2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 568 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Why would be hurtfull. Its not like they are 18. They are still 15/16. And two of them don't have that title. Not to say that the competition there is almost at the same level as will be their competitors at Senior Worlds (Valieva, Sinitsyna, Liu, Lee, Usacheva all scored 200+ already). Many known skaters skated seniors competitions and attended Junior Worlds in the same season.

I feel like that would be like a slap in the face. Like “you have skated senior all season, but since you weren’t good enough for senior worlds, you go to junior worlds”. That’s just my opinion. It’s different if you get held back in juniors because you aren’t ready for seniors but being ready for seniors and competing in seniors then having to go to junior worlds would be like a step down in my mind. Plus I don’t how the judges and the ISU would feel about sending someone as senior ready like Alena or Anna back down to juniors just so they can possibly get a world championship and steal a medal from an actual junior skater. It would be better to send whoever isn’t on the world team to the World Team Trophy, Winter Universidad, or a competition similar to that.

andromache

Record Breaker
Why would be hurtfull. Its not like they are 18. They are still 15/16. And two of them don't have that title. Not to say that the competition there is almost at the same level as will be their competitors at Senior Worlds (Valieva, Sinitsyna, Liu, Lee, Usacheva all scored 200+ already). Many known skaters skated seniors competitions and attended Junior Worlds in the same season.

There are many skaters who do Senior GP and then wind up at Junior Worlds. However, none of those skaters are at the same level as the 3A. At this point for those girls, I think it is better from a perception point of view to be the 4th best senior lady in Russia than Junior World Champ. It's not really logical. But I think it is how perception works sometimes.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
In all honesty, most comments are made based on the current situation, since the future is hard to predict. I'm assuming that comment was made around JGPF, and can you honestly say that at the time it didn't sound possible? :)

Nope, it was made at the beginning of november (Anna was two time JGP winner that time). The same user gifted us with another prediction at that time:

I don’t think she’s (Kostornaia) leave mid season, but I would bet big money she leaves this off season....

...Eteri method is cut throat, especially if you aren’t the #1 priority. I could completely understand her wanting a different training environment in the near future.

I hope the loss of money wasn't that big... :biggrin:

Why I was posting those several quotes is because I see people making wild predictions again. Let's be careful and don't mischange wishful thinking for reality.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
There are many skaters who do Senior GP and then wind up at Junior Worlds. However, none of those skaters are at the same level as the 3A. At this point for those girls, I think it is better from a perception point of view to be the 4th best senior lady in Russia than Junior World Champ. It's not really logical. But I think it is how perception works sometimes.

Knowing how good is Juniors ladies field this season (American and Korean best girls this season are actually juniors), i would trade my 3rd or 4th place at Senior Worlds for a Junior World title, especially knowing that i still have a chance to attend Senior Worlds in the future. If Juniors field is not that good, i would probably drop my trade, but wining against Valieva and Liu is a very worthy accomplishment, for every skater i think.

moriel

Record Breaker

They are currently competing in seniors, and trying to build a rep in seniors. Sending them to JW basically says "nah, those girls are still raw and juniorish".
If i would a judge, I would totally write that down.

If rusfed wanted them at junior worlds this year, they would have kept one of the girls in juniors, or even two of them.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope, it was made at the beginning of november (Anna was two time JGP winner that time). The same user gifted us with another prediction at that time:

I hope the loss of money wasn't that big... :biggrin:

Why I was posting those several quotes is because I see people making wild predictions again. Let's be careful and don't mischange wishful thinking for reality.

Wouldn't it be more polite to engage the poster directly, rather than talk about them behind their back?:confused:

Although I'm not sure what point is made to "call out" a wrong prediction. We all make them, and it doesn't say anything about a particular skaters' merits :shrug:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
They are currently competing in seniors, and trying to build a rep in seniors. Sending them to JW basically says "nah, those girls are still raw and juniorish".
If i would a judge, I would totally write that down.

If rusfed wanted them at junior worlds this year, they would have kept one of the girls in juniors, or even two of them.

They sent Stanislava at senior competitions and juniors World in the same season tho, as they did with some other skaters in the past. And that didn't stop the judges to place her second at the senior grand prix competition next season. Other federations did that too (Italy with Grassl, France with Siao Him Fa, Japan with one of their lady last season etc). Judges know how strong competition is in Russia, as they are aware that 15/16 yo is still a junior eligible skater, the same way he/she can be a senior :shrug:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
While I think there are probably strong political forces at play that do NOT want to send 3 girls from the same coach to Euros/Worlds, I think that by the time the team is picked, it will be clear that a combo of the 4A (and not Liza or Zhenya) has a very strong chance to sweep the Worlds podium. I hope that is RusFed's goal - send the team most likely to do a sweep. In which case Liza and Zhenya would probably be left off (unless the 4A have some unexpected bad results on the GP series).

Will they let them though? Considering the judging at SA
1) first 3Lz+3Lo bogus call https://youtu.be/geLNanWq92w?t=100
2) second 3Lz+3Lo bogus call https://youtu.be/X3Fs_06zT6k?t=137
I think not. They'll find a way - unless Rika, Kaori and Bradie will be lying on the ice the whole program, of course :sarcasm:

P.S.: I fully expect the same approach for Sasha jumps in SC judging, btw. In before I would recommend them to get rid of +Lo combos altogether - not because of instability - but because it's harder to forge UR calls on +3T combos since the jumps are not that fast there and usually more rotated.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
They sent Stanislava at senior competitions and juniors World in the same season tho, as they did with some other skaters in the past. And that didn't stop the judges to place her second at the senior grand prix competition next season. Other federations did that too (Italy with Grassl, France with Siao Him Fa, Japan with one of their lady last season etc). Judges know how strong competition is in Russia, as they are aware that 15/16 yo is still a junior eligible skater, the same way he/she can be a senior :shrug:

Has anyone ever gone to JW after competing on the senior GP? Because all of the skaters you mentioned competed as seniors at B competitions but were in the JGP in the season they went to JW.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Has anyone ever gone to JW after competing on the senior GP? Because all of the skaters you mentioned competed as seniors at B competitions but were in the JGP in the season they went to JW.

Yuna Shiraiwa last season. There are other examples from the past. But for me, senior competition is a senior competition, no matter is it Grand Prix or Challenger. The problem is that Russia can't send all of their good skaters to GP, because there are no places for them. As they can't sent all of their good skater to Worlds. But some of them can be sent to Junior Worlds. It's for a sure a more worthy (ladies) competition than Europeans for example #sorrynotsorry

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Yuna Shiraiwa last season. There are other examples from the past.

Yes and Lilbet from 2015-2016, though she also competed at Senior Worlds that year (there was no one else from her county so she did a full transitional year of senior/junior competitions). Yuna Shiraiwa is a good example of someone who competed as a senior who was then sent to JW after not being chosen for Senior Worlds.

I agree I don’t love that RusFed seems to have these elitist standards in creating this distinction between juniors and seniors when really skaters should be able to seize every opportunity available to them like skaters from other countries.

SkateSkates

Medalist
But who would they even send out of the 3A? Only Anna would make sense now that Aliona has her 3A back because in juniors she wouldn’t be able to use it in the SP to gain an advantage. This is assuming Sasha is the #1 Russian this season.

Rusfed has 2 very strong juniors in Kamila and Ksenia, with Usacheva, Vasilieva and maybe Kanysheva if she recovers fighting for the 3rd spot. Not to mention Tarakanova, Khromykh and Frolova who also medaled in the JGP. With Liu and Haein also fighting for podium positions, it’s unlikely Russia will be able to sweep junior worlds this year anyway.

macy

Record Breaker
i think it would be very foolish and unwise to send one of 3A to jr worlds, and if they did, i bet it would be Alena since she missed it last year. those 3 are part of the creme of the crop in the entire world and could sweep the senior world podium themselves, they have already more than proved themselves as top seniors only a month into the season. would they really rather a jr world medal than a possible 3 at senior worlds?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Wouldn't it be more polite to engage the poster directly, rather than talk about them behind their back?:confused:

Although I'm not sure what point is made to "call out" a wrong prediction. We all make them, and it doesn't say anything about a particular skaters' merits :shrug:

They made those claims publicly (anybody can read them) and their posts were anything but polite (and I chose the softer and funny ones, but those were not isolated comments but part of the whole view of those users). Behind somebody's back would be if I would spread that via PM and similarly intending to cause harm to particular user without giving him a chance to advocate it. When you make strong prediction you have to count on being wrong and being told of being wrong.

The first one attracted my attention simply due to the fact that it was interresting to compare the prediction and the reality we saw just the last weekend. And the last one is quite actual when we can see that there was no "cutthroat" that was predicted but the exact opposite. It's the sign that users tend to get carried away by their point of view, by their feelings towards skaters and teams. Which is anybody's right but this is a sign how low value those predictions have.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
But who would they even send out of the 3A? Only Anna would make sense now that Aliona has her 3A back because in juniors she wouldn’t be able to use it in the SP to gain an advantage. This is assuming Sasha is the #1 Russian this season.

Rusfed has 2 very strong juniors in Kamila and Ksenia, with Usacheva, Vasilieva and maybe Kanysheva if she recovers fighting for the 3rd spot. Not to mention Tarakanova, Khromykh and Frolova who also medaled in the JGP. With Liu and Haein also fighting for podium positions, it’s unlikely Russia will be able to sweep junior worlds this year anyway.

Not that it would make sense with anybody of them but if that hypothetical cause would happen, Aliona could use her 3A in combo in SP just like Alisa did.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
i think it would be very foolish and unwise to send one of 3A to jr worlds, and if they did, i bet it would be Alena since she missed it last year. those 3 are part of the creme of the crop in the entire world and could sweep the senior world podium themselves, they have already more than proved themselves as top seniors only a month into the season. would they really rather a jr world medal than a possible 3 at senior worlds?

I think the point would be to send them if they weren’t chosen for senior worlds, thus no chance to be any kind of senior world medalist in this season.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

If they skate clearly the best at Russian nationals (or during the whole season), of course they should be competing at Senior Worlds. But Alina's unofficial scores at test skates were on pair with Sashas (they scored similar as they scored at JO, but Alina beat her in SP), and i don't think Zhenya will be pushed aside that easily if she can be at her best, so...

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Will they let them though? Considering the judging at SA
1) first 3Lz+3Lo bogus call https://youtu.be/geLNanWq92w?t=100
2) second 3Lz+3Lo bogus call https://youtu.be/X3Fs_06zT6k?t=137
I think not. They'll find a way - unless Rika, Kaori and Bradie will be lying on the ice the whole program, of course :sarcasm:

P.S.: I fully expect the same approach for Sasha jumps in SC judging, btw. In before I would recommend them to get rid of +Lo combos altogether - not because of instability - but because it's harder to forge UR calls on +3T combos since the jumps are not that fast there and usually more rotated.

To my eyes those UR calls were bogus, yes. I am no technical expert, but could it be that if you don't have a good running edge out of the jump that they can "suspect" an underrotation because of that? Clearly, Anna was almost at a stand still at both these 3Loops so it wasn't the best. But from those angles you showed...no URs imo.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
To my eyes those UR calls were bogus, yes. I am no technical expert, but could it be that if you don't have a good running edge out of the jump that they can "suspect" an underrotation because of that? Clearly, Anna was almost at a stand still at both these 3Loops so it wasn't the best. But from those angles you showed...no URs imo.

Sasha was jumping much better 3Lz-3Lo last year. You can compare it with that or with Alina's 3Lz-3Lo at JO, and you will see they didn't perform them as good in those competitions this season. 3Lo combo is a very tricky element and it is often UR on a judging review (and that's why only a few skaters doing it), so the point is to jump it silky and smooth in real time that judges don't push the review button on it ;)