2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 961 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Arbitrary

Medalist
In certain ice conditions Trusova is able to do zero quads and Nathan may do one.
ISU may introduce a new competition style: FS with obstacles. Better with randomly moving obstacles.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I was curious how Graz is and found out it is actually the second largest city in Austria after Vienna!! What are you guys complaining about. :scratch2:

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
I was curious how Graz is and found out it is actually the second largest city in Austria after Vienna!!

That's great! and has nothing to do with the EC 2020, because the championship will NOT be held in Graz, but in a temporary hangar located in an open potato field 14 km away from the city, with no public transportation available to that place (they promise to have a shuttle bus service during the comp, no info if it will be from one spot or several yet).

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I've been watching the practices on Monday and Tuesday in the main rink and did not see any puddles or other inconsistencies on the ice. The ice has already been installed in the middle of December (and used by the public), so it's not only a few days old. The Men have been landing their quads just fine, so I'm not particularly worried about the ice condition. While it was a little troublesome to get to the arena on your own (the shuttle busses only start operating today, there's a detailed schedule on their website) I did not find anything wrong with the arena itself yet.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
So I have no idea who these commentators are, but I switched on the auto-generated subtitles and had them translated to English, and I was amused to hear about Shcherbakova, "Castor" [oil?], and "Coward." :laugh:

It's just :rofl: :rofl: that Trusova gets translated as "coward"--that couldn't be farther from the truth! :laugh2:

I also sometimes see Kostornaia translated as something like "bonfire," but that somehow seems appropriate. "Eyes on fire" and all that. ;)

Speaking of the 3 A's...so last year Aliona won JGPF, Anna won Russian Nationals, and Sasha won their next competition together--Russian Junior Nationals. Since the pattern has remained the same so far, I guess this means it's Sasha's turn to win Euros..? :biggrin:

At Russian Jr Nationals last year, Sasha fell in the SP but skated a perfectly clean FS to win it all, Aliona skated perfectly but it wasn't enough, and Anna fell on the quad that she had managed to land at Russian Sr Nationals.

All of that seems quite possible at Euros...

BUT, now that I'm hearing about these less-than-ideal conditions for Euros, I just hope our super trio stays healthy and injury-free! :pray:

Actually the Coward is a member of another popular Russian Trio.:laugh:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Graz has a rink, it‘s just used for some hockey competition. Don‘t ask me why they didn‘t know this earlier, though, because I have no idea. Not a good look for the Austrian fed at all.
I read somewhere that they booked this rink but then the hockey team moved up to another league & I suppose their schedule has changed.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
So I have no idea who these commentators are, but I switched on the auto-generated subtitles and had them translated to English, and I was amused to hear about Shcherbakova, "Castor" [oil?], and "Coward." :laugh:
It's just :rofl: :rofl: that Trusova gets translated as "coward"--that couldn't be farther from the truth! :laugh2:
I also sometimes see Kostornaia translated as something like "bonfire," but that somehow seems appropriate. "Eyes on fire" and all that.

Well, Alyona's school nickname is "kastorka" (castor oil) and 'kostyor' is 'bonfire' in Russian; and 'trus' in Trusova is Russian for 'coward', so GT (though it does go bonkers frequently when translating from Russian) is close enough here :)

Arbitrary

Medalist
Well, Alyona's school nickname is "kastorka" (castor oil) and 'kostyor' is 'bonfire' in Russian; and 'trus' in Trusova is Russian for 'coward', so GT (though it does go bonkers frequently when translating from Russian) is close enough here :)

"Trus" in the modern Russian means "coward", correct.
But her family name is way older and in the old (300-400 years ago) Russian "trus" means something different like "earthquake", "strong wind wave/hurricane" etc.

Compare "to quake/shake" and "shaken as a coward". Here is why the meaning migrated.

Source:
"The vocabulary of the outdated and meaningless in the modern times words"
Ref in Russian: (http://sotok.net/russkij-mir/6000-slovar-ustarevshix-i-maloponyatnyx-slov-russkogo-yazyka.html)

Resa

On the Ice
That's great! and has nothing to do with the EC 2020, because the championship will NOT be held in Graz, but in a temporary hangar located in an open potato field 14 km away from the city, with no public transportation available to that place (they promise to have a shuttle bus service during the comp, no info if it will be from one spot or several yet).

OFF TOPIC - Now I'm curious: What is the difference between an open potato field and a closed one? I'm Austrian and I have never encoutered closed fields here - what's that?

Arbitrary

Medalist
OFF TOPIC - Now I'm curious: What is the difference between an open potato field and a closed one? I'm Austrian and I have never encoutered closed fields here - what's that?
In Europe you may have a field surrounded with buildings not related to the agriculture at all.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I would expect bad ice on such place. Those are not some problems like when you don't get a room with a view to the beach in a hotel, this can cause truly serious problems. Chilly skaters with insufficient preparation before skate entering bad ice (full of puddles probably), what can be the result? Falls, injuries, cold.

That's not being disrespectful, that's being realistic.

Bad conditions at the Europeans will arguably help Kostornaya. I am not sure if Trusova and Scherbakova should try quads at all. They can spare them for the worlds. What a disaster.

Mawwerg

Final Flight

Not so long ago I've seen on TV a guy who made a field at his backyard and that one was definitely closed. Although if he had cultivated potatoes there he would hardly have fallen into criminal chronicles.:laugh:

Fluture

Record Breaker
Bad conditions at the Europeans will arguably help Kostornaya. I am not sure if Trusova and Scherbakova should try quads at all. They can spare them for the worlds. What a disaster.

Never mind that Kostornaya has to land 3As as well...

Anyway, I‘ve been watching the stream and the ice looks alright so far. Sure, the situation‘s far from ideal but imo, there’s no reason to panic.

Decoder

On the Ice
Of course, we made a mistake but it is not exactly necessary to remind us, that would be considered aggressive. :biggrin:

Like it or not, this is organizational disaster.

Indeed. Just hope the ice condition would be good and there are no injuries.

Decoder

On the Ice
Never mind that Kostornaya has to land 3As as well...

Anyway, I‘ve been watching the stream and the ice looks alright so far. Sure, the situation‘s far from ideal but imo, there’s no reason to panic.

Wish everything would be fine.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Indeed. Just hope the ice condition would be good and there are no injuries.

So far the ice condition looks fine enough. I haven‘t seen any of the guys in the first two groups struggling with it. Unless the situation changes drastically, I really don‘t get why there‘s so much panic in here.