2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 565 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's like 6 months to worlds (and 4 to 4CC). I don't think Lilbet is written off for the rest of the season. Though I'm not against the idea that when some country would have more spots than skaters who are able to qualify, than the country could shift the entry'ies) to some other country by some reasonable system. It would be more honest than some last minute nationality changing.

I know people ares still defending the "diversity", but what is that for diversity when big part of it means just that some skater from one country suddenly changes his allegiance to another flag. As I have said already, I would be proud of skaters from my country gaining medals and all, but I don't like the idea when they gain entries and many skaters (not just Russian ladies), who are much better don't just because of 3 entries quota.
Exactly!

Decoder

On the Ice
It's like 6 months to worlds (and 4 to 4CC). I don't think Lilbet is written off for the rest of the season. Though I'm not against the idea that when some country would have more spots than skaters who are able to qualify, than the country could shift the entry (entries) to some other country by some reasonable system. It would be more honest than some last minute nationality changing.

I know people are still defending the "diversity", but what is that for diversity when big part of it means just that some skater from one country suddenly changes his allegiance to another flag. As I have said already, I would be proud of skaters from my country gaining medals and all, but I don't like the idea when they gain entries and many skaters (not just Russian ladies), who are much better don't just because of 3 entries quota.

I like the idea of re-balancing - shifting unfilled positions to other countries. Diversity is a good thing in general, and in the mean time we want to see FS developing and moving forward.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
I don't find watching skaters from small federations painful. I enjoy it. And, those skaters inspire others to take up the sport. If Alina can't compete with the 3A at home for one of the 3 Russian spots, she definitely won't be on the world podium. So, it won't matter much anyway.. .A world champion being unable to defend their title the next year or even qualifying for the world championships happens all the time, in many sports. Athletes are aware of how short lived their success can be... if they can accept it then so can the fans.

Not true, at any given day a variety of those 4 girls could make the podium

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No need to quote on that 😄. Everyone of Zagitova's fervent critics were so giddy last year when she struggled in the GPs all the way to Euros. They should have watch her Nebelhorn and JO skate and appreciate what she was still capable of.

Thank you for answering my post. I think I was confused because we so rarely use "your lot" in American English and my British friends use it to refer to specific people.

So if it's just a reference to some Zagitova critics somewhere out there who were unhappy when she won, now I understand. Of course, I didn't see any "fervent critics" on this Board who were so "devastated", and without a citation or a quote, there isn't any proof that there were.

Elana

On the Ice
I think the the 4A are pretty much the best in the world right now (mix in a few others) and could easily take places 1-4 at Worlds in any order. So it is pretty unfair that they all can't get the same opportunity to fight for a world medal.

But what I think might be the hardest part, is being the one left off the team. They are all deserving in their own rights and could all go clean at Nats and I don't know what they would place, especially with judging bias at home. I feel like if the 3A place top 3 at Nats above Alina, they may still go with Alina for Worlds over Anna or Alena. Then imagine having to go back to training the next week and watching the others prepare for worlds while you are virtually done for the season, that just seems heartbreaking to me. Especially if it is a case of them not choosing the top 3, whoever they are, from Nats. Then one of them is gonna feel they were passed over and watch the other one get their deserved opportunity. Idk, I can only imagine how upsetting it will be for one of them and it makes me sad.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I think the the 4A are pretty much the best in the world right now (mix in a few others) and could easily take places 1-4 at Worlds in any order. So it is pretty unfair that they all can't get the same opportunity to fight for a world medal.

But what I think might be the hardest part, is being the one left off the team. They are all deserving in their own rights and could all go clean at Nats and I don't know what they would place, especially with judging bias at home. I feel like if the 3A place top 3 at Nats above Alina, they may still go with Alina for Worlds over Anna or Alena. Then imagine having to go back to training the next week and watching the others prepare for worlds while you are virtually done for the season, that just seems heartbreaking to me. Especially if it is a case of them not choosing the top 3, whoever they are, from Nats. Then one of them is gonna feel they were passed over and watch the other one get their deserved opportunity. Idk, I can only imagine how upsetting it will be for one of them and it makes me sad.

I have pretty much been thinking the same thing ever since the 3A has turned senior. Russian Nationals is going be a terrible, but really good competition. Terrible in the sense that so many world podium contenders are going to be left off the team. Wonderful in the sense that there is going to be a lot of high level skating to watch. I just hope that I don’t see any of the girls crying because I know that I will start crying with them. :(

colormyworld240

Medalist
I don't find watching skaters from small federations painful. I enjoy it. And, those skaters inspire others to take up the sport. If Alina can't compete with the 3A at home for one of the 3 Russian spots, she definitely won't be on the world podium. So, it won't matter much anyway.. .A world champion being unable to defend their title the next year or even qualifying for the world championships happens all the time, in many sports. Athletes are aware of how short lived their success can be... if they can accept it then so can the fans.

This is untrue, under certain circumstances. We will be able to tell as the season progresses as Alina has yet to be scored on her SP. But the FS scores of all 4 of them are quite similar. For example, if Russia only had 2 spots at major junior comps last season and Alena wasn't injured, Anna would have been left off as she came 3rd at junior nats. However, she was first at seniors nats, competing against the same people. All 3 switched spots on podiums through the season and any of them would've been capable of winning JWs depending on their luck on the day (how they skate vs. others) as they've already won prior. Of course with Alina we have yet to see her win against the juniors at a senior competition, so we will see this season.

Scott512

Record Breaker
If the World Champion would get a free pass to defend her title we wouldn't have this situation - then all of the 4A could go to Worlds.

I've been screaming about that for years. and I don't even want a free pass for the defending champion of world Euro or Olympic titles they have to have realistic qualifications to get a possible free pass. That said if Alina skates on a level equal to or close to 3A then she gets to go to the big competitions this year. being the reigning defending undisputed world and Olympic champion carried some weight and it will be a tiebreaker over one of the three 3A stars.

macy

Record Breaker

agree with all of this.

however, if all of the 4A have great outings this season, i think RusFed should go with top 3 at nationals if they are all top 4. unless someone gives them a reason to not be on the team at their GP's, i think that's really the most fair way to do it when you have THAT much talent, and any of them could place in any order.

it wouldn't be a loss no matter who they chose.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Special ISU Group will consider reducing the nubmer of components categories in figure skating
https://tass.ru/sport/7034236

Anytime a big change like this is proposed, I'd like to see it done to address a current problem with scoring. It creates problems (restarting world record scores, changing what attributes are rewarded in the middle of these athletes' careers, etc.) but I don't see any problem this solves.

Amei

Record Breaker
agree with all of this.

however, if all of the 4A have great outings this season, i think RusFed should go with top 3 at nationals if they are all top 4. unless someone gives them a reason to not be on the team at their GP's, i think that's really the most fair way to do it when you have THAT much talent, and any of them could place in any order.

it wouldn't be a loss no matter who they chose.

Agree. In my opinion they should go with the top 3 age-eligible finishers at Nationals for Europeans, if those 3 manage to finish 1-2-3 (what European skater could challenge any of the 3 that go if they all skate well?) then they all 3 go to Worlds. If someone finishes off the podium at Europeans then they have to go to Russian Cup Final and the highest finisher at that competition among the age-eligible skaters goes to Worlds.

Decoder

On the Ice

Exactly, and that would not be helpful to the group as a whole. I would say just let the three winners at Nats go, to make it simple, even if people might still complain about the fairness of scoring.