2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 681 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I don't know that particular person, so I can't say anything about her/him, I would just say that it is different having an ancestry, that's something you don't choose, and choose some country to live in freely. I would expect some sympathy in that case.

But OK, this came too far from the thread topic.

Don't mind me... I muse way too much xD

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand you. I respect you. Name your best skater. Please.....

Best or favorite? (Since there’s no NFL game for my team today I clearly have too much time:laugh:)

This is the Russian Ladies thread. I think the “best” Russian lady today is Sasha Trusova. I think she is also the best out there, by how skaters are scored, period. (Whether scoring fairly reflects the attributes I believe should be rewarded has been the subject of many threads, and not relevant here).

My “favorite” is Zhenya. She has not always been a fav, but she now trains with a skater I adore, (who is neither Russian nor a lady), and longtime Zhenya fans have been welcoming. Our favs, while having big differences, also have much in common;)

I follow skaters and not a “team”. I certainly understand teams (Go Eagles! Who are not playing today) but my fav skaters come from many different countries. And, to use an example outside of this forum so that it will not engender upset, if Donovan happens to beat any American not named Jason or Andrew, go Donovan!

I hope this helps.:)

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
Best or favorite? (Since there’s no NFL game for my team today I clearly have too much time:laugh:)

This is the Russian Ladies thread. I think the “best” Russian lady today is Sasha Trusova. I think she is also the best out there, by how skaters are scored, period. (Whether scoring fairly reflects the attributes I believe should be rewarded has been the subject of many threads, and not relevant here).

What about the soul? How can someone be compared to Kamila or Sonia or Alena?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about the soul? How can someone be compared to Kamila or Sonia or Alena?

I have not watched Kamila, maybe once? or even Sonia enough to make an assessment. Of the new Russian ladies on the Senior Circuit, I like Alena K. the most, but again, I have not really watched enough to give an opinion.

I think Zhenya has shown what I think is an enormous amount of “soul”. And courage. The fact that I have seen more than two of her programs, considering how few ladies’ programs I watch, is a great compliment :)

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

My “favorite” is Zhenya. She has not always been a fav, but she now trains with a skater I adore, (who is neither Russian nor a lady), and longtime Zhenya fans have been welcoming. Our favs, while having big differences, also have much in common;)

I follow skaters and not a “team”. I certainly understand teams (Go Eagles! Who are not playing today) but my fav skaters come from many different countries. And, to use an example outside of this forum so that it will not engender upset, if Donovan happens to beat any American not named Jason or Andrew, go Donovan!

I hope this helps.:)

We are fighting now El Henry. Like seriously fighting. Alena K is the best Russian Ladies skater right now. I will brook no argument or dissension! *pounds shoe on desk in anger*

Last edited:
If I remember my figure skating history right ;) , think the bit about assuming that Eastern European nations favor Russian skaters goes back to the aftermath of the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1989. All of a sudden there were all these "new" countries active in figure skating. But the people most influential in figure skating circles -- coaches, federation officials, etc.-- were in fact all on loan from Russia.

It wasn't that people in Ukraine love Russia, but rather that many of the individuals who ran the Ukrainian Figure Skating Association were Russians who the year before had been part of the Soviet figure skating association. (Victor Petrenko won the 1992 Olympic gold medal representing the "United Team" of Russia and former soviet states. By 1994, Oksana Baiul won the Olympic gold medal representing Ukraine.)

Anyway, the complaint back then was that all of a sudden, Russia, instead of having one judge on every panel, now had 3 or 4 or 5.

Well, time marches on. That was then, this is now. Those skating federations have had 30 years to develop their own skating programs to serve their own national aspirations and goals. Nowadays I think that the only National Skating Federations that have lingering close ties to Russia are Belarus and possibly Israel.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
If I remember my figure skating history right ;) , think the bit about assuming that Eastern European nations favor Russian skaters goes back to the aftermath of the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1989. All of a sudden there were all these "new" countries active in figure skating. But the people most influential in figure skating circles -- coaches, federation officials, etc.-- were in fact all on loan from Russia.

It wasn't that people in Ukraine love Russia, but rather that many of the individuals who ran the Ukrainian Figure Skating Association were Russians who the year before had been part of the Soviet figure skating association. (Victor Petrenko won the 1992 Olympic gold medal representing the "United Team" of Russia and former soviet states. By 1994, Oksana Baiul won the Olympic gold medal representing Ukraine.)

Anyway, the complaint back then was that all of a sudden, Russia, instead of having one judge on every panel, now had 3 or 4 or 5.

Well, time marches on. That was then, this is now. Those skating federations have had 30 years to develop their own skating programs to serve their own national aspirations and goals. Nowadays I think that the only National Skating Federations that have lingering close ties to Russia are Belarus and possibly Israel.
Please can someone explain what federation means?? Sorry, I know I am pretty stupid 🤦*♀️[emoji23] but everyone uses that word and idk what it means lol

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

Back in '88 I must have been a freak.

I wanted G/G, K/P, Katerina Witt and Brian Orser to win the Gold. That's 2 USSR and 1 East German.

To me good skating is good skating regardless of where people are from. Always has been, I hope it always will be. If I turn into a rampant nationalist that can only root for Canadians I hope someone will take away my skating fan card.

ruga

Final Flight
Please can someone explain what federation means?? Sorry, I know I am pretty stupid ��*♀️[emoji23] but everyone uses that word and idk what it means lol

Basically an organization of a country that takes care of that country's all things connected to figure skating. Something like a national ISU. For example, the federation organizes national events or decides which skaters to send to competitions. The way a federation works is different in each country as the level of skating is very diverse.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Please provide translations if you posting in a language other than English. Golden Skate is a English speaking forum.

ruga

Final Flight
Uhhh guys if you keep writing in Russian everything will be deleted so better provide a translation, even if not a very perfect one.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Basically an organization of a country that takes care of that country's all things connected to figure skating. Something like a national ISU. For example, the federation organizes national events or decides which skaters to send to competitions. The way a federation works is different in each country as the level of skating is very diverse.
Ohhh okay thanks!