2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I admire Plushenko as a skater. But as a coach he didn't help Tarakanova. As for me, she regressed since she was under Eteri.
I wish he could go with Nastya to a competition at least once in a season. It looked as if he couldn't care less about her.

Not sure if this is true.

Results were mostly the same with Eteri, but her posture was a bit more sloppy due to intense choreography and transitions, so much (sometimes unnecessary) work. Last season she was more composed while still giving the performance during steps sequence and choreo sequence.

Where Plushenko's team failed is that to me they should have realized the backloaded combo in the SP was too risky and inconsistent earlier, if they moved it as first element at JGPF she might have medalled there; and you're right he should have travelled with her at least once, she needed a bit of his reputation especially at Russian Nationals.

I mean, Eteri will potentially have 5 girls at senior nats next year (Zagitova, 3A + Kanysheva). Its not like they can just zap three of them away, especially if they continue to perform well.

New rule: each coach can send only 2 skaters for discipline at senior nationals, that would be a way.

Love it.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I admire Plushenko as a skater. But as a coach he didn't help Tarakanova. As for me, she regressed since she was under Eteri.
I wish he could go with Nastya to a competition at least once in a season. It looked as if he couldn't care less about her.

I wouldn't say it that hard. Anastasia had lower score during JGP circuit than the last year but I don't think it was because her skills has regressed. Well, changing a coach itself brings some issues, new style, environment etc. And Nastya gave me good impression on the ice during the season, she made some mistakes in int. competitions, but she also did some great performances, esp. during russian senior nationals. Also her programs were very well choreographed. I don't think Plushenko would be bad coach (or his team), it's maybe only the question of the time he is dedicating to his students.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Everyone who leaves Eteri gets worse not better as a figure skater. As they used to say in the old days so the proof is in the pudding.

As for The Great Evgeni Plushenko he's got so much going on maybe he's not the right coach for a talented young skater like Anastasia T who needs guidance and instruction daily. Did Plushenko help Adelina at all or did he just put her in Ice shows so she can make some real money as a former Olympic champion?

I disagree about the first part. Nastya improved in many aspects this season. She was already a powerful skater last season and Eteri and Daniil gave her programs that reflected that. I enjoyed them a lot and thought they fit her very well. She was also a bit more consistent last year. But at the same time she always seemed a bit hectic, totally unrefined. This season it looked like Plushenko (or his team, whoever does the main part of coaching there) put some work into making her a more refined skater. She didn‘t lose her power and energy but rather just held positions a bit longer. This being said, they made some mistakes too, that’s undeniable. Backloading the combo in the SP or the choreography of the SP as a whole. It seemed a bit too early, even for someone like Nastya. But I don‘t think Nastya got worse under Plushenko at all, especially since she had to adapt to the transition as well and missed a bit of training time. She still made JGPF and could have medaled there - if not for the mistake in the SP. I was hoping Plushenko‘s team could develop her further but now it doesn‘t look like it. A shame, but Panova is a good coach a well - and the transition should be easier.

I agree on the second part, though, it didn‘t seem like Plushenko was all that involved. He is busy, I get that, but if his student makes the JGPF... well, that‘s a big deal, he could have accompanied her at least to that competition... he might have had some input choreography wise but overall, I think his assistants did the most of training, coaching and preparing for competitions.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
It doesn't have to be the same. He knows he has to stay on top of his weight or I will throw things off same with the girls. Things happen differently to every skater but all of them are consumed with their weight and not even going up an ounce or 2. Depending on the skater that may lead to other issues down the road like what's happened to Gabby and Gracie who have the most serious life issues of any skater in recent years and they don't exactly come from EGS group. If they did come from EGs group all hell would break loose.

It's going to be an amazing offseason so much to discuss and debate.
The difference is an adult is done growing and has hit their adult weight. It is healthy to maintain this weight. A 13-14 year old is likely still growing and developing and it’s not necessarily healthy to stay at the same weight throughout their teenage years. And if they are trying to maintain weight in season, this should be done under supervision of a dietician. I’d be hard pressed to find a dietician advocating chocolate and sips of water for competitive athletes who haven’t finished growing.

And both Yulia and Zhenya have described troubling eating patterns after leaving Eteri.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Serious attitude issues also.

And not for the first time unfortunately.

I doubt she’ll be better off at Snow Leopards, talent not withstanding. No trainer wants a disturbing factor in their group, because it affects the whole process and sets a bad example.

And given Panova’s reaction to the Shabotova situation I doubt she will be the best trainer for Anastasia.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Serious attitude issues also.
I doubt she’ll be better off at Snow Leopards, talent not withstanding, no trainer wants a disturbing factor in their group, because it affects the whole process and sets a bad example.

?? I haven‘t translated the article, maybe I should... What‘s going on?

Edit: I just read it via google translate and it‘s... wow, I‘m a bit shocked. That‘s not nice to reveal all those problems Nastya faced. Like, come on, just say that there were problems with communication and the decision was reached that working together wouldn’t be possible anymore, we don‘t need to know all the details! She is a teenager, they are emotional and honestly, it didn‘t seem like an attitude issue from what I read. More like she was overwhelmed and scared of trying 3A and quads and stuff like that. Whatever it is, this doesn‘t set a good light on her and I‘m disappointed. I’m by no means a supporter of Buyanova but she handled the issue with Sotskova in a classy way. Seems like we can‘t have an off-season without coaching change drama...

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
?? I haven‘t translated the article, maybe I should... What‘s going on?

She has always had stress issues, she's always been very emotional, apparently they were able to overcome that throughout the season but recently she panicked (screaming and crying a lot apparently) once they started working on 3A and quads. Plushenko talked with the parents and they decided to go back to her former coach Panova.

I would say Edwin's post is a little hyperbolic, you can overcome this.

Fluture

Record Breaker
She has always had stress issues, she's always been very emotional, apparently they were able to overcome that throughout the season but recently she panicked (screaming and crying a lot apparently) once they started working on 3A and quads. Plushenko talked with the parents and they decided to go back to her former coach Panova.

I would say Edwin's post is a little hyperbolic, you can overcome this.

Thank you. Still, I have to say I‘m not entirely convinced he had to share this with the media. Sometimes it‘s just better not to reveal all the stuff and opt for a more general explanation... “there were problems in communication, we couldn‘t overcome them and decided together it would be best for her to go back to her old coach. I wish her all the best.“ Something like that.

I wouldn‘t call Nastya‘s problem an attitude issue either. She always seemed very emotional and she‘s a teenager.. this can be a dangerous combination sometimes. And it seems like she was scared of learning 3A and quads. I hope Panova will be able to help her. Nastya is really talented.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I wouldn’t say so. Akat’yeva has the ideal disposition to learn competitive triple Axels.
She is young, she is strong, she is bright, she is eager, she is with the best rink in the world right now.
It is probably easier to learn the “triksel” early, not necessarily to compete it straight away but rather to hone it to perfection and then just maintain it through the rest of your career.

There’ll be lots of children competitions still for her to try any new elements and combinations before things will get serious in her first junior year.

#TeamTutberidze for Progress

Fluture

Record Breaker
https://rsport.ria.ru/20190415/1552708270.html

Here Panova says the final decision is not yet made re Tarakanova... This doesn’t sound too good... I just hope Nastya gets enough time for preparation for next season, wherever she decides to train in the end.

I love how Alina is holding the little girl. Too cute. And the two Alenas next to each other. It‘s good to see Kostornaya back on ice again. Hopefully her recovery is going well.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
https://rsport.ria.ru/20190415/1552708270.html

Here Panova says the final decision is not yet made re Tarakanova... This doesn’t sound too good... I just hope Nastya gets enough time for preparation for next season, wherever she decides to train in the end.

Obvously, Tarakanova is on probation at Snow Leopards. I have read on this board it is highly unusual for skaters to switch rinks during the season, unless serious issues arise.
We still don't know why Kanysheva has left Snow Leopards?

Much now depends on Panova and her team to work on the psychology part of including a new member to their rank of charges. Clear agreements must be made between the head of training staff and Tarakanova, evaluations planned, sanctions/punishment/praise/rewards agreed on and imposed if necessary.
Snow Leopards don't want a troublemaker/headcase amongst their skaters with so many young prospects in their charge.

It won't be the first time nor the last that a skater will be removed from the ranks when there is an incompatibility that cannot be overcome.

If Anastasiya can be made comfortable and confident again under Panova, she will be a most welcome addition to the Snow Leopards.

About Snow Leopards, who is the strongest trainer around, the one that will handle the 'fishing rod' when the skaters learn triples and quads? With the current state and progress of Russian figure skating, Anastasiya will have to learn those elements when she wants to compete with the best?
With the other same age girl skaters at Snow Leopards, she will be more able to hide in the pack?