2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 985 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I think Kamila and Ksenia should go, even if they are not clean. The 3rd spot is wide open. Daria has a better package but her 3-3 does not seem to be stable. I have not seen Maiia since JGP and he had problem with jumps.

Maya already tried 4S in the cup. (Though unsuccessfully.) So who knows.

silveruskate

On the Ice
I appreciate that we're actually breaking this down and not arguing opinions only. This is my issue with Anna getting away with 5 uncalled lutz !: she didn't get away with it. While it didn't get called, this was still reflected in her GOE. A ! call wouldn't further reduce her GOE as she was already docked for her takeoff. That's why she got only +3 average for an otherwise perfect jump with imperfect takeoff. A full e call would have brought her to the -1/0/+1 range, in addition to a reduction in BV, but she did not deserve an e. A ! call wouldn't have changed her scoring; not relative scoring in the competition but just her scoring as there is no BV reduction and she rightfully lost GOE for it.

Normally after ! the GOE goes down drastically to around 0. Unfair or not depending on the person, but Anna's CoC ! calls received slightly above 0 average in GOE. In general ! calls from multiple skaters e.g. Mariah, Young You etc. received 0/-1. The idea she is already losing GOE hasn't been established.

ISU Guidelines show that there is a cap of +3 if there is not a good take-off and landing, but it is explicitly stated that positive aspects are independent of negative aspects and that there should be a further reduction of -1 to -3 for ! after having evaluated the positive aspects.

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...y-and-guidelines-for-marking-goe-2019-20/file

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Apparently, the post competition farewell diner and ball is held in a real concert hall, with a polished dance floor and real chamber orchestra/electric band under a conductor's baton.

And a dance master inviting everybody to pair off (Anna and Artur, Sasha and Morisi, Alyona and Dmitriy Aliyev :) and dance a classic Viennese waltz. Hopefully there will be some videos of the successful, and not so successful attempts at ball room dancing, from Aliyev's IG, reloaded here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7y769IpEmP and more.

Aleksandra seemed to have grown so much since the start of school year photos, her light turquoise pantsuit seems just a little too small on her now: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7y7yOgpVyK/

Fluture

Record Breaker
Anna said that after the free skate there was no heating in that hotel. When you think it can’t get worse... no hot water, no heating, good god.

They turned off the heating in the rink and the skaters had to stay for doping control. She doesn‘t say anything about the hotel in her interview, so please don‘t invent things.

I appreciate that we're actually breaking this down and not arguing opinions only. This is my issue with Anna getting away with 5 uncalled lutz !: she didn't get away with it. While it didn't get called, this was still reflected in her GOE. A ! call wouldn't further reduce her GOE as she was already docked for her takeoff. That's why she got only +3 average for an otherwise perfect jump with imperfect takeoff. A full e call would have brought her to the -1/0/+1 range, in addition to a reduction in BV, but she did not deserve an e. A ! call wouldn't have changed her scoring; not relative scoring in the competition but just her scoring as there is no BV reduction and she rightfully lost GOE for it.

But you can‘t actually know whether she lost GOE for it or not? Fact is, she was not called, and thus it is logical to conclude that she didn‘t lose GOE either as we have no way of knowing what the judges were thinking when assigning the GOEs for each jump. I don‘t think the argument: “Oh, she wasn‘t called but actually she WAS called, you see.“ makes too much sense. Anna‘s jumps during the FS were worse than during the SP, maybe it was fatigue or overtraining (at the practice they looked easier), I don‘t know. But they looked more muscled and I don’t think any of the lutzes deserved +5 GOE on any rate. If there‘s a mistake with a jump it should be called. Even if the judges had supposedly deducted GOE without calling the edge (which I don‘t believe to be the case), this wouldn‘t make it right either.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think Kamila and Ksenia should go, even if they are not clean. The 3rd spot is wide open. Daria has a better package but her 3-3 does not seem to be stable. I have not seen Maiia since JGP and he had problem with jumps.

It will be interesting to see how the ineligible skaters place. I’m sure Valieva and probably Sinitsina will podium, but Akatieva, Samoldikina and Petrosyan could very well round out the top 5.

Amei

Record Breaker
Alexandra is busy jumping quads after quads at training today (Daniil has video in his stories) :biggrin:

Genuine question - is it more or less concerning that her problem is not that she's 'losing' her jumps, but a mental problem that rears it's head during her competition skates?

I don't think she is at risk of being pulled from Worlds unless she gets injured. The only real competition to Kostornaia/Shcherbakova/Trusova sweeping Worlds podium is Rika and Trusova has beaten her twice already:
Skate Canada - Trusova beat Rika to win gold, in that competition Rika had almost a 7 point lead going into the FS and did not fall, meanwhile Trusova did have a fall on her 4S.
GPF - neither skater had a very good SP and likewise didn't have stellar FS's.

And who would replace her?
- Tuktamysheva - she doesn't score well in her second mark and she's not been super consistent this season with her triple axel, while she's learned a quad jump her Nationals program leaves people with the same impression, that she's not doing a competitive layout.
- Both Medvedeva and Zagitova have said their seasons are done, both have been busy with show skating for the last month and not any hardcore competition training, neither were exactly consistent on GP series. And neither of them have technical elements to challenge the 3 triple axels or the 4S by Rika if she's semi-clean. The only way for them to really beat her would be to hope that she has mistakes, which while Rika hasn't been a beacon of consistency counting on her to falter is a poor strategy.

Draculus

On the Ice
Anna said that after the free skate there was no heating in that hotel. When you think it can’t get worse... no hot water, no heating, good god.
Heating at the rink was turned off. While she waited for doping test. Not at the hotel.

McBibus

On the Ice

- Can you generally describe your experience at your first European Championship? For example, Alyona said before the start that she could not imagine how it would be. What about now?

Alyona: I don’t know, I expected something more. I thought it would be somehow different, but it turned out exactly the same. Only on the nameplate the name has changed, that’s all.

Anna: I also can’t say that these competitions were somewhat different from others. I tried not to think about the status in order to be less nervous. Rather, I can take my experience from my skating, and not because the competition has
more status.

Interesting effect of their dominance.
When I competed (bycicle racing) more stake meaned stronger opposition with many more people able to change the outcome of the race.
Here they go on the rink one at a time and their far above any external competition so any event it just the same "rink derby" A vs A vs A.
On the other side 3A means there are no medals for the rest of the work (actually Rika is the only one with a chance)

When I understand correctly, the medalist had press obligations and doping control lasting well into the night and slept only little before being driven to the main rink for training and rehearsing of the gala exhibition.
Explain why Aleksandra fell twice, Alyona once probably. Anna held herself up best, she is strong!

Antidoping can be very fast, but it could become very long and boring if you can't produce a sample.*
While the others probably could go to antidoping just after their skate, the girls could probably take onlyl after the press conference.
Not respectful to not provide an heated room (an electric heater could do it so was just a lack of kindness)

*OT I remember one time after a mountain stage it took me two hours to fill those damn vials.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Yeah this is the confusion, also. I love Alina and no disrespect to her, but Anna's SPs at Euros and GPF were as good as or even better than any 82+ SP Alina has ever put out. And that's with the combo in the second half. But maybe we will see higher scores at worlds, as it did take Alina a full season to raise her PCS. Maybe the judges need her convincing in the form of time with Anna.

Wow, quite controversial. Anna's 2A deserves +5 and it's unfair she doesn't get it, but technically Alina is better at spins and jumps in the SP. Her 3F is way more textbook, has better height, edge quality and distance, also includes a transition into the jump (3-turn I believe). Same with 3Lz-3Lo but the difference in quality is even bigger, and Alina has greater landing speed. Alina's spins are more centred, and the same speed if not more. Anna has the flexibility that's for sure. About PCS I'm not sure, Anna is fabulous with the music she has, but the Swan Lake for Alina as an Olympic program was cut and choreographed to perfection.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Russian junior nationals next week!!!! (Why is it starting on a Tuesday??) I can’t wait to see who gets on the team! And we haven’t seem Maia Khromik or Daria or Kamila in quite a while, I wonder if Kamila is over her injuries? Does anyone know? If Daria has upped the difficulty? If Maia will land her quad? If Frolova’s consistency will be an issue?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Tchaikovskaya - about the falls of Russian skaters: I want the champion to win cleanly

The merited coach Yelena Tchaikovskaya commented on the results of the European Figure Skating Championships in Graz (Austria), where Eteri Tutberidze's pupils - Alyona Kostornaya, Anna Shcherbakova and Alexandra Trusova - occupied the entire podium.

“It was absolutely expected that we would take the entire pedestal. It’s a little frustrating that they, apparently, have not yet calculated their strength to the end. Here, coaches should consider how to improve. After all, all three fell during their free programs. I want the champion to win cleanly, without failures. They train new elements, but competent calculation is important at the European Championship, you should try to avoid mistakes. I'm not sure that Kostornaya needed to insert this Lutz at the very end. She was already without legs, went into it without proper entry, so she fell. It was possible to put Lutz earlier, but here it is necessary for coaches to think. They have something to think about, so that by the time of the World Championships, the skating runs will be without falls, so there will be a different effect and impression.

But all three girls showed what female figure skating will be in the next decade. Without quadruple jumps, nothing goes now. This is our breakthrough. But haven't we in Russia been dictating directions in all disciplines all our life? It is pleasing that we are making it clear how to skate in the future. It makes me very happy ”, Tchaikovskaya said in an interview with Championship's correspondent Andrey Pankov.
-----
From: https://www.championat.com/other/ne...tsja-chtoby-chempionka-vyigryvala-chisto.html

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
They turned off the heating in the rink and the skaters had to stay for doping control. She doesn‘t say anything about the hotel in her interview, so please don‘t invent things.

My mistake! But thanks for implying the worst :)

Not sure it makes any of it better though.
If she noticed the heat was off, it means it got really cold.
The whole organization of this event was off from start to finish.

Fluture

Record Breaker
My mistake! But thanks for implying the worst :)

Not sure it makes any of it better though.
If she noticed the heat was off, it means it got really cold.
The whole organization of this event was off from start to finish.

It‘s not like you weren‘t implying the worst either, is it?

Honestly, the organization was bad at times and there were mishaps that shouldn‘t happen at events like these, believe me, I was there and had to witness it first hand. But the insane amount of bashing that went on before the event had even started, calling the ice inadequate and a danger to the athletes instead of listening what they themselves or people at the arena had to say was not warranted either. So, forgive me, if given the history of your posts on this matter, I didn‘t mean to imply but genuinely thought the “worst“. :shrug:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
It‘s not like you weren‘t implying the worst either, is it?

Honestly, the organization was bad at times and there were mishaps that shouldn‘t happen at events like these, believe me, I was there and had to witness it first hand. But the insane amount of bashing that went on before the event had even started, calling the ice inadequate and a danger to the athletes instead of listening what they themselves or people at the arena had to say was not warranted either. So, forgive me, if given the history of your posts on this matter, I didn‘t mean to imply but genuinely thought the “worst“. :shrug:

History? I only wrote once, only because people started calling what athletes actually said to be someone’s “assumptions”.
I wasn’t implying anything, I simply misread that part, that’s all. You on other hand, instead of thinking that it might be an honest mistake, said that I’m inventing things.
And it’s not like this “bashing”, or should we fairly call it criticism, comes out of nowhere.
Not only athletes complained, but commentators too, like Tarasova, Averbukh.
And they’ve seen a lot of events and rinks in their lives, if this one stood out, I guess it speaks volumes.
This criticism didn’t appear out of thin air because someone has a personal grudge against Graz/Austria/that particular hotel or something.
Reading this much coming from participants of the event I guess makes people believe them, doesn’t happen very often that people go out to criticize the organization of the event that openly.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Goncharenko: Trusova at the European Championship confirmed her title of "Russian rocket"

Sasha Trusova confirmed her title of "Russian rocket." She showed very active and assertive skating runs - both in the short program, and in the long program. In the short there an annoying error on her Axel. It can be seen that she learns the triple Axel, she is an ambitious person. Therefore, she jumped the Axel in 2.5 turns. And in her free program, she had a little race after her jumps. She was focused precisely on them ", Goncharenko said over the phone.

"Everything else - the image, the movements, it seemed to me, were secondary to her. She wanted to win with her strong set of jumps. It didn’t work. But still she had a chic quadruple Toeloop. I think even in the men I didn’t see such a high-quality and high Toeloop, perhaps only from Dima Aliyev. She performed this difficult jump at the level of the best men. At the moment this is a well-deserved third place ".

According to Goncharenko, Trusova’s performance is affected by the changes made to her programs. “I got the impression of some lack in the elements, because the content is constantly changing, something is moved around, another is being added. Before the World Championships there is time remaining, but you need to agree on some specific set and skate this out ”, the coach believes.

if Shcherbakova had not fallen on her Lutz, she would have been first at the European Championship

“I liked Anechka Shcherbakova very much. It seemed to me that from the previous start, she even improved at the European Championship - in expressiveness, image, movement, plasticity. Although the time period from the Russian Championship was very small, I still noticed it.

Jumping quads is always difficult, and the European Championships are an adult and serious start. Somewhere her nerves started playing, and she messed up. Without this, of course, she would've been first. But sport is sport, it’s a struggle with yourself. You must pay tribute to your opponent and go forward ”.

Goncharenko considers Kostornaya’s victory at the European Championship well-deserved

“Kostornaya, of course, jumps a superb Axel. It is beautiful and fully rotated, gives her an undeniable advantage. A very well-executed short program gave her a lead, which, in fact, allowed her to become the European Champion. A torn triple Lutz at the end of her free program should be understood as uncharacteristic and not receive any special attention. In general, apart from this annoying moment, her free program was also very high-quality and with good Axels. Well done, Alyona, this is a well-deserved victory ”.

“You can call her the favorite to win the World Championships, but it would be more correct to say that she is one of the contenders. You can’t but respect and never underestimate her rivals. Her set of (elements), of course, will be the same, for to learn something new there’s simply no time. So, she has to skate out her programs with three Axels. If there is a perfect delivery, she can claim Gold. But Anya and Sasha can also claim. With ideal skating runs, each of them can become World Champion ”.
-----
From various small snippets compiled from: https://rsport.ria.ru/20200126/1563895607.html , and other.

Goncharenko being a little too kind here, IMO, but the euphoria of all these medals mellowed even the staunchest critics.

Fluture

Record Breaker
History? I only wrote once, only because people started calling what athletes actually said to be someone’s “assumptions”.
I wasn’t implying anything, I simply misread that part, that’s all. You on other hand, instead of thinking that it might be an honest mistake, said that I’m inventing things.
And it’s not like this “bashing”, or should we fairly call it criticism, comes out of nowhere.
Not only athletes complained, but commentators too, like Tarasova, Averbukh.
And they’ve seen a lot of events and rinks in their lives, if this one stood out, I guess it speaks volumes.
This criticism didn’t appear out of thin air because someone has a personal grudge against Graz/Austria/that particular hotel or something.
Reading this much coming from participants of the event I guess makes people believe them, doesn’t happen very often that people go out to criticize the organization of the event that openly.

I don‘t even know the hotel they were talking about since I‘m not from Graz and had a different accommodation. (Where the hot water worked just fine btw lol) My problem was a different one and if you had read the posts you would have seen that many were ridiculously disrespectful.

Criticism doesn‘t come out of nowhere, the organization WAS off. I don’t know why anyone would ever deny that. I certainly wouldn‘t, I complained about it myself. It’s about the way people make it sound and how they were acting as if the athletes were in danger when the ice was perfectly fine. An ugly arena doesn‘t harm anyone, it‘s a bad look for the Austrian fed but nothing else. And you were all like: “just when you thought it couldn‘t get any worse“ which is enough implying for me.

This is all off-topic but to sum it up quickly because I really don‘t want to get into this whole ordeal again:

Was the organization off at Euros in Graz? Definitely, in some areas. In others it worked alright.

Was it the worst event ever? Also no.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Someone did us the biggest favour of filming alt angles of all of the 3A. It's almost like seeing a whole new performance each time and the quality is amazing. Thank you kind stranger. <3

Aliona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR47gc2yPAg
Anna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chnr9NnMoLg
Sasha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxKdq3pEqto

Aliona's skating skills are like a hot knife passing through butter, her edge control is out of this world I couldn't believe it how much she just glides on the ice in that video.

Lzbee

Final Flight
Yeah this is the confusion, also. I love Alina and no disrespect to her, but Anna's SPs at Euros and GPF were as good as or even better than any 82+ SP Alina has ever put out. And that's with the combo in the second half. But maybe we will see higher scores at worlds, as it did take Alina a full season to raise her PCS. Maybe the judges need her convincing in the form of time with Anna.

And a correction to previous poster: Alina didn't start scoring 80+ after her big titles, the first time was at the Olympics prior to any world/olympic wins and it was well over 80. It was because that was her best performance of the program, hopefully Anna does the same at worlds though it won't be as much as the backloading rule has changed since then.

Alina has scored above 80 five times in total, only two of those times were above 82. Three of the scores were last season with Russian number 1 status, including Russian nationals and Rostelecom. And the two times in 2017-2018 season, she was allowed to backload all jumps giving her an extra 1.19 points over Anna's base value.

So taking all that into account, I wouldn't say Anna is massively underscored considering she has a 78.29.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Shame about that fall but it was actually a deep outside-edge completely rotated absolutely no under-rotation quad Lutz from Sasha. If only she landed it!! Her body seemed to be falling too far behind her, I'm really not sure how that happened...it seemed to occur somewhere in the last two rotations but everything else was completely perfect?

silveruskate

On the Ice
Alina has scored above 80 five times in total, only two of those times were above 82. Three of the scores were last season with Russian number 1 status, including Russian nationals and Rostelecom. And the two times in 2017-2018 season, she was allowed to backload all jumps giving her an extra 1.19 points over Anna's base value.

So taking all that into account, I wouldn't say Anna is massively underscored considering she has a 78.29.

I agree. Not underscored at all relatively I would say. But 0.33 + 0.53 = 0.86?