2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
In the past she has announced this early and the rest of Eteri's top skaters have already done so. Figure skating and performing does not necessarily equal competing.

People are asking this because there has been little news and they are interested to know what's going on.
You mean only last year? The year before it was announced in July.

In the context of that specific paragraph performing specifically means competing, as she continues to say she can possibly obtain numerous world titles and not just one, and she doesn’t care about any world records.

Anyways, as I said, there’s not much news about all skaters and not just Alina, because it’s off season, they’re having some time off and Alina’s on vacation with her family.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxXIhlLJmAs/
Just like Anna and Elizabeth, who are also on vacations right now with their families

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
I dont think we need to worry about the lack of new about alina yet, it is after all only may and isnt she on vacation? I think I saw pictures of that? (could be wrong though)

While her retiring is a posibility I dont think that she will this summer. I think she will do her best to be competitive at least one more season. She seams to be healty now and I dont see her retiring unless she is either injured badly (hope not) or she is no longer competetive (to many 3A/quads out there) so untill then I expect we will see her compete.

It seams that the tutberidze team is resasing the interesting information with ca 1 week intervals (either new quads or programs) so I think the others are coming up. This is probably an off season strategy on their part to keep fans exited through the summer and mabye they are saving the best (the world champion) 'till last.

sx98423

On the Ice
Why is it that regardless of what alina does people always speculate that she's gonna retire?

She has no more reason to retire compared to any other senior skater. She's stated several times that she likes the competition, her sponsorships are probably all based on her continuing to compete, her injuries aren't worse than any other skater, and I don't see how quads or 3A will be more of a threat to her compared to the other senior ladies.

pearly

Record Breaker
Why is it that regardless of what alina does people always speculate that she's gonna retire?

She has no more reason to retire compared to any other senior skater. She's stated several times that she likes the competition, her sponsorships are probably all based on her continuing to compete, her injuries aren't worse than any other skater, and I don't see how quads or 3A will be more of a threat to her compared to the other senior ladies.

Probably because she has won all the major events and has struggled a lot with confidence, injuries etc last season. Hope she is just recovering from it all right now and continues.

halulupu

Final Flight
Probably because she has won all the major events and has struggled a lot with confidence, injuries etc last season. Hope she is just recovering from it all right now and continues.

she is the reigning world champion and olympic champion. Just saying

Finley

Record Breaker

Nothing like winning the World Championship by a nice healthy margin to restore your confidence!

It's also worth noting that she skated without any tape on her knees at that competition. The best that she's skated all season. A sign that perhaps her struggles with knee pain are behind her? Since Osgood Schlatters is something you outgrow it stands to reason that Alina may have outgrown it. It's actually possible that if she continues to skate this coming season she will be able to experience competitive skating at the highest level without that particular pain!

I would imagine that to be pretty encouraging as well! If she accomplished everything that she accomplished while skating through pain, let's see what she can do without that pain hindering her.

Finley

Record Breaker

I think some people speculate because they want it to be true. They want her to retire for the same reason they thought she shouldn't go to Worlds. Not because she needed to rest. They are fans of other skaters and there are 3 spots for Russian ladies on the World, Euro & Olympic teams in the upcoming seasons. There are way too many talented skaters and Alina is potentially in the way of their skater of choice.

Some people just like to speculate for the sake of discussion. It's usually pretty easy to spot the difference in agenda.

leilaraj

On the Ice
I think some people speculate because they want it to be true. They want her to retire for the same reason they thought she shouldn't go to Worlds. Not because she needed to rest. They are fans of other skaters and there are 3 spots for Russian ladies on the World, Euro & Olympic teams in the upcoming seasons. There are way too many talented skaters and Alina is potentially in the way of their skater of choice.

Some people just like to speculate for the sake of discussion. It's usually pretty easy to spot the difference in agenda.

Actually no! I‘m a big fan and supporter of her and I am wondering also if she will continue. She won it all and one could say after all these struggles her WC title was the cherry on top. Every athlete, who wants to retire, would want to leave on a high note. With all the technical advanced seniors next season, it would be harder than ever to compete and on top of that struggling with a chronic disease. As she said herself, she’s at a phase in her life where she struggles with her mindset and has this rebellious phase also with her coaching team. And with all the opportunities she has right now, it will be hard to focus on training.
I would love to see her at the next Olympics because she is one of a kind and also egoistically so I can see her live in Beijing.

Finley

Record Breaker
Actually no! I‘m a big fan and supporter of her and I am wondering also if she will continue. She won it all and one could say after all these struggles her WC title was the cherry on top. Every athlete, who wants to retire, would want to leave on a high note. With all the technical advanced seniors next season, it would be harder than ever to compete and on top of that struggling with a chronic disease. As she said herself, she’s at a phase in her life where she struggles with her mindset and has this rebellious phase also with her coaching team. And with all the opportunities she has right now, it will be hard to focus on training.
I would love to see her at the next Olympics because she is one of a kind and also egoistically so I can see her live in Beijing.

I did say that some people just like to speculate because they are curious or interested in having a conversation. :) Not everyone that is wondering wants her gone.

I am hoping she is either going to grow out of the chronic condition or has already done so. No tape on her knees for Worlds - the most important competition of the season! - would seem to indicate improvement in the condition. Not to mention she delivered her best skate of the year without those tapes. Fingers crossed.

Maybe if she isn't experiencing chronic pain in her knees training will be more enjoyable and that will translate into less anxiety at competitions. If she is able to train more she might find it easier to upgrade her technical content. All of this is pure speculation. Just hopeful thinking on my part and as always, wishing the best for her.

There is something to be said for going out on top. A lot of skaters have made this choice. Alina may do the same. But there are also the skaters like Plushenko who, even with nothing left to prove, fight to keep skating until the very limit of their physical capabilities.

Do I want that for Alina? No. But I will respect her choices whatever they may be. She has a bright future ahead with lots of options. For those concerned about her educational prospects, I am pretty sure she will finish school. She has been going to school all of this time she has been competing. Why would she stop now? As an Olympic Champion I believe her college tuition is paid for so she can get that college education whenever she wants after she graduates.

I'm also not worried about modeling and show opportunities for her. Pretty sure she can work a few into her schedule here and there and go full Sotnikova after she retires.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She is already a big name with lotsa money making contracts. She coulda just live on skating shows, do reality shows, modelling... there are things she could do, if she wanted to.

Not saying she should step down to make way for the wunderkids.... she can continue if she wants but, but she could just as well not. She did not strike to me as person who enjoys competing, the way Evgenia and some other girls. She seemed to often come on ice with look of panic in her eyes, she struggled with injuries and chronic pain...

Alina just got these major contracts in the past 6 months or so and her sponsors want her to remain competitive because that's where the money is in endorsements. Puma wants her to be competitive and win medals not to do shows with Plushenko or Yagudin. I am sure Puma will pay her less money if she's not competing internationally and doing shows instead.

Alina has also been quoted recently as saying she wants to continue competing. If her left knee becomes so troublesome then retirement becomes an option. But it's not at this point and I look forward to her scating wonderfully again for the third year in a row as a senior next season. only time will tell how long she skates in her competitive career but I hope she makes her 20s. If she's not on top at that point or even next season that's okay because she's already a GOAT winning the World championships capped off her season wonderfully and made her major sponsors like Puma and Sheishedo very very happy.

Scott512

Record Breaker

So true. Especially the part about how I Alina is in front of other people's favorites from Russia. I could understand the retirement talk if she was 21 or 22 but at 16 no way. and I still say she may want to hang around someday to skate in a Russian Nationals with her little sister if Sabina becomes good enough. That may be a long shot but possible. When Alina is 22 Sabina will be 16. I'm sure Alina notices what Liza is doing at 22 years old and how good she is at that age even after a few years of struggles.

And let's not forget even if you're not in the top three of the Russian ladies and you're a skater like Stasya or Gubanova etc. You are still so very good and thats to be admired too. Not everybody can be a Zagitova or Medvedeva and that's okay.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Me thinks on a contrary. If GoT will end the way Daenerys's fans wouldn't like - they will find consolation and solace in Trusova's powerfull and spunky image of an independend and strong female warrior. It feels like Dany G will do some go for it type of girl for Trusova with a powerful choreography. Regal. Not a mad queen. With a royal step sequence and a triumphant final spin at the very end of the program. Or smth. Daniil is clearly a GoT's fan and if he wont like the season's finale (like probably many other fans), he most likely will create his "own story" and will claim at the beginning of the season in September: "this is how it should have ended for Daenerys". Some GoT's fans will probably love him for that. Other half will be discussing this GoT program anyway. It will be the program people will talk about nonetheless. Choreo hopefully will be not based on the finale of GoT (if it ends badly), but will serve as an alternative history and a slap in the face to those 2 male writers - "this is how it should have ended for Daenerys, you schmucks". If Trusova skates well and in her usual powerful manner, GoT fans, feminsts and gays will looooOoooove her.

P.S. I dont really watch GoT myself. Not really my thing.

I've never watched any of it (probably never will) but I just keep wondering what it is that these writers did to the Daenerys character that got her fans so mad... :confused:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've never watched any of it (probably never will) but I just keep wondering what it is that these writers did to the Daenerys character that got her fans so mad... :confused:
Im only vaguely aware. Im not big on GoT. Sorry, you better ask someone else I guess. But yeah twitter is full of upset folks of different background and social ideological spectres. =) There are a lot of pissed of fans.

sx98423

On the Ice

My point was that all skaters struggle with this even ones that have won big competitions so I'm not sure why alina is the only one who needs to retire

Happy Skates

Final Flight
My point was that all skaters struggle with this even ones that have won big competitions so I'm not sure why alina is the only one who needs to retire

Exactly, I mean look at Hanyu, he's won the Olymics twice and has been injured for most of the season two seasons in a row, and certainly has had his struggles because of it. But no one seems to be suspecting that he'll retire.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

No one here in the past ten screens said Alina “needs” to retire. :think: She doesn’t. No skater who wants to continue does.

And even if they had, there are many many skaters whom fans have sought retirement for, Russian ladies or not. That type of speculation is legion. :think:

It is normal among skating fans to wonder *if* a skater will retire, a far cry from saying that they need to :think:

karina17

Final Flight
Alina herself: I don't intend to retire. I want to keep competing.

Some people: But does anybody know if Alina's still competing? I just don't think it's likely. I just don't know. Nobody knows for sure...oh, what a mystery.

lesnar001

Record Breaker

I hope she continues on to the next Olympics also.
I think she has so much more to give to the competitive skating world.
It would be quite awesome if you got to see her live too!

This doesn't mean that I expect her to dominate every competition in the next 4 years leading up to the Olympics.
With all the huge talent already out there and her own teammates becoming seniors, it will be nearly impossible for any one skater to dominate.

But she won Worlds this year by a significant margin. And she was competing against triple axels and a quad.
So I believe she is the non-quad/3A skater that is the most competitive against the quads/3A.

I remember last season the "doom and gloomers" were giving her the last rites because the backloading bonus was gone.
But basically the only thing that kept her from winning all her competitions this past season was her own inconsistency.

I also remember some were saying Eteri was pushing her too hard last season. As "evidenced" by the infamous practice at Europeans.
And when some report came out that between Europeans and Worlds she wasn't doing full run-throughs, it was seen as a good thing.
Now we see her Ice Shows, family vacation, and TV appearences and commercials as her undoing.
She's not practicing enough!!!!

In all the years I have followed skating, I have never seen a skater with this much God given talent, work ethic, and competitive spirt "marginalized" the way Alina is.

Others never come close to delivering the goods when it counts, but still the chant goes up "wait until next year".
Alina is extremely successful for the past 3 seasons, and yet....

Oh, if only so and so had been at this competition.
Oh, if only this one wasn't injured.
Alina can't compete without backloading.
She will be steamrolled by the upcoming onslaught of quads and triple axels.

Well....
I'm not naive. I know that if someone with much higher technical content skates cleanly they will beat Alina.

However, if they want to beat Alina, they pretty much know they need to execute all those high risk elements.
Much easier said than done. And any falls will probably mar other parts of the program too.

Yes, I know Alina needs to be clean too.
But her elements are not as high risk.

In conclusion,
Some of the wondering whether Alina will retire is legitimate. She has won Russian Nationals, The Olympics, and Worlds.
So it depends a lot on her motivation to continue training at intense levels and her love for the sport.

But stuff like "she looks panic stricken when she competes" and "she had such a rough time last season" - I see this once again as attempts to marginalize her. Like she is some fragile doll that can't handle adveristy and pressure.

pearly

Record Breaker
she is the reigning world champion and olympic champion. Just saying

Well I am aware of that, what does that have to do with my question?

No one here in the past ten screens said Alina “needs” to retire. :think: She doesn’t. No skater who wants to continue does.

And even if they had, there are many many skaters whom fans have sought retirement for, Russian ladies or not. That type of speculation is legion. :think:

It is normal among skating fans to wonder *if* a skater will retire, a far cry from saying that they need to :think:

Exactly, thank you. It's like you can't ask a question in this thread and get a simple answer.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I really wish Russian ladies could afford to have a half season or a full season off while still remain competitive, like what Yuna Kim did between 2010 and 2014 or Kostner late in her career. For Alina, I think good conditioning is very important. She does not need to enter every major competition and get exhausted. But in the crowded field of Russia, it is hard. I was thinking Liza T. could be an exception, but then I realized she never skipped any major competition when she was qualified.