2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

lesnar001

Record Breaker
How is that unfair? She has so many.

And the way the team went and talked about how Alina was so difficult this season... this season, she was the only one senior, they had things to prove with her after Evgenia leaving. Will they have enough emotional investment to coddle Alina next season?

I feel than in 2022, it will be somebody whom we do not know yet to be prime star of Team Tutberidze.

Since when was Alina the only senior for Eteri last season????

As for your less than flattering way of describing Alina and the struggles she and her team went through together this past season....

I stand by my earlier post today.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
It’s weird to think that now, there are no younger girls that can pop up for a spot on the Olympic team. Kamila and co are the last group.
It’s interesting that we already know the contenders for Russia

I mean, theoretically someone unknown that is Kamila's age could pop up the year before the Olympics. If you look at where Alina was this time last quad, she wasn't as good as Kamila is now, and she didn't compete internationally the first year she was eligible. It's really crazy how fast Alina rose if you think about it - she's only competed internationally for three seasons! And it could happen again (hard to imagine considering the talent that will be eligible next olys but possible).

asingingwife

Rinkside
I feel confident in saying most skating fans are not asking about Alina's future based on bad motives.

When I was growing up Oksana Baiul, Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes all won the Olympics at a young age and quickly retired. Honestly its what I expect :) If Evgenia had won I wouldn't have been surprised to see her retire either. Alina has been one of the few to continue going after so good for her! :)

If Alina says she wants to continue then let's assume she will until she says otherwise.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Let's play a game called "don't use the R(etire) word with any skater unless they explicitly state they will do so"... It would make for healthier, more constructive discussion on this thread. :pray:

For the sake of figure skating, we should hope and wish that every lady (including every russian lady) will have long and succesful senior careers, and by succesful I don't mean that they should medal at every competition, only that they will be able to skate clean, technically challenging yet artistically satisfying programs that they can feel proud of.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
Let's play a game called "don't use the R(etire) word with any skater unless they explicitly state they will do so"... It would make for healthier, more constructive discussion on this thread. :pray:

For the sake of figure skating, we should hope and wish that every lady (including every russian lady) will have long and succesful senior careers, and by succesful I don't mean that they should medal at every competition, only that they will be able to skate clean, technically challenging yet artistically satisfying programs that they can feel proud of.

YES!!!
I’m so tired of this retirement subject. Can’t people get over it? Can we talk about programs, technique, musicality, etc?

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I’ve been wanting to ask you guys in which elements should each russian lady work for the next season in order to be more competitive. And not just quads, I mean spins, step sequences, musicality, etc

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I’ve been wanting to ask you guys in which elements should each russian lady work for the next season in order to be more competitive. And not just quads, I mean spins, step sequences, musicality, etc

Anna Shcherbakova really needs to work on her spins. Same with Trusova. Alina can work on her posture more. Kostornaia is to me the complete package, and I don't see any weaknesses in her skating.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

I think Anna can work on consistency, and maybe jump height on some of the triples. Sasha can work on interpretation and quality of movement, and maybe on flexibility a bit. From seeing her choreo sequence this year, I think she has the potential to interpret softer music, so it will be interesting to see if any of that side comes out in either of her programs this year. Alena should work on expression more, not that she can't do it but most of her programs haven't required a variety of facial expressions - not that she did those programs badly, I think they have all been perfect, but it would be nice to see new programs that require a range of emotions. Alina, I think she should work on interpretation when she is under pressure, as in she can and does have good interpretation and beautiful programs with personality and grace, but I notice in the programs that have the most pressure on them (for example worlds 2019) she starts to focus on the jumps more and things can get a little bit off the music. Completely understandable considering how difficult her programs are but something to work on. Nastya Tarakanova can work on being a tad bit more refined and being more consistent (I miss her skating omg). Kamila can work on that pause in between jumps on her combo spin. Anyways I love them all and I could point out way more good things than bad, but this is what I think they can work on.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I think Anna can work on consistency, and maybe jump height on some of the triples. Sasha can work on interpretation and quality of movement, and maybe on flexibility a bit. From seeing her choreo sequence this year, I think she has the potential to interpret softer music, so it will be interesting to see if any of that side comes out in either of her programs this year. Alena should work on expression more, not that she can't do it but most of her programs haven't required a variety of facial expressions - not that she did those programs badly, I think they have all been perfect, but it would be nice to see new programs that require a range of emotions. Alina, I think she should work on interpretation when she is under pressure, as in she can and does have good interpretation and beautiful programs with personality and grace, but I notice in the programs that have the most pressure on them (for example worlds 2019) she starts to focus on the jumps more and things can get a little bit off the music. Completely understandable considering how difficult her programs are but something to work on. Nastya Tarakanova can work on being a tad bit more refined and being more consistent (I miss her skating omg). Kamila can work on that pause in between jumps on her combo spin. Anyways I love them all and I could point out way more good things than bad, but this is what I think they can work on.

I agree with all of this. Apart from Anna probably - she is actually very consistent, the only inconsistent thing is her 4Lz and 3Lz+3Lo which are the hardest jumps [emoji23]
Last year she grew a lot and her triples started getting higher so I think they will be improving every day as she gains strength

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
What? One of 3a will retire before Zhenya SS and Stasya? 1% chance that happens by my guesstimation. I can only think that you think it's risky for 3a to skate the way they do or train as hard as they do. Correct?

That's so mean and unfair!!! :shock2:

I look at history from that group, their skaters, what coaches say during interviews, interviews from former students (which even if it's not 100% accurate, there's always some truth), to make my own guesses on the Eteri's miracle, and i want to clarify that these are guesses on what's happening there, and what might happen going forward, not a personal opinion on what's good and what's bad (that's a whole separate debate):

- One thing we can all agree, is that they train hard, probably harder than any other group in Russia, maybe in the world. That's something you realize just by looking at the details in their programs, like spins, how fast and centered they always are, that alone we all know requires practicing: spinning is mostly an acquired skill, how good you are at spinning mostly depends on how much you train them.

We know from interviews they train each element hundreds of times, even without mentioning the most recent controversial one with Polina Shuboderova, i recall even Daniil Gleichengauz admitting that earlier last season: very early in the season Alina made the same mistake in the 2a in the SP two-three times, journalists asked them why not changing the entrance and Daniil said those were very unusual mistakes, cause out of hundreds of attempts at their rink Alina rarely made those mistakes. They probably track the failure rate of each element for every skater to see what's worth trying and what not. That's why Evgenia landed all kinds of combos in practice but in competition it was always 3F-3T, 3S-3T and 3Lo-3T (when she was missing the flip in the short)

I believe there is even a 1-2 months period (which the last interview mentions) where it's just crunch time to get things done (the rest is practicing for the muscle memory) and that's why Kanysheva for instance already has a 4T, when few months ago she was fine but a bit inconsistent with Panova dealing with only triples, sometimes underrotating them.

- Looking at their skaters throughout the years, to me Eteri/Sergei's coaching style seems very much trial and error, the catch is that they don't fix the mistakes with you but with the next one: they try several things with one skater, some of them works others don't, they keep those that worked and try to fix the mistakes with the next generation. That's one of the reasons why their next generation of skaters is most of the time better than the previous one (the other reason is that they have a wider pool to choose from now, so it is really cherry picking for them while previously Eteri and Sergei had to work with not the best talents)

- this point is very much a consequence of the previous one: they don't fix the elements as the body grows. Alina Zagitova is growing and she kept the same elements the way they were and things are starting to regress a little bit, if you look her 2a is now shorter and she often gets off axis in the air. Two seasons ago in juniors it was a strong element for her.

- Reading and hearing Eteri's interviews, she doesn't seem to care to keep a skater successful for many years to come, she wants to give the same chance to all her skaters, meaning most of her skaters have 1-2 years to win as much as possible. After that she will probably already have a new young group to push and you're no longer the leader, that's why skaters feel a bit disposable.

There are so many questions that haven't been answered yet, even regarding the future of 3A and some of them even Eteri and her staff can't really answer:

1) How RusFed will react to Eteri's getting all the spots all the time going forward? It's very likely 3A will sweep the podium at Nationals this year and that would mean all 3 spots for senior Worlds are going to Eteri's group, that will certainly create even more envy among the other coaches.

2) Will 3A stay with Eteri for the next 3 years? One easy solution for other coaches to prevent Eteri sweeping podiums left and right is to convince one of their skaters to switch. That went bad most of the time.

3) How much will 3A grow and will they keep this technique by 2022? By the time Olympics arrive, they will be 18-19 years old. Look at how many skaters from that group lasted that long. Not many.

4) How sustainable is that training approach with the quads and triple axel? Have you ever wondered why Eteri isn't as successful with the boys as she is with the girls? The official answer from Eteri is that "boys are too emotional", while i've always speculated for years that her training consists in a huge number of attempts for each element, they want to make sure everything is extremely consistent, now apply that to quads: we keep hearing from top male skaters because of the nature of the quad (higher, riskier) they can't be treated as triples, there are days of no jumping to avoid injuries.

I think that's a problem Eteri/Sergei have already identified and their solution is by reducing the height and increase the prerotation: look at Trusova, Shcherbakova, Samsonov quads, yes these elements are big considering the heights of these skaters but do you think Eteri/Sergei will increase the height of the quads as they grow? that's something i'm curious to see but i suspect the answer is no (but i guess that also depends on how the judges will score these smaller quads), Adian Pitkeev's 4T was bigger (and because of that much more inconsistent)

Finley

Record Breaker
How is that unfair? She has so many.

And the way the team went and talked about how Alina was so difficult this season... this season, she was the only one senior, they had things to prove with her after Evgenia leaving. Will they have enough emotional investment to coddle Alina next season?

I feel than in 2022, it will be somebody whom we do not know yet to be prime star of Team Tutberidze.

I'm quoting this post because it is the first post I have ever seen accusing Team Tutberidze of 'coddling' anyone. After spending this entire season reading various posts about Eteri & co. alternately starving, verbally abusing, injuring children with over training and basically being skating's version of Cruella deVille, let it be duly noted that Alina was coddled this season.

Given that her coaches probably get a portion of her earnings I bet they will find it in their hearts to keep up the coddling! If for no other reason than Alina's continued success benefits them financially. Happy Alina sponsors = more money for everyone.

So even if they can't bring themselves to support Alina out of the goodness of their hearts or actual human concern, I don't think she will be kicked to the curb just because of the other rising stars.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I look at history from that group, their skaters, what coaches say during interviews, interviews from former students (which even if it's not 100% accurate, there's always some truth), to make my own guesses on the Eteri's miracle, and i want to clarify that these are guesses on what's happening there, and what might happen going forward, not a personal opinion on what's good and what's bad (that's a whole separate debate):

- One thing we can all agree, is that they train hard, probably harder than any other group in Russia, maybe in the world. That's something you realize just by looking at the details in their programs, like spins, how fast and centered they always are, that alone we all know requires training.

We know from interviews they train each element hundreds of times, even without mentioning the most recent controversial one with Polina Shuboderova, i recall even Daniil Gleichengauz admitting that earlier last season: very early in the season Alina made the same mistake in the 2a in the SP two-three times, journalists asked them why not changing the entrance and Daniil said those were very unusual mistakes, cause out of hundreds of attempts at their rink Alina rarely made those mistakes. They probably track the failure rate of each element for every skater to see what's worth trying and what not. That's why Evgenia landed all kinds of combos in practice but in competition it was always 3F-3T, 3S-3T and 3Lo-3T (when she was missing the flip in the short)

I believe there is even a 1-2 months period (which the last interview mentions) where it's just crunch time to get things done (the rest is training for the muscle memory) and that's why Kanysheva for instance already has a 4T, when few months ago she was fine but a bit inconsistent with Panova with only triples.

- Looking at their skaters throughout the years, to me Eteri/Sergei's coaching style seems very much trial and error, the catch is that they don't fix the mistakes with you but with the next one: they try several things with one skater, some of them works others don't, they keep those that worked and try to fix the mistakes with the next generation. That's one of the reasons why their next generation of skaters is most of the time better than the previous one (the other reason is that they have a wider pool to choose from now, so it is really cherry picking for them while previously Eteri and Sergei had to work with not the best talents)

- this point is very much a consequence of the previous one: they don't fix the elements as the body grows. Alina Zagitova is growing and she kept the same elements the way they were and if you look her 2a is starting to look small, she often gets off axis in the air. Two seasons ago in juniors it was one a strong element for her.

- Reading and hearing Eteri's interviews, she doesn't seem to care to keep a skater successful for many years to come, she wants to give the same chance to all her skaters, meaning most of her skaters have 1-2 years to win as much as possible. After that she will probably already have a new young group to push and you're no longer the leader.

There are so many questions that haven't been answered yet, some of them even Eteri and her staff can't really answer:

1) How RusFed will react to Eteri's getting all the spots all the time going forward? It's very likely 3A will sweep the podium at Nationals this year and that would mean all 3 spots for senior Worlds are going to Eteri's group, that will certainly create even more envy among the other coaches.

2) Will 3A stay with Eteri for the next 3 years? One easy solution for other coaches to prevent Eteri sweeping podiums left and right is to convince one of their skaters to switch.

3) How much will 3A grow and will they keep this technique by 2022? By the time Olympics arrive, they will be 18-19 years old. Look at how many skaters from that group lasted that long. Not many.

4) How sustainable is that training style with the quads and triple axel? Have you ever wondered why Eteri isn't as successful with the boys as she is with the girls? The official answer from Eteri is that "boys are too emotional", while i've always speculated for years that her training consists in a huge number of attempts for each element, they want to make sure everything is extremely consistent, now applies that to quads: we keep hearing from top male skaters because of the nature of the quad (higher, riskier) they can't be treated as triples, there are days of no jumping to avoid injuries.

I think that's a problem Eteri/Sergei have already identified and their solution is by reducing the height and increase the prerotation: look at Trusova, Shcherbakova, Samsonov quads, yes these elements are big considering the heights of these skaters but do you think Eteri/Sergei will increase the height of the quads as they grow? that's something i'm curious to see but i suspect the answer is no (but i guess that also depends on how the judges will score these smaller quads), Adian Pitkeev's 4T was bigger (and because of that much more inconsistent)

You make many pertinent points about the training the tough tough workout and all the quads practiced. I hope they all have long careers I think they can they may leave the great coach Eteri after two more years or whatever the way Medvedeva did. Like you said they have a conveyor belt of young girl talent coming through so they may only have two years to hit their stride and maximize their results. If they get frustrated with the situation they can leave the way Evgenia did. It seems like a cycle and they cheering these kids out that are unbelievable but 3a may take things to a new level. they have to because the amazing 13 year old Alysa Liu is coming for all of them with her multiple triple axels and multiple quads.

If Alina can only handle another season or two from Eteri and then moves on to somebody else we will all accept that. As you pointed out the training is very grueling and maybe there's only a certain number of years your average girl can handle that. if 3A pass Alina by it will be interesting to see how she accepts that and deals with it. I believe she will be just fine.

As for the great coach not being able to train boys that still a work in progress but obviously she has much more success with girls because she knows how they tick.
She may get a special boy in the coming year or two I would not be surprised. But it takes time and it took EG many years to get to this level with the girls.

In closing I think 3A will all have competitive careers of five years or longer. I hope and pray they stay healthy because they're so special hopefully on the level of Alina and Evgenia. But it's a very rough and tough sport on the body in mind. Only time will tell what happens to 3a. It will be interesting and exciting. But I certainly don't expect them to be retired before Sofia Evgenia or Stanislava.

- - - Updated - - -

But that point is not proven. :scratch2: I spend a lot of time in the men’s threads, and I am not going to talk about the men in the Russian Ladies thread, but saying that posters don’t talk about men retiring doesn’t make it so.

If someone says “boy I really don’t like Alina and maybe she’s going to retire” then someone else who doesn’t want her to retire should say “what do you mean, she’s the greatest and she’s not retiring”:thumbsup:

But if someone merely says “I wonder if Alina is retiring”, isn’t the obvious answer “no she’s not [citation] and thank heavens she isn’t, cause she’s the greatest”

Not some theory about why the question was asked, or the motivation of the poster?

We all give our opinions and some of them are theories. I know she's not retiring so every time I see a question is Alina retiring? I say no. I can't stop people from speculating about it nor do I want to. And yes as Finley and others have pointed out some people want Alina to retire because she takes up a roster spot for Russian ladies that would be open to other people's favorites to compete for. I only see her retiring when she's not competitive for podiums and I don't expect that to happen for a couple years at the earliest. This is Alinas chance to make money and by money I mean millions of dollars and she's only going to do that being competitive and impressing the sponsors.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm quoting this post because it is the first post I have ever seen accusing Team Tutberidze of 'coddling' anyone. After spending this entire season reading various posts about Eteri & co. alternately starving, verbally abusing, injuring children with over training and basically being skating's version of Cruella deVille, let it be duly noted that Alina was coddled this season.

Given that her coaches probably get a portion of her earnings I bet they will find it in their hearts to keep up the coddling! If for no other reason than Alina's continued success benefits them financially. Happy Alina sponsors = more money for everyone.

So even if they can't bring themselves to support Alina out of the goodness of their hearts or actual human concern, I don't think she will be kicked to the curb just because of the other rising stars.

I agree with you about the coddling. Alina would be embarrassed to be coddled by her coaches in favor of the other students. Alina is very good and she's a very hard worker. She will put in the hard work is always and skate well and that's all she can do. The rest is up to lock the judges and figure skating Gods.

But I will be very happy if in the next season Aiina won't have a hematoma on her right ankle during competition that may have cost her Grand Prix final gold or painful and atrocious lookingburns on her right ankle during competitionthat may have cost her Russian national gold. She went through that last year and what a warrior she was.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
look at Trusova, Shcherbakova, Samsonov quads, yes these elements are big considering the heights of these skaters but do you think Eteri/Sergei will increase the height of the quads as they grow? that's something i'm curious to see but i suspect the answer is no (but i guess that also depends on how the judges will score these smaller quads), Adian Pitkeev's 4T was bigger (and because of that much more inconsistent)
Trusova's quad toe is as high as the best men. This is from actual calculated data. Anna's quad lutz isn't too tiny either, at 56 cm, higher than most triples by ladies, even the ones that jump high.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight

I love all these skaters, so, don’t get me wrong with my remarks (it’s not “personal”).
I think Alina should improve her posture and make her movements look softer. She looks heavy in some parts of her programs (mainly Carmen, POT wasn’t affected as much). Maybe it’s because her program is hard and, although she’s prepared for it, she’s not prepared to do it with as much easiness. For me, it’s not as pleasant to watch.
Sasha needs to work on softness, too, but not the same way as Alina. She needs better hands/fingers (I don’t know if you understand what I mean with that). More musicality (although she showed better musicality in her big spender program). And trying to get involved with the music, she seems to focused on her elements. I really hope her programs this season let her show that side of her. She needs to let her body more flowy.
There’s something weird about Anna’s skate (I love her programs, again, don’t get me wrong), but for some reason I don’t enjoy watching them as much. Maybe she’s not as soft with her legs (but not as heavy as Alina). If someone knows what I’m talking about, please, let me know, cause I can’t identify it. Maybe she’s too tiny and her skates look too big in comparison to her legs, I just don’t know what the problem is. That’s why I focus on her face during her programs, she’s so lovely, seems like she feels every note of the music. - Just rewatched some of her videos and found what. Her posture is not very good and her arm movements are sloppy, not well finished. Along with this, her footwork doesn’t seem as well finished for me too; maybe it’s because she doesn’t hold her movements very well.
Alena needs to work on harder combos and needs to get her lutz edge back. Besides that, she’s amazing for me and the most complete of the 3As in terms of artistry and skating skills.
I really want Evgenia to keep working on her lutz and on her 2A. She showed so much improvement in the beginning of last season. I know it’s hard, but she can make it happen. She can work on harder combos, too (I know she’s already doing it). And I was hoping she could get inspired on Jason’s posture and flexibility to improver hers (not that she doesn’t have a good posture, it’s just that I kinda expect more mature skaters to have improving lines and postures).
Sofia S could get a 3A (anything’s possible), improve her landings and, please, could Mishin let her and Elizaveta get decent choreography? These girls desperately need better choreography. Despite jumps, I feel like Liza’s and Sofia’s week points are mainly caused by Mishin’s view of what choreography should be like. It’s just unpleasant and cringey for me.
Elizabet Tursynbaeva can work on more stability to her movements, more musicality and “grace”. Her landings can get softer too. I’m really excited for her this season, I think she’s soooo underrated.
I’m also looking forward to this season’s junior battle between Kamila and Alena Kanysheva. Who do you think will win among these two?
(also looking forward to seeing Sofia Akatieva improving, she’s already so good).

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Trusova's quad toe is as high as the best men. This is from actual calculated data. Anna's quad lutz isn't too tiny either, at 56 cm, higher than most triples by ladies, even the ones that jump high.

Isn't that Ice Scope thing actually very unreliable? I read somewhere on this board about the methodology and it sounded not very accurate at all. So I'm not sure we should be stating that as some kind of super precise fact.

BTW I'm not posting this to say that her quad is small.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Isn't that Ice Scope thing actually very unreliable? I read somewhere on this board about the methodology and it sounded not very accurate at all. So I'm not sure we should be stating that as some kind of super precise fact.

BTW I'm not posting this to say that her quad is small.

Didn't get it from ice scope - but besides the multiple sources that have calculated Trusova's jump height, I've compared the air time roughly with some top men and its basically the same, and airtime is directly correlated to jump height. And just because this type of data isn't precise, including ice scope, it doesn't mean that it doesn't get it within a ballpark. The only error in calculating jump height is the error in measuring the airtime. But yeah my point isn't to give the exact height but I think at this point its fair to say that Trusova's quad toe is comparable in height to those of top men considering the different calculations done. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the height of Shcherbakova's like it is fact though.

zounger

Medalist
Alina Zagitova is growing and she kept the same elements the way they were and things are starting to regress a little bit, if you look her 2a is starting to look small, she often gets off axis in the air. Two seasons ago in juniors it was a strong element for her.

I don't think it got smaller, but the opposite. Distance wise it looks the same and the height looks bigger. For the axis yes, some times looks off.

zounger

Medalist
Alena needs to work on harder combos and needs to get her lutz edge back. Besides that, she’s amazing for me and the most complete of the 3As in terms of artistry and skating skills.

One other technical aspect she needs to work is step sequence to secure level 4 with ease. She is throwing some points there and also may effect her SS mark.