2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

moriel

Record Breaker
Eh not sure if i agree entirely.

They did accept 3 Eteri skaters to sweep the podium at RN but at the same time they were very against the idea of sending 2 Mishin skaters from the same discipline to Worlds.

It all comes down to that list of people who vote for these decisions and if you look at where they come from, most of them are from Moscow and work there, and each of them protect their groups like for example we know Elena Tchaikovskaya is more pro Eteri, while Tarasova is pro Buyanova,... The only two from that group they'd support Mishin skaters are probably Tamara Moskvina and Oleg Vasilijev.

Konstantinova and to some extent Chebotareva's group is probably the only exception of skaters from SPB who are getting some recognition even from muscovites.

That was nationals, not Worlds or Euros teams.
Also, those were juniors who were not competing for team spots.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
That was nationals, not Worlds or Euros teams.
Also, those were juniors who were not competing for team spots.

But they made a case for it, so it wouldn't be too strange to see it again this year (and all these three girls are eligible for senior Worlds this time)

Not that i'm against it, i think last year they deserved these medals, but there is no way you would see that from 3 SPB skaters even if they are objectively better.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Why didn't Trusova compete at Sr. Russian Nationals in 2018? Kostornaia competed there. I'm only asking because if Valieva competes at SrRN, she has a good chance of winning. Of course she won't be eligible for senior international events, but she could make a huge statement to the older girls that their time has passed.

The Eteri era has arrived. I don't think RusFed will have any choice but to put only Eteri students on the World team. Who does Buyanova have that could beat even one Eteri skater? Konstantinova? Not likely. Mishin has Liza and Sofia, but they really are very weak skaters. Liza is the definition of all jumps and nothing else. Sofia's skating skills just aren't good. It would be outrageous if Eteri students go 1-4 at Nationals yet one or two are off the World team just because RSF wants to spread out the coaches.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
While I agree with your assessment and explanation we must understand that 3a are much much much more talented and gifted than the girls you mentioned. But they should have to go through the normal growing pains and adjustments. It will be fascinating to see unfold.

Are they really that much more talented? Without the quads I can see Anna and especially Sasha go down very quickly to fighting to be in the Russian top ten. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them both succeed come next season. But I am also a bit worried that the high tech content might not be consistent.
Alena is a different story though, and somehow I have a gut feeling she might be the one that will make a big breakthrough next season.
But it's anyones guess. Who knows - maybe Gubanova and/or Tarusina will slay them all next year...:biggrin:

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Why didn't Trusova compete at Sr. Russian Nationals in 2018? Kostornaia competed there. I'm only asking because if Valieva competes at SrRN, she has a good chance of winning. Of course she won't be eligible for senior international events, but she could make a huge statement to the older girls that their time has passed.

The Eteri era has arrived. I don't think RusFed will have any choice but to put only Eteri students on the World team. Who does Buyanova have that could beat even one Eteri skater? Konstantinova? Not likely. Mishin has Liza and Sofia, but they really are very weak skaters. Liza is the definition of all jumps and nothing else. Sofia's skating skills just aren't good. It would be outrageous if Eteri students go 1-4 at Nationals yet one or two are off the World team just because RSF wants to spread out the coaches.

You have to be 14 to skate at Sr. Nats. Kostornaia had turned 14 but Trusova hadn't (Kostornaia is about 10 months older than Trusova). So no, Valieva and her peers will not be eligible this year even though it would've made it even more interesting (Kanysheva will be eligible though). But I think it will be interesting enough as it is, with the depth of Russian ladies. As for the Eteri question, I think if the right circumstances happen, they could push Evgenia or Tukt onto a team. But that would mean that one or several of the Eteri girls would have to mess up. If Alina skates clean, she will get the highest GOEs and PCS if only because she is reigning OGM and WGM (although I think she deserves high scores anyways). Then there's Trusova and Shcherbakova who have quads, which will be hard to beat if they hit some/all of their quads. Sadly I could see the fed pushing Evgenia over Alena if they both skate clean (which imo wouldn't be fair but I can see it happening already). So if one of the three I mentioned before messes up, they would probably put Evgenia onto the team before Kostornaia. Of course, this is granted they all go clean/have good seasons, and granted neither of the latter two get quads/3A back but as we've seen, we really can't predict what is going to happen and its not likely that every single one of them will be perfect at nationals. I do hope that 3 Eteri girls end up going, just because they are my favorites at the moment and I think the 3A have something special. Plus, with 3 Eteri Russians plus Lilbet, she could have four legitimate medal contenders in one division at worlds, has that ever happened before? :laugh:

moriel

Record Breaker
You have to be 14 to skate at Sr. Nats. Kostornaia had turned 14 but Trusova hadn't (Kostornaia is about 10 months older than Trusova). So no, Valieva and her peers will not be eligible this year even though it would've made it even more interesting (Kanysheva will be eligible though). But I think it will be interesting enough as it is, with the depth of Russian ladies. As for the Eteri question, I think if the right circumstances happen, they could push Evgenia or Tukt onto a team. But that would mean that one or several of the Eteri girls would have to mess up. If Alina skates clean, she will get the highest GOEs and PCS if only because she is reigning OGM and WGM (although I think she deserves high scores anyways). Then there's Trusova and Shcherbakova who have quads, which will be hard to beat if they hit some/all of their quads. Sadly I could see the fed pushing Evgenia over Alena if they both skate clean (which imo wouldn't be fair but I can see it happening already). So if one of the three I mentioned before messes up, they would probably put Evgenia onto the team before Kostornaia. Of course, this is granted they all go clean/have good seasons, and granted neither of the latter two get quads/3A back but as we've seen, we really can't predict what is going to happen and its not likely that every single one of them will be perfect at nationals. I do hope that 3 Eteri girls end up going, just because they are my favorites at the moment and I think the 3A have something special. Plus, with 3 Eteri Russians plus Lilbet, she could have four legitimate medal contenders in one division at worlds, has that ever happened before? :laugh:

They can do literally what they did this year - add aditional competitions until one of the girls bombs, to push the skater they want.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mishin has Liza and Sofia, but they really are very weak skaters. Liza is the definition of all jumps and nothing else. Sofia's skating skills just aren't good. It would be outrageous if Eteri students go 1-4 at Nationals yet one or two are off the World team just because RSF wants to spread out the coaches.

Are you actually serious?! Liza is a wonderful performer!

And Sofia? Oh yeah her skating skills are atrocious look at how often she falls - oh wait that's right she doesn't.

Glad to see the criticism of Mishin's technique is aimed at two skaters now instead of just one (remember how awful a skater Plushy was? To think he won three World Championships, 7 Euros and an Olympic gold guess all the judges were high every last one of them).

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah, let’s not confuse skating skills with consistency, folks.

It's still ridiculous either way. Just because Sofia and Liza don't do 60000 pointless and annoying transitions every program doesn't make them useless, unworthy skaters.

You can simply say you don't like their style you know, you don't have to pretend they're hacks to justify it. It's insulting and I'm sick of it.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Are they really that much more talented? Without the quads I can see Anna and especially Sasha go down very quickly to fighting to be in the Russian top ten. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them both succeed come next season. But I am also a bit worried that the high tech content might not be consistent.
Alena is a different story though, and somehow I have a gut feeling she might be the one that will make a big breakthrough next season.
But it's anyones guess. Who knows - maybe Gubanova and/or Tarusina will slay them all next year...:biggrin:

Good counterpoint on your part in part it's the quads that separate two of the girls from the rest. But I forgot that you put Anastasia Gubanova on your list. The advantage 3A has of course is their technical prowess and higher scoring routines. I think Alena even though she doesn't do quads or triple axels will adjust well to the senior circuit because her skating is so sound and so beautiful the judges will like her too. Although I've noticed another beautiful skater Nastya Gubanova regularly get scored low and is having a hard time breaking out of that. That will be a key to her season in 2019/2020.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Good counterpoint on your part in part it's the quads that separate two of the girls from the rest. But I forgot that you put Anastasia Gubanova on your list. The advantage 3A has of course is their technical prowess and higher scoring routines. I think Alena even though she doesn't do quads or triple axels will adjust well to the senior circuit because her skating is so sound and so beautiful the judges will like her too. Although I've noticed another beautiful skater Nastya Gubanova regularly get scored low and is having a hard time breaking out of that. That will be a key to her season in 2019/2020.

Yes. Let's hope for a good season for Gubanova:luv17: First step, I desperately want her to get GP spot(s).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
As there are 12 Russian ladies eligible for GP spots next year, which is 3 too many, do you think that RusFed will come up with arguments to change the rules so that all 12 can get two GP spots??

Happy Skates

Final Flight

I disagree that its just quads separating Anna and Sasha. In the case of Sasha, not only can she do 4 different quads including a now somewhat consistent and huge quad toe (which imo is enough to separate her a huge amount alone), but she has the best consistency on triple jumps I've ever seen, apart from maybe Tarusina, but Sasha does more difficult triples and her jumps are higher. Sasha also has the most effortless lutz-loop I've ever seen. Even without quads I think she would be near the top (just look at this years RusNats, she was second after the sp without any quads). And as we've seen this year, even if the quads aren't consistent, she still gets high scores, because the quads for the most part replace double jumps and she still has a bunch of consistent triples in the routine.
And as for Anna, omg imo she has the best musicality of any Russian lady (there are others that are also extremely good, but no one imo that is better than her, maybe some that are equal). Not only does she do the most difficult layout of triples including the most difficult combos, but her musicality and flexibility also set her apart. Even without quads, when she hits, she should not have trouble being among the top. She is the full package.
and P.S., I'd love for Gubanova or Tarusina to come and slay next year. I'm especially hoping for Gubanova to get a Grand Prix. Its just too bad there can only be so many on a team, but of course I wouldn't count them out.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

I disagree that its just quads separating Anna and Sasha. In the case of Sasha, not only can she do 4 different quads including a now somewhat consistent and huge quad toe (which imo is enough to separate her a huge amount alone), but she has the best consistency on triple jumps I've ever seen, apart from maybe Tarusina, but Sasha does more difficult triples and her jumps are higher. Sasha also has the most effortless lutz-loop I've ever seen. Even without quads I think she would be near the top (just look at this years RusNats, she was second after the sp without any quads). And as we've seen this year, even if the quads aren't consistent, she still gets high scores, because the quads for the most part replace double jumps and she still has a bunch of consistent triples in the routine.
And as for Anna, omg imo she has the best musicality of any Russian lady (there are others that are also extremely good, but no one imo that is better than her, maybe some that are equal). Not only does she do the most difficult layout of triples including the most difficult combos, but her musicality and flexibility also set her apart. Even without quads, when she hits, she should not have trouble being among the top. She is the full package.
and P.S., I'd love for Gubanova or Tarusina to come and slay next year. I'm especially hoping for Gubanova to get a Grand Prix. Its just too bad there can only be so many on a team, but of course I wouldn't count them out.

As there are 12 Russian ladies eligible for GP spots next year, which is 3 too many, do you think that RusFed will come up with arguments to change the rules so that all 12 can get two GP spots??
tbh I think this would be the most fair solution (has there ever been a situation like this year before?) , but I doubt the isu would allow it to happen :(

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
tbh I think this would be the most fair solution (has there ever been a situation like this year before?) , but I doubt the isu would allow it to happen :(

The GP spots next year is for sure a big questionmark.

We have Zagitova, Medvedeva and Samodurova guaranteed two spots due to Worlds.
That's six spots.

Tuktamysheva and Konstantinova are both on the SB list and the World ranking list, so they might get two?
That's ten spots.

There could be an argument that Trusova as Junior champion will get two?
That's twelve spots.

Six spots left and six skaters left!! Will Shcherbakova, Kostornaia, Sakhanovich, Tarusina, Gubanova and Sotskova all get only one spot?? Or will RusFed cut three skaters so that others will get two spots?? That is next seasons's BIG question...:scratch2:

Keep in mind that in 2016 RusFed didn't give GP spots to Sakhanovich and Sotskova, although both were on the SB list.
Same happened in 2018 with Konstantinova.

Is Shcherbakova at risk here??

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight

Ladies' SP = without quads, at RusNat2019 after SP Sasha was 2nd, Alёna was 3rd, Anna 5th (and only 0.31 points less than Alёna).

I can predict comments about puberty, but "preceding" Eteri's rising stars had no problem in their first senior seasons, and were main gold contenders at any competition during their puberty (Evgenia and Alina). And I'm sure that Eteri's coaching skill doesn't decline from year to year but improves.

Amei

Record Breaker

That's six spots.

Tuktamysheva and Konstantinova are both on the SB list and the World ranking list, so they might get two?
That's ten spots.

That's twelve spots.

Six spots left and six skaters left!! Will Shcherbakova, Kostornaia, Sakhanovich, Tarusina, Gubanova and Sotskova all get only one spot?? Or will RusFed cut three skaters so that others will get two spots?? That is next seasons's BIG question...:scratch2:

Keep in mind that in 2016 RusFed didn't give GP spots to Sakhanovich and Sotskova, although both were on the SB list.

Their 2019 Sr. Russian Nationals winner?

Happy Skates

Final Flight

That's six spots.

That's ten spots.

That's twelve spots.

Trusova is also on the SB and WS list, although someone on here told me that that doesn't guarantee you two, you're just guaranteed one if you're on either of those lists. But I seriously doubt RusFed is going to let Tuktamysheva, Trusova, Kostornaia, or Shcherbakova go with only one GP - that wouldn't be good for them and they are a powerful Fed so I'm sure it won't happen. I'm almost sure they'll cut at least on or two of the girls on the SB list. Sadly for Sakhanovich, I think she'll be first on the chopping block considering she didn't even qualify to nationals and then didn't have a great performance at RCF. After that I'd say maybe Sotskova - previously I was afraid they would still give her one or two over Gubanova or Tarusina, but since she just moved away from Buyanova she might not be getting as much politicking. Plus, the season she had doesn't give her a good case for RusFed to fight for her to get one. I'm also afraid they might cut one of Gubanova/Tarusina to try to give Konstantinova two... but oh please that cannot happen... Gubanova has been wronged so many times already. She deserves a GP, and so does Tarusina, if not two each. I'd say that Evgenia, Alina, Elizaveta, Alexandra, Anna, Alena and Sofia are going to definitely get two. That leaves four spots with five girls left. I'd guess that those four spots will be split amongst Konstantinova, Tarusina, and Gubanova, with one of them getting two. Tarusina/Gubanova would deserve two more because they are higher on the SB list, but since RusFed loves Konstantinova they might fight for her to get two. I could also see Tarusina, Gubanova, Konstantinova, and Sotskova getting one each, if Sotskova hasn't completely lost her political favor yet. The worst case possibility imo is that Konstantinova and Sotskova get two each with Tarusina and Gubanova both being left out.

karina17

Final Flight
Yes I know. It doesn't make sense to leave out Anna. But who will they cut if they have to?

I wouldn't be surprised if they cut Sakhanovich and Sotskova again. Or even Tarusina, as consistent as she is. They don't seem to favour Gubanova either, but that might change since she's with CSKA now. I think of the six girls you mentioned, Anna and Alena are the least at risk of being left out, especially Anna because it's going to be very odd if their national champion doesn't get two GP spots.