2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 559 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Skuratov

On the Ice
Different competition, different judges, different technical panel. Part of why I don't take world records in judged sports that seriously.

Will have to wait until Worlds for a direct comparison, assuming each skater can repeat their programs successfully on the day of the competition.

Japan Open results:

Bradie Tennel FS = 124
Alexandra Trusova FS=160
So magically Bradie gained 17 points? A fall in a jump doesn't cost such amount of points.
We don't have to wait till Worlds but this week at Skate Canada. But I'don't expect a fair judging.

readernick

Medalist
Japan Open results:

Bradie Tennel FS = 124
Alexandra Trusova FS=160
So magically Bradie gained 17 points? A fall in a jump doesn't cost such amount of points.
We don't have to wait till Worlds but this week at Skate Canada. But I'don't expect a fair judging.

Simple answer, by skating a lot better, not falling , and not UR all her jumps. That's why skaters get different scores at different competitions because they skate differently each time. She had just started practicing again prior to Japan Open because she was injured during the summer. She had several more weeks of practice and her skating was a lot better here. ( clearly) So, she scored higher. Simple! This is such a pointless comment. It is vaguely trying to imply a conspiracy by providing data completely unrelated to this competition.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I wonder which two ladies Russia will choose to send to Youth Olympics in January?

I was trying to find the selection criteria at the ISU homepage, but I'm not sure, is it JGP that determines the qualification?

If that's the case, surely Russia will send Sinitsyna and Vasilieva (Valieva and Usacheva are too young).

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Considering how much Russians have been over-scored for years, (thanks to "strong federation", "politics", "judges bias", or whatever), it's really bad form to complain, don't you think?
Oh I just love those broad, unproven generalizations. I'll stop here and spare you from more of them.

(And no, I don't like Bradie. I didn't like any of the Russian ladies either, until now - but I liked Anna. Finally, someone from Russia who actually deserved her scores and was interesting to watch. What a pleasant surprise, a hype actually measuring up to reality. :laugh: )
Oh have your eyes been on leave all these years?.. :rolleye:

Now something really interesting... Grin, if you or anyone who reads the thread happen to read/hear that interview by Dave Kane, please share it here...

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Japan Open results:

Bradie Tennel FS = 124
Alexandra Trusova FS=160

I agree Bradie was slightly overscored at SA due to the home advantage. But your comment about "magically" gaining 17 points isn't fair. It is pretty reasonable for her score to have improved significantly since Japan Open. She was injured most of the summer and has been out of her boot for only about a month. Which means she competed at Japan Open right after returning from an injury and has since had time to continue to train and improve.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
I wonder which two ladies Russia will choose to send to Youth Olympics in January?

I was trying to find the selection criteria at the ISU homepage, but I'm not sure, is it JGP that determines the qualification?

If that's the case, surely Russia will send Sinitsyna and Vasilieva (Valieva and Usacheva are too young).

All of the 3A are also eligable I think so if one of them are left of the Euros team I could see that person get sent to Youth Olympics instead. I also think Kanysheva could possibly be a contender if she can get back from her injury and have strong showings at the Russian Cup stages.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
All of the 3A are also eligable I think so if one of them are left of the Euros team I could see that person get sent to Youth Olympics instead. I also think Kanysheva could possibly be a contender if she can get back from her injury and have strong showings at the Russian Cup stages.

I was thinking of 3A too, but as I understand it, the deadline for submitting entries is Nov 30th, so that's before Russian Nationals and the selection for Euros. Youth Olympics is the week before Euros so choosing anyone of the 3A is risky as it's so close between the Championships.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Loop combinations are very tricky because of the timing involved. I don't actual think Anna is a natural jumper. She is a fast rotater (which is the key to her success) but she does not have the natural height on her jumps that Sasha, Aliona and some of the Japanese ladies do. She is, obviously, an extremely harder worker. So,I do think she can clean up her 3-3s but I am not sure it will be easy. (it isn't easy for anyone to clean up URs)

Anna's triples are quite small, yes. But I think there were measurements done by some people that suggested that Anna's 4Lz is actually the same height as Sasha's and covers more distance. So I think she's got a lot more in her - the 3Lz is nowhere near the height and distance of her 4Lz. Also I want to point out that while height and distance are very important in jumps, so is air position. Anna has a much tighter and straighter air position than both Sasha and Alena, so there is an element to her jumps that are better, even though it's not power. Both Sasha, Alena, and even Alina and Evgenia sometimes have issues with their axis and the tightness of their legs while rotating. Perhaps having a good air position is a big contributor to her ability rotate quickly. Anna also has a good landing position with her free leg parallel to the ice and a straight back, unlike Sasha. Now, I don't know if these things cancel out the advantage that the others have in their jumps, but Anna is certainly not weaker in all aspects of jumping than the other Russian ladies.

Deripashka

On the Ice
I noticed on Anna quad Lz, that in cases when she fall (she often falling on back or back side), she tends to "wait" or hesitate with jump a bit longer and then strain her upper body and arm muscles just before ejection in the air. I think that causing decreased speed of rotation => underrotation on landing => more or less soft fall on the butt and back. I know that S. Dudakov teaching them to strain their muscles and "prolonged" themselves like spaghetti in the jump, to get as much as possible of body mass as close as possible to axis of rotation, but that timing between muscle relaxation and tension in the jump somehow doing troubles to Anna 4Lz, when shes nervous.

And to the air position, I have always mini heartattack from Kamila Valieva quads and triples. During jump she skewing direction of her axis of rotation so that it always look like shes going to ugly fall on the back from top of the jump. But, since she is little miracle, almost always she manage to land safely.

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
Simple answer, by skating a lot better, not falling , and not UR all her jumps. That's why skaters get different scores at different competitions because they skate differently each time. She had just started practicing again prior to Japan Open because she was injured during the summer. She had several more weeks of practice and her skating was a lot better here. ( clearly) So, she scored higher. Simple! This is such a pointless comment. It is vaguely trying to imply a conspiracy by providing data completely unrelated to this competition.

That means that they expect Trusova to make 180 points "skating a lot better". I hope not to read a single criticism from the americans when that happens.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Random fun fact: You can make your sims figure skate in the Sims 4 and the first jump your sim will land is a 3A3T. If only it were that easy in real life. :laugh:

I noticed that! It's very funny, they progress directly from falling on their butts to most difficult 3-3 in no time at all

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Random fun fact: You can make your sims figure skate in the Sims 4 and the first jump your sim will land is a 3A3T. If only it were that easy in real life. :laugh:

Yes! When I found out you could do figure skating in the Sims I was so excited! Although I've never got my Sim to jump before...

A 3A-3T though, talk about ambitious!