2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 671 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Is it okay to be both happy for Anna because she won her second-straight gold medal on the Grand Prix circuit and a little disappointed because she only scored 226 when many think it should have been a much higher?

Absolutely. Go Anna! :rock:

Still ... I for one am not all that disappointed. She got 226 at Cup of China and 227 at Skate America. That's not bad. Only Trusova, Kostonaia and Kihira have higher scores this season. Anna will be be fine at the Grand Prix Finals. :yes:

Pantsu

On the Ice
You‘re a brave soul for posting this. Or you like drama. Maybe both.

Why brave though, to compare Anna to one of the best Lutz jumpers in the mens field. The same happened with Trusova/Hanyu. I see it as a compliment to the young ladies
By the way, it was extremely satisfying to watch Sasha and Yuzuru sbs quads

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
There’s always some sort of excuse why panel does a very weird selective calling. It just shouldn’t be there in the first place. And Satoko had more URs than those that were called, imo. And her edges too.
Somehow, it now looks like we have different standards for execution for different skaters. Some can still get away with things, while others are hammered for things they don’t even have (I.e. Zagitova’s ‘e’ call). That’s an absurd situation to be in.

The problem with sports judged by humans is judges are only human.

They can and do miss things, some are lenient some are strict

Personally I think Alina's edge was borderline, definitely !
e was harsh but not completely made up.

dhjh811

On the Ice
GP USA: Anna jumps 5 Lz's - 0 edge calls.
Three weeks later.
GP China: Anna jumps 5 Lz's - 5 edge calls.

Now tell me about "conspiracy theory"...

That's not a conspiracy theory, that's called the tech panel at Skate America were being far too lenient with edge calls. Anna's lutzes are at best flat and deserve attention calls. To put a jump with an unclear edge as much as 4 times in one single program?? That's just asking to be penalized. I found the judging here refreshing. If only this could be continued throughout the season for ALL skaters.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Then the judges should have call it as a repeated jump.

You do not get it.

It was a Lutz, planned to be a lutz but with a pre-rotated take off slightly resembling loop take off.

It's an issue of technique.

A flutz is not called as a flip is it? It is still called a Lutz but with a wrong edge.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
That's not a conspiracy theory, that's called the tech panel at Skate America were being far too lenient with edge calls. Anna's lutzes are at best flat and deserve attention calls. To put a jump with an unclear edge as much as 4 times in one single program?? That's just asking to be penalized. I found the judging here refreshing. If only this could be continued throughout the season for ALL skaters.

And herein lies the problem that suddenly popped up after Trusova's world record skating runs: all of a sudden ISU tech callers and judges got strict ...

If they'd been strict right from the start of season, also in those Challenger Series, none of these conspiracy discussions would have happened. For now, lets wait for Rostelekom GP and see how calling and judging goes in Moscow, in the lion's mouth.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
You do not get it.

It was a Lutz, planned to be a lutz but with a pre-rotated take off slightly resembling loop take off.

A flutz is not called as a flip is it? It is still called a Lutz but with a wrong edge.

Anna by far isn’t the only skater with similar take off. There’ve been quite a few on this exact competition, but video makers never rush to do videos about them, just because, well, if you’re from a certain team, you deserve double the hate and criticism compared to others.

zounger

Medalist
You do not get it.

Not to judges though. Don't they know better? By they way, I got it don't worry :laugh:

grem

Match Penalty
That's not a conspiracy theory, that's called the tech panel at Skate America were being far too lenient with edge calls. Anna's lutzes are at best flat and deserve attention calls.
I think tech panels at Skate America, Lombardia Trophy and all previous Anna's competitions were right, and tech panel at CoC is not. Anna's lutzes are fine and always were.

E

eterialskater

That's pretty much every skater except Jin, Chen Kihira and Trusova. Are they gonna bother to check everyone. Nope, only ones they don't like.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Of course, all of you are much better judges, with far more experience than any tech panel

You would obviously do a way better job, with only a small amount of time and resources to make decisions for a dozen or more skaters back to back

The problem with conspiracies is everyone is held to impossible high standards, judges and skaters in fact.

Skaters getting certain calls never deserve them... they're perfect

Judges never make mistakes or feel any pressure to judge properly.

While simultaneously other skaters get bashed and the judges get told by armchair enthusiasts that they cant do their jobs properly.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I guess this is off topic, but is it possible to point one's toes in a skating boot? ;)

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...inF0vB2dZnvSNzeXxkim8iwIk13g5sTCbDTV&usqp=CAc

It seems to me that the best a skater can hope for is to bend her ankle a little forward.

Yes. https://sep.yimg.com/ay/hanbook/yuna-kim-fairy-on-the-ice-2cd-14.jpg

No. https://celebposter.com/thumbs/Yuna-Kim-poster_2372081_b.jpg

:)

Well, you‘re probably right, technically they probably can‘t. Not like this anyway. But I had no other way to explain it, so I used that one. Next time I‘ll write: “The fact that Anna does not manage to bend her ankle a little forward while she‘s skating makes me enjoy her less.“ :laugh:

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I think tech panels at Skate America, Lombardia Trophy and all previous Anna's competitions were right, and tech panel at CoC is not. Anna's lutzes are fine and always were.

Thank god you're not a judge.

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty much every skater except Jin, Chen Kihira and Trusova. Are they gonna bother to check everyone. Nope, only ones they don't like.

They disliked Anna so much she won both SP and LP comfortably xD

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope Liza and her team take a step back and assess the situation with her skating. She has lost yet another opportunity (a GPF berth) due to her low PCS scores. It may be too late to make massive improvements, but they have to figure out some way to get those scores up.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Of course, all of you are much better judges, with far more experience than any tech panel

You would obviously do a way better job, with only a small amount of time and resources to make decisions for a dozen or more skaters back to back

The problem with conspiracies is everyone is held to impossible high standards, judges and skaters in fact.

Skaters getting certain calls never deserve them... they're perfect

Judges never make mistakes or feel any pressure to judge properly.

While simultaneously other skaters get bashed and the judges get told by armchair enthusiasts that they cant do their jobs properly.

Can you pin point exact users who are making up conspiracies? I haven’t read any in the last few pages, but there you are addressing “all” and saying “all are making up conspiracies”.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Of course it could also be that the ISU watched the Skate America and Skate Canada results and saw that some calls were not being made and reminded the tech panels for France and China that they were not to overlook such calls.

Maybe it is actually that Skate America and Skate Canada tech panels missed calls rather than France and China made up calls just to... cause Russian ladies to not win by such huge margins?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Can you pin point exact users who are making up conspiracies? I haven’t read any in the last few pages, but there you are addressing “all” and saying “all are making up conspiracies”.

You don't see them because they have been moderated. Because people have been asked over and over and over to stop it.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
and neither you are.

No, that's right.

I wouldn't want to be

It is a tough and thankless job that they get endlessly bad mouthed for.

I think they for the most part do the best with what they have. Although the consistency of judging each competition needs to be improved, instead of this leniency then strictness flip flop we keep seeing.