, the programs are stunning. What shocked me during worlds was how much Alina has grown. Not physically, but mentally. Her eyes are already the eyes of a grown up, who has been through a lot. While I am a bit sad that a 16-year old brilliant skater had to go through so much doubts, pain and hate, at the end she became a true warrior. In that sense, I wouldn’t write her off in the competition with the 3As, because they are still kids. Alina is the proof that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Liza Tuktamysheva - I keep my fingers crossed that she lands the three triple Axels at WTT this week so that she can end the season on a positive note and be inspired for the next. Love her personality, courage and comeback and hope she doesn’t retire. Life and Rusfed weren’t fair to her this season, so I hope she has a blast at WTT.

Of course, all the others (including juniors) are also very exciting, but I have to end the post somewhere :) Outside of the Russian field, I will follow with interest Lim, You, Satoko and Rika.

AkikoNana

Rinkside
I think Daniil coreographed Alina’s POTO and Carmen taking account that Alina would have struggles with jumps during the season...maybe they realize that yet in late spring when she start the growth spurt.
More than artistically, they focused on the jump construction that ensure her huge scores beside errors, so they add lots of transition (for ex charlotte before 2A because she lost height in that jump), two 3-3 in the second half of the program (in the Olympic season she had 2A-3T that I think she has lost because the struggle on the 2A)...
So in my opinion IF she continues to compete (and it will be IF her jumps and her emotional health will be ok) they will build for her programs in which she could be more herself, like she was in the Lara Croft EX

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The whole post

Let me say this first - I think that you are unique! How can you produce such a thorough analysis in such a short time with such a logical flow?! You can type, what 300 characters per minute?

Second, although we differ most of the times I appreciate that you look critically at your own opinions and sometimes even change your point of view. As for Alina's programs this season this is exactly what I think. POTO is almost a masterpiece (I am fine with music cuts). Because it is a short program and becasuse of the timing her charlotte entry into 2A is the highlight of it.

And Carmen is a rushed program where she did not have the time to get into the role outside the first 10 seconds. Whatever people said about how unbalanced DQ was, Carmen is not the one that I want to rewatch outside the moment of Alina's joy that she made it.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think it's quite early to already make predict who will make the world team in a year. Do you guys know how much can happen in a year? I mean, even just judging from this season we should have learned to not be too sure about anything when it comes to the russian ladies, since they are certainly very unpredictable.

It’s fun to predict where things will stand at this time next year but just look at the changes and twists this season.... anything can happen. This season we had evgenia starting really shaky then grabbing the bronze, Alina wavering then getting the gold, lilbet coming along with a quad and now apparently a 3a, 3 juniors winning Russian nationals, sotskova losing her place on the team and Lizas 3a and comeback. Anything could happen! I’d love to see these kind of surprises happening again next season! It was fun to follow and watch this year [emoji846]

We have this board for all sorts of speculations. But, of course, we want that they have some sense and logic. That's why 1 year in advance I see 6 skaters competing for 3 spots. And, yes, I don't see that anyone but 3 out of 6 of them getting team spots. Last year in March I wrote that the season would be still about Zagitova vs. Medvedeva with the third spot open to many skaters. No matter how the season went, was I wrong?

And, surely, I would add Tursynbaeva to group A, should she skate for Russia.