2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Trusova is also on the SB and WS list, although someone on here told me that that doesn't guarantee you two, you're just guaranteed one if you're on either of those lists. But I seriously doubt RusFed is going to let Tuktamysheva, Trusova, Kostornaia, or Shcherbakova go with only one GP - that wouldn't be good for them and they are a powerful Fed so I'm sure it won't happen. I'm almost sure they'll cut at least on or two of the girls on the SB list. Sadly for Sakhanovich, I think she'll be first on the chopping block considering she didn't even qualify to nationals and then didn't have a great performance at RCF. After that I'd say maybe Sotskova - previously I was afraid they would still give her one or two over Gubanova or Tarusina, but since she just moved away from Buyanova she might not be getting as much politicking. Plus, the season she had doesn't give her a good case for RusFed to fight for her to get one. I'm also afraid they might cut one of Gubanova/Tarusina to try to give Konstantinova two... but oh please that cannot happen... Gubanova has been wronged so many times already. She deserves a GP, and so does Tarusina, if not two each. I'd say that Evgenia, Alina, Elizaveta, Alexandra, Anna, Alena and Sofia are going to definitely get two. That leaves four spots with five girls left. I'd guess that those four spots will be split amongst Konstantinova, Tarusina, and Gubanova, with one of them getting two. Tarusina/Gubanova would deserve two more because they are higher on the SB list, but since RusFed loves Konstantinova they might fight for her to get two. I could also see Tarusina, Gubanova, Konstantinova, and Sotskova getting one each, if Sotskova hasn't completely lost her political favor yet. The worst case possibility imo is that Konstantinova and Sotskova get two each with Tarusina and Gubanova both being left out.

I totally agree! Worst case scenario is that Tarusina and Gubanova will be left out. I really hope they cut Sotskova, she didn't prove anything this season. And Sakhanovich, yes, she had a terrible skate at RCF.
With those two away from the equation...I wonder if they will give one spot to Tarusina, Gubanova and Konstantinova...and then save the host pick at Rostelecom for the one who performs the best?

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I totally agree! Worst case scenario is that Tarusina and Gubanova will be left out. I really hope they cut Sotskova, she didn't prove anything this season. And Sakhanovich, yes, she had a terrible skate at RCF.
With those two away from the equation...I wonder if they will give one spot to Tarusina, Gubanova and Konstantinova...and then save the host pick at Rostelecom for the one who performs the best?

That seems like a great idea, give them each one spot and whoever does the best at test skates gets the third! (I think they have to submit the name before the actual GP series starts unlike JGP, so they couldn't wait to see who did well at her first assignment unfortunately). If only we were RusFed :laugh:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
That seems like a great idea, give them each one spot and whoever does the best at test skates gets the third! (I think they have to submit the name before the actual GP series starts unlike JGP, so they couldn't wait to see who did well at her first assignment unfortunately). If only we were RusFed :laugh:

Yes if only:laugh: Rusfed kinda did that last year, they saved the host pick at Rostelecom to the last moment, then they gave it to Samodurova because of her performance at Skate America.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes if only:laugh: Rusfed kinda did that last year, they saved the host pick at Rostelecom to the last moment, then they gave it to Samodurova because of her performance at Skate America.

That's not actually correct. They gave Sofia the host spot on September 18th, about a month before Skate America.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
That's not actually correct. They gave Sofia the host spot on September 18th, about a month before Skate America.

Oh? Well I stand corrected. I really thought it was later...my bad. So I guess it was after Sofia's perfomance at the Lombardia Trophy?

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I am very excited about Anna's SP. It's new, it's dramatic, and she can totally pull it off. Can't wait to see it!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Are you actually serious?! Liza is a wonderful performer!

And Sofia? Oh yeah her skating skills are atrocious look at how often she falls - oh wait that's right she doesn't.

Glad to see the criticism of Mishin's technique is aimed at two skaters now instead of just one (remember how awful a skater Plushy was? To think he won three World Championships, 7 Euros and an Olympic gold guess all the judges were high every last one of them).

Yes. Let's hope for a good season for Gubanova:luv17: First step, I desperately want her to get GP spot(s).
Me too.

How many Grand Prix spots can she get? My guess is 1. And how many Challenger spots can she get?

Do you think Russian federation will make her skate Juniors to because she's still only sixteen and 3A won't be in juniors next season?

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
Did you see the last episode of GoT?
I knew they announced the Daenerys character a bit too early.
The task for Sasha and the team becomes more difficult now.

(I still wish they kept the music, but chose Arya for Anna)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The GP spots next year is for sure a big questionmark.

We have Zagitova, Medvedeva and Samodurova guaranteed two spots due to Worlds.
That's six spots.

Tuktamysheva and Konstantinova are both on the SB list and the World ranking list, so they might get two?
That's ten spots.

There could be an argument that Trusova as Junior champion will get two?
That's twelve spots.

Six spots left and six skaters left!! Will Shcherbakova, Kostornaia, Sakhanovich, Tarusina, Gubanova and Sotskova all get only one spot?? Or will RusFed cut three skaters so that others will get two spots?? That is next seasons's BIG question...:scratch2:

Keep in mind that in 2016 RusFed didn't give GP spots to Sakhanovich and Sotskova, although both were on the SB list.
Same happened in 2018 with Konstantinova.

Is Shcherbakova at risk here??

Shcherbakova and Kostornaya will get two spots, the other two goes to either Tarusina or Gubanova, TAT and Buyanova will decide, they are very close in scores and results.

I feel sorry for Sakhanovich because she has an higher PB than both Tarusina and Gubanova, but she didn't qualify for RN (arguargbly because of very difficult domestic fields, unlucky draw) and like i said in previous posts no big push from TAT or some other influential coach which often makes the difference in these situation. I wouldn't be mad if they give it to her though.

Sotskova, i hope not. I'm sorry but her last season was a trainwreck. Can she make a comeback? absolutely, but through the domestic competitions, there are more deserving skaters for GP spots.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Shcherbakova and Kostornaya will get two spots, the other two goes to either Tarusina or Gubanova, TAT and Buyanova will decide, they are very close in scores and results.

I feel sorry for Sakhanovich because she has an higher PB than both Tarusina and Gubanova, but she didn't qualify for RN (arguargbly because of very difficult domestic fields, unlucky draw) and like i said in previous posts no big push from TAT or some other influential coach which often makes the difference in these situation. I wouldn't be mad if they give it to her though.

Sotskova, i hope not. I'm sorry but her last season was a trainwreck. Can she make a comeback? absolutely, but through the domestic competitions, there are more deserving skaters for GP spots.

You are forgetting about Konstantinova, TAT's favorite. If anything, TAT will make a push for Konstantinova to get 2 spots, instead of Gubanova any day.

I think Tarusina is likely to stay in juniors another season, she can potentially achieve a lot more there next season than last, and her JGP performances were quite good, I think she was the first alternate for the final.
She will be completely unnoticeable in her first senior year, if she goes senior now.

I think Konstantinova will get 2, Sakhanovich and Gubanova might get 1 event each, and I think Sotskova will be cut.
With Tarusina and Tarakanova possibly staying in juniors, seems like a pretty good option for Rusfed.

From a disastrous season this year, I think Sorskova will either need to prove herself in senior B's next season, or there's no way. She was given plenty of chances for redemption this season, was even sent to the universiade, but this has been going on since the olympics and it's getting worse every time.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
You are forgetting about Konstantinova, TAT's favorite. If anything, TAT will make a push for Konstantinova to get 2 spots, instead of Gubanova any day.

I think Tarusina is likely to stay in juniors another season, she can potentially achieve a lot more there next season than last, and her JGP performances were quite good, I think she was the first alternate for the final.
She will be completely unnoticeable in her first senior year, if she goes senior now.

I think Konstantinova will get 2, Sakhanovich and Gubanova might get 1 event each, and I think Sotskova will be cut.
With Tarusina and Tarakanova possibly staying in juniors, seems like a pretty good option for Rusfed.

From a disastrous season this year, I think Sorskova will either need to prove herself in senior B's next season, or there's no way. She was given plenty of chances for redemption this season, was even sent to the universiade, but this has been going on since the olympics and it's getting worse every time.

I've already counted Konstantinova in following Jontor's logic.

2 spots: Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova, Konstantinova, Tuktamysheva, Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya and either Gubanova or Tarusina.

1 spot: none.

I don't see the point of giving only one spot to a skater, Tarusina seems ready for seniors in my opinion but i can see RusFed agreeing with you on keeping her in Juniors to ease the process.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I've already counted Konstantinova in following Jontor's logic.

2 spots: Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova, Konstantinova, Tuktamysheva, Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya and either Gubanova or Tarusina.

1 spot: none.

I don't see the point of giving only one spot to a skater, Tarusina seems ready for seniors in my opinion but i can see RusFed agreeing with you on keeping her in Juniors to ease the process.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Giving only 1 event I guess isn't worth it.
Well.. but makes me feel really bad for Gubanova or Sakhanovich. I feel like both need 1 gp to start getting back on their feet, would be such a big motivation for them .
On the other hand, I think that neither is in contention for medals anyways, so it makes no difference to award 2 event to 1 girl, because none of these 2 have any chances to get into gpf.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Oh ok, that makes sense. Giving only 1 event I guess isn't worth it.
Well.. but makes me feel really bad for Gubanova or Sakhanovich. I feel like both need 1 gp to start getting back on their feet, would be such a big motivation for them .
On the other hand, I think that neither is in contention for medals anyways, so it makes no difference to award 2 event to 1 girl, because none of these 2 have any chances to get into gpf.

They all deserve more, it shocks me that a skater like Maria Talalaykina is still mostly unknown despite she was fairly consistent this season, with all backloaded combos in her programs including 3ltz-3t, good level 4 spins, good skating skills, nice lines,...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwfMuBzDnCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb9kp-nWkn8

She would be national champion in Canada or any european country, in Russia she finished 15th at nationals.

Or Anastasia Gracheva, didn't even qualify for nationals last season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfB27H6qzA

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
They all deserve more, it shocks me that a skater like Maria Talalaykina is still mostly unknown despite she was fairly consistent this season, with all backloaded combos in her programs including 3ltz-3t, good level 4 spins, good skating skills, nice lines,...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwfMuBzDnCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb9kp-nWkn8

She would be national champion in Canada or any european country, in Russia she finished 15th at nationals.

Or Anastasia Gracheva, didn't even qualify for nationals last season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfB27H6qzA

russian field is so deep and so stacked, it's kind of crazy to think about it.
I really feel for all these girls, so many of them are so talented, yet some are barely making it to nationals.
Russian nationals will be harder to go through or even qualify to, than most major competitions, with new promising junior girls coming to the scene.

Amei

Record Breaker

Does it perhaps make sense to give Tarusina and Gubanova each a spot to help them get experience on the senior circuit and exposure to pressure to help the 'long game' of next season? I mean nothing is guaranteed in skating, the 3A could have issues this season - Kostornaya has mentioned in interviews that every time she starts to train the triple axel she gets little injuries, Zagitova's got knee issues, Medvedeva's got back issues, Tuktamysheva might be sick of the politics and being unlucky...I get that the 3A are the flashy new seniors but it would be good to have a fresh crop of back-ups that are experienced on the senior circuit in case they are needed.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
russian field is so deep and so stacked, it's kind of crazy to think about it.
I really feel for all these girls, so many of them are so talented, yet some are barely making it to nationals.
Russian nationals will be harder to go through or even qualify to, than most major competitions, with new promising junior girls coming to the scene.

Maybe some of these ladies should consider competing for Kazakhstan or Belarus? I think those federations would welcome them with open arms :)

Happy Skates

Final Flight

Honestly, I don't think there is any reason RusFed would or should keep Tarusina in juniors while giving Sakhanovich a GP. I feel for Sakhanovich, but Tarusina is way more consistent and has performed well at every event for the past two years, finished very well at nationals and RCF, and is from CSKA which helps her with the politicking. She's the ideal "backup" senior to have at a GP, ensuring there is someone there who will hit. I also think that the fact that Sakhanovich didn't go to nationals is going to hurt her greatly in this process. In addition, they don't really "need" Tarusina in juniors either. With the new Eteri trio, Kanysheva, Sinitsyna and Tarakanova, (and with new competition abroad from Liu) its not going to be easy to make the JGP final or JWorlds next year either, and she might get more out of being consistent on a senior stage.
I do agree that RusFed will try to give Konstantinova 2 and cut Sotskova, leaving one for Gubanova and Tarusina each (unless they do end up cutting one of them.... I try not to think about that situation, they've both proved themselves so much).

moriel

Record Breaker
Why those countries instead of Canada or America or England or Germany?

Because it is not trivial to switch countries, specially for singles (for pairs and dance is easier as you have weaker citizenship and so on restrictions).
Getting the citizenship is a major pain most of the time.
Then, living in Canada / America / England / Germany is expensive, much more expensive than eastern Europe or Kaz.
Then, there are language issues - its much easier to stay in a country where tons of people, if not all, speak Russian.