2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
What about Ryabova? She competes for Azerbaijan but she is still Russian. Do you guys think she will get some GP assignments next year?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What about Ryabova? She competes for Azerbaijan but she is still Russian. Do you guys think she will get some GP assignments next year?

I hope so! I like her a lot :)

She got 14th at Worlds, but I'm not sure how it figures into the Seasons Best lists.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Her quads are looking suspiciously under. Were they always that short??

The lutz looks more UR than the toe. Sasha’s 4T has always been pretty consistently rotated, but she’s had trouble with rotating the 4Lz.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I hope so! I like her a lot :)

She got 14th at Worlds, but I'm not sure how it figures into the Seasons Best lists.

Just checked. She is 42nd on the SB list so that isn't enough for a guaranteed spot. She was 13th at Worlds and I think that means that if anyone of the top 12 at Worlds declines GP, Ryabova will get two GP spots?? But I'm not sure.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Just checked. She is 42nd on the SB list so that isn't enough for a guaranteed spot. She was 13th at Worlds and I think that means that if anyone of the top 12 at Worlds declines GP, Ryabova will get two GP spots?? But I'm not sure.

Yeah I think thats right, which is funny because it means she either gets 2 spots or none.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Yes. Lilbet beating Russian girls with her quads when she's actually a Russian girl herself will really annoy millions of people. EG was ecstatic when Elizabet got silver over Medvedeva at worlds. But if that happens at the Olympics or another World Championships a lot of people are going to be annoyed and frustrated. And what is to our other three Russian girls rank 6 to 10 among the Russian girls go to other countries and then beat Russian girls in Grand Prix events and Europeans etc etc etc. It's entirely possible and that would be frustrating too.

Just read nussnacker's response. This is not the first time when a skater representing another country who was trained by a russian coach (Tatiana Tarasova, Nikolai Morozov) won over some russian skaters. Lilbet is quite popular in Russia, esp. since she returned back to Eteri, and seriously I didn't notice any negativity towards her from Russians. It is not necessary to foist some sentimets to them when there is no sign of it.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Elizabeth gets the sympathy of the Russian fans also because she is perceived as the support of the Russian girls on the wave of technological progress. As well as a pleasant opportunity to see the struggle for victory for the figure skater who is related to Russians in 4CC.

leilaraj

On the Ice
Are they gonna have the same energy for Brian Orser? Does he also only have to train Zhenya or should he also drop his males just because he trains a russian skater? I think Sochi was a special case and I also think that if it was asked from Eteri again, she would decline, I don‘t see her drop Liza.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Is it true Evgenia is working with Averbukh on one of her programs?

Yes. Lilbet beating Russian girls with her quads when she's actually a Russian girl herself will really annoy millions of people. EG was ecstatic when Elizabet got silver over Medvedeva at worlds. But if that happens at the Olympics or another World Championships a lot of people are going to be annoyed and frustrated. And what is to our other three Russian girls rank 6 to 10 among the Russian girls go to other countries and then beat Russian girls in Grand Prix events and Europeans etc etc etc. It's entirely possible and that would be frustrating too.

I don't think russians will get annoyed by Lilbet successes.

- Eteri still has her army of incredibly talented russian girls, ready to win everything. Don't forget that yes Lilbet won silver at Worlds, but Zagitova got the gold.

- Russians and kazakhs are friends like americans and canadians. While let's say if Elizabet was american that could have been a problem for someone (i don't share this way of thinking but it is what it is), even though as other mentioned Tarasova coached american skaters in the past and everyone was okay with it.

- Tursynbaeva is good PR for EG and her group: she is the person who will say good things about them in front of western media, she seems so humble and down to earth so she will never act as a queen, or saying bad things about the teammates, her parents are also sending only positive vibes on the team, how professional they are, how her mom prefers Eteri's style of coaching over Orser,...

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The lutz looks more UR than the toe. Sasha’s 4T has always been pretty consistently rotated, but she’s had trouble with rotating the 4Lz.

I wonder if it's because of her take off technique, where she rock the inside to outside edge right before take off. I still don't know what to think of that take off technique. No ! or e, but that's about it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

She’s only been doing it for about a year. I’m going to expect that it will improve over time like the 4t did.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Just read nussnacker's response. This is not the first time when a skater representing another country who was trained by a russian coach (Tatiana Tarasova, Nikolai Morozov) won over some russian skaters. Lilbet is quite popular in Russia, esp. since she returned back to Eteri, and seriously I didn't notice any negativity towards her from Russians. It is not necessary to foist some sentimets to them when there is no sign of it.

Well I hope you're good with it when Elizabet starts finishing ahead of Alina in competitions. I won't be and I won't pretend to be. My feelings for EG may change then. But this is all speculation at this point. It sure will be interesting to see all of this unfold in the next season or two.

I don't think EG will be coaching anyone else from another country anytime soon with all the talent she has why should she?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Well I hope you're good with it when Elizabet starts finishing ahead of Alina in competitions. I won't be and I won't pretend to be. My feelings for EG may change then. But this is all speculation at this point. It sure will be interesting to see all of this unfold in the next season or two.

I don't think EG will be coaching anyone else from another country anytime soon with all the talent she has why should she?

Well, I'm not Russian, so my feelings for either Alina or Lilbet aren't national. I'm big fan of Alina (who would guess) and I like Lilbet too. If she will defeat Alina in the future honestly, what I (or anybody else) could say about it? I will not stop being fan of Alina and won't stop liking Lilbet :)
As for Eteri Georgievna, she never preferred any skater she is coaching despite other things. If RusFed will have troubles that a skater not representing Russia is defeating the one who is, than it is a problem between Eteri and RusFen, not a question for me. But that is more or less hypothetical.
Alina, if she intends to continue (which she probably does), is aware that she should have at least one quad/3A (the other is less probable), she is training 4F and due to her highly competitive personality and astounding physical skills I can easily say she has a fair chance to master such jump. For the beginning she even doesn't need multiple quad jumps as she was able to defeat skaters with 3A/4S. She also has the advantage that she's been through puberty already, while Sasha, Anna and even Rika can still expect some body changes. Also Alina is the one from whom I would expect that she would say when Anna, Sasha and Lilbet can jump quads, why couldn't I.
That's all tghat can be said about it now.