2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 572 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
If this is truly your first idea... :shrug:

I don't know if you've read the competition thread but first you should start there. Than we may have a talk.

Yes it is because it's true. And no need to point me to the competition thread. As I said, a lot of people here too I'm sure.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
well, I don't remember everything now, he was just slamming everyone left and right lol, I was so shocked to hear it live. This one was boring and uninteresting, the dress is bad, the performance was atrocious, underrotations here and there. I certainly thought TAT was in charge of that type of commentary, he came replacing her just fine :laugh2:

This is the kind of commentary I am here for!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Ah yes let's start with the most negative comments. I'm sure a lot of people are filled with joy right now, even though they're preaching how wishing bad luck on someone is evil.
What happened? I can only surmise Evgenia had a not so good short program. for the life of me I'll never figure out why so many skaters struggle with the short program more than the free state which is longer tougher and these days requires quads or triple axels.

Good luck to Zhenya tomorrow.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Kamila has two quad toes and better execution on nearly everything. I'm always careful with predictions, but if clean she should be 10-15 points ahead.
That's a pretty big if. ;)

we will find out in the future who is better but we should be thankful that both are so good with such promise.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I can never figure out why any skater's misery is something to be joyful or gloating about.

I don’t see how this applies to this thread. If you think some people are being joyful about some skater‘s misery, you should comment at the section of the forum where it’s actually taking place.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
What happened? I can only surmise Evgenia had a not so good short program. for the life of me I'll never figure out why so many skaters struggle with the short program more than the free state which is longer tougher and these days requires quads or triple axels.

Good luck to Zhenya tomorrow.

Protocols pretty much tells you how her SP went. Although the scores are pretty good for a "disastrous" skate.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I can never figure out why any skater's misery is something to be joyful or gloating about.

Because skaters don't perform in a vacuum. One skater's poor performance can push another, more preferred skater, higher in the rankings. Some people do follow figure skating as a sport, not as works of art.

I'll continue rooting for others to fail to improve Kihira's chances of winning.

ec00834

On the Ice
Because skaters don't perform in a vacuum. One skater's poor performance can push another, more preferred skater, higher in the rankings. Some people do follow figure skating as a sport, not as works of art.

I'll continue rooting for others to fail to improve Kihira's chances of winning.

What? That makes no sense:slink:

Scott512

Record Breaker

Kihira would probably appreciate your support as a fan. But I doubt she would appreciate you rooting for her competition to fail. A lot of people here will find your comment quite peculiar. Rika can stand on her own two feet and win on her own merits. I doubt she wants her fans rooting for others to fail.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
What? That makes no sense:slink:

It's not a hard concept to understand at all. It's like the basketball/American football payoffs race where you hope other teams lose just so your team can make it in. Or at the world cup where you hope certain teams from other groups lose/tie their matches just so your favorite team will get to face the weaker team in the round of 16. That's what most fans in the majority of other sports do. They hope for the failure/under performance of their favorites rivals so the path can be easier for their favorite.

Lord knows I lost count the many times, way back then, I closed my eyes and hoped Michelle's main competition would fall just to make things easier for her. So its not surprising other people might think that every failure of Evgenia has makes things easier for Liza or Alina's chance to make worlds if the 3A fail and vice versa.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Kihira would probably appreciate your support as a fan. But I doubt she would appreciate you rooting for her competition to fail. A lot of people here will find your comment quite peculiar. Rika can stand on her own two feet and win on her own merits. I doubt she wants her fans rooting for others to fail.

What does it matter what Rika wants? :scratch2:

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I have to say, Sasha's costume change is a lot better with better cameras :laugh: But I wish that she would just stick with the darker coloured dress. I like it a lot more than the lighter version.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
It's not a hard concept to understand at all. It's like the basketball/American football payoffs race where you hope other teams lose just so your team can make it in. Or at the world cup where you hope certain teams from other groups lose/tie their matches just so your favorite team will get to face the weaker team in the round of 16. That's what most fans in the majority of other sports do. They hope for the failure/under performance of their favorites rivals so the path can be easier for their favorite.

Lord knows I lost count the many times, way back then, I closed my eyes and hoped Michelle's main competition would fall just to make things easier for her. So its not surprising other people might think that every failure of Evgenia has makes things easier for Liza or Alina's chance to make worlds if the 3A fail and vice versa.

So I get wanting other skaters to "not do as well" so my favorites can win. To me that's not the same as rooting for someone to "fail." I don't wish any skater to have a disastrous skate. Yes, there are times when I do get excited that a skater misses an element or makes a mistake because that leaves an opening for another skater to win. But I'm never looking for anyone to do terribly, to embarrass themself, or to risk getting hurt in a fall.

To me its not the same to root for a team to lose as it is to root for an individual competitor to "fail." These are teenage girls and young adults putting themself out there for the world as an individual. A team shares the pain of defeat across its members. You root for this entity to fail so your team can win. That doesn't feel the same as wishing failure on an individual person who must bare all the burden (especially when this is a teenager). Teams have the support of their members. And usually its never the fault of one individual on a team, even if they made a critical mistake, the team had to put themselves in a position for it to be possible for a mistake that costs victory and that is shared.