2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Orlov

Medalist
Is it accurate that in the interview it was said Anna ate two shrimps and said she was full and Daniil praises this?

No. Daniil said - "I have not yet met a girl figure skater who does not like chocolate" (this remark was made in the context of the playful game-"the most ... in the group", after Q: "the biggest sweet tooth in the group?" A: "Alina Zagitova"). In response to this, the interviewer told about Anya and shrimps - she was with Anya at the Youth Olympic Games. To which Daniil said that Anya would still eat chocolate with pleasure, "but yes I can not say that she is crazy about food". That's it.

Yeah i've seen a bunch of these statements even from Eteri, i honestly don't know how i should feel about it, it feels Soviet-Chinese tricks all over again. Kind of a cringe watch.

What?

Also the whole "X skater couldn't skate after the injury but she secretly practiced jumps anyway and that's good" (i remember Polina Tsurskaya saying she was almost forced to do this in order to keep up, and in the recent interview Daniil said Kostornaya did the same), how is that good if that skater is not fully recovered yet? it's incredibly dangerous.

I was univocal translating to you - the coaches insisted that Alena would not jump when they noticed that she was doing it. Daniil said she did it "тайком" (secretly, by stealth, quiet, behind the back). What exactly did you dislike in my translation? Maybe phrase "If a some person wants to do, you can't stop it."? Daniil wanted to praises the enthusiasm of Alena, and this is a typical figure of speech in the Russian language. But of course the coaches stopped her.

Gosh, people. With you as in court - you try find fault with every word and intonation. Please don't forget about the difficulties of translation and cultural differences.

P.S. And my friend, when a Russian girl [interviewer] says "... two little shrimps" with such intonations it is not necessary to take her words literally :biggrin:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
^

Thank you very much for your translation!

People do forget just how different English and Russian are. We saw this with Raf Arutunian as well earlier this year. In fact with all languages we should all try to be as generous as possible with meaning because very little translates one to one.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
^

Thank you very much for your translation!

People do forget just how different English and Russian are. We saw this with Raf Arutunian as well earlier this year. In fact with all languages we should all try to be as generous as possible with meaning because very little translates one to one.

Totally agreed. That last sentence of yours is so to the point. I know how it works between Dutch and English, two languages that have the same root, two peoples (Brits and Dutch) who even share a lot in cultures and senses of humour, but still can lead to severe misunderstandings whenever humour, sarcasm or even joy is concerned. I mean, I recall being called patronising by someone when I made a joke to a British friend while I was just being sarcastic in general. All my Dutch friends understood perfectly, but not all my British friends did. And vice versa feeling ridiculous while all the friend in question meant was to jokingly clarify a certain issue (haha, we soon made up). These things happen. And I think the same thing applies between Russian and English, except probably even worse because of differences not only in language but in attitude and culture too. As well as sense of humour...and that's not meant as any kind of accusation. Just that these differences exist, and what one person can interpret as a joke can be seen by another as promoting bad habits. Another thing is directness...perfectly acceptable to some, less so to others. But if one is expressing oneself in a different language than their own, some statements would never be expressed in their own language because they would be too direct, but they might in another language because that someone doesn't get the sensitivity of expression in that particular language. Let's be generous on this score! Says someone who comes from a country where directness is actually praised in our own language.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
No. Daniil said - "I have not yet met a girl figure skater who does not like chocolate" (this remark was made in the context of the playful game-"the most ... in the group", after Q: "the biggest sweet tooth in the group?" A: "Alina Zagitova"). In response to this, the interviewer told about Anya and shrimps - she was with Anya at the Youth Olympic Games. To which Daniil said that Anya would still eat chocolate with pleasure, "but yes I can not say that she is crazy about food". That's it.

What?

I was univocal translating to you - the coaches insisted that Alena would not jump when they noticed that she was doing it. Daniil said she did it "тайком" (secretly, by stealth, quiet, behind the back). What exactly did you dislike in my translation? Maybe phrase "If a some person wants to do, you can't stop it."? Daniil wanted to praises the enthusiasm of Alena, and this is a typical figure of speech in the Russian language. But of course the coaches stopped her.

Gosh, people. With you as in court - you try find fault with every word and intonation. Please don't forget about the difficulties of translation and cultural differences.

P.S. And my friend, when a Russian girl [interviewer] says "... two little shrimps" with such intonations it is not necessary to take her words literally :biggrin:

I'm not picking on your translation absolutely (thanks for doing it by the way), i tried to use the bad automatic translation also and my incredibly poor knowledge of russian

1) Misunderstood the whole part about the shrimps, but there were previous interviews where Alina said she didn't drink water during the Olympics (TSL also added that couldn't produce any urine which i can't find evidences), it makes me wonder if they are using the old Soviet-Chinese tricks, restricting the use of water to slow down metabolism or simply because even water applies weight, at least for the key competitions like Olympics or Worlds. We know chinese coaches are also still doing this (that was one of the reasons why Zijun Li left Li Mingzhu)

2) "If a person wants to do, you can't stop it" maybe i took it too literal, but it doesn't sound a great message for an injured skater.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I'm not picking on your translation absolutely (thanks for doing it by the way), i tried to use the bad automatic translation also and my incredibly poor knowledge of russian

1) Misunderstood the whole part about the shrimps, but there were previous interviews where Alina said she didn't drink water during the Olympics (TSL also added that couldn't produce any urine which i can't find evidences), it makes me wonder if they are using the old Soviet-Chinese tricks, restricting the use of water to slow down metabolism, at least for the key competitions like Olympics or Worlds. We know chinese coaches are also still doing this (that was one of the reasons why Zijun Li left Li Mingzhu)

2) "If a person wants to do, you can't stop it" maybe i took it too literal, but it doesn't sound a great message for an injured skater.

The part about not being able to produce urine sample comes from Eteri interview. She said to produce sample you need to drink water and eat fruit (is it really so... with the fruit?) but Alina could not do it because fruit is sugar and she would gain weight (which makes one wonder what does she eat during competitions. You'd think she is burning at least 2500 calories, so it is not like she gains eight from bit of fruit... I hope Eteri dropped that "protein powder and air" diet in her group... i really really do).

neusw

On the Ice

1) Misunderstood the whole part about the shrimps, but there were previous interviews where Alina said she didn't drink water during the Olympics (TSL also added that couldn't produce any urine which i can't find evidences), it makes me wonder if they are using the old Soviet-Chinese tricks, restricting the use of water to slow down metabolism, at least for the key competitions like Olympics or Worlds. We know chinese coaches are also still doing this (that was one of the reasons why Zijun Li left Li Mingzhu)

AHH yes, citing TSL as your source of information always legitimizes any opinion :thumbsup:

Did Dave also tell you that he was there holding the cup?

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I mean, I wouldn't be able to produce urine for a sample if someone was there holding a cup and watching. And that has nothing to do with water consumption. But many of the water/food comments by the Eteri group do raise some eyebrows and its hard to know which ones are true.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I don't understand Russian, but I thought there was an interview were she talked about only being allowed to take sips of water and then spit it out? Or was that just a rumor.

I wonder if the Eteri strategy is to do water loading to decrease weight for the days of competition. Drink a lot of water the days leading up to trick the body into expelling water and then restrict water right before competition so that you've lost water weight. I think this is something wrestlers and combat athletes do but I assume they replenish their water before the actual competition.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The part about not being able to produce urine sample comes from Eteri interview. She said to produce sample you need to drink water and eat fruit (is it really so... with the fruit?) but Alina could not do it because fruit is sugar and she would gain weight (which makes one wonder what does she eat during competitions. You'd think she is burning at least 2500 calories, so it is not like she gains eight from bit of fruit... I hope Eteri dropped that "protein powder and air" diet in her group... i really really do).

At least Evgenia had apples in her diet (she used to take picture of those, i guess she actually eats them afterwards).

AHH yes, citing TSL as your source of information always legitimizes any opinion :thumbsup:

Did Dave also tell you that he was there holding the cup?

As posted above Eteri said it during an interview, i was trying to find that.

sx98423

On the Ice
Tbh, does holding water bottle in hand prove anything? She could take few controlled sips out of that bottle, not the 2 plus liters that are recommended.

exactly, it doesn't prove anything. it doesn't prove that she's only taking a few sips out of the bottle either.

Orlov

Medalist
it makes me wonder if they are using the old Soviet-Chinese tricks, restricting the use of water to slow down metabolism or simply because even water applies weight, at least for the key competitions like Olympics or Worlds. We know chinese coaches are also still doing this (that was one of the reasons why Zijun Li left Li Mingzhu)

This is the subtleties of the process. This is not yours and not my business. They do not do anything forbidden, therefore you cannot accuse them of anything. Moreover, to do this on small pieces of information. Our team has doctors who monitor the health of skaters. I am sure they are professionals. I propose to stop this nonconstructive discussion. At least I'm stopping.

Maybe I somehow write wrong and I can not convey to you the meaning? Or do you doubt my words? Okey, then I will give the verbatim speech in Russian in this part (link to the beginning of this moment) what would you try to translate with google translate. But I warn you - this is lively speech, they are not Cicero, so I will try to give my most accurate translation to help you.

Д: Алена только недавно вышла после травмы...
И: То есть она катается, все хорошо?
Д: Она уже катается. Ей сказали прыгать чуть позже начинать. Но...
И: Не остановить?
Д: Но буквально одну-две тренировки она покаталась, и пока никто не видел ее, она начала прыгать. Там мама начала ей показывать, как у нас любят в фигурном катании родители, кулачки вот эти вот. Но все равно, если человек хочет, то его не остановишь.
И: Как остановить [вопрошая риторически]? И может быть не стоит его останавливать?
Д: Да.. [соглашение с первым риторическим вопросом]. Ну мы, конечно, все равно в определенный момент остановили, потому что врачи для этого и говорят диагнозы и методы восстановления. Поэтому аккуратно все стараемся делать.

D: Alyona has just recently started training after an injury...
I: So she's skating, it's all right?
D: She is already skating. She was told that she should start jumping a little later. But...
I: Can't stop?
D: But literally after one or two trainings while no one saw her, she began to jump. Her mother began to threaten her from afar with her little fist, as parents in figure skating like to do [don't worry it does not sound in Russian as terrible as it sounds in English] But still, if a person wants, you can’t stop him.
I: How to stop [asking rhetorically]? And maybe we shouldn't?
D: Yes... [agreement on the first rhetorical question]. Well, we, of course, stopped at a certain moment, after all, doctors for this and say the diagnosis and methods of recovery. Therefore, we try to do everything carefully.

I want to point out to you the fact that Alena's mother is regularly present at the training sessions. Here, in an interview after the junior championship of Russia, Alyona confirms this when congratulates her mother with birthday, and thanks her "thanks for your work, thanks for supporting me, for sitting with me every time in training".
I say this to remind you of the realities of life - the skaters have parents who love them and care about them, so if you think that the Russian skaters take away from parents and forced to jump despite the injury and all that stuff - is absolutely not true.

Ninamenlo

Spectator
I don't understand Russian, but I thought there was an interview were she talked about only being allowed to take sips of water and then spit it out? Or was that just a rumor.

I wonder if the Eteri strategy is to do water loading to decrease weight for the days of competition. Drink a lot of water the days leading up to trick the body into expelling water and then restrict water right before competition so that you've lost water weight. I think this is something wrestlers and combat athletes do but I assume they replenish their water before the actual competition.

Here is her recent interview with late night Russian talk show (post World Championship) where she talks about weight management and other things

https://www.reddit.com/r/FigureSkat...ght_show/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
D: Alyona has just recently started training after an injury...
I: So she's skating, it's all right?
D: She is already skating. She was told that she should start jumping a little later. But...
I: Can't stop?
D: But literally after one or two trainings while no one saw her, she began to jump. Her mother began to threaten her from afar with her little fist, as parents in figure skating like to do [don't worry it does not sound in Russian as terrible as it sounds in English] But still, if a person wants, you can’t stop him.
I: How to stop [asking rhetorically]? And maybe we shouldn't?
D: Yes... [agreement on the first rhetorical question]. Well, we, of course, stopped at a certain moment, after all, doctors for this and say the diagnosis and methods of recovery. Therefore, we try to do everything carefully.
As I understood, first adult person who detected Alёna performing jumps (probably in the pause between workouts - in older translations of Alina we can see that children use these moments, when coaches are not around, for pampering) was her mom and she couldn't stop the girl, so coaches had to made affect when they came.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
1) Misunderstood the whole part about the shrimps, but there were previous interviews where Alina said she didn't drink water during the Olympics

and at recent Urgant-show on TV she said "Before weigh in I had a sip of water and then spit it out” - i.e. not all time, in some moments only, so she just wanted to highlight that preparation to Olympic was more scrupulous than to other competitions. It was my very first understanding when I heard her words about water, and I can't see reasons to understand her in any other way.

Lovechihuahua

Match Penalty
I really think Anna Pogorilaya will give us a big surprise next season. She can use the comeback ticket for GPs is she wants since she was the world bronze medalist.
She along with Liza can show the world that Russia also has many female skaters who have longevity.

Georgya

On the Ice

1) Misunderstood the whole part about the shrimps, but there were previous interviews where Alina said she didn't drink water during the Olympics (TSL also added that couldn't produce any urine which i can't find evidences), it makes me wonder if they are using the old Soviet-Chinese tricks, restricting the use of water to slow down metabolism or simply because even water applies weight, at least for the key competitions like Olympics or Worlds. We know chinese coaches are also still doing this (that was one of the reasons why Zijun Li left Li Mingzhu)

Why is it a trick? Why do you only mention russian and chinese? 1. It's not forbidden. 2. It's not something Alina is doing every day, it's for a small amount of time before the big competition. 3. Have you seen boxers, even junior ones, before the official weighting. It's way worse. They stop eating and drinking water for 24h (like fasting period in some cultures) - a desperate attempt to make weight. They eat and drink after the mandatory weigh in. I've read some time ago an american boxer collapsed in his hotel room while trying to make weight. So it's not only russian/chinese if you suspect a "dirty trick".:noshake:

I'm not even bothered anymore (more amussed) by the line of thought russians or chinese are always doing something evil, are cheating. A surprisingly alarming amount of horrifying stories/ practices fall under the category of "it sounds evil which means russians/chinese probably did it". Like some americans think that the soviets impregnated their gymnasts and aborted the babies because it somehow had some use and made the gymnasts stronger.:shocked:

People are so outraged with the sipping water thing and making all kind of accusations by taking words out of context.:palmf: For me is just rushing to believe the worst

On the shrimps thing an english speaker also rushed to get it wrong, put it on twitter and voila hundreds of likes, comments about abused russian girls and bad, bad russians.:laugh: