2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 573 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

readernick

Medalist
Sounds like he did not get the memo.

#BeTheTed

Much more difficult, and more enlightening, to listen to Ted’s style of commentary:agree:

Especially with the seniors, because he is more critical of them than the juniors but it does it in such a constructive way.

readernick

Medalist
Kihira would probably appreciate your support as a fan. But I doubt she would appreciate you rooting for her competition to fail. A lot of people here will find your comment quite peculiar. Rika can stand on her own two feet and win on her own merits. I doubt she wants her fans rooting for others to fail.

Definitely not. She is very complimentary of her competitors. She only cares about going clean and doing her best. The same is true for most other top skaters. ( although, I am sure they don't cry if another skaters error leads to their victory 🤣🤣)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Definitely not. She is very complimentary of her competitors. She only cares about going clean and doing her best. The same is true for most other top skaters. ( although, I am sure they don't cry if another skaters error leads to their victory ����)

I highly doubt this. Exhibition A: Michelle Kwan.

neusw

On the Ice
I have to say, Sasha's costume change is a lot better with better cameras :laugh: But I wish that she would just stick with the darker coloured dress. I like it a lot more than the lighter version.

True, and I also wish they would've gone for more interesting/vibrant colors. The reason Anna's change is so effective is because the bright red is a complete contrast to the blue. If sasha's dress went from, for example, a soft pretty yellow/green to a deep rich purple, it would be more visually compelling. The close-up video of the dark dress is really quite beautiful, but under competition lighting from a distance the sparkly details are not as visible.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
True, and I also wish they would've gone for more interesting/vibrant colors. The reason Anna's change is so effective is because the bright red is a complete contrast to the blue. If sasha's dress went from, for example, a soft pretty yellow/green to a deep rich purple, it would be more visually compelling. The close-up video of the dark dress is really quite beautiful, but under competition lighting from a distance the sparkly details are not as visible.
I do really like the dark dress. Maybe they could add more sparkle? I feel like the white washes her out on the ice.

neusw

On the Ice
I do really like the dark dress. Maybe they could add more sparkle? I feel like the white washes her out on the ice.

It really is surprising the amount of rhinestones that are needed for sparkles to show up on camera. I was at GPF last year and remembered Alina's Carmen dress lit up like a disco ball in real life, but on camera it always just looked...black.

E

eterialskater

Definitely not. She is very complimentary of her competitors. She only cares about going clean and doing her best. The same is true for most other top skaters. ( although, I am sure they don't cry if another skaters error leads to their victory 🤣🤣)

I'm pretty sure you do. When one cannot rely on your favorite's ability then a little fortuitous errors from her opponents would be welcome. That's fine but I prefer to trust their ability and talent. I could only imagine the shock of these people when they were already celebrating a title that never happened because they were so sure Zagitova was going to bomb. Off the podium as far as I can remember.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I'm pretty sure you do. When one cannot rely on your favorite's ability then a little fortuitous errors from her opponents would be welcome. That's fine but I prefer to trust their ability and talent. I could only imagine the shock of these people when they were already celebrating a title that never happened because they were so sure Zagitova was going to bomb. Off the podium as far as I can remember.

I don’t feel like doing this when I watch competitions with my favorite skaters. I was lucky, of course, that my favorites are 3A. But to be honest, I know this feeling as a response to overt injustice, most often it is a response to insane judicial favoritism and double standards.

PekkaRink

Rinkside
I can only imagine what has been happening on the competition chat, but I think there’s indeed a difference between maybe hoping for some little mistakes so that your favorite has it easier and just plain „Schadenfreude“ as they call it in German. I assume some people (not necessarily in here, generally) were just happy that Zhenya had a rough skate, regardless of her being a threat to their favorites or not. And that’s disturbing.

It was really hard to watch, after the awkward landing on 3F I was impressed by the determined look on her face and how she pulled that 3T - I thought okay, she got this. And then came 2A and the nasty fall, where for a brief moment she looked as if she were seriously injured. Unbelievable how she could still compose herself and do the step sequence. I hope she has a redemption FS, it must have been incredibly rough.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I assume some people (not necessarily in here, generally) were just happy that Zhenya had a rough skate, regardless of her being a threat to their favorites or not. And that’s disturbing.

And it is truly disturbing as you say. That's what I was talking about. Joy simply from seeing people fail.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I can only imagine what has been happening on the competition chat, but I think there’s indeed a difference between maybe hoping for some little mistakes so that your favorite has it easier and just plain „Schadenfreude“ as they call it in German. I assume some people (not necessarily in here, generally) were just happy that Zhenya had a rough skate, regardless of her being a threat to their favorites or not. And that’s disturbing.

It was really hard to watch, after the awkward landing on 3F I was impressed by the determined look on her face and how she pulled that 3T - I thought okay, she got this. And then came 2A and the nasty fall, where for a brief moment she looked as if she were seriously injured. Unbelievable how she could still compose herself and do the step sequence. I hope she has a redemption FS, it must have been incredibly rough.

Zhenya is a fighter, we all know that. If someone can come back from this it is Zhenya. But it seems to me that she has lost all her jumps, they all look very weak even if she lands them. We'll see tonight, she might come back, but I also fear she might have another meltdown.

starla16

Medalist
Looks like Liza is still in it for the GPF, she just needs a silver in Cup of China higher than Tennels SA correct ? just to secure a chance.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Averbukh commenting the event was pure gold, lmao! He was BRUTAL!!! :laugh2:

Was that on the internet live stream? I watched the 1TV HD IPTV and since that was a delayed recording, perhaps Grishin and Averbukh redid the commentary?

I cannot imagine a professional like Averbukh tearing down like that a principal cast member in his New Year ice show.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Looks like Liza is still in it for the GPF, she just needs a silver in Cup of China higher than Tennels SA correct ? just to secure a chance.

I think it will be difficult for Liza if Bradie makes the podium tonight. Then it will be the combined score that separates them and Bradie had a pretty good score at SA and I expect a similar score tonight.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I think it will be difficult for Liza if Bradie makes the podium tonight. Then it will be the combined score that separates them and Bradie had a pretty good score at SA and I expect a similar score tonight.

When you rate Tennell and Tuktamysheva's skating side by side, my preference overall would be Tennell, cleaner, more complete, more invested. I hope the judging proves this and I agree without further questioning ;-)

skatenewbie

Medalist
Bradie's UR might hinder her. In SA its uncalled but at SP the tech panel already called her 3-3, if she skate like in SA we could see 5-10 point loss if her UR get called

readernick

Medalist

Your pretty sure I do what? Did you respond to the wrong comment? Your comment is so combative given the fact that all I said was that Rika is always complimentary of her competitors and I never root for someone to fail. I don't. I find failure heartbreaking. I don't like seeing anyone crushed.

And, as for the last year's world's. Frankly, Alina won because Rika fell twice. A clean Rika would have won. So, her victory did depend on another's failure. I guess that means you can't rely her and have to hope for another's failure? According to your logic?

Anyway, I was still happy for Alina. It was a great end to her bad year. And, a good learning experience for Rika. I don't root for others to fail, I root for my favorites to do well.

readernick

Medalist
Zhenya is a fighter, we all know that. If someone can come back from this it is Zhenya. But it seems to me that she has lost all her jumps, they all look very weak even if she lands them. We'll see tonight, she might come back, but I also fear she might have another meltdown.

This isn't true at all. Her jumps in practice have a height and flow they never had before and her SS are much improved.. what she lacks now is competition nerves. And, they are often more than any skill or talent. Sometimes it is very easy to have no fear at 16 but gets harder as you approach adulthood. Also, training with Eteri means you are competing with your rivals everyday. So, those girls are ready for competition, it is just like a normal day in the rink. Med has a lot of great skaters at her rink but they aren't her direct competitors. I imagine competitions are much harder now because she deals with stress she doesn't experience everyday.